Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I plan on doing something similar but with the caveat that it's going to rain Tarantulas because that seems fun.

Now if only FW sold one with assault cannons.

An outrider detachment of tarantulas seem like it'd shore up any firepower issues real quick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

SteelMentor posted:

Gotta take into account stances as well, those cultists would be a lot taller if they were standing straight.

See also: Deathwatch marines striding forwards rather than Power Squatting™.

Also Eschers have heeled boots, I'm fairly sure.

The only true bummer is that nu-eschers are definitely bigger than escher-retros.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Played a 1500 point game against Necrons. Here are the lessons learned:

1) GodDAMN are twenty blocks of Warriors hard to kill. He pulled the same daisy chain formation that Ultras use to link back to Bobby G to his Cryptek but since he was doing it with sixty dudes his frontage was drat near the length of the board. That also made it hard to focus fire on one squad, especially when he walked forward and blew a hole where the center of my line used to be.

2) However, as a mostly infantry army with only a 5" movement, they're slow as hell. And with his formation forced to pinwheel around the center Cryptek, he really couldn't maneuver worth a drat which broke the whole thing up once I managed to get some guys into melee on his flanks.

3) That lack of maneuverability cost him the game, since I killed all his Destroyers and his Destroyer Lord in short order, which meant he couldn't get to the objectives he needed.

4) Speaking of which, the Tactical Escalation mission is incredibly swingy. I got lucky and managed to score the four points I needed to win off of one objective on my flank being squatted on by a lone Techmarine.

5) Razorback spam is INDEED a thing. I had firing line of Razorbacks blowing away the Destroyers with Lascannons and Plasma Guns, and once they had shot away all the high value targets, I drove 'em into the Warrior lines to soak all the Overwatch for my chargers.

6) Raven Guard Tactics on a Sternguard squad in cover pretty far back? Very effective. Similar unit advancing out of cover to charge the Necron line? Less so, but by that point it had to be done, since I was losing the shooting war.

7) Just because you CAN put Scouts behind enemy lines doesn't mean you SHOULD. :sigh:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

adamantium|wang posted:

Holy hell who bought you that ahahahahaha

The slack both giveth and it taketh

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I'm excited for the new Necromunda plastics at least in part because I was gonna use Necromunda gangers as conscripte to offset my uniform gas mask regular guys and that's a whole lot easier now.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Stanyer89 posted:

yknow what i think? dont really matter what i think. once that first pellet goes past your head, power level and all that poo poo just goes right out the window

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Corrode posted:

I'm excited for the new Necromunda plastics at least in part because I was gonna use Necromunda gangers as conscripte to offset my uniform gas mask regular guys and that's a whole lot easier now.

Yeah I love to idea of conscript female guard, with a Greyfax commissar conversion leading then maybe? Should be pretty great. Hope the kits have a little bit of variety.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Remind me guys, I've got a sonic cleaner and I'm going to strip some old Blood Bowl metals to sell, what UK available product should I be putting in it?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

If they're metal you don't even need to use the sonic. Just soak them in acetone for a few hours.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Thundercloud posted:

Remind me guys, I've got a sonic cleaner and I'm going to strip some old Blood Bowl metals to sell, what UK available product should I be putting in it?

Brown Dettol.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Yeah I love to idea of conscript female guard, with a Greyfax commissar conversion leading then maybe? Should be pretty great. Hope the kits have a little bit of variety.

I'm not gonna make an all-female conscript unit because that way lies madness but it'll be nice to have a mix of plastic gangers to do something visually distinct without having to hunt down OOP metals from two decades ago.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
My favourite thing about the new Eschers is they're burly, like they loving should be. Bravo to GW for the original Eschers (apparently the only company to manage it on their female minis) not sexualising the poo poo out of them, and bravo for these ones too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Corrode posted:

Brown Dettol.

I'm not gonna make an all-female conscript unit because that way lies madness but it'll be nice to have a mix of plastic gangers to do something visually distinct without having to hunt down OOP metals from two decades ago.

Victoria Miniatures does female Guard bits for a price.

You know you're tempted.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Shockeh posted:

My favourite thing about the new Eschers is they're burly, like they loving should be. Bravo to GW for the original Eschers (apparently the only company to manage it on their female minis) not sexualising the poo poo out of them, and bravo for these ones too.

I like women that can kick my rear end.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

I like women that can kick my rear end.

:same:

Bodes well for Sisters updates.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Looking forward to the new Necro, although a bit annoyed that the new Escher will make my older collection look a bit weird.

Thundercloud posted:

If you're in the UK just grab Biostrip. Best mini cleaner I've found, although it can cause problems with some resins.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They mentioned the gangs engaging in gene-modification, which certainly referred to the Goliaths but also explain the tall Escher. Primaris gangers.

I'm so completely looking forward to this.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

glitchkrieg posted:

Looking forward to the new Necro, although a bit annoyed that the new Escher will make my older collection look a bit weird.

If you're in the UK just grab Biostrip. Best mini cleaner I've found, although it can cause problems with some resins.

It works amazingly well on plastics but melted some Forgeworld resin bits for me :v

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'm braced for all the new Necromunda stuff to be resin since it's Forgeworld doing it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I thought they had granted FW access to the underground plastics lab for some stuff.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Blood Bowl's been largely plastic, and even FW resins will likely cost less than the eBay prices for old Necromunda models. Or at least drive down their demand and prices.

It's win-win.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Endman posted:

I'm braced for all the new Necromunda stuff to be resin since it's Forgeworld doing it.

The article specifically says they're multi-part plastics.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
might depend on how well it does.

I seem to remember the original plan for Blood Bowl involving way less plastic releases than they've had.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm expecting FW to step in on the niche stuff the way they have with BB. So stuff like named characters, Spirers, exotic hive monsters, etc.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Man, no wonder I kept getting my rear end kicked by Imhotek. He said units within 6 inches of the target get hit for d3 mortal wounds on a 4+, when it's actually on a 6. I need to read people's rules more.

He also said My Will Be Done gives him rerolls and it doesn't (I lost my vanguard squad charging a warrior block because of him rerolling overwatch), and that the ghost ark's gauss arrays fire 12 shots each instead of 10 and gives warriors +1 to reanimation protocols in addition to rolling twice. Also that the ghost ark's guns were assault, so he was advancing and shooting with it. And if I tried to charge his monolith it's an automatic d6 mortal wounds, no roll required. He was giving his monolith the -1 to hit penalty for moving and firing heavy weapons, but also saying it could still shoot after advancing. His monolith and night scythe had quantum shielding, too.

Dude is the community organizer, he should know his rules better.

Edit: Didn't realize monoliths were BS 4+, so yeah he was using the rule that it ignores the penalty for moving correctly.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 16, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

DiHK posted:

Gwenevere and Genevieve are both lady names, why are you posting pics of John Hodgeman?

It's the author, who looks like someone who would be cool with a 16 year old vampire girlfriend.

The only true bummer is that nu-eschers are definitely bigger than escher-retros.
Have two different Escher gangs. That's what I'm gonna do.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Old Eschers are now juvies

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

chutche2 posted:

Dude is the community organizer, he should know his rules better.

He knows exactly what his rules are, he also knows that he's probably the only person who knows his rules.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Babe Magnet posted:

He knows exactly what his rules are, he also knows that he's probably the only person who knows his rules.

That's true. No one else plays necrons here. I tried making his list in battlescribe and it's like 40 points over, too.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

chutche2 posted:

That's true. No one else plays necrons here. I tried making his list in battlescribe and it's like 40 points over, too.

Funny WFB cheater story.

There was a well known guy in my city who used to play fast and loose with rules, points etc. all plausibly deniable stuff but over time it became a bit of a pattern for him to "forget" something really specific or overstate how useful something was. One day he played against Ben, who I've called that because that's his name, who's one of those guys who gets strategy games of all kinds and is very good at them. It turns out they've both brought very similar Vampire Counts lists - roughly the same characters, same units, same magic items etc. except weirdly Cheater seem to have about 1/3rd more stuff on the table. Whatever, they play the game, I don't remember what the result was.

Ben goes home that night and thinks "wow, have I done my maths wrong, or is there a way of making it more points efficient, or what?" so he writes up the same list as Cheater was using. He cannot make it work - whatever he does, to have the stuff he knows was used, it's minimum 300pts too high.

Next week Cheater is confronted with this. He mumbles something about adding something up wrong, then loving disappears for months. Just flat out stops coming to stuff, then one week he reappears as if nothing happened, and within weeks he's up to his old tricks again. Never known anyone be so shameless.

Guy was weird in a lot of respects thinking about it. A real "uncle at Nintendo" type - he used to come to our parties and barely drink and disappear early, but there were always stories about these wild nights out he'd have with work, conveniently in other cities. Never known to have a girlfriend, but apparently when he was in America he always did well. Made himself out to be a lawyer but was actually an off-brand version. A game store opened up and he promised them that "our" tournament company was going to run events there, when what he meant was "Corrode's" and "have never discussed the possibility in any way." Getting caught out because he accidentally brought a funhouse mirror match was pretty special though. I don't think that was even the first time he got caught out cheating and disappeared.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I've never gotten people that don't own their cheating. Who cares? It's funny to get caught cheating, and it's a victimless crime.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SteelMentor posted:

:same:

Bodes well for Sisters updates.

Lol dream on.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

panascope posted:

I've never gotten people that don't own their cheating. Who cares? It's funny to get caught cheating, and it's a victimless crime.

We had a scroll for a while where we would write our game winning cheating sins down. Notably I was on there for cheating though an entire GT that I won with a scouting chapter master on a bike (who couldn't actually scout via FAQ).

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Ask to see his list and his rulebook when you have questions. Everyone i've ever played with has no problems with showing the rules. If they do have a problem with it, stop playing them.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Zuul the Cat posted:

Ask to see his list and his rulebook when you have questions. Everyone i've ever played with has no problems with showing the rules. If they do have a problem with it, stop playing them.

Yeah I just took everything he said at face value because my only exposure to necrons is Dark Crusade

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
What is worse in a casual beerhammer setting, blatant cheating or WAACing?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

TWSS posted:

Both seem perfectly OK in the context of beerhammer. If you're not trying to outwit & outcheat your friends then you're not trying hard enough.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Blatant cheating for sure. At least a guy trying to win a game is just trying to win a game.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TWSS posted:

Cheating. You can have WAAC in a casual setting so long as the two folks are on the same page about it. For example my Ork list was decidedly WAAC the first few times it murdered The Sex Cannon, but we kept it casual and used it as a learning experience. It obviously sucks if both people aren't cool with it, but I can't imagine any scenario where blatantly cheating was acceptable. At least with WAAC the goal is to play fair and win, cheating is explicitly about loving over the other person to win a game of Space Barbies.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Blatant cheating is pretty funny though. Go with the flow.

EDIT: Based on the responses above I think I have a vastly different drunken relationship with my friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
But yeah, it was for a Konor league game and he was talking about how imperium had won weeks 1 and 2 and how he wanted chaos to win week 3.