Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Ok I watched the whole thing now.

I'm generally not one to praise schlock, but at least that last Dany/Jon scene FINALLY had some chemistry going on with them. Out of nowhere sure. But the fact that they didn't boatsex now at least serves as some sort of setup for when they boatsex later.

I hope that Viserion kinda becomes more White Walkery on his next appearance. I get that they wanted to do the "spooky eye" reveal thing (even though it was pretty obvious that he was gonna get turned when you saw the zombies pulling him out) but when NK turned the baby into a WW his skin also became ice.

I just want my Blue Eyed Wight Dragon to look more frosty flavor and less contact lense swap

TeaJay posted:

That spear-throwing looks really dumb. They should've just made it all magic (as in, he forms the spear with his mental powers and sends it in the air) if they can't get an actor who looks like he can actually throw a spear/javelin. Although I guess the explosion was magic, unless he hit the dragon in his fire storage or something.

Yeah this is what I envisioned when I read the spoilers. Not that multipurpose ice-cream hornofjoramunredherring sword spear thing.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Our plan to steal a ghoul from a giant swarm of undead and then outpace them in a blizzard went as one might expect STOP
send dragons plx STOP
urgent, skellingtons clawing our eyes badly STOP

Doing what they have decided to do seems like the worst choice possible. Why trust Cersei by risking lives to capture a WW and bring it to King's Landing when you really only need to convince one person, Jamie. Just have Tyrion convince Jamie to go along on a sightseeing tour North. You don't even have to get close enough to be in any real danger, just peek over the hill and say, "hey Jamie, take a look at this poo poo". Job done. The only reason I can see for doing it this way is because they had to find a way to get a dragon killed and in the hands of the Night King.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

i hope varys is secretly feeding the NK info

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Gendry the marathon runner

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So Jon and his merry band of misfits basically spent like two weeks on a dinky island in the midst of a blizzard with no provisions at all not a source of heat.

Yeah sure.

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

Anyone get a gif of the best part of the episode, The Hound taking out that wight's jaw with a rock? :D

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
lol at that throw. I can hear him in my head doing a real wimpy grunt along with it. "eeeehhH!"

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

What's this ... ? A good Tyrion and Kelly C scene?

Don't get me wrong there's been some dumb poo poo in this first 20 mins, and some good poo poo even if some of the conversations I think would have made more sense during the trip TO Eastwatch ...

Like, I'm glad they have Jorah and Jon acknowledge Longclaw, but unless Dany gave them a brisk flight up to the wall, you'd think they might have had this conversation on the boat. It's a long ride.

But yeah this Tyrion and Dany scene is a pleasant surprise. It isn't amazing, but it's well enough acted and I enjoy seeing the characters play off one another with dialogue that has some personality injected into its exposition/catch up. Emilia Clarke even emotes a little!

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
If you cater to Emilia Clarke's and Kit Harrington's one strength as an actor (for her, angsty teenage girl with slight sexual tension, for him dumb, honorable but still very emotional warrior) it can work.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

If the dragon can get to the wall in a couple of hours, and they're ok acting as a passenger airline as long as Dany stamps the ticket, why not just fly those fuckers up there in the first place, see the giant army of the dead from a mile up, and then fly back?

I thought the 4th and 5th books took a pretty steep step down in quality from 1-3, but holy poo poo, these tv writers make GRRM look like Tolkein and Shakespeare had a baby.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GaussianCopula posted:

If you cater to Emilia Clarke's and Kit Harrington's one strength as an actor (for her, angsty teenage girl with slight sexual tension, for him dumb, honorable but still very emotional warrior) it can work.

It's just stupid they took like 4 episodes to finally do it. If they gave the Jon and Kelly C any scenes where they aren't speaking exposition at one another to move the story forward at mach 5, I would probably actually enjoy them instead of tolerate them.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Frustrated posted:

If the dragon can get to the wall in a couple of hours, and they're ok acting as a passenger airline as long as Dany stamps the ticket, why not just fly those fuckers up there in the first place

I assume she did, b/c I think it's super weird Jon and Jorah didn't talk about Longclaw during the weeks long boat ride to Eastwatch.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Thoros has his flaming sword. All is forgiven.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I like how the others have big rear end chains, I want to see their foundry.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Maybe that's where Tyrion's chain went, because it wasn't at the Blackwater in season 2 ...

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Just get on the dragon Jon.
Just get on the horse Benjen.
Just stab Littlefinger in the face Arya & Sansa.

The show continues to be dumb as hell, but it does do a mean action scene. Not to mention great buddy cop pairings, all it took was one scene with Tormund and The Hound and I'd happily watch a spinoff series of them going on adventures.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

bloom posted:

Just get on the dragon Jon.
Just get on the horse Benjen.
Just stab Littlefinger in the face Arya & Sansa.

The show continues to be dumb as hell, but it does do a mean action scene. Not to mention great buddy cop pairings, all it took was one scene with Tormund and The Hound and I'd happily watch a spinoff series of them going on adventures.

Realistically Tormund dies when the Night King assaults Eastwatch - but I guess on the show he will be the lone survivor to tell the ~the party raid~ at Winterfell what happened.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
drat I knew the spoilers and I still went oh gently caress no when Tormund was about to bite it.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Did the episode leak before the episode title?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
arya's dumb as poo poo

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

jesus christ the teleporting bullshit is just dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb. loving dumb, jesus christ. I can't even enjoy the good bits of the show because it's just so poo poo.

This show now is literally like watching a list of bullet points that GRRM gave them. I would much rather be experiencing this in book format. Yes I know that will never happen.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
daenerys is dumb as poo poo too

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

How can you barbarians watch anything in such low quality.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

drunken officeparty posted:

1080p torrents are allegedly out.

Can't verify as I'm at work but I already watched a 720p version with poo poo sound this morning.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

drunken officeparty posted:

Everything about this show is bad why should the visuals be any better?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the leak is good quality. way better than the ep 4 one

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

emanresu tnuocca posted:

1080p torrents are allegedly out.

Can't verify as I'm at work but I already watched a 720p version with poo poo sound this morning.

I don't know about 1080p, but there's a 720p version with good sound out.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just had the whole episode come up on a facebook page someone else liked with 46k comments lmao. The dam has broken release it in original quality HBO.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
DON'T TAKE *ALL* THE DRAGONS WITH YOU YOU loving IDIOT

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat this fight is sick

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Escobarbarian posted:

I assume dragons are kinda like dogs, and have you ever tried going out with just 1 dog if you have 3 at home?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Exact opposite thought I had last week.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The second great episode of this season but that still has everyone being a fuckin-rear end idiot. Has a little less weight when nobody important dies too, to the point where deus ex Benjen shows up instead

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Ben showing up was great. "Hey Johnny, here's my horse. Nah I can't get on it, there's no budget time."

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I still want to watch it monday morning and read all the reactions from last night (euro time here). It's kinda like my monday routine.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Ep 6 was great, but anyone still annoyed by teleportation issues will have to make peace with that, or you will not survive this one.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

bloom posted:

Ben showing up was great. "Hey Johnny, here's my horse. Nah I can't get on it, there's no budget time."

Yeah what the gently caress man i just watched it and that bothered me a lot too. Also the geyser of blood pissing out of Viserion from that ice spear. Do the white walkers have some magical spear that explodes in fire(?) on impact, or did it hit the dragons badly exposed fuel tank. Or do dragons just pop like loving balloons because they are 'flesh made fire' when they get pricked and why the gently caress didn't that happen to drogon when that arguably much larger spear hit him in the chest. Good episode though.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
I knew it was coming but that Dragon going down was a kick in the guts

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Dragon was breathing fire, its neck was pierced, fire blew out from the new neck hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Eastdrom posted:

Yeah what the gently caress man i just watched it and that bothered me a lot too. Also the geyser of blood pissing out of Viserion from that ice spear. Do the white walkers have some magical spear that explodes in fire(?) on impact, or did it hit the dragons badly exposed fuel tank. Or do dragons just pop like loving balloons because they are 'flesh made fire' when they get pricked and why the gently caress didn't that happen to drogon when that arguably much larger spear hit him in the chest. Good episode though.

The ice spear was magic. The end.

• Locked thread