Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What was all that poo poo about "Beric spends his last life to rez Jon"?

That wasn't until a more 'detailed' version of the spoilers came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

a good change, don't turn jon resurrection into a rake gag.

or do, and embrace the schlock.

whatever, namaste

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

DON'T TAKE *ALL* THE DRAGONS WITH YOU YOU loving IDIOT

I mean, she didn't know what she was gonna find. If Jon's claim that there were a bajillion undead were true (which they were), she would probably need all the dragon power she has to provide enough cover while rescuing the heroes.

It would have been really hilarious though if the NK had all the wights hide and a very pissed off Kelly C arrives demanding to know where the hell are these supposed undead.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xK_eVkEMWM

Dammit it's the same soundtrack again, but this remix sounds really epic.

I think that them showing the raven arrive to Dragonstone and Kelly C taking off really took a bit out of the impact from this scene. They wanted to sell the hopelessness of Jon's group last stand but the audience already knew that Fantasy Nukes were on their way for sure. It would have been more epic if the audience were "left to believe" that the raven didn't make it in time during teleporting season.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 16, 2017

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

I mean, she didn't know what she was gonna find. If Jon's claim that there were a bajillion undead were true (which they were), she would probably need all the dragon power she has to provide enough cover while rescuing the heroes.

It would have been really hilarious though if the NK had all the wights hide and a very pissed off Kelly C arrives demanding to know where the hell are these supposed undead.

Nobody would have thought the dragons would be marginalized so hard by an olympic tier javelin tosser

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xK_eVkEMWM

Dammit it's the same soundtrack again, but this remix sounds really epic.

I think that them showing the raven arrive to Dragonstone and Kelly C taking off really took a bit out of the impact from this scene. It would have been more epic if the audience were "left to believe" that the raven didn't make it in time during teleporting season.

I didnt notice the huge blood spray coming out his neck the first time :stonk:

He got hosed up

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Yeah the spear was pretty lame but Viserion's death itself was loving great.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
They made the right call this time. The dragon dieing really teared me up a bit even though a) I knew it was coming and b) it's fantasy CGI. Had they killed another minor good character like Tormund or the Hound, the dragon dieing shortly after would have overshadowed it, and that is no fitting way to off the Hound or Tormund Giantsbane :colbert:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Maybe their blood is itself an accelerant for the flames and the initial blood gush caused an explosion of sorts.

Was the Night's King preparing for a dragon to come? Seems that was a special spear.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

doesnt he die in the books like back in season 3 or something.

He gives his life to rez Catelyn Stark who becomes Lady Stoneheart, who then goes to kill everyone and becomes the Night Queen

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Fried Watermelon posted:

He gives his life to rez Catelyn Stark who becomes Lady Stoneheart, who then

Fixed.

I wish they'd gone with Wight Giants killing the dragon with their giant bows. Have we seen any undead archers yet? Are they dexterous enough for that?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

jokes posted:

Was the Night's King preparing for a dragon to come? Seems that was a special spear.

The Night King had a whole night to play darts with Jon and co. on that island. He was just using them as bait. He had 4 sets of really big chains ready, in the land where they haven't discovered steel yet!

It's def going down the "it was all predestined to happen" road.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

jokes posted:

Maybe their blood is itself an accelerant for the flames and the initial blood gush caused an explosion of sorts.

He was totally waiting for them to come, he sat and watched the magnificent 7 all night and didnt do a thing

He only moved into action when the dragons came

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Watching the episode before work, and I would watch an entire series of this north of the wall brochat. As far as contrived payoff goes, it's pretty drat good.

:lol: at Sandor saying he hates gingers :laugh:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
If they tease the Brienne + Tormund pairing only to end up doing Brienne + Jaime I would be so super pissed.

I can finally understand the Bleach and Naruto fans when they were pissed about their opposite ship winning.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

People sperging about the dragon death. It is literally breathing fire out it's mouth as a projectile. So, if one were to open a hole in the dragon's neck the fire would presumably exit through the new airway. Also, it's loving MAGIC.

The teleporting and non-death of characters you're attached to is so loving lame though. I miss the suspense of not knowing who is going to survive and then people actually dying.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

the way the ice javelin flies like 3,000 feet wobbling weirdly after being thrown looks goofy, they should have added a bunch of CGI sparkles and made it more obviously magical.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Hey here's a dumb question

If they're doing The Dragon Has Three Heads who is the third? The NK since he's got a dragon now? Will Wight Dragon shoot fire or ice?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Holy poo poo he really does walk past all the main characters and the hero dragon sitting on the ground to make a 1000 ft shot at a distant target.

The show is just burning through all the good will from seasons 1-4. Good thing it'll be over soon.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

If they tease the Brienne + Tormund pairing only to end up doing Brienne + Jaime I would be so super pissed.

I can finally understand the Bleach and Naruto fans when they were pissed about their opposite ship winning.

I think Brienne will only give Tormund the time of day when they get to fight together.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Soul Glo posted:

Hey here's a dumb question

If they're doing The Dragon Has Three Heads who is the third? The NK since he's got a dragon now? Will Wight Dragon shoot fire or ice?

blizzara

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Soul Glo posted:

Will Wight Dragon shoot fire or ice?

Based on spoilers he shoots blue flame, which is hot and melts the Wall at the end of Ep 7.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

The CGI will kindly remind you that it's 2017.

Bufudyne.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

JaySB posted:

People sperging about the dragon death. It is literally breathing fire out it's mouth as a projectile. So, if one were to open a hole in the dragon's neck the fire would presumably exit through the new airway. Also, it's loving MAGIC.

The teleporting and non-death of characters you're attached to is so loving lame though. I miss the suspense of not knowing who is going to survive and then people actually dying.

Here's a countersperg to the teleporting spergs:

1) Large birds (eagles, albatrosses) can fly 80-100mph horizontally because of their big wings. Let's assume a fuckoff-big dragon can fly just as fast.
2) It's about a month to ride from Winterfell to King's Landing in a caravan. It would probably average something like 2-3mph over the course of the day accounting for sleep and breaks
3) Dragonstone --> Eastwatch is roughly equal to King's Landing --> Winterfell
4) Based on (1), (2) and (3) a dragon is 30-40 times faster than a caravan and could reach Eastwatch from Dragonstone within a day flying at full speed

Same applies to the ravens going south, so we have a 2 day lag from Gendry reaching Eastwatch to Dany arriving.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Bran is going to warg into the Dragon before he is killed and just like be around and stuff.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I wonder what D&D's reaction is everytime HBO gets hacked or leaks.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in that room.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Constant posted:

Hollywood assholes never trust an audience to be competent. Dave Hill is in the room for gently caress's sake. This isn't news.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Seph posted:

Same applies to the ravens going south, so we have a 2 day lag from Gendry reaching Eastwatch to Dany arriving.

Even if it's only 2 days. They just sit there on a rock in a blizzard for 48 hours with no food or water? Got it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Is there a scene where Dany receives the raven and decides to go north?

If not, is it remotely possible in any way that she decided to go north on her own because she was finally won over to the cause/Jon?

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

JaySB posted:

Even if it's only 2 days. They just sit there on a rock in a blizzard for 48 hours with no food or water? Got it.

You can live two days without food, and there was plenty of water around (snow and/or the lake). People have lived for much longer in real life given warm clothing.

Next.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is there a scene where Dany receives the raven and decides to go north?

If not, is it remotely possible in any way that she decided to go north on her own because she was finally won over to the cause/Jon?

Yes there's a scene where she got the news and that's why she went.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

qbert posted:

Yes there's a scene where she got the news and that's why she went.

lol gay

First time the "teleporting" stuff has really been aggressively on the nose, in my opinion.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
So uh, I thought this was the best ep of the season.

Teleportation/whatnot doesn't bother me. This was the first episode of the season where the non-action scenes carried their weight.

I even liked the Arya/Sansa scenes. I'm assuming Arya is the age Sansa was in like s1ish? It works that being back home, she's regressing into sibling pettiness but she's still scary AF due to the faceless man training.

And the action was really well done, CGI spear notwithstanding.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

lol gay

First time the "teleporting" stuff has really been aggressively on the nose, in my opinion.

They showed two days pass on screen. The exact amount of time it would have taken Dany to get there.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

That episode was great. Can't wait to watch it again.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

the way the ice javelin flies like 3,000 feet wobbling weirdly after being thrown looks goofy, they should have added a bunch of CGI sparkles and made it more obviously magical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFXuV1zHiMA&t=3306s

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Seph posted:

They showed two days pass on screen. The exact amount of time it would have taken Dany to get there.

I should watch the episode before I pass judgment based on goonsay, I guess. The posts here make it sound like Jon's holding a stopwatch when the raven goes out, and then when Dany arrives he goes "TIME! One hour! Daenerys received our letter and made it here in one hour, for the record!"

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
If you want to goon out, do it over the fact that a lake that's in territory that hasn't seen more than 5° C in at least months, probably years, isn't frozen solid for several meters down.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Holy gently caress I have never seen more aggressively bad acting than Emilia Clarke in her boat scene with Jon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Constant posted:

Why would they care?

• Locked thread