Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Spergatory posted:

I think regeneration psyches people out more than it should because the mechanics behind it can be kind of obtuse, so I did some experimenting and came up with a few things that might be useful to know...

I'll try to do a generalized Master Mode tips post later today.

This information was useful, thanks.

However: I don't know if I have to establish my bona fides before weighing in, but I've cleared the Trials of the Sword on Master Mode, and I did it with 10 hearts, 2 stamina wheels, and no food buffs. My issues with Master Mode don't stem from difficulty but from tedium. The challenging parts of Master Mode are a welcome change, and it was very intense running around on the Great Plateau and planning how I was going to attack a camp to get a chest or gather supplies or approach a shrine because suddenly planning really mattered. I also don't mind higher-leveled enemies from a damage standpoint; you can lower my margin of error, that's fine.

The mechanical issues I have with the game can be pretty easily summarized:
  • There is no way to determine a weapon's durability until it is preparing to break
  • Climbing in the rain is so tedious, and has no alternative solution via elixirs or gear, that you are honestly better off leaving and coming back than attempting a climb
  • The UI for weapon swapping is linear instead of radial (which comes up a lot in Master Mode, since I find myself always carrying an armory's worth of weaponry)
  • The camera while Z-Targeting/locking on is sorta bad, which makes it easy to backflip when you meant to sidehop or vice versa, which will kill you
  • Master Mode's biggest step up in challenge stems not from new tactics you must apply or new boss strategies or whatever, but from HP sponges who kill you in two hits

The regenerating health creates tedium more often than it directly increases the difficulty, because the play styles it encourages are themselves tedious. I don't mean careful planning or stealthy infiltrations or judicious selection of targets once you're finally in a melee - I mean it's just boring knowing you can't really swat enemies away unless you're prepared to sprint after them that very second because otherwise they're going to undo the damage you just did. It makes some of the tougher camps I've faced into binary propositions wherein I either do it in a very specific, borderline exploitative manner and expose myself to no danger at the expense of doing anything fun, or I get Slap Chopped by an enemy hitting me in the back while I was slowly carving off the HP of a high-level moblin or something. To illustrate I went back and attempted the Beginning Trials, since after discussing it with some folks, that was established to have been the hardest set, and tried to focus on the specific floor that gives people fits (Floor 10). I managed to have previously lucked into a solution for that room because I happened to have already discovered you can chain sneak attacks together to murder enemies 1-on-1, but when I went back and tried it myriad other ways not doing that, I got either completely annihilated or I was unable to make any progress on their HP bars and eventually ran out of weapons to fight them with. If you don't know one specific, boring way to clear Floor 10 of the Beginning Trials, I honestly have no idea how you'd clear it at all. Food buffs and a generous dose of luck?

Granted, the Trials are optional and don't represent the main game's "true" gameplay, but it's a relevant example that highlights a lot of the problems BotW has. The HP regen is a good idea in that it encourages you to go all-in on encounters you face, and pushes you to be aggressive when dealing with monsters, but the regen begins ticking after too short a grace period on most enemies. Hinox enemies have the sweet spot down, I feel - you have enough time to get up if you got knocked down, or be mindful of your surroundings and move to a better position, without knowing that if you had just attacked your damage was going to mostly go away.

I also feel like the tone of this post comes across as needling and critical and I don't mean it to be a criticism of you specifically or that BotW isn't an amazing game, because it obviously is. My point is that when discussing good games with passionate fanbases, often if you have a criticism the general tone of the discussion is that you don't "get it" or you're not good enough at the game to understand why certain gameplay elements are frustrating and bad. Sometimes they're just frustrating and bad; HP regen doesn't annoy me because I can't win at the game, because I think I've demonstrated that I can and have. It annoys me because it just feels frustrating and bad.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I wish the two optional areas I've been combing through (Hebra and Gerudo Highlands) didn't have so many combat trials for shrines. :smith:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Chieves posted:

I wish the two optional areas I've been combing through (Hebra and Gerudo Highlands) didn't have so many combat trials for shrines. :smith:

Agree. All my last remaining shrines that took me a while to find were all combat ones and it was disappointing.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

SeANMcBAY posted:

Agree. All my last remaining shrines that took me a while to find were all combat ones and it was disappointing.

I said it before and I'll say it every time: More Cannon shrines and Blue Flames less modest/major tests of strength.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If there had to be more combat ones, I wish some could have been more different other than fighting 1 of 3 similar enemies.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I appreciate HP regen and larger health pools for enemies because it increases the rate of weapon turnover, which was practically nonexistent past a certain point on normal mode. On Master Mode, I have actually found myself with multiple empty weapon slots at once just from playing the game normally, where in normal mode, I was literally throwing intact weapons at enemies just to get rid of them. The increased health is the only way to make the regen meaningful, as otherwise you would still just be oneshotting a large number of enemies. The fact that you can stumble upon camps composed entirely of gold and silver enemies actually feels like a challenge to me, because I know I'll need to be careful about how I approach the situation or I'll get stuck in a battle I can't reasonably win. The fact that some of these enemies can one-or-two shot me from full health means I need to be even more careful and prioritize who I take out first. It decreases the margin of error; though it should be said, I'm purposefully playing without fairies, Mipha, or in-battle healing to make things more challenging and fun for myself. I don't feel like I deserve to take out an enemy camp until I can do it on one health bar.

These tips aren't for surviving Master Mode; that's pretty easy as it is. These are more along the lines of effective strategies that I found purely because Master Mode pushed me to. They are almost entirely murder-oriented (:black101:), and have made the mode fun and rewarding for me. So here's some things I've learned.

TIPS FOR MASTER MODE posted:

- Enemy lookouts (archers that can alert other enemies) take massively increased damage from headshots. On normal enemies, they do 2x damage. On lookouts, they do 10x.
- Most of the enemies on floating platforms are lookouts, so you can kill them either with headshots or by popping a couple of their balloons and letting them fall into the water and drown.
- Most of the floating platform lookouts have a chance to drop special arrows, so kill them whenever you can.
- In general, bows will almost always give you more bang-for-buck than melee weapons in terms of raw damage they can do before breaking. Starting a fight by picking the strongest enemy and peppering them with six or seven slow-motion headshots will save you a lot of time.
- You can headshot enemies from behind, even if they are hunched over and it seems like you shouldn't be able to hit their head. Just line your shot up with their head as if you were shooting through them, and you basically will.
- Invest in stamina completely. Don't even think about your health until you have three stamina wheels. Stamina effects your ability to do damage (spin2win and 'arrow time'), and if you do things right, you shouldn't be getting hit at all.
- Falcon Bows are super useful because of their fast draw time. After you knock an enemy away with a combo, you can quickfire an arrow to stop their regeneration, freeze them, or shock the weapon out of their hand. There's a Falcon Bow in Hyrule Castle in the room with two Lizalfos and the Moblin.
- After you knock an enemy away, quickly use stasis to freeze them and follow up with a dash attack and as many more hits as you can manage to pile on more damage.
- Don't be afraid to play defensive and wait for a flurry rush. It's okay if they regenerate just a little bit, as long as you get the opportunity to deal way more damage in a huge burst.
- Memorize Hinox locations and farm them for weapons when needed. They have decent stuff even in the early game, and remember, you don't need to kill them to take it. You can steal it while they're sleeping or stun them and take it while they're sitting down.

TIPS FOR GOLD ENEMIES posted:

- Multishot bows + headshots + ice arrows will make quick work of drat near any enemy, even a gold one. Headshots do double damage, ice arrows freeze them, frozen enemies take triple damage, and each shot from your bow should freeze and unfreeze them multiple times, meaning every shot is doing either 2 or 3 times its normal damage. If you have a 5x bow, this should be what you use it for. Add in enough height, some slow-mo, and close range, and you should be able to kill even a Gold Moblin before you hit the ground.
- If it's raining, shock arrows are also great, since each arrow will do an additional 40 damage not just to the gold enemy, but to anyone near it (besides you).
- Gold enemies are resistant to being frozen or stunned by electricity, but they aren't immune, so you can still briefly freeze them and shock the weapons out of their hands.
- You should shock the weapons out of their hands, because they add 39 base damage to whatever the weapon's power is. Stealing or breaking it drastically decreases their killing power.
- Gold enemies being ice-resistant just means it's easier to isolate them by freezing all their buddies. There's easy blizzard rods on Crenel Hill east of Hyrule Castle and in the Castle Lockup. Make good use of them.
- Spin2win will stunlock bokoblins and lizalfos, preventing them from either counterattacking or retreating.
- Gold Bokoblin archers are actually absurdly easy to kill at close range. Freeze or kill their buddies if they have any, knock them off their horses, then just walk up to them and repeatedly smack them with the first hit of any weapon combo. Do not finish the combo or knock them away; just do the first hit over and over again. They won't be able to attack, retreat, or regenerate. They will just stand there and take repeated smacks to the face until they die.
- You can actually make a Gold Bokoblin basically helpless by taking his weapon and dropping a bow near him so he picks it up. Just don't get too far away; that 39 base damage makes even the weakest bows hurt.

And a couple of dumb-but-fun tricks I've found to kill groups of enemies...

THE SHOCKWAVE TRICK posted:

What you need:
- Shock arrows.
- A multi-shot bow.
- Any metal physics object (crate, chest, boulder, etc) OR a puddle of water OR a rainstorm. Basically anything that makes electric attacks create shockwaves.
- Monster/Majora's Masks are helpful but not required.

What to do:
- Lure your enemies as close as possible to the metal thing/water. This is where the monster mask comes in handy, though it's definitely possible to just aggro them and run to it.
- Once they're all close enough, take out your bow and pump shock arrows into the electrical conductor. It'll create shockwaves that each do 40 damage and stun every enemy in its radius.
- For a 3-shot bow, that's 120 damage per arrow. For a 5 shot, it's 200. The bow's power doesn't matter, only the number of arrows it fires.
- Do this until everyone is dead.

You can decimate entire camps of silver and gold enemies this way only using a few shock arrows and some bow durability. The only caveat is that it requires an electrical conductor, which isn't always readily available.

THE FRIENDLY ENEMY TRICK posted:

What you need:
- A Blizzard Rod.
- The full Rito armor set, upgraded at least twice to give you the 'Unfreezable' set bonus.
- A thunder weapon OR shock arrows.

What to do:
- Find the weakest enemy in a given enemy camp.
- Shock the weapon out of its hand.
- Drop the blizzard rod and pick up the weapon.
- The weak enemy should pick up the Blizzard Rod and begin swinging it around, sending out blasts that freeze everyone on the battlefield... except you, because you're Unfreezable.
- This leaves you free to use the weapon you stole to smack all the frozen enemies for triple damage.
- Once you've killed everyone else, kill your blizzard buddy and take the rod back.

Weapons do not deteriorate when enemies use them, so if you did it right, you just took out an entire camp spending almost no resources of your own. Bokoblins are best for this. Lizalfos are jumpy and annoying, and Moblins have too few attacks that actually trigger the freeze blasts. Also technically works with Meteor and Thunderstorm Rods, assuming you have the respective immunity armor, but it doesn't work nearly as well because those other rods are easier to miss with. If you have multiple rods of the same kind, you can set up multiple friendly enemies and make them all fight each other. Just don't mix and match elements.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If I leave the castle halfway through will the game remember what enemies I killed? Because I wish I had more food but gently caress fighting those muscle bound lion centaurs again

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

If I leave the castle halfway through will the game remember what enemies I killed? Because I wish I had more food but gently caress fighting those muscle bound lion centaurs again
If a blood moon happens they'll be restored like anything else, but also there's a bunch of routes through the castle and the lynel cage matches are optional.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Guy Goodbody posted:

That which is dead will remain dead until the next Blood Moon.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Guy Goodbody posted:

You can get out of the manhorse battles without fighting them.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Those Lynel encounters at the castle are weird. It feels like there should be more of a reason to go into those spires.

I'm surprised there isn't one in the castle itself.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I wandered in there like an idiot but there's nothing other than curiosity like compelling you to go into the gatehouses

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
nevermind, the last fight wasn't too hard

Did I miss an explanation as to why the princess didn't age?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

I wandered in there like an idiot but there's nothing other than curiosity like compelling you to go into the gatehouses

If you save after the Lynel drops in and reload, the Lynels in Hyrule Castle will drop spoils (they usually don't drop anything). If you waited too long to snap Lynel gear pictures, it's a chance to get the Mighty Lynel Sword, Shield, and Bow even after the Blue Lynels have disappeared everywhere else (or a chance to get a Savage Lynel Crusher early)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

nevermind, the last fight wasn't too hard

Did I miss an explanation as to why the princess didn't age?

Magic.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

maltesh posted:

If you save after the Lynel drops in and reload, the Lynels in Hyrule Castle will drop spoils (they usually don't drop anything). If you waited too long to snap Lynel gear pictures, it's a chance to get the Mighty Lynel Sword, Shield, and Bow even after the Blue Lynels have disappeared everywhere else (or a chance to get a Savage Lynel Crusher early)

I actually never saw a Blue Lynel until the castle. Somehow, I went from the red ones (ignoring the famous one that's always red near the Zora domain) to the top two tiers without stopping.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

SeANMcBAY posted:

If there had to be more combat ones, I wish some could have been more different other than fighting 1 of 3 similar enemies.

I get the feeling Nintendo padded that poo poo out because they hadn't designed enough puzzles but needed more shrines for the hearts/stamina upgrades. It's disappointing.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Anyone else unwilling to use certain weapons or armor sets because they're ugly as sin? I know the Savage Lynel Bows are powerful and amazing and I have six in my inventory and should really start cycling through them, but they're ugly and they clip really bad when Link runs. And the Ancient Helmet looks stupid. :argh:

I'd pay money for DLC that added the 'Cosmetic Gear' option from Xenoblade Chronicles X. Basically, it let you actually wear one set of items to get the stats and bonuses while looking like you were wearing another. I just want to save Hyrule looking cool. :c00lbert:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Spergatory posted:

Anyone else unwilling to use certain weapons or armor sets because they're ugly as sin? I know the Savage Lynel Bows are powerful and amazing and I have six in my inventory and should really start cycling through them, but they're ugly and they clip really bad when Link runs. And the Ancient Helmet looks stupid. :argh:

I'd pay money for DLC that added the 'Cosmetic Gear' option from Xenoblade Chronicles X. Basically, it let you actually wear one set of items to get the stats and bonuses while looking like you were wearing another. I just want to save Hyrule looking cool. :c00lbert:

That's part of why I didn't wear the Barbarian Armor set as much as was practical in my first playthrough. It looks... fine I guess, but I liked a lot of other sets more. I mostly would just suck it up and equip armor instead of cooking or brewing potions if I needed resistances and was going to be in an area a very long time, though. (I also almost never used the Champion Tunic because it's a solo armor piece and not part of a set)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

snoremac posted:

I get the feeling Nintendo padded that poo poo out because they hadn't designed enough puzzles but needed more shrines for the hearts/stamina upgrades. It's disappointing.

Yeah the shrines and lack of any dungeons in general are probably the most disappointing aspects of the game

I feel like they could build a much better game with the assets and framework of BotW- maybe they'll turn one out at an accelerated pace. This game was a huge leap forward compared to previous Zelda titles so I don't think anyone would much mind if we got a Majora's Mask-type thing. Adding some more enemy variety, tweaking how the combat works, and having Actual Dungeons would make the game as close to perfect as you can get for me.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Spergatory posted:

i didn't tame a horse until i found one similar to the flashback horse/amiibo horse, and until it got horrifyingly boring i used nothing but the Traveler's Shield/Traveler's Bow/Soldier's Broadsword equipment combo while wearing Champion's Tunic and Hylian Trousers, occasionally mixing in the Hood

after getting the Master Sword i've been using elixirs and food to deal with climate effects and such, and trying to get through the game using nothing but the Master Sword (no bow, no shield) wearing the Hylian Trousers and Champion's Tunic only

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint, the lack of actual dungeons is the best thing about the game, and the exploring is a little overwhelming and occasionally tedious. Give me little bite-sized dungeon nuggets all day. They could make BotW 2 just a menu with 120 more shrines and I would be thrilled.

Breath of the Wild: VR Missions

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I would be a little more thrilled with that idea if so many of the shrines weren't just an empty room with a chest where they go "good job you got in" (The "Blessing" shrines), combat trials where you fight 3 HP/damage scaled variants of the same enemy over and over again, or simplistic puzzles you can figure out in like 30 seconds

Some of the shrine puzzles/sequences of puzzles are great and feel a lot more like the mini-dungeons they're supposed to be but more often than not they're one of the above. I would want actual dungeons in a subsequent game or more fleshed-out, fully-realized mini-dungeon shrines where you spend 5-10 minutes in there instead of 30 seconds

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

The shrines are one of the worst-realized parts of the game - of the 120 of them, like 15 are very memorable and maybe 30 are what you'd call good. Very many of them are either combat trials, which are objectively lazy, shrines where the puzzle was just getting to the shrine, or "easy" shrines meant to give you early access to upgrades - like any of the ones near stables or on the Great Plateau or whatever. The exploration element is the only reason I can think of as to why you'd play the game, and it's so good that I have trouble appreciating other, also-good games with heavy emphasis on exploring (Horizon) by virtue of comparison.

I absolutely believe there's a middle ground where you can have open world elements and "you have all your dungeoning abilities right from the start" from BotW and traditional, larger dungeons. Even the Divine Beasts are essentially exercises in figuring out the gimmick, solving the gimmick, and beating a boss, and even if you have to take your time you can beat most of them in around 10, 15 minutes blind. Stapling ten of the very best shrine designs together, putting on a new skin, filling it with enemies and mythology elements, and removing your ability to save your game while inside it - bam, instant Actual Dungeon.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

They need to do a 40+ room trial with nothing but shrines. Or mix shrines with combat rooms. Just make a big dungeon comprised of shrines for gods sake.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spergatory posted:

I like how all the sets look but I'm pretty anal about matching them to suit the climate and area at hand. I like matching the weapon sets too.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I think the Blessing shrines are fine, they're a way to give you a shrine reward when they want the actual challenge to be outside the shrine itself. The only problem is they're really inconsistent with it, sometimes you just find a shrine and it's a blessing, and sometimes you do some big challenge or solve a really cryptic riddle or puzzle and they still want you to do a 10 minute puzzle after that.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm finally posting in this thread after 140ish hours of playing my first time. I've gotten all the Divine Beasts but still haven't gone after CG because I want to get all the shrines (38 left to go!).

I have the 7 Scimitar, but I'm afraid of it breaking. I know that I can have Daruk's weapon rebuilt if it breaks (I found out unfortunately) but is there any way to get the scimitar or trident back if they break?

Also it makes me sad whenever I get to an edge of the map and it tells me that I cannot go any further. I was seriously bummed when I found that you cannot climb those spire-like mountains in the NNE corner of the world next to that big maze.

Edit: gently caress Lion centaur dudes. I've only taken out 2 of them, and the one in the colosseum I did with bombs over a long period of time from on high.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 16, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I'm a fan of the "congratulations you've overcome the trial of a half-dead gerudo draping herself across the control panel" and other similar premises, myself :v:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I have the 7 Scimitar, but I'm afraid of it breaking. I know that I can have Daruk's weapon rebuilt if it breaks (I found out unfortunately) but is there any way to get the scimitar or trident back if they break?

You can remake any weapon in the respective region, I'm 98% sure.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Chieves posted:

You can. However, my champion weapons went straight on my house's wall for display until I went to Hyrule Castle (at which point they were all irrelevantly weak but IT FELT RIGHT OKAY?)

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Chieves posted:

Yes, there is an NPC that will remake all of the champion's weapons for you using a weapon that is available somewhere in their cities and some misc poo poo.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Great news about that. Thank you!

I'm officially mad that you cannot dress Epona in the monster saddle and bridle. :mad:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Spergatory posted:

My standard adventuring uniform is a Hylian Hood and Tunic (dyed green) and Hylian Leggings (undyed) with Royal Broadsword an Bow for that reason.

I pretty much save Lynel bows for Lynels and Taluses, anyway.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Great news about that. Thank you!

I'm officially mad that you cannot dress Epona in the monster saddle and bridle. :mad:

I'm mad you can't braid her mane! What's up with that?!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

guts and bolts posted:

[*]Climbing in the rain is so tedious, and has no alternative solution via elixirs or gear, that you are honestly better off leaving and coming back than attempting a climb[*]

I agree that the climbing set should allow you to climb in rain once upgraded - its weird that it doesnt, but there is a semi-solution, the power you get from the bird beast can get you up most slopes in a rainstorm

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You can still climb in the rain fairly well with enough stamina and the climbing gear.

Not being able to zoom up stuff in the rain is a major design decision if the game, like it or not. I've been frustrated by it before but I really don't understand all the hate for it.

I agree there should perhaps be some post-game upgrade or DLC bonus like the teleport rune, though. Frankly snow and sand annoyed me more than rain!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Also, a tip for climbing: stamina restore potions are useless compared to ones that give you extra wheels, because anything that gives you an extra wheel, no matter how small, is ALSO a full stamina restore. (Unless they patched that)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Frankly snow and sand annoyed me more than rain!

imo snow and sand are great because you can shield surf everywhere without loving up your shield as much. especially in the desert when you can use the seals, then your shield isn't damaged at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Earwicker posted:

imo snow and sand are great because you can shield surf everywhere without loving up your shield as much. especially in the desert when you can use the seals, then your shield isn't damaged at all

True. I was talking about in the air, not on the ground!