Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

drrockso20 posted:

That's retarded

Actually it is cool, good, and also not worth dropping slurs over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
To clarify, there is magic that does stuff like "build a road." But it builds roads much, much faster than an entire work crew can build them. There also aren't rules for playing a Civil Engineering Mage because why would there be.

Likewise, combat magic is always more interesting than magic missile.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
...And I just had something clarified for me in that I'd been thinking about magic in Reign terms for a game but hadn't actually looked at Reign.

(Namely "Many small mostly mutually exclusive schools." Attunement-based sorcery would handle that pretty well.)

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

There used to be something known as "JParanoia" that allowed people to play Paranoia the RPG over the internet. No rulebooks or adventure modules were in JParanoia, just a bunch of mostly java based programs like a Paranoia game server/client package, character generator, quick roll calculators, monitoring tools to track registered JParanoia games, and a truly hilarious character tic generator.

JParanoia has vanished from the internet so completely it feels like Ultra Violet clearance hijinks happened. Or more likely, the vanishing is tied to Mongoose's 2016 Paranoia RPG release.
Anyway I was able to finally track down JParanoia version 1.31.1 has been found.
All the of the java based programs in it work with the latest version of Java. The adobe flash based tools though, might require work-arounds.
PM me if you're interested.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember being involved in that argument. In Trollman's mind, if there is a magically-created castle, there needs to be a Butthead's Beatific Battlements spell that you can look up, and backsolve the caster's level from the square footage of stone created, and so on. To just make poo poo up is a tyranny perpetrated upon your poor PCs.

See, there's a sense in which he's right, but, it's simply false that PHB 1 (or whatever) is actually a comprehensive list of all special powers available to humans. If that were true, no game supplements would ever be released containing new spells and classes and whatnot. While the default spell list found on d20srd.org is in fact a pretty useful guide to how powerful magic is and how much of it is needed to achieve certain broad classes of feat (you can't instakill someone regardless of their HP with a level 2 spell, for instance), it's by no means a closed system. Furthermore, there's no reason that magic can't exist which is stronger along certain axes but weaker along others that make it useless to adventurers but not to NPCs - for instance, a spell that can raise a tower overnight which is of much lower level than you'd expect but which requires an hours-long ritual plus pile of human sacrifices plus the favor of a demon lord.

We know Trollman doesn't go into conniptions every time new spells are published in a supplement and we know that he doesn't melt down when he opens the monster manual and sees a dragon turtle's Capsize (Ex) ability, even though both of these represent intrusions into the game world of seemingly-arbitrary and heretofore inaccessible powers that don't appear in the player character spell list. He's not, like, a subhuman idiot who literally doesn't understand that it's the GM's job to make things up for the PCs to then interact with. He's just being dishonest - applying separate standards to the thing he hates and the thing he likes, because what he actually objects to about 4E makes him sound like a petty rear end in a top hat when it's given voice.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

SirFozzie posted:

So Not-Japan, Not-India, Not-Polynesia.. and...

Man, if they have to go with "Oriental" settings, they could at least go with something less cliche. How about a not-Indonesia, a not-Myanmar, or a not-central-Asia?

A vast nation of islands incorporating dozens of disparate religions and cultures into one of the most diverse and populous nations on the planet, united primarily by their common history of exploitation and colonization by outsiders; a dangerous jungle ruled by drug-lords, fueled by illicit trade from richer nations; a land where high plains and chill deserts meet great mountains at the crossroads of the world.

Okay fine, that last one doesn't leave much room for sailing ships, but the other two would be great.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember being involved in that argument. In Trollman's mind, if there is a magically-created castle, there needs to be a Butthead's Beatific Battlements spell that you can look up, and backsolve the caster's level from the square footage of stone created, and so on. To just make poo poo up is a tyranny perpetrated upon your poor PCs.

this is a core design idea of 3e, that PCs should have access to everything NPCs can do. I wouldn't say it's a good idea (nor is it one that 3e dies an especially good job adhering to), but it's not one that originates with tgd or trollman.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Jimbozig posted:

Man, if they have to go with "Oriental" settings, they could at least go with something less cliche.

Honestly, immediately recognizable cliches are kind of the point of 7th Sea nation building. It's all about pointing the finger at a big/key country on the map and asking what's the one fantastical gimmick bolted on top of it. Also a handy list of all of its recognizable historical figures with slightly changed surnames and what-ifs about them somehow all living at the same time.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Man, if they have to go with "Oriental" settings, they could at least go with something less cliche. How about a not-Indonesia, a not-Myanmar, or a not-central-Asia?

A vast nation of islands incorporating dozens of disparate religions and cultures into one of the most diverse and populous nations on the planet, united primarily by their common history of exploitation and colonization by outsiders; a dangerous jungle ruled by drug-lords, fueled by illicit trade from richer nations; a land where high plains and chill deserts meet great mountains at the crossroads of the world.

Okay fine, that last one doesn't leave much room for sailing ships, but the other two would be great.

Kinda mess up to characterize the Golden Triangle nations by drug trade rather than culture.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also I just watched Valerian and while I found the movie's main plot and character to be really weak, I really loved the designs on everything, from creatures to technology and the worldbuilding on how the space megalopolis built from several space stations from all human nations and eventually from several non-human creatures came to be and I wonder if there's any space TRPG setting that has that Rodenderry-esque space utopian richness of details and diversity.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
eclipse phase

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Cease to Hope posted:

this is a core design idea of 3e, that PCs should have access to everything NPCs can do. I wouldn't say it's a good idea (nor is it one that 3e dies an especially good job adhering to), but it's not one that originates with tgd or trollman.

It's a terrible idea because it usually limits PCs to only being able to do what NPCs do but maybe slightly better due to budget and time constraints, instead of giving PCs cool as hell options to do stuff and NPCs just doing whatever NPCs do, if it's not an attack handwave it.

Instead in 3e you get stuff like NPCs not being able to do their jobs but PCs become rich as kings in like a month's worth of work.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Instead in 3e you get stuff like NPCs not being able to do their jobs but PCs become rich as kings in like a month's worth of work.

i don't think it's the cause of the problems with 3e's skill system, especially for crafting or jobs. crafting is completely nonfunctional at any skill level, for example.

transparency would only be the cause if a system that worked well for PCs, monsters, or mundane NPCs was forced on the others despite the bad fit. instead, 3e skills don't work right for anyone or anything at any level.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Plutonis posted:

I still need to play 7th Sea. . .

It needs rules work. They rushed to get the main book in print for GenCon last year, and as a result the Duelist system is just plain badly integrated and the ship system non-existent.

Love the setting, though.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Any good adventures where the PCs are breaking someone out of prison. Preferably Sci-fi, Modern, or Cyberpunk, but fantasy can be adapted too

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a game that uses percentage modifiers?

I'm not referring to percentile dice - I'm referring to effects like +10% damage, rather than ... +2 damage. I understand the inherent difficulty of using such a design in a tabletop/pen-and-paper game, because math is hard unironically, but I'd be interested to see if anyone has tried, since it'd be another way to create "tuning forks" across different player options.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The fallout P&P port had percentile damage reduction. It... existed

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I'm sure the Returners Final Fantasy RPG does literally that.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Doesn't FATAL use a ton of percentiles?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Lichtenstein posted:

Honestly, immediately recognizable cliches are kind of the point of 7th Sea nation building. It's all about pointing the finger at a big/key country on the map and asking what's the one fantastical gimmick bolted on top of it. Also a handy list of all of its recognizable historical figures with slightly changed surnames and what-ifs about them somehow all living at the same time.

Sure, that's true. My descriptions we're also essentially cliches/stereotypes too. I just think that they'd be more interesting than not-Japan for the billionth time. But I guess lots of players want to play as samurai and ninjas, so that's fair.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Japan's got a ton of interesting history to play with, though. We'll see how it turns out in the writing, there's a ton of stuff more interesting than 'A Kurosawa Film' they could go with.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A nation of samurai except they're all rich and buying up real estate like nutso. This can't go wrong!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Boshim War/Early Meiji era hasn't been explored much fwiw.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One time I made a homebrew setting where the dwarves came from a society that was a mix of not-Japan and not-Renaissance Italy. I took the whole "dwarves are master smiths" thing and instead of having them be from underground, they were from a metal-poor island chain like Japan, so their smithing was very good because they had to make the most of what they had (basically play into that "katanas were the best swords ever made" myth). And later they get super into seafaring trade and formed merchant houses that run competing city-states on the islands, playing off the "dwarves are clannish" trope.

Anyway that's my not-Japan story, thank you for reading

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

LongDarkNight posted:

Some day, brother, we will be free of these foreign mods and the grog mines will reopen.

I'm making the CAD RPG :getin:

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Ettin posted:

I'm making the CAD RPG :getin:

A game of tragic O'rish manchildren.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Haystack posted:

Doesn't FATAL use a ton of percentiles?

He's not asking about percentiles.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Liquid Communism posted:

It needs rules work. They rushed to get the main book in print for GenCon last year, and as a result the Duelist system is just plain badly integrated and the ship system non-existent.

Love the setting, though.
I may have mentioned it before, but something about the entire rules system just hits a squishy spot between rules-light and rules-heavy, and it honestly doesn't look like it does either very well. It also seems to be more demanding of the GM to come up with a list of consequences ahead of any rolls; I didn't find the guidance in the rulebook very helpful at all.

I dunno; I don't regret backing it, but I'm in no hurry to run it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Star Wars™: The Roleplaying Game 30th Anniversary Edition has just been announced by FFG.

They're re-releasing the original West End version.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/tegiminis/status/897847897873465344

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
They say living well is the best revenge.

Zak S appears to engaging in the worst revenge.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Can we just not talk about the sapient turdpile in here? I'd like at least one place to be safe from evil.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Can we just not talk about the sapient turdpile in here? I'd like at least one place to be safe from evil.

What about if I want to ask how best to stat a sapient turdpile for an Earthbound game?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

eclipse phase

Details?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Evil Mastermind posted:

Star Wars™: The Roleplaying Game 30th Anniversary Edition has just been announced by FFG.

They're re-releasing the original West End version.

Neat

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

My Jedi gets in a drinking contest.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jimbozig posted:

A vast nation of islands incorporating dozens of disparate religions and cultures into one of the most diverse and populous nations on the planet, united primarily by their common history of exploitation and colonization by outsiders

This one woudn't fit in 7th Sea because notEurope just discovered the new world, and colonialism is barely getting started. 7th Sea 1e sort of had a vast nation of islands, but it was badly bungled and I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying their best to distance themselves from it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

I may have mentioned it before, but something about the entire rules system just hits a squishy spot between rules-light and rules-heavy, and it honestly doesn't look like it does either very well. It also seems to be more demanding of the GM to come up with a list of consequences ahead of any rolls; I didn't find the guidance in the rulebook very helpful at all.

I dunno; I don't regret backing it, but I'm in no hurry to run it.

We ended up having to house rule a lot of things on the fly to keep play moving when I tested it, and it generally seemed that a combat-oriented character had about one good fight in them before being too wounded to really be able to sustain. The Villain at the end of the adventure party wiped us due to the way the Duelist rules are written, though, because he beat our Duelist via initiative and Lunge, then was effectively unbeatable. Duelists having a 5:1 advantage in action to wound efficiency means that your only real option for a non-duelist to deal with one is to bring six pistols and just unload them all in sequence.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that a John Wick made RPG might have significant problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kai Tave posted:

I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that a John Wick made RPG might have significant problems.

The Midnight Archipelago supplement (yes they did use that name for their Africa/Caribbean/Polynesian mash-up place) was also late in the 1e line when they were making d20 rules for everything in a last-ditch effort to keep the game afloat too

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 17, 2017

• Locked thread