Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
who is the biggest fail club
This poll is closed.
arsenal 9223372036854775807 100.00%
not arsenal 1 0.00%
Total: 23 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sassassin posted:

Imagine if your boss said "no you can't go to do the same job elsewhere with better people for more money" and the rules backed them up. I wouldn't show up for training either.

Speaking of, the Guardian had an article a few days ago about how Diego Costa is planning to sue Chelsea over his treatment (i.e. Chelsea trying to force him to go to China for big money when what he wants is to go to Atletico for medium money) and the article was talking about how he could actually have some legal grounds to stand on because every other kind of employer doesn't get the right to dictate where you go when you leave their employment:

quote:

From a purely footballing view he has no real gripe. Players are shifted on all the time and hear about it in far less courteous fashion. Costa has already been replaced, and replaced well, by Álvaro Morata. The path from here is well trodden. Get fit. Find a new club. And stop bleating on about respect.

At which point things get complicated. “Why won’t they let me go if they don’t want me?” Costa has asked. “I want to go to Atlético Madrid.”

The most obvious answer to which, not stated but implied, is that Chelsea are either refusing to sell, given the knockdown price Costa would fetch right now; or asking a price Atlético Madrid are unwilling to pay.

“I have rejected other offers,” Costa goes on. “They want to sell me to China or other teams. The language is better for me in Spain. If I’m off, I’m going to the club I want to go to, not the club that’s paying the most.”

At which point, if you listen closely, you can hear the entire superheated industry of professional club football starting to quiver. Costa’s lawyer has already suggested he will use “all legal mechanisms” to get the move he wants. How would this work in practice? In the real non-footballing world it seems laughable you could be denied the right to leave your job and work for another employer, or told only certain selected future employers are acceptable.

Football has come a long way since the retain and transfer system, whereby a player’s registration was owned by his club, who could in extremis refuse to release it and force a former employee into retirement. The Eastham judgment in 1963 relaxed this owner-and-chattel relationship. Bosman attacked clubs’ rights to have a say on a player’s employment beyond the end of his contract. Other rulings have already suggested there is headway to be made challenging further the power of clubs to “own” a player’s employment prospects.

Costa aside, this is a huge live issue given the number of top footballers currently out with a bad case of wanting to play for someone else. Philippe Coutinho wants to work for Barcelona. Virgil van Dijk wanted to work for Liverpool. Both have broken the code by taking steps to decide their own professional destiny.

Football will remain a special case. Clubs must be protected. Academies and player production systems must be presented with an incentive to produce footballers and stop the whole ramshackle circus from falling to pieces. But for all his infuriating sense of entitlement, his clod-hopping failed powerplay, Costa is undoubtedly on to something.

Three things are possible from here. Conte leaves before Costa does and the most improbable of Premier League comebacks becomes a very, very distant possibility. Chelsea and Atlético reach an agreement that makes this whole sorry mess disappear. Or, at a long shot, the man known during his Albacete days as “that loving Brazilian” gets to wreak his own peculiar havoc on football’s transfer system at a time when, quite frankly, anything seems possible out there.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/14/diego-costa-chelsea-transfer-atletico-madrid

Unlikely to come to anything, but it could be another step towards much more open player movement since under labour laws footballers as employees are absurdly restricted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pik_d posted:

You'll be saying this right up until he signs for City though, then he'll have always been poo poo and if he wasn't why didn't United keep him?

Because whoever sold him was a moron

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
if you want to be free to move between clubs at your leisure then only sign one year contracts

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

pik_d posted:

Sky has City going for Jonny "loving" Evans :negative:

Can't wait for another Welcome to Manchester banner #epicbants

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bunch of reports out there saying Arsenal are selling Gabriel to Valencia, Valencia just posted this teaser video: https://twitter.com/valenciacf/status/897887619090186241

So yeah I guess that’s a thing.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Reprisal posted:

Krychowiak was a beast for Sevilla, hard to understand the degradation

His woman is to blame. He's spent more time buying clothes and playing a celebrity than focusing on his game. Tbh, I don't think he can recover from this. None of the teams he'd be interested in joining want him or are willing to match his wages. He'll probably sit out the rest of his contract and then fade away into obscurity.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

pik_d posted:

Sky has City going for Jonny "loving" Evans :negative:

BBC are reporting that West Brom have turned down eighteen million pounds sterling

for Jonny Evans

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

pik_d posted:

You'll be saying this right up until he signs for City though, then he'll have always been poo poo and if he wasn't why didn't United keep him?

United ejected Evans because he wouldn't stop talking to the press or picking up red cards. he was their best defender when they released him.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Reprisal posted:

United ejected Evans because he wouldn't stop talking to the press or picking up red cards. he was their best defender when they released him.

Talking to the press? I don't remember that, what was he saying that was so bad? I don't even know if I've ever heard him say more than the whole "we're just happy to have the 3 points"

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

TheBigAristotle posted:

Talking to the press? I don't remember that, what was he saying that was so bad? I don't even know if I've ever heard him say more than the whole "we're just happy to have the 3 points"

He kept saying he didn't rape that woman

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

sassassin posted:

Imagine if your boss said "no you can't go to do the same job elsewhere with better people for more money" and the rules backed them up. I wouldn't show up for training either.

He could probably hand in his notice if he wants its just Southampton will continue to own his registration lol

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/Everton/status/897892262528532480

It is officially official. £45m for Gylfi in this transfer window of madness.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
first brexit, then trump, then this transfer window

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MrBling posted:

https://twitter.com/Everton/status/897892262528532480

It is officially official. £45m for Gylfi in this transfer window of madness.

He will score one free kick and be out of their first team by Christmas imo.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

wicka posted:

Bunch of reports out there saying Arsenal are selling Gabriel to Valencia, Valencia just posted this teaser video: https://twitter.com/valenciacf/status/897887619090186241

So yeah I guess that’s a thing.

Apparently it's a €10m fee? He's not good, but that seems really low for this market. I guess Wengy just can't clear out any of the other deadweight.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Bonucci was for sale

And City are going for Jonny Evans

I don't think there's a :thunk: big enough

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Bonucci was for sale

And City are going for Jonny Evans

I don't think there's a :thunk: big enough

Bonucci was never leaving Italy so that has nothing to do with City.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Jonny Evans.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

Apparently it's a €10m fee? He's not good, but that seems really low for this market. I guess Wengy just can't clear out any of the other deadweight.

He's said before they have to sell players before they can bring in anyone new, and he gave an interview recently to L'Equipe where he pretty bluntly stated that they can't keep with the wage demands of some potential signings. So I imagine they jumped at the first opportunity to free up some of the wage budget. The fee isn't very high, but maybe Valencia was the first club to agree wages with one of Arsenal's fringe players? They're all making way more than they will anywhere else.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I regularly forget that Johnny Evans is only 29 but even so for City to go after him is loving bizarre.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Well yeah.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

wicka posted:

He's said before they have to sell players before they can bring in anyone new, and he gave an interview recently to L'Equipe where he pretty bluntly stated that they can't keep with the wage demands of some potential signings. So I imagine they jumped at the first opportunity to free up some of the wage budget. The fee isn't very high, but maybe Valencia was the first club to agree wages with one of Arsenal's fringe players? They're all making way more than they will anywhere else.

Right. I thought Gabriel would be kind of low on the list of bad overpaid players he was trying to sell, but here we are.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

Right. I thought Gabriel would be kind of low on the list of bad overpaid players he was trying to sell, but here we are.

It's kind of a bummer, because while he's not a great player, he's certainly more valuable than the likes of Debuchy and Jenkinson. But I suppose that's why someone actually wanted to buy him.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

FullLeatherJacket posted:

BBC are reporting that West Brom have turned down eighteen million pounds sterling

for Jonny Evans

In this market he's clearly worth more to West Brom than £18m is

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I'd be pissed if we sold him for even close to 18. He's our captain and best player and we almost certainly won't replace him with anyone decent.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

They other way to look at this is Mangala is off to Inter. Unfortunately Inter only want to loan him.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

TheBigAristotle posted:

he was part of the leak squad iirc

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
I thought that was just Fletcher?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

Lol.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

Hah

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Loved this Evans moment so much

bonus, Vidic looking on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bpitiO90c4

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Thirteenth Step posted:

I'd be pissed if we sold him for even close to 18. He's our captain and best player and we almost certainly won't replace him with anyone decent.

I don't think there was a risk of anyone expecting west brom to sign someone decent

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

PirateBob posted:

Loved this Evans moment so much

bonus, Vidic looking on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bpitiO90c4
That's the worst reffing decision I've ever seen

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
lol what was the card even for?

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Vegetable posted:

That's the worst reffing decision I've ever seen

he had it coming

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
City need more homegrown players?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
at the time i recall defending Evans for that on account of the fact that he was being charged at by a massive leaping black man and had to defend himself

you wouldn't get away with that these days. The challenge I mean, not the racism on these dead gay forums

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

hadji murad posted:

City need more homegrown players?

If anything they need club-grown players for the CL limit. They're fine for the 17 non-home grown limit for the PL currently. I don't see how Jonny Evans helps anything unless Delph is being shipped off or something.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
lol at the implication delph didnt fall off the planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
is delph still alive?

• Locked thread