Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

syscall girl posted:

just pack a really big duffel bag and refer to it as your Idoru

speaking of worthless things on wikipedia,

quote:

Why "Idoru"?[edit]
Anyone know the reason why Gibson misspelled the Japanese word for idol, which is アイドル (romanized as aidoru)? Sorry if this question is not seen as pertaining to the article as it stands now, but if there is an answer, there might be a place for that piece of trivia in the article. 24.85.131.247 (talk) 05:34, 5 July 2012 (UTC)

I can only speculate since I cannot find anything in regards to the name. The name of a novel is often an editorial choice from the standpoint of marketing by the publisher. It may also be a deliberate choice as more recognizable to the English root (of the Japlish loan word since it itself is a Japonization of English phonemes) "Idol" versus the more phonetically correct "aidoru" which might be less recognizable to an English speaker as pertaining to idol.Pmarshal (talk) 09:24, 12 August 2012 (UTC)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Trig Discipline posted:

i'm actually going to osaka next week and i think i may have accidentally reserved a love hotel. it's listed as "adults only" anyway. was the only thing near where i need to be

i'll be staying there alone though so if it really is one they'll be like "lol dude had to rent a nice hotel to get laid even with his own hand"

i was once booking a hotel in a rural town and it said "adults only" so I thought "hey great no screaming children or whatever" then when I was looking at the rooms I couldn't figure out what was in the background in the pictures. turned out every room had a full on sex swing hanging from the ceiling.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

i was once booking a hotel in a rural town and it said "adults only" so I thought "hey great no screaming children or whatever" then when I was looking at the rooms I couldn't figure out what was in the background in the pictures. turned out every room had a full on sex swing hanging from the ceiling.

would book that hotel

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
At 8.00 am on the morning of Sunday 15 January 2012 the landmark Campbell's Tower was demolished by competition-winner Sarah Griffiths, whose father, Mick Locke (52) had died after being scalded by a blast of steam at the factory in 1995. It was Campbell's first UK factory when it opened in the 1950s, employing hundreds of local workers. At its peak in the early 1990s, it employed more than 700 workers.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
The show has spawned several replicas of its format, including a family-friendly French Canadian version called Frank vs Girard that airs on VRAK.TV. Also following the format are Ed vs. Spencer in the United Kingdom, Juan vs. Roman in Colombia, Elton vs. Simon in Germany, Katja vs. Bridget, Dennis vs. Valerio in the Netherlands, and Sid vs. Varun in India. In 2009 the show was named #8 among the top 10 Canadian television shows of the decade.[3]

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

In 2009 the show was named #8 among the top 10 Canadian television shows of the decade.[3]
the first place show was the hockey puck episode of how its made

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

The show has spawned several replicas of its format, including a family-friendly French Canadian version called Frank vs Girard that airs on VRAK.TV. Also following the format are Ed vs. Spencer in the United Kingdom, Juan vs. Roman in Colombia, Elton vs. Simon in Germany, Katja vs. Bridget, Dennis vs. Valerio in the Netherlands, and Sid vs. Varun in India. In 2009 the show was named #8 among the top 10 Canadian television shows of the decade.[3]

tell me more about this katja vs. bridget

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i bet sid vs varun is some wild tv

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

knew what this was instantly :canada:

spenny lived in my hometown and i used to see him regularly at one particular local pub looking real depressed

probably because he was the star of a show targeted at 17 year olds when he was 45 fuckin years old

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

FMguru posted:

the first place show was the hockey puck episode of how its made

Seriouspost: why would you watch anything else when women's curling is on?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Potoooooooo (also spelled Pot-8-Os, Pot8Os, Pot8O's or Pot 8 Os in various sources) was a chestnut colt bred by Willoughby Bertie, 4th Earl of Abingdon, in 1773. He was sired by the undefeated Eclipse. He was the first foal out of Sportsmistress, who was sired by Warren's Sportsman and traced to Thwaites' Dun Mare from family number 38 on her dam's side.[1][2]

The origin of his name has several different versions. According to one, Abingdon intended to call the young colt "Potato" and instructed the stable boy to write the name on a feed bin. The stable boy facetiously spelled the name as "Potoooooooo" (Pot followed by 8 "o"s), which so amused Abingdon that he adopted the spelling.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

not worthless

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i think that's like the third time that's been posted

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sham bam bamina! posted:

it will never unseat the toast sandwich

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sham bam bamina! posted:

wikigame: start from a random race horse & get to Pot8o in the fewest links via sires, dams, & foals

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

someone add citation needed after simple and economical

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

please, my undergrad had mayo, ketchup and mustard

lol the uk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRcF7t5HGhQ

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
who doesnt toast their sandwiches already

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i refuse to believe this isn't a subtle troll of english cuisine

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Powaqoatse posted:

wikigame: start from a random race horse & get to Pot8o in the fewest links via sires, dams, & foals

six degrees of kevin neighcon

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

it's really amazing

In November 2011 the toast sandwich was recreated by the Royal Society of Chemistry in a tasting almost 150 years after the release of Beeton's Book of Household Management.[2] The society sought to revive the forgotten dish in wake of the Great Recession after finding the cost being as low as 7.5p per sandwich.[3] They named it "the country's most economical lunch", and even offered Ł200 to whoever could devise a cheaper meal.[4] Due to an overabundance of submissions the offer was closed 7 days later, and the Ł200 given to a randomly selected entrant.[5]

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

haveblue posted:

six degrees of kevin neighcon

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

it is. this is not a common thing that ordinary english people have heard of.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
The copyleft symbol is a backwards C in a circle (copyright symbol © mirrored). It has no legal significance.[58] Because it is currently unavailable on Unicode, it can be approximated with character U+2184 ↄ LATIN SMALL LETTER REVERSED C or the more widely available character U+0254 ɔ LATIN SMALL LETTER OPEN O between parenthesis '(ɔ)' or, if supported by the application, by combining it with the character U+20DD ↄ⃝ COMBINING ENCLOSING CIRCLE: 'ↄ⃝'.[59]

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBuyPower_and_NetcodeGuides_match_fixing_scandal

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

wiki posted:

On 19 November, Indianapolis bombarded Tarawa Atoll and next day pounded Makin (see Battle of Makin).

(sorry not worthless this is a great read I just liked "pounded")

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Indianapolis_(CA-35)

e: aw poo poo that boring wikipedian rear end in a top hat who monitors this thread is going to edit that

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 20, 2017

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
The overriding plot premise was unrealistic: religious groups and other not-for-profit organizations are typically exempt from federal or state taxes; although a legislative proposal to tax such property was under consideration in Illinois at the time.[8]

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
https://tinyurl.com/yosposwikipedia

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98AJUj-qxHI

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_gambling

5000 words, 70 citations about csgo gambling

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

to be fair that's probably the least horrifying outcome of a page titled "skin gambling"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Empire Seaworthy[edit]
Empire Seaworthy was a 522 GRT coaster which was built by Goole Shipbuilding and Repairing Co Ltd, Goole. Launched on 27 August 1945 and completed in October 1945. Sold in 1946 to Middle East Coastal Services Ltd, Cyprus and renamed Sidibarrani. Sold in 1951 to Straits Steamship Co Ltd and renamed Semenyih. Sold in 1967 to Sharikat Perk. Sendirian, Malaya. Scrapped in December 1971 in Singapore.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Researchers at the University of Tokyo have created a robot hand that has a 100% winning rate playing rock–paper–scissors. Using a high-speed camera, the robot recognizes within one millisecond which shape the human hand is making, then produces the corresponding winning shape.[33]

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Researchers at the University of Tokyo have created a robot hand that has a 100% winning rate playing rock–paper–scissors. Using a high-speed camera, the robot recognizes within one millisecond which shape the human hand is making, then produces the corresponding winning shape.[33]

But that isn't predictive, just inhumanly fast. What's the point?

Also, what happens when you put two of them against each-other?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

sir this is the funy wikipedia thread

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lutha Mahtin posted:

sir this is the funy wikipedia thread

Literally though I was in the Tech Bubble "AI is, like, hard" thread.

:blush:

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Rock Paper Scissors Robot

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
cheating computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

yosposters like to cheat on their computers