Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Totally going to Qualcomm this Saturday for Aztecs fan fest and gonna get a sweet souvenir cup :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Joey Freshwater posted:

I mean I don't know what you're expecting. Most national expectations are that UT won't finish higher than 3rd in the east. Short of Dormandy and John Kelly becoming the next great duo, it's not going to be a pretty season.

There's talent all over the team. OL and DL are stacked. LBs and secondary nearly all return. There's some question marks at WR and QB but I think we are due for a new QB to come in and tear poo poo up like every other team in the country seems to be able to do. Surely we can get to minimum 9 wins.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I tried to call into PAAAAAAAAAAAUL today, but all I got was dial tones

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Demon Of The Fall posted:

There's talent all over the team. OL and DL are stacked. LBs and secondary nearly all return. There's some question marks at WR and QB but I think we are due for a new QB to come in and tear poo poo up like every other team in the country seems to be able to do. Surely we can get to minimum 9 wins.

What would Butch have to do to keep his job out of curiosity? He was unfireable last year if I remember right but could be let go this year.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

What would Butch have to do to keep his job out of curiosity? He was unfireable last year if I remember right but could be let go this year.

I still don't think he's fireable unless we absolutely tank this season. 8-9 wins is probably about what should be expected.

More losses to USC/Vandy could hurt him. But if he beats UGA and UF again, there's still a case to keep him.

I guess the real question is let's say you do blow it up and start over - again - who do you go get?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
If Butch gets canned you can say goodbye to what is turning out to be a very very good 2018 recruiting class. We were up there in the top 5 weeks ago but I haven't checked lately. Those kids probably go elsewhere if we struggle to a 7-5 year with a few bad losses.

Joey Freshwater posted:

I guess the real question is let's say you do blow it up and start over - again - who do you go get?

*whispers* Jon Gruden

Demon Of The Fall fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 17, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I honestly think it would have to be worse than 7-5. And it would have to be some really bad losses. Like you said he's brought in some good classes but he's also starting with new WRs, New QB and new RBs.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

If Butch gets canned you can say goodbye to what is turning out to be a very very good 2018 recruiting class. We were up there in the top 5 weeks ago but I haven't checked lately. Those kids probably go elsewhere if we struggle to a 7-5 year with a few bad losses.

*whispers* Jon Gruden

A school like UT should never sacrifice a recruiting class for a coach that needs to go. If this was VT I'd say yea, sign that class then move on but UT recruits good regardless of the coach.

That said, there's no way Butch is there in 2020.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Tennessee should start the season 0-3 so we can see interim coach brady hoke

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I honestly see us coming out flat as poo poo against GT and fighting back but ultimately losing. I can feel it in my bones that we lose that first game. Butch's seat will be roasting if we do.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I honestly see us coming out flat as poo poo against GT and fighting back but ultimately losing. I can feel it in my bones that we lose that first game. Butch's seat will be roasting if we do.

I'll be at the game.

For my getting sex sake I hope GT wins.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
GT just pulls that old bullshit VT used to do ages ago where if they were at all favored or ranked they'll inevitably poo poo the bed but they're a goddamn unholy terror to play if they're the underdog and not talked about much. Expectations make GT crumble, I think every time they came out of the blue to win the Coastal and/or the ACC the next year they do awful when they're picked to win stuff. They're a pretty popular dark horse candidate this year so I'm not really sure how to take that.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
IDK ultimately the GT game is irrelevant because it doesn't effect the east at all. If we come out flat and lose to GT but then go on to win the East, nobody is gonna give a poo poo about that game

Mr. World
May 6, 2007
Working undercover for the man . . .

Raku posted:

Tennessee should start the season 0-3 so we can see interim coach brady hoke

Who then stumbles into 8-4 and wins "big" in the outback bowl against a down big 5 team who had a disappointing season.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
0-3 is a little ridiculous. UT could just as easily start 5-0 (im not calling the USC game)

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Here's my prediction: ah, Tennessee fricking sucks

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Scarf posted:

Yeah, my cousin still has one of the Clemson 1981 bottles. And one of the 1974 "Undefeated Home Season" bottles Pepsi did...

I have an unopened '81 and empty '74. E: and '81 "Clemson orange soda" can.

.....I assumed all tiger fans did this....

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 17, 2017

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Mr. World posted:

Who then stumbles into 8-4 and wins "big" in the outback bowl against a down big 5 team who had a disappointing season.

What is a big 5 team?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Joey Freshwater posted:

0-3 is a little ridiculous. UT could just as easily start 5-0 (im not calling the USC game)

Tennessee lost like everybody, they're at best like an 8 win team on paper if they don't get as lucky as they did some games last year.

Take than and subtract 3 for the hoke factor

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Quandary posted:

What is a big 5 team?

The five teams not in the SEC. Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas, Notre Dame, and FAU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Raku posted:

Tennessee lost like everybody, they're at best like an 8 win team on paper if they don't get as lucky as they did some games last year.

Take than and subtract 3 for the hoke factor

I'm the one saying we're not going to be good this year, but as long as people were throwing out hyperbolic situations I figured I should too

We did lose a lot but have had some great recruiting classes to replace those guys that left, so hopefully there won't be a huge drop off. I think Dobbs is going to be missed more than people think though.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/craftypanda/status/897996082764034048
UVa students showing out well in spite of the horrors they saw

Edit: now with sound

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 17, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Crotch Bat posted:

GT just pulls that old bullshit VT used to do ages ago where if they were at all favored or ranked they'll inevitably poo poo the bed but they're a goddamn unholy terror to play if they're the underdog and not talked about much. Expectations make GT crumble, I think every time they came out of the blue to win the Coastal and/or the ACC the next year they do awful when they're picked to win stuff. They're a pretty popular dark horse candidate this year so I'm not really sure how to take that.

Yup. GT crumbles if there's any kind of preseason expectations. Regardless, we've got a difficult schedule this year. We've got 3 teams that have a bye week before us (one of which is @Clemson so RIP). The Coastal's full of good-but-not-great teams and everyone except UVA and UNC seem to have a pretty decent shot at it.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Scionix posted:

Here's my prediction: ah, Tennessee fricking sucks

same.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

MourningView posted:

People were so impressed by their ability to survive this fearsome schedule unscathed that they finished the year ranked 17th.

I didn't say they were national championship contenders. They had no interest in being the equivalent of FBS until the late 70s. It's not like it was hard to be a mid level team in the east back in the day, Fry started recruiting there because there was so little competition. When they moved up, they promptly just started being super mediocre, not horrible. So no, you're 100% wrong, Google refuted exactly what he said.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kim Jong Il posted:

So no, you're 100% wrong, Google refuted exactly what he said.

I have absolutely no idea what this means.

Also from what I can tell you guys went to exactly one bowl before Greg Schiano got there. Maybe that plays into your weird point about not caring for a while but as a fan of a mediocre program man that kinda blows.

e: Christ my editing sucks.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 17, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Raku posted:

The five teams not in the SEC. Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas, Notre Dame, and FAU

go owls

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Kim Jong Il posted:

I didn't say they were national championship contenders. They had no interest in being the equivalent of FBS until the late 70s. It's not like it was hard to be a mid level team in the east back in the day, Fry started recruiting there because there was so little competition. When they moved up, they promptly just started being super mediocre, not horrible. So no, you're 100% wrong, Google refuted exactly what he said.

The best coach you ever had went .500, congrats

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

pillsburysoldier posted:

https://twitter.com/craftypanda/status/897996082764034048
UVa students showing out well in spite of the horrors they saw

Edit: now with sound

1 part :cry:, 9001 times :unsmith:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

angryrobots posted:

I have an unopened '81 and empty '74. E: and '81 "Clemson orange soda" can.

.....I assumed all tiger fans did this....

It's a requirement for every UGA-supporting home to have an unopened national championship Coca-Cola bottle on display.

Encouraged but optional is the Vince Dooley serving tray.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kim Jong Il posted:

They had no interest in being the equivalent of FBS until the late 70s.

Afterwhich they were mostly really bad. Their records fell off a cliff once they stopped almost exclusively playing schools that are now in the Patriot or Ivy League until Schiano gets there.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
How many power 5 teams' overall records are worse than Rutgers? Like two per conference?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol at claiming Rutgers is anything but a historical bottom dweller.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

How many power 5 teams' overall records are worse than Rutgers? Like two per conference?

Pretty much. There's 12 such teams. Three in the SEC and Big 12. Everyone else has two. Some of them are far worse even. Like Wake Forest is way down in last place for FBS, with all the recent move ups like FAU. They have the second worst record of teams with over a thousand games played and fifth worst for over 500 games played.

Washington, who isn't exactly top tier all time but has a very respectable percentage all time, has exactly the same number of losses as Wake Forest has wins.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Hey guys I know this isn't football related but we (my wife) had a baby last night and I'm very excited about having brought another sad Husker fan into the world.

The first thing I said to him was, "This is your mom, I'm your dad. We love you. I have good news - football season is starting soon." He seemed pretty psyched:

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 17, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I dunno if I mentioned this or not but the UGA ND game is going to have a poo poo ton of UGA people in Chicago that weekend.

So much so that Vince Dooley is throwing out the first pitch at the Cubs game that Friday, September 8th

Seaniqua posted:

Hey guys I know this isn't football related but we (my wife) had a baby last night and I'm very excited about having brought another sad Husker fan into the world.

The first thing I said to him was, "This is your mom, I'm your dad. We love you. I have good news - football season is starting soon." He seemed pretty psyched:

Is his name something something corn related? Also when are you buying him an account?

Congrats!

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 17, 2017

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Seaniqua posted:

Congrats, my dude. Enjoy the ride, it goes fast.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/NavyAthletics/status/898004390841286656

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Seaniqua posted:

One day he will be so confused when you try to explain to him that Nebraska was once a dynasty.

(Congrats, man)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Seaniqua posted:

d'awwwwwwwwwwww :buddy: he's adorable

• Locked thread