Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

awesmoe posted:

is steve scalise out of the hospital yet?

Case in point. I'm honestly surprised FOX and Rush haven't been hammering that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wait, is that the same John Dowd who got Pete Rose and George Steinbrenner banned from baseball?

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Mahoning posted:

lol isn't this alt-history or did Harry actually write some non-fiction?

Don't you remember when South African white supremacists travelled back in time and gave modern weapons to the Confederacy? Surely you remember reading the awkward sex scenes between Lee and his wife in your history classes, right?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Mahoning posted:

lol isn't this alt-history or did Harry actually write some non-fiction?

Looks like it is a book that asks the question "what if the South had ak-47s in 1864?"

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

evilweasel posted:

reporters cannot loving figure out what in god's name bannon could have been thinking when he called up a reporter he'd never met or spoken to before, said all that crazy poo poo, and didn't realize the reporter might report on it

Weird. Maybe Bannon actually has no friends (likely?), and when he got all excited about Trump validating his army of flying Pepes, he didn't have anyone to call and brag to so he called a reporter.

SAD!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Has anyone else seen MSNBC today? They had a segment where they decide to show the video of the guy crying and the dude throwing off your shirt in fear. They've been began discussing how the alt-right likes to project themselves as alpha male. They concluded that members of the alt-right were a bunch of wusses and losers and social outcasts who just like to look tough to make up for how much of a wimp they are.

It was pretty loving hilarious. Anyone got a video of it?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Deadulus posted:

This has gotten me interested in reading about the Civil War. Does anyone know some good Civil War history books?

shelby foote is sort of the classical answer but he's a bit uhhh southern

follow it up with eric foner's book on reconstruction

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

boner confessor posted:

shelby foote is sort of the classical answer but he's a bit uhhh southern

Yes. He strengthened the lost cause for generations. He's a 'good' historian as long as you ignore his romantic views of the south.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
They also told him to resign so uhh

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
My favorite thing I discovered today is that Michael Buffer, yes THAT Michael Buffer, is a loud and passionate liberal.

https://twitter.com/michael_buffer/status/897365845290004480

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Covok posted:

Has anyone else seen MSNBC today? They had a segment where they decide to show the video of the guy crying and the dude throwing off your shirt in fear. They've been began discussing how the alt-right likes to project themselves as alpha male. They concluded that members of the alt-right were a bunch of wusses and losers and social outcasts who just like to look tough to make up for how much of a wimp they are.

No dude, they deleted them all. :(

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I have this weird feeling that we're not going to see the neo-nazis in public again.

They'll still be there. But I think after Charlottesville they're gonna get wise to the fact that they should wear red/white/blue and wave American flags, and keep their message to a dogwhistle. Swastikas and pepe will stay home.

We'll see in Phoenix I guess.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Teddybear posted:

He has the motivation and intelligence of a toddler. And judging by his backside, the continence of one, too.

Wait, did I miss him making GBS threads himself? Like, I mean literally, not the press conference.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
have we done the shkreli jury selection transcripts in here yet? because lol
https://harpers.org/archive/2017/09/public-enemy/

quote:

the court: The purpose of jury selection is to ensure fairness and impartiality in this case. If you think that you could not be fair and impartial, it is your duty to tell me. All right. Juror Number 1.
juror no. 1: I’m aware of the defendant and I hate him.
benjamin brafman: I’m sorry.
juror no. 1: I think he’s a greedy little man.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

the black husserl posted:

I have this weird feeling that we're not going to see the neo-nazis in public again.

They'll still be there. But I think after Charlottesville they're gonna get wise to the fact that they should wear red/white/blue and wave American flags, and keep their message to a dogwhistle. Swastikas and pepe will stay home.

We'll see in Phoenix I guess.

No that will be after a white nationalist unloads his ar15 into a crowd killing 9

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

Covok posted:

You mean this:

http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/who-are-the-people-who-rallied-in-charlottesville-1026345027641

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Petr posted:

Wait, did I miss him making GBS threads himself? Like, I mean literally, not the press conference.

I think it was a diaper joke.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Tatsuta Age posted:

You've been brainwashed by Big RC Cola

You rang?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

quote:

juror no. 59: And he disrespected the Wu-Tang Clan

Kale
May 14, 2010

yellowcar posted:

Yes. They are.

I think it's just posting culture coming to a point now where the entire goal is to 'own' the poo poo out of everyone and if you get mad, you lose. What better way to do that than through inflammatory racist poo poo? Easily the lowest hanging fruit there is. Coincide that with the fact that these chuds are perennial losers through and through, they latch on to that white supremacy because it gives them that feeling that they'll eventually get something/become something more than whatever pathetic life they're living right now.

I think that's exactly what it is and that that's basically the Trump philosophy as well which is why they see in him a champion even if they have nothing else in common with the guy besides being a poo poo disturber for life. Screw getting the facts straight or standing for something as long as the perception is you BTFO the other guy in one way or another. The very idea that there could be an exchange of ideas on the internet that isn't in the form of some petty feud over nothing simply isn't in play with those people. They say racist poo poo and spam it all over a place, people get upset either at the message or the spam, therefore some sort of victory and "happening" was achieved according to shitposter logic. Rinse/repeat the next day over a new subject (victim) but same shitposting angle.

More than that what gets me is moderators just turning such a blind eye to it everywhere or actively enabling it. It's like we're back to the Wild Wild West days of the very early internet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

awesmoe posted:

have we done the shkreli jury selection transcripts in here yet? because lol
https://harpers.org/archive/2017/09/public-enemy/

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Deadulus posted:

This has gotten me interested in reading about the Civil War. Does anyone know some good Civil War history books?

If you want a shorter read, Drawn With the Sword by McPherson is a good collection of essays.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Shifty Nipples posted:

I think it was a diaper joke.

It was, yes.

Kale
May 14, 2010

coyo7e posted:

They also told him to resign so uhh

It's legal for him to do this as long as it's not the official Presidents account which needs to legally be an open public source of info right?

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Mahoning posted:

It's true that both men rebelled against the ruling government. That's probably why there's not monuments to Washington all over London, Manchester, and Liverpool.

There is a statue of Washington in the middle of Trafalgar Square! I don't say that to undermine your point, I just thought it was super weird when I saw it.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
The rats are deserting a sinking ship except the ship is made entirely out of tangled rats

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

You know, I bet whoever is President next is going to be really popular, because literally anyone would look good after Trump.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Yeah, and Bill Simmons talked to Tom Brady and determined that there's *no way* the Patriots have *ever* cheated.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Unkempt posted:

The rats are deserting a sinking ship except the ship is made entirely out of tangled rats

king rat has me on his list again
i can never be on the fence again

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Mahoning posted:

My favorite thing I discovered today is that Michael Buffer, yes THAT Michael Buffer, is a loud and passionate liberal.

https://twitter.com/michael_buffer/status/897365845290004480

This owns, I want him to narrate one of these fuckers getting ripped down live.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
So, clearly after celebrating Trump's white-power speech, Bannon drunk dialed a reporter....

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BiggerBoat posted:

My greatest concern right now is that it's only going to take one left wing radical type to freak out and open fire or or down the wrong building or something and the narrative will immediately shift back to the "both sides" crap. I think it's a distinct possibility that someone just fed up to here and really frustrated with all this recent poo poo could cross a serious line.

Obviously, I hope I am mistaken.

Don't kid yourself, it doesn't take any actual violence from the left for people to turn it into "Both sides are violent/the violent left is terrifying America and we must Protect Ourselves!". This story is as old as America.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
The way I see it, both sides were clearly fighting and killing each other. You have neo-nazis or white supremacists on one side and anti-fascists on the other, they're clearly aggressive towards each other and show the worst from both sides.

No side was in the right, all they did was attack each other brutally, there is no excuses for assault and violence.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Junior Jr. posted:

The way I see it, both sides were clearly fighting and killing each other. You have neo-nazis or white supremacists on one side and anti-fascists on the other, they're clearly aggressive towards each other and show the worst from both sides.

No side was in the right, all they did was attack each other brutally, there is no excuses for assault and violence.

Actually kicking the poo poo out of nazis is loving awesome but thanks for the hot take.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

TOOT BOOT posted:

You know, I bet whoever is President next is going to be really popular, because literally anyone would look good after Trump.

Americans have a terrifyingly short memory. if dems run the gov and enact meaningful legislation they could control the gov for a decade+

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Junior Jr. posted:

juror no. 144: I don’t think I can because he kind of looks like a dick.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

The Bannon thing makes zero sense. He's an insane white supremacist apocalypse dude but he's incredibly good at media. I'm not sure what the gently caress is going on there, but I know we don't have the whole story.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

TOOT BOOT posted:

Actually kicking the poo poo out of nazis is loving awesome but thanks for the hot take.

Yeah I wish Wolfenstein 2 came out already.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Practically like open rebellion. The fact that it's deep Republican territory too says a lot.

Kale fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

attackmole posted:

This owns, I want him to narrate one of these fuckers getting ripped down live.

I want him to record some of these hilarious tweets in his announcer voice. I mean, micro-penis loser? That's loving hilarious.

https://twitter.com/michael_buffer/status/897191635582201856

• Locked thread