Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Cant wait for shared universe with Red Rover and Ring Around the Roses

And Marco Polo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

K. Waste posted:

The thing that's most fascinating about how bad the vast majority of film criticism is, is that when a higher-end-of-mediocre movie catches them off guard, it's like it sparks the thankless process of tripping over yourself trying to explain why you liked something that really wasn't very good. You end up like the sad bastard who unwittingly reveals that he just brings up Bava because he's supposed to.

It's fitting that this is the second Annabelle movie drawing that kind of bashful breathlessness in its praise, because the last horror film I recall that happening to was the second Ouija

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Remember when they remade Ben-Hur? lol

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yaws posted:

Yeah. Heston knocked it out of the park.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yaws posted:

Did that movie even make a million dollars

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Did that movie even make a million dollars

If you adjust for inflation it;s the 14th biggest film of all time!
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah. Heston knocked it out of the park.

:hfive:

.... but the new remake which just came out last year only made $26 million domestic and was a horrible regrettable flop

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If you adjust for inflation it;s the 14th biggest film of all time!
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

:hfive:

.... but the new remake which just came out last year only made $26 million domestic and was a horrible regrettable flop
Worldwide it made less than its production budget :roflolmao:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Ben hur is bible fanfiction. But drat, that cut of the silent one with Stewart Copeland's orchestra was awesome

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yaws posted:

.... no?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

It came out last year

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2638144/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yes, let's replace Charlton Heston with a dude barely known for playing a murderous WWI vet with half a face.

Most discussion of that movie last year basically came down to "Who's playing Ben-Hur? ...who?"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yes, let's replace Charlton Heston with a dude barely known for playing a murderous WWI vet with half a face.

Most discussion of that movie last year basically came down to "Who's playing Ben-Hur? ...who?"

And directed by the guy who directed Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, the Linkin Park: Powerless music video and this Roger Corman sexplopitation swords-n-sandals cheapie starring Playboy models:

(But he also co-wrote & directed Nightwatch and Daywatch back when he was working in Russia which were pretty good ...)

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Longer Godzilla Anime trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16K-M2IzTWw

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

And directed by the guy who directed Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, the Linkin Park: Powerless music video and this Roger Corman sexplopitation swords-n-sandals cheapie starring Playboy models:

(But he also co-wrote & directed Nightwatch and Daywatch back when he was working in Russia which were pretty good ...)

Timur Bekmabemtov owns.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Timur Bekmabemtov owns.

Remember:
Vampire evil -> he throws a horse
Lincoln good -> he catches a horse

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

The MSJ posted:

Remember:
Vampire evil -> he throws a horse
Lincoln good -> he catches a horse

That movie is awesome :allears:
He helped make Hardcore Henry too iirc

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, infinite gratitude to him for that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
He was still a reeeeally weird choice to head up a $100 million straightlaced biblical epic.

Well, unless that Roger Corman sexplopitation gladiator movie he directed was way way way more epic and historically accurate than I've assumed.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

got any sevens posted:

He helped make Hardcore Henry too iirc

that fills in a good chunk of the blanks for me, as to why Hardcore Henry is a hundred times worse than Ilya Naishuller's music video work

i figured it was just that the conceit doesn't really hold up for 90 minutes whereas it's fuckin' awesome in 5, but honestly if that dude was involved, yeah, I get it

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Well, unless that Roger Corman sexplopitation gladiator movie he directed was way way way more epic and historically accurate than I've assumed.

I'd 100% rather watch that than a modern Ben-Hur remake. Taking-the-weird-parts-literally biblical epics like Noah should be the only ones allowed.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Chris Columbus just splashed water all over the Gremlins 3 rumor so it's multiplying all over the web again. Now in twisted and dark form:

quote:

Speaking with /Film about the festival hit Patti Cake$, which he produced, Columbus said his script asks a question which may have been on fans’ minds since the original: if all the gremlins come from getting Gizmo wet and feeding his mogwai offspring after midnight, should Gizmo be eliminated?

“Very good observation,” Columbus said. “That comes up in the movie, certainly.”

That raises a number of ethical issues. Gizmo himself has done nothing wrong. It’s human negligence that allows him to get soaked and lets the mischievous mogwai transform. Still, even Columbus thinks cute and loving Gizmo might not be worth the risk.

“I think it probably is a good idea to be honest with you,” Columbus said. “Too many people are dying.”

Columbus says his script returns to the macabre tone of the original film, whose monster murders were so intense that it, along with Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, pressured the MPAA to create the PG-13 rating. Gremlins 2 was rated PG-13

“I’m really proud of the script,” Columbus said. “It is as twisted and dark as anything, so we’ll see. It’s always a budgetary conversation when we’re going to shoot it. I wanted to go back to the really twisted sensibility of the first movie. I found that was a very easy place for me to fall back into and start writing again so hopefully we’ll see that movie soon.”

Gremlins fans are also worried that a new film would use CGI gremlins in place of the puppets. Columbus assured fans the film would still use puppets, but visual effects could make puppetry easier to achieve than it was in 1984.

“Oh, without a doubt, minimal CGI,” Columbus said. “CGI will enable us to remove wires and make the puppeteers lives a little easier. It was brutal. It was like a marathon every night for those guys. In the bar scene alone there were 18 [or] 20 people behind the bar. No one had any space to move. It was just hellish for those guys so CGI will simplify that a little bit but it’s all puppets.”

http://www.slashfilm.com/gremlins-3-has-been-written/

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
to be fair the first Gremlins is pretty loving dark and twisted for a kids' movie

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I always forget that Hardcore Henry exist despite the fact that I saw it in theaters.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Hardcore Henry is life.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

got any sevens posted:

Ben hur is bible fanfiction. But drat, that cut of the silent one with Stewart Copeland's orchestra was awesome

The chariot race and ship battle are both nuts for the time too, some people prefer the latter to the one in the Charlton Heston version.

The trick they used to create a cheering crowd in the same shot as the arena track during the race is really awesome. :3:

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

to be fair the first Gremlins is pretty loving dark and twisted for a kids' movie

The worst thing that ever happened to me was on Christmas... is the darkest thing in a movie that they knew tons of kids were going to see. The only thing barely comparable is the advertisements for Pan's Labyrinth tricked a lot of parents who didn't notice the R rating into showing a very brutal real world wraparound story to their kids before they got up and left. But most would have peaced out when the subtitles rolled so I still put Gremlins on the top of the list. That monologue is straight up mean.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Gaunab posted:

I always forget that Hardcore Henry exist despite the fact that I saw it in theaters.

What if Crank was boring and hated women, a question asked by noone and answered by Russia.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Guy Mann posted:

What if Crank was boring and hated women, a question asked by noone and answered by Russia.

What if Crank was Crank?????

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Crank literally has a comedic public rape scene.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Guy Mann posted:

Are you joking, haha.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

The thing that's most fascinating about how bad the vast majority of film criticism is, is that when a higher-end-of-mediocre movie catches them off guard, it's like it sparks the thankless process of tripping over yourself trying to explain why you liked something that really wasn't very good. You end up like the sad bastard who unwittingly reveals that he just brings up Bava because he's supposed to.

Roger Ebert had to be the Grand Poobah of being eloquent while writing positive notices for movies he knew weren't good even though he liked them.

99% of film crit is unreadable but music crit makes it look like pure genius

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1imqqFZlF8

Beyond Skyline still looks fun

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I'm still bummed the Brothers Strause aren't directing.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Yep, looks like a solid effort. But then again, so did Skyline. But I can't hate on it because it looked like a movie that was made with a lot of love and them wanting to put what they wanted to see on screen.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It has a chance without those hacks.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

Crank literally has a comedic public rape scene.

Which High Voltage then turns on its head by recreating the scenario, but removing all sexual agency from Chelios whatsoever and almost flipping the script. Crank is edgy as gently caress, but it knows what it's doing and is going for something with it.

Hardcore Henry, meanwhile, kind of strips the cleverness from it and just feels kind of brutal.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hardcore Henry is a gently caress you to video games basically, and a gently caress you to those who make those games where the woman is the prize. Like how many games, especially first person shooters have a hot chick be your girl, and you have to save her because she's your girl.

This movie says gently caress you and throws you out of a helicopter.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Hardcore Henry is a gently caress you to video games basically, and a gently caress you to those who make those games where the woman is the prize. Like how many games, especially first person shooters have a hot chick be your girl, and you have to save her because she's your girl.

This movie says gently caress you and throws you out of a helicopter.

The music video Naishuller did for Weeknd gets to that idea faster and more precise
but both of them strike me as more of a "bitches, maaaan" message than anything

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

why does hardcore henry focus so much on the drab slavic landscape of dying buildings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

why does hardcore henry focus so much on the drab slavic landscape of dying buildings

Because Russia, probably.

I mostly know Hardcore Henry because Payday 2 has the best character from it playable as a tie-in. And a pretty good heist where they reskin the cops as Russian mercenaries.

• Locked thread