Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

*Deletes Twitch Account*

Okay go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

DrNutt posted:

I missed it for the longest time because it looks just like the bolts except it says "quiver" so until I took a closer look I didn't even realize it was an attachment.

drat, I'm going to have to pay more attention now I guess. I'll probably play around with the crossbow more if I can find them frequently.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I've been considering playing on a non-US server and using the crossbow every time I run into one. It's actually surprisingly effective when you're doing stealth strategies, since people tend to hold still behind cover when they don't think anyone could be behind them. I think I'll probably try to get 2000 rank before that though so I can pretend I'm going to ESL

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Tweak posted:

I don't understand at all how people are supposed to be able to eyeball distances like that in game, my process goes something like:
"oh poo poo a person is out there! That looks.... i'd estimate... sorta far? Guess I'll try... this line?"
<miss>
"hm nope and now they know I'm shoot at them. Maybe this line instead plus a little bit of leading this time..."
<miss>
"nope but I saw the kick up of dust from the bullet! now just to adjust..."
<miss>
"nope and they're behind a tree. I'll watch just for a se.."
<killed by return fire>

Go into discord and type

!4x
!8x
!15x

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

puberty worked me over posted:

My honest suggestion for people with poop reaction times and/or aim is to drop in unpopulated spots, find a scope, and learn how to lead shots and pay attention to the tick marks on the scopes.

That's honestly going to be much easier to memorize than to magically make your body get better at clicking on mans.

or do what I do and intentionally lower your matchmaking rating by continually landing in pochinki so you only face players as bad as yourself:

Oh and I've played over 400 matches last season:

I'm still not any better than I was when I first installed the game because it's literally athleticism that determines if you win in a shooter. It's more fun to kill a whole squad of pubs in the first 5 minutes than spend 30 minutes hiding to die in the last 1 minute to someone who was already going to beat you.

I think this screenshot really highlights the fact that the rating formula weighs heavily on volume. Compare that with this https://pubg.me/player/Enigma89/squad and see how much lower the rating is.

Not calling you out specifically, but it is interesting to see that rating really favors volume of games. The more you play, the higher your rating will be regardless if your stats are really that decent or not.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
well yeah you gotta earn the elo by beating people

you dont go to the world series beating your local club

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Enigma89 posted:

I think this screenshot really highlights the fact that the rating formula weighs heavily on volume. Compare that with this https://pubg.me/player/Enigma89/squad and see how much lower the rating is.

Not calling you out specifically, but it is interesting to see that rating really favors volume of games. The more you play, the higher your rating will be regardless if your stats are really that decent or not.

Is this a serious post? Of course you need volume to climb. Even if you're winning every single game, which is a statistical miracle, you still need like 30 games to get to a decent rating. You don't just climb by volume though, you climb towards your true rank by volume. If someone with 25 games played wins a lot more than someone with 400 games played, but is ranked lower, it's because the former hasn't played enough games yet to climb to his true rank, whereas the latter probably has.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
speaking of ratings, all fpp modes are just people stomping on noobs forever i guess since there's no stat tracking so no matchmaking either

kind of explains why streamers are breaking all sort of kill records, and how shroud went on like a 9 win streak the other day

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well, I guess volume explains why my rating is where it is despite no wins in the current season. Not sure what kind of algorithm determines that stuff but apparently 0-3 kills per game means that you are still better than hundreds of thousands of other people.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Zo posted:

speaking of ratings, all fpp modes are just people stomping on noobs forever i guess since there's no stat tracking so no matchmaking either

kind of explains why streamers are breaking all sort of kill records, and how shroud went on like a 9 win streak the other day

Yeah, it's weird how matchmaking and stat tracking for FPP wasn't just a thing from the beginning. I wouldn't have thought switching perspectives would have any effect on that stuff, but what the gently caress do I know?

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Yeah, it's weird how matchmaking and stat tracking for FPP wasn't just a thing from the beginning. I wouldn't have thought switching perspectives would have any effect on that stuff, but what the gently caress do I know?

I think it more about how they don't want people to care till they get it to a state they like. If it had stats and matchmaking people would try hard and really get pissed at the bugs.

Having played both for a little while, FPP really feels like how they game should be played.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

The Mash posted:

Is this a serious post? Of course you need volume to climb. Even if you're winning every single game, which is a statistical miracle, you still need like 30 games to get to a decent rating. You don't just climb by volume though, you climb towards your true rank by volume. If someone with 25 games played wins a lot more than someone with 400 games played, but is ranked lower, it's because the former hasn't played enough games yet to climb to his true rank, whereas the latter probably has.

Yes it was a serious post. There are ways to come up with formulas that can help stabilize ratings between people with 500 games vs people who have 50 games. On a side note, they look like they want this game to be an esport but I have no idea how the hell are they going to do. WWIIOL had a formula for the top fighters that would crush people who had a ton of games but a poo poo load of deaths, you could have 1/5th as many sorties as someone and still score over them if you had cleaner stats.

How the hell do you score it and declare a winner? 100 people play 5 rounds? Do you get points if you get a certain placement? What if you have someone that won 1 game and is the first person to die the last 4 games and you have someone else who never got chicken dinner but placed in top 5 every game?

1500 posted:

I think it more about how they don't want people to care till they get it to a state they like. If it had stats and matchmaking people would try hard and really get pissed at the bugs.

Having played both for a little while, FPP really feels like how they game should be played.

:agreed:

I did notice myself get super nauseous two days ago playing FPP. First time in any game where it happened. I thought I was going to vomit as soon as I stood up. Must be the head bob?

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

rarbatrol posted:

I'm recognizing some PS2 names here. Mustarde plays battlegrounds now?

Mustard Plant isn't Mustarde, that's a completely different dude

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I hated fpp at first but now it's the only mode I play. Camera tricks in 3pp just feel dumb and wrong now.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I hated fpp at first but now it's the only mode I play. Camera tricks in 3pp just feel dumb and wrong now.

Knocking someone really changes a fight now. Being able to revive and check over a rock to see if people were coming was really dumb.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
I'd be really interested to see the user stats on FPP vs TPP both when FPP first came out and now. I'm sure there would be a huge spike in people trying FPP when it first launched but right now it would be neat to see the user base break down between the two game modes.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

KingKapalone posted:

This was said a couple pages back: if you want a stream then just watch chocotaco's. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/167031692 it is decent for learning how to play, as he discusses strategy while he's playing and can illustrate what someone really good with the weapons looks like.

ChocoTaco is super chill but everytime I watch he's playing third person solo's, that can get boring as hell. I like watching high level FPP game play, and especially duos and squads.

I'd recommend Summit1G, DrDisRespectLIVE, BreaK and Sacriel (Kind of like ChocoTaco with the learning thing, but a little more action I think and British af) as well as ChocoTaco. Honestly, I love Dr because it's entertaining as gently caress, and I like Summit because he's good as gently caress and kind of the opposite personality of Doc.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

TPP is casual and for lame campers, FPP is the only way to play.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Enigma89 posted:

Yes it was a serious post. There are ways to come up with formulas that can help stabilize ratings between people with 500 games vs people who have 50 games. On a side note, they look like they want this game to be an esport but I have no idea how the hell are they going to do. WWIIOL had a formula for the top fighters that would crush people who had a ton of games but a poo poo load of deaths, you could have 1/5th as many sorties as someone and still score over them if you had cleaner stats.

How the hell do you score it and declare a winner? 100 people play 5 rounds? Do you get points if you get a certain placement? What if you have someone that won 1 game and is the first person to die the last 4 games and you have someone else who never got chicken dinner but placed in top 5 every game?

I did notice myself get super nauseous two days ago playing FPP. First time in any game where it happened. I thought I was going to vomit as soon as I stood up. Must be the head bob?

While it is a lot of fun to watch, not sure if this game works as an esport. Of the modes, squad has the best chance. It is a little bit less random (less chances of just getting blown away in the first few min, I have seem even some of the best players go on major loss streaks). It is also

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

DrNutt posted:

Well, I guess volume explains why my rating is where it is despite no wins in the current season. Not sure what kind of algorithm determines that stuff but apparently 0-3 kills per game means that you are still better than hundreds of thousands of other people.

If you think about it, if you are averaging more than a kill per game then someones gotta be averaging less than a kill a game to balance that out.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I pretty much jump school or military base every game and somehow I have a 4.5 KDR for solo and 4.1 KDR for squads according to https://pubg.me/player/stealthgerbil I think all of the games where I die instantly at the school balance out the games where I get 10+

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Enigma89 posted:

For any sort of e-sport to be successful they would need to change how people advance in tournaments. I would personally base it more on BP earned in the current game than where you place at the end of the game. That way kills and damage actually have significant weight and people are encouraged to fight in order to advance.

So the top, idk, 10-20 in BP would advance regardless of rank (a lot of them would likely be in the top 10-20 anyways, ranking points get pretty big the higher you get).

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

everybody throwing in $50 winner take all would be pretty interesting

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Just have a 10,000 person two-round tournament. Winner's bracket and loser's bracket champions have to play tennis or chess or something.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Efexeye posted:

This would definitely make a great betting game.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Efexeye posted:

It would be really cool if a cash system was introduced where you could "buy in" to the game with 5$ and then whoever won got to keep the money from the game. The creators of the game could also keep like 10% so that they're still profiting from it. It would be a great way to raise the stakes of a game and put some more money in their pockets.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
My friends and I have a custom server where we got a big group together who generally know each other and threw in 5$ each

It was REALLY fun. Too bad it'll never be legal

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Confer posted:

It would be really cool if a cash system was introduced where you could "buy in" to the game with 5$ and then whoever won got to keep the money from the game. The creators of the game could also keep like 10% so that they're still profiting from it. It would be a great way to raise the stakes of a game and put some more money in their pockets.

This is basically guaranteed not to happen because of gambling laws, but they could probably introduce a similar system with a BP buy-in.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

quiggy posted:

This is basically guaranteed not to happen because of gambling laws, but they could probably introduce a similar system with a BP buy-in.

I was just thinking that when I posted. Even if they did introduce a BP buy-in I'd still love to do it. Hearthstone has a thing where you can use points to buy into a 'arena' type thing, and that's a lot of fun. I'd imagine it would have a pretty good reception overall if it was introduced.

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(
How the hell do you crouch jump out of windows?
I've seen people do it on the second floor of the barn for example but I just can't. I've no trouble crouch jumping fences or over barrels and other stuff but those drat windows are driving me crazy.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

HolaMundo posted:

How the hell do you crouch jump out of windows?
I've seen people do it on the second floor of the barn for example but I just can't. I've no trouble crouch jumping fences or over barrels and other stuff but those drat windows are driving me crazy.

Either practice or bind the crouch and jump keys so you can hit them with the same finger. I used to use V but im used to having crouch on my mouse.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

:coolfish:
Pretty proud of this win for two reasons
1) I got 4 kills in Top 7 (One dude got another, and lightning actually killed that guy)
2) I AFK'd on the school rooftop to get ready for work for a few minutes and came back unharmed.

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(

Dyz posted:

Either practice or bind the crouch and jump keys so you can hit them with the same finger. I used to use V but im used to having crouch on my mouse.

I try it all the time but no luck with windows and as I said I crouch jump over other stuff without problems. I guess I'l just keep trying then.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

wasn't there a game a while back where you bought bullets with irl currency, and when you hit people you took money from their account

oh right Kwari

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Jumping in this game is really weird. Sometimes I'll try a running jump over a fence and completely miss. But the fence is so low that it seems like you should just be able to step over it. So then in order to jump over the fence you just missed you need to back up and take another running jump. It's like your hands don't exist in this game.

Jumping feels really awkward and most of the time I just go around obstacles instead of trying to jump over them.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Jumping in this game is really weird. Sometimes I'll try a running jump over a fence and completely miss. But the fence is so low that it seems like you should just be able to step over it. So then in order to jump over the fence you just missed you need to back up and take another running jump. It's like your hands don't exist in this game.

Jumping feels really awkward and most of the time I just go around obstacles instead of trying to jump over them.

mantling will be in soon, i think

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Studio posted:

1) I got 4 kills in Top 7 (One dude got another, and lightning actually killed that guy)

I guess you're talking about the blue? Because there's no way that this game is cool enough to have the random lightning in rain matches actually function, right?

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I would say that jumping and most of the physics just seem rather awkward. I don't know if that is because the game is in development, or that the developers don't have experience with this type of game play. I haven't experienced such strange physics in many years.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

DrNutt posted:

I guess you're talking about the blue? Because there's no way that this game is cool enough to have the random lightning in rain matches actually function, right?
You could also turn the Red Zone into Lightning but that would be buffing it.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Efexeye posted:

mantling will be in soon, i think

It needs to hurry up. It's going to have a HUGE impact on how combat works. I think it'll feel more fluid.

DrNutt posted:

He has to be talking about the blue coming in. It's described as an electric field. I've never once seen lightning actually hit a spot anywhere in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

DrNutt posted:

Yeah. I've heard it called Lightning, Blue, Gas, Wall, and I think once Green.

• Locked thread