Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Sure is a mystery, huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kurtofan posted:

well truck me, i just watched the episode
How do you like living in the cuntry?

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

...! posted:

It'll be hilarious if it turns out that green glove guy was bullshitting James and just really likes wearing one glove. And was told to wear it in the first place by an actual fireman who already stole the other glove from the store. And we never see green glove guy again.

Well I mean he was turning walnuts into powder. Kind of hard to fake that.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Baloogan posted:

Sure is a mystery, huh
Her delivery of that line is so perfect.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Polo-Rican posted:

"im not owned! im not owned!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a door knob

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

LegoMan posted:

death grip

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

LegoMan posted:

It's his jerkin' hand, clearly.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Goddamn I wish more people were as good as Lynch at making the supernatural seem proper flippin' alien

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

it's only falling in love because you hit the ground

Knorth posted:

Goddamn I wish more people were as good as Lynch at making the supernatural seem proper flippin' alien

I totally agree with this. I keep thinking about how the Fireman scene in Ep 8 could be as straightforward as the classic conspiracy theory thing of aliens taking notice of us when we discovered the atom bomb. But the way it is portrayed feels alien rather than being just literally aliens.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I'm sure this has been asked and answered but I'm terrible at remembering things so here I go. What is the best, most complete version of the original series, pilots and FWWM including the extras? I had the original series on VHS years ago but wore out the tapes (literally a couple of them broke), then had the series on DVD but am no longer in possession of those.

Thanks for any help folks.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Knorth posted:

This was a big issue I had with seasons 2 and 3 of The Leftovers recently, even though I did like that show. Stuff that should feel disorienting and bizarre and strange and alien instead felt kind of mundane and explicit.

You go from something like that to episode 8 of this season of Twin Peaks and its a whole world of different.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 17, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Flyinglemur posted:

I'm sure this has been asked and answered but I'm terrible at remembering things so here I go. What is the best, most complete version of the original series, pilots and FWWM including the extras? I had the original series on VHS years ago but wore out the tapes (literally a couple of them broke), then had the series on DVD but am no longer in possession of those.

Thanks for any help folks.

The Complete Mystery blu-ray boxset. Not sure if it's in print in America anymore, but the version in the UK is region-free, so maybe look on Amazon UK.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Escobarbarian posted:

The Complete Mystery blu-ray boxset. Not sure if it's in print in America anymore, but the version in the UK is region-free, so maybe look on Amazon UK.

Thanks. Seems to be readily available on both Amazon and eBay.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

You know, I actually feel like the existence of Frank Truman has to be addressed at some point... perhaps a bit more properly? It has never sat well with me since the beginning, and that's just increased as the "doppleganger" theme has only gotten more and more important to the show.

Is *Frank* some sort of a doppleganger? I know that sounds... kinda silly. But so does Sheriff Truman suddenly having a brother who is approximately the same age as him, has the exact same profession as him, and is able to more or less fill the exact same role as him both as sheriff and in things like the trip to Jack Rabbit's Palace. I recall Major Briggs' wife saying "I don't think he thought it would be THIS Sheriff Truman")

Also, there's that very strange scene in episode 1 or 2 when the salesman comes by the station and we see Lucy for the first time. He asks to speak to Sheriff Truman, and Lucy keeps pressing him about "Which one?" and repeating that "it could be important...!" in a sort of expectant manner. It just always felt... Off, and odd.

Basically, I am just a bit broken between whether this is Lynch just being quirky and weird about having to "recast" in this cast, except it's more like retconning since Harry Truman is still Michael Ontkean as far as we're concerned. Or is this Lynch purposely trying to make a point about other kinds of "dopplegangers", or something? Or both? Is it possible that Frank somehow could have been 'manufactured to serve a purpose' at this time by someone... good? The Fireman maybe, or someone else? We know the Fireman has the ability to practically will humans into existence (Laura Palmer) and that the Purple Ocean does not seem to be tethered to time in any linear fashion, judging especially by the manner in which Naido showed up.

But anyway, yeah... Frank Truman's very existence has never sat well with me, to be honest, much as I utterly adore Robert Forster. And I really do, I even just watched Jackie Brown again and was reminded of how incredibly handsome and amazing and... frankly, seductive he can be as an actor. That is such an amazing film with so many amazing roles.

Yeah, on a side-note I really want to seriously recommend Jackie Brown to anyone here who likes Forster in this and hasn't seen it. It's actually a masterpiece of a film and by *far* the best one Quentin Tarantino has ever made and likely ever WILL make.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Frank is Harry's older brother.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Harry didint wanted to come back to Twin Peaks and David Lynch dont like to recast, so Frank was born. I think that's all

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Harry didint wanted to come back to Twin Peaks and David Lynch dont like to recast, so Frank was born. I think that's all

Except Michael ontkean was eager to come back and even hunted down a replica of the jacket he wore on the show.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
maybe he changed his mind, or something happened.

maybe he really is sick

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Basticle posted:

Except Michael ontkean was eager to come back and even hunted down a replica of the jacket he wore on the show.

yeah, but didnt he later backed out with no explanation? That's what I read somewhere

edit: "So, I have a few things to say about the news of Michael Ontkean not returning to Twin Peaks: I spoke with Michael a handful of times this year on the phone. He was really excited to return as Truman, and even spent hundreds of hours in search of his old jacket, and finally reached out to me to help find it. We found a suitable replica. I bought it and sent it to him. We last spoke in August and he informed me he wasn’t going to Washington after all. I told him I was heartbroken to hear that.

Aside from being heartbroken, I am puzzled. Twin Peaks is not Twin Peaks without Michael Ontkean as Sheriff Harry S. Truman."

from here http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/michael-ontkean-not-new-twin-peaks/

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Frank was established as the Sheriff of Twin Peaks before Harry in at least the Secret History, and I seem to recall mention of him as the former Sheriff in the actual show

and Forster was the first choice to play Harry in the original seasons, but he was already booked for the pilot of a show that didn't end up happening at the time, so Ontkean got the job

lynch probably just wanted the Sheriff Truman he'd always intended

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Breadallelogram posted:

Frank is Harry's older brother.
lol

maybe he's a like a weird semi-doppleganger. like some kind of person who's very related but different... but they share the same origin/parent but are separate.... there's a word for this...

broppleganger

Zmej fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 17, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Zmej posted:

lol

maybe he's a like a weird semi-doppleganger. like some kind of person who's very related but different... but they share the same originp/parent but are separate.... there's a word for this...

broppleganger

The show is definitely playing with the notion that there is a similar potential for confusion, though. (Lord knows why kaworu always makes these things sound so outlandish.)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think it's just that Frank is a "doppleganger" for Harry thematically and not literally in the plot.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
nah obviously he was created by the fireman and his son's suicide and lovely wife is a black lodge attempt to damage his goodness like jobsworth to freddie

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I forgot about his wife lol. I kinda want her to come back and be more chill and apologize to Truman. Then he forgives her and they have a moment and there's some kind feelgood message about it all :unsmith:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

No, I know there are perfectly reasonable explanations for Frank's existence, it just feels notable that in season 3 when we find out that "Blue Rose" cases were initially created as a result of a doppleganger case, and with the entire concept of dopplegangers becoming more and more important and prevalent (and it was still drat prevalent in the first two seasons with Maddie being inexplicably there). And it's not that Frank is a doppleganger, obviously, it just feels like he functions exactly as Harry would, more or less, and fills the same role in the show that Harry would, and seems to have the same relationships (more or less) with everyone that Harry did. And that is all just... kinda weird.

But I mean, I'm still saying it's totally likely that it was just something Lynch had to do to keep it all together, and he's sort of doing his own weird version of lampshade hanging. And it does sort of work but also it's odd and I feel like he's called attention to that oddness more than once. But again who the hell knows I guess we'll find out.

Escobarbarian posted:

nah obviously he was created by the fireman and his son's suicide and lovely wife is a black lodge attempt to damage his goodness like jobsworth to freddie

Well, Dougie had a wife and son...

kaworu fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 17, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Think Sonny Jim is really Dougie's kid or one from a previous marriage?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I could see it being dougie's kid. I'm not a good judge of kid ages, but does he seem older than 6 or 7?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
All we know is that it was his birthday when Dougie disappeared and was replaced by Cooper (well, the previous day, but still). As for how old he is, I don't think they mentioned.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I wonder why Diane hates Janey-e

I grow more suspicious of Diane every episode

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

esperterra posted:

It's 'is wankin' 'and, innit.
Fixed for accuracy.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Zmej posted:

I forgot about his wife lol. I kinda want her to come back and be more chill and apologize to Truman. Then he forgives her and they have a moment and there's some kind feelgood message about it all :unsmith:
Get Dougie Jones on the case!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

"without my son I'll never be happy again"

"be happy again..."

"my God you're right, Dougie. You saved my life!"

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Frank is more along the lines of Maddie. A weird convenient doppelganger but probably not a weird lodge creation.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I was just thinking about all the various threads going on, and I almost forgot about Linda. I wonder who exactly she is (all we know is she lives with the guy at the trailer park who hitched a ride with Carl) and how she'll fit into the last 4 hours.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cromulent posted:

I was just thinking about all the various threads going on, and I almost forgot about Linda. I wonder who exactly she is (all we know is she lives with the guy at the trailer park who hitched a ride with Carl) and how she'll fit into the last 4 hours.

Linda McMahon

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

crowoutofcontext posted:

Also this might be a question for NMD but anyone know any more sample-heavy/soundscape composition poo poo like this? I know its a shtick to sample certain classical/nostalgic piano lines into electro-acoustic stuff but I was wondering if there is a whole world of 2010's composers who remake stuff like the Tchaikovsky "remix" in the backyard scene?
You might dig on The Caretaker, though that concentrates on big band material and takes its atmospheric cues from The Shining: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL998ajnjN4

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

hawowanlawow posted:

"without my son I'll never be happy again"

"be happy again..."

"my God you're right, Dougie. You saved my life!"

There's that Preacher crossover I was looking for

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

hawowanlawow posted:

I wonder why Diane hates Janey-e

I grow more suspicious of Diane every episode

Probably because Janey is happy and content and Diane is a miserable sack of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Probably because Janey is happy and content and Diane is a miserable sack of poo poo.

Janey-E seemed to be quite a miserable sack of poo poo too, before Dougie Cooper got them rich (and she realizes he is hot)