Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Goldman Sachs Presents the Chambers St Metro Station Feat. Starbucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
If only there were some way to make all the corporations pay a little bit into the subway system whether they wanted to or not

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

In addition to what has been said here, it also makes the subway less convenient. Deducing where the 86th Street Station on the Lexington line is allows someone who is on the UES for some reason to easilly get to the subway station that is close by. Good luck remembering where the pantsonhead.com station off the Coca-Cola section of the American Airlines line is.

I mean, sure, if that was being proposed.

But what is actually on the table is literally just Adopt-A-Highway for the subways, with a dash of exclusive advertising rights on specific stations.

The financial projections are dumb and absurd, but from a principle standpoint, I just don't really care?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'd rather have congestion pricing like cuomo is proposing than adopt-a-station which he's also proposing

there's already a sponsored subway stop btw, it's Atlantic Ave.-Barclays Center

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
drat, is that an actual sponsorship? I always thought of it like I do "Mets-Willets Point" or "161 - Yankee Stadium."

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

GalacticAcid posted:

drat, is that an actual sponsorship? I always thought of it like I do "Mets-Willets Point" or "161 - Yankee Stadium."

There's a reason the stop isn't "Citi Field."

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

deblasio says turnstyle jumpers always have money on them so they ought to be punished

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

deblasio says turnstyle jumpers always have money on them so they ought to be punished

Goddamn the police really did threaten a coup of her didn't start backing their every idea

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

and furthermore, someone really needs to do something about these windows

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

KomradeX posted:

Goddamn the police really did threaten a coup of her didn't start backing their every idea
those bridge-and-tunnel shitsuckers can't even vote for him since they live in cushy suburban landscapes in long island and westchester. we should start moving out there and taking over their awful governments and see how they like that

is o'neill even in charge of the NYPD or is it that close-to-a-literal mafia don Lynch? actually don't answer that question, i know the answer

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Turnstile jumpers should be punished though. why should they just get away with not paying the fare?

edit: oh they're just getting a fine in Manhattan now and not being arrested; jumpers aren't getting away with poo poo they're paying fines. that makes sense. never mind.

Ogmius815 has issued a correction as of 23:14 on Aug 13, 2017

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Ogmius815 posted:

Turnstile jumpers should be punished though. why should they just get away with not paying the fare?

edit: oh they're just getting a fine in Manhattan now and not being arrested; jumpers aren't getting away with poo poo they're paying fines. that makes sense. never mind.

Counterpoint: Why should anyone pay the fare when practically none of it seems to feed back into mta?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Galaxy brain: public transit should be free at the point of consumption, and funded by progressive income tax.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GalacticAcid posted:

Galaxy brain: public transit should be free at the point of consumption, and funded by progressive income tax.

I figure that was more of a "normal brain" take.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
True

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

galaxy brain is killing the bourgeoisie and using their blood to fuel the trains

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Rated PG-34 posted:

galaxy brain is killing the bourgeoisie and using their blood to fuel the trains

I would like to see the design of this train.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zakharov posted:

I would like to see the design of this train.

someone post the Stalin gulag train cartoon

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the three (completely speculative) list of candidates to challenge Cuomo in the primary went to four, with Jumaane Williams rumored to give it a go. he's the most ideal of all of them but given his personal beliefs about marriage equality and abortion, i highly doubt he'll get support

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

ty for this I needed it today

quote:

“Home Depot™ Presents the Police!®” I said, flashing my badge and my gun and a small picture of Ron Paul. “Nobody move unless you want to!”

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
So how about these upcoming primaries.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

we're hosed as usual.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

So how about these upcoming primaries.
i have no idea about that one-term state senator who's rumored to be interested in challenging cuomo, so i won't rank him, but in order of my preference (and reverse order of who will actually do it), i'd say:

1. Jumaane Williams
2. Cynthia Nixon
3. Stephanie Miner

nixon will try and be de blasio's proxy but i'm not sure if she'll do a good job of extending cuomo's neglect to all of the state. williams owns but he'll get no support from most democrats due to his personal views on marriage and abortion. i don't know much about miner, but seeing as she once supported cuomo and had a falling out, i think this is more of an ego thing for her

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Carl Paladino was removed from the Buffalo School Board today:

http://www.wgrz.com/news/education/paladino-removed-from-buffalo-school-board/465076747

:byewhore:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Was anybody else at the Albany Democratic mayoral debate today?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

are there any other posters here who live in albany? all i know is that NYC's homeless K-through-12 student population is greater than the entire population of that fair city
if you continually make racist comments against a sizable amount of the students that you've been appointed to serve, you don't deserve to influence their education or anything else. get hosed carl

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/GannettAlbany/status/898505534189457408

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
So was there any response to the white nationalists marching around Lower Manhattan or is this whole city as useless as the Dems?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Who would have expected New Yorkers to ignore a bunch of loud assholes

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MizPiz posted:

So was there any response to the white nationalists marching around Lower Manhattan or is this whole city as useless as the Dems?

poo poo, I had no idea that was going on.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Taintrunner posted:

poo poo, I had no idea that was going on.

They were walking near Seward Park when I saw them. Wouldn't be surprised if they had close to 100 people with them.

Also had some oval office in a MAGA hat come in. We just ignored her until she left

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pretty sure all eyes were on Boston today and that's how those guys were able to stealth their way into the city.

Tell Antifa next time, if anyone is gonna do something about it, it's them.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Pretty sure all eyes were on Boston today and that's how those guys were able to stealth their way into the city.

Tell Antifa next time, if anyone is gonna do something about it, it's them.

You can't say they "stealthed their way into the city" given that they were easily twice the size of the Boston rally and screaming far-right chants in one of the busiest parts of the most densely populated city in the country. The only people who seemed to actually be upset about it were my coworkers and an old Chinese guy who was working nearby. I get that New Yorkers are supposed to be the masters of ignoring everything, but when it comes to something like this, it's loving disgusting.

I'm seriously melting down over this.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
What part of Lower Manhattan?

I haven't seen a thing about this on any of the DSA fb groups or anything. Is it still going on? Is it proudboy poo poo?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

GalacticAcid posted:

What part of Lower Manhattan?

I haven't seen a thing about this on any of the DSA fb groups or anything. Is it still going on? Is it proudboy poo poo?

Around Chinatown. There marching down Essex/into Rutgers heading towards East River. Also, I didn't see any police with them, so there were either so few that it didn't matter or none at all. :thunk:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
What I meant was that those groups' MO is to usually announce they're coming in advance for the attention and to generate reactions. Either they didn't do that or the people who monitor for these marches didn't catch it because their attention was elsewhere. Do you think was a spontaneous march or did these guys look well-organized?

Stay safe and take care of yourself.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

isnt that the area with confederate flag window guy? maybe they were on the LES to support his right to harass housing project residents

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

What I meant was that those groups' MO is to usually announce they're coming in advance for the attention and to generate reactions. Either they didn't do that or the people who monitor for these marches didn't catch it because their attention was elsewhere. Do you think was a spontaneous march or did these guys look well-organized?

Stay safe and take care of yourself.

Most of them were shirtless and wearing olive drab shirts. Quite a few of them were also carrying flags. I wouldn't say they were well-organized, but it definitely didn't seem spontaneous.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

I know there are a bunch of anti-fascist protests going on today, including one at the location the Nazi match was initially supposed to be happening. Anyone here at one, able to spread the word and attempt a relocation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

MizPiz posted:

everyone is too busy eating sheet cake.