Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I'm starting on T10ish maps with a Wild Strike zerker and having a few issues. This is my first time doing end game content with a melee class and I'm not sure what to do on bosses when facetanking isn't cutting it.

I probably just need to gear a bit better but I'm in that spot where changing any piece likely means changing a bunch to get the resistances to work out.

I'm tempted to go back to my ED MOM trickster but the clear speeds were terrible.

Some combo of flasks, fortify and life leech. As a zerker you should be leeching to full the instant after you get hit by a big attack, that's their thing. If you haven't done uber lab yet then that should probably be your next step. Depending on the boss some attacks you are expected to just dodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Generally there are going to be a lot of abilities you just need to dodge, but obviously better defences and higher dps is going to help with that. Fast movement abilities (whirling blades/leap slam linked with faster attacks and probably fortify) are almost required, but I'd expect you probably have one of those in your build already.

Myself I find it's largely a matter of getting used to the bosses and things which originally seemed hard become easy. Some builds will always have trouble with some bosses/mods of course.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Have there been any really good storm burst builds made? That skill looks awesome

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Jazerus posted:

the +2 fire gems is the only relevant modifier, so bad. attack speed doesn't apply to casting srs, only cast speed.

J posted:

While it sucks that you didn't happen to get any mods besides the +2 fire that actually do anything, it does have open suffix slots to have blood magic crafted on it. You could craft blood magic on it and just use that staff till way later when you have money to make a +3 staff, or you could try for a better staff by buying some more essences and rolling the dice again. Up to you. By far the most important things to have are +2 fire and blood magic. Right now I'm using a +3 staff that has 3 lines on it - +1 gems, +2 fire, and blood magic. Spending 2ex to multimod cast speed and strength is something I'll do eventually but I have more cost effective upgrades to buy first, so I don't really miss the other mods on the staff.

So guess I am going to spend another 3c and re-roll the staff. I guess I need to be looking for life/str/cast speed/res right?

Thanks!

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
Please send a guild invite to CreepyGreenLight

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

If I want to 2H melee something, but don't want to take Vaal Pact, do I want to be a Slayer or can I still reasonably be a Berserker? We talked about this in discord for a while last night but I was sleepy and lost a lot of the detail.

I gathered Berserker still outdamages Slayer as a rule, even accounting for the super-culling Slayer gets?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

Have there been any really good storm burst builds made? That skill looks awesome

The skill kinda flounders past yellow maps because its single target is surprisingly lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUXHumnvKLk

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Bob NewSCART posted:

No because that skill sucks

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Tulip posted:

So I was using poe price to check my stash, and I got some results that seemed...weird. Either prices too high or that returned 0 results. Would goons mind taking a look?

I'm afraid none of these are worth anything. Getting a really good handle on what is worth selling is hard because you have to keep up with an ever-changing meta and dozens of end-game builds but there are a few rules of thumb:

- Low-level gear is mostly worthless except maybe one or two uniques
- Tri-res + life is good
- Consistency is good. If you get a weapon that's got 100%+ physical damage, +some decent amount of flat physical damage and + attack speed, that's a lot of dps and it might be worth something. Or +level to fire gems, % spell damage and casting speed, say. (This applies to the tri-res example above, since tri-res + life gives a big slug of defensive power)
- Some mods can only appear on certain slots and they can be valuable. Decent boots with +movespeed are going to be worth a lot more than the same pair without that mod since you can't really get movespeed anywhere else.
- Rings and ammies can roll loads of unrelated mods so they're kinda hard to price
- You can sell stuff other than gear. Drop-only gems like Empower, some divination cards, some prophecies etc can all sell for decent cash.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 17, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So I'm stuck on a jungle map. I died during the boss fight, and now whenever I re-enter the boss room, the minions insta-gib me.

Do I reset the map or what? This feels pretty stupid...

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
A good long term moneymaker is to level a set of six gems in your offgear, then Vaal them. You have to do gems that don't give a poo poo about quality, so auras are a prime candidate. Your first set of gems should get to 20/0 around 91-92 usually.

Last league I leveled purities of fire. A set of six will usually yield 1-2 level 21s, which I would then sell for 3.5ex (~350c at the time).

Leveling empowers or enlightens is also a good idea, assuming that you have the patience.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

enraged_camel posted:

So I'm stuck on a jungle map. I died during the boss fight, and now whenever I re-enter the boss room, the minions insta-gib me.

Do I reset the map or what? This feels pretty stupid...
Decoy Totem is love, Decoy Totem is life. Though if the minions are actually insta-gibbing you then you're either under-geared for the map or it's rolled some seriously nasty mods.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Vasudus posted:

A good long term moneymaker is to level a set of six gems in your offgear, then Vaal them. You have to do gems that don't give a poo poo about quality, so auras are a prime candidate. Your first set of gems should get to 20/0 around 91-92 usually.

Last league I leveled purities of fire. A set of six will usually yield 1-2 level 21s, which I would then sell for 3.5ex (~350c at the time).

Leveling empowers or enlightens is also a good idea, assuming that you have the patience.
Yeah, right now my weapon switch is a 6S staff full of dark pacts. I've already leveled them to 20 once for the 20% recipe. Once they hit 20 again they'll get vaaled, hoping for a 21 dark pact. Would like one for my own build. After that is going to be all profit gems.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Zephro posted:

Decoy Totem is love, Decoy Totem is life. Though if the minions are actually insta-gibbing you then you're either under-geared for the map or it's rolled some seriously nasty mods.

There are like 15 spiders right on top of the boss room entrance point. They attack at once the moment I enter and then I die.

I'm level 69 and have only 3k hp and 800 ES, so maybe that's the issue.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Or your problem is that your resists suck or you have such little damage that you can't kill the trash fast enough

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

enraged_camel posted:

There are like 15 spiders right on top of the boss room entrance point. They attack at once the moment I enter and then I die.

rip your map

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

My resists are maxed. But the mobs are trash mobs so they deal physical anyway.

I cleared the rest of the map without any issues, so I doubt my damage is the issue. Besides, even if I had 100k dps, it still wouldn't matter since I die instantly the moment I enter the room.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Assuming I have enough currency for any reasonable leveling gear, what is the absolute fastest build to level to maps?

I was thinking ground slam/vaal ground slam, since once you can one shot a pack you can often get the vaal to recharge itself on use. W/ movement speed flasks and faster attack leap slam for movement.

Any thoughts?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

enraged_camel posted:

My resists are maxed. But the mobs are trash mobs so they deal physical anyway.

I cleared the rest of the map without any issues, so I doubt my damage is the issue. Besides, even if I had 100k dps, it still wouldn't matter since I die instantly the moment I enter the room.

Even your chaos resist?

Immortal call, stibnite, etc. But it's a jungle map so whatever. You probably just need better gear.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

enraged_camel posted:

This is definitely a big part of the issue.

Rule of thumb is you want 4k hp by the start of maps. Some builds can get away with less but it's not a bad point to aim for. Is ES your main defensive stat?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Benson Cunningham posted:

Assuming I have enough currency for any reasonable leveling gear, what is the absolute fastest build to level to maps?

I was thinking ground slam/vaal ground slam, since once you can one shot a pack you can often get the vaal to recharge itself on use. W/ movement speed flasks and faster attack leap slam for movement.

Any thoughts?

What's your definition of enough currency for reasonable levelling gear? Because I'm pretty sure the fastest way to level is to use aberrath's hooves (115c or so), a 4link herald of thunder and ice, and then just grab flat damage to spells on the rest of your gear and run through poo poo. 2 axiom perpetuums to start, berek's grips at level 20 if you want to get even more spendy.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Also zone in to the boss room, immediately hammer a portal scroll. Die, respawn in your hideout, go back through the portal. Use the invincibility buff you get on zoning in to drop a decoy totem. Any action will wipe the buff but the decoy totem might buy you enough time to get started. Probably not if it's a level 1 totem but eh.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Zephro posted:

This is definitely a big part of the issue.

Rule of thumb is you want 4k hp by the start of maps. Some builds can get away with less but it's not a bad point to aim for. Is ES your main defensive stat?

Well, it's my first high-level character, so I haven't really done any gear planning. My gear is a random assortment of various stuff I've found while leveling other than prioritizing life and ES with all resists except chaos maxed. Some of my items have Armor, others have armor and evasion, others have only ES, and so on.

I play a storm burst inquisitor, and I haven't found any definitive guides over whether to go for evasion or armor. So I've been sorta winging it, which has worked out pretty well (died a few times during leveling but mostly due to not paying attention). This map is the first time I've died repeatedly like this so I figured I'd ask for help.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you get tired of storm bust, storm call is insanely good and wouldn't require too much of a rework. It plays radically different than burst though.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Inquisitor = Templar = Red/Blue = you're not going to get much, if any, help from the tree if you go Evasion. Forget about ES and EV, stick with AR and life.

And as others have mentioned, it's a Jungle Valley map, don't worry about losing. I probably have some making GBS threads up my stash, and I am not the only one in that position.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Vasudus posted:

If you get tired of storm bust, storm call is insanely good and wouldn't require too much of a rework. It plays radically different than burst though.

I actually used fire storm until like level 50, and it was also very good. Probably better in fact? Massive radius and incredible damage even without any +fire damage passives.

I'll check out storm call though.

whypick1 posted:

Inquisitor = Templar = Red/Blue = you're not going to get much, if any, help from the tree if you go Evasion. Forget about ES and EV, stick with AR and life.

And as others have mentioned, it's a Jungle Valley map, don't worry about losing. I probably have some making GBS threads up my stash, and I am not the only one in that position.

Okay, cool. Thanks!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

enraged_camel posted:

Well, it's my first high-level character, so I haven't really done any gear planning. My gear is a random assortment of various stuff I've found while leveling other than prioritizing life and ES with all resists except chaos maxed. Some of my items have Armor, others have armor and evasion, others have only ES, and so on.

I play a storm burst inquisitor, and I haven't found any definitive guides over whether to go for evasion or armor. So I've been sorta winging it, which has worked out pretty well (died a few times during leveling but mostly due to not paying attention). This map is the first time I've died repeatedly like this so I figured I'd ask for help.
Yeah, generally you want to pick one defensive strategy and focus on it. I know nothing about storm burst but if you're a Templar you're a long way from any evasion nodes. ES used to be the best/most popular defence at high levels but it was really expensive and they nerfed it a bit this patch as well. So maybe try armour?

Also don't ignore your flasks. You want a life flask with instant recovery ("Bubbling" or "Seething") as an oh-poo poo button and some kind of defensive flask too (stibnite for now, granite later when/if you decide to go armour).

And think of your first character is a learning experience. If you aren't following a build you'll probably struggle to do end-game maps just cos there's so many mechanics to become familiar with

Zephro fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 17, 2017

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

use a basalt flask with increased effect and a jade flask with increased evasion and you can't die to trash anymore.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

J posted:

What's your definition of enough currency for reasonable levelling gear? Because I'm pretty sure the fastest way to level is to use aberrath's hooves (115c or so), a 4link herald of thunder and ice, and then just grab flat damage to spells on the rest of your gear and run through poo poo. 2 axiom perpetuums to start, berek's grips at level 20 if you want to get even more spendy.

I think I'm only a few exalts short. I'll get to farming.

I really want to time trials this game and see what my best can be.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
I think I'm going to keep it really simple this time, especially for my league starter.

Basically, the idea is get a big 2-handed phys weapon, smash stuff, have lots of life, regen and lifesteal. I'll probably use Sunder or Earthquake as my main attack. No aura stuff, no mana problems, (probably) no elemental damage, don't worry about evasion, accuracy, crit or any of those pesky stats. In terms of picking a weapon type, or focusing on bleed or whatever, I can figure that out later.

Link: https://poeplanner.com/AAkAAOcACRQD...QxwO7b1YQAAAAAA

Short links: https://www.poeurl.com/btfw, https://www.poeurl.com/btfU

Bad idea or good idea?

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 17, 2017

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

if you're not planning on running any aura's consider using gruthkul's pelt for that fat life and damage scaling.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Mr. Despair posted:

if you're not planning on running any aura's consider using gruthkul's pelt for that fat life and damage scaling.

Nice. Thanks for cluing me unto that! That looks perfect.

Metalocalypse
Jul 29, 2006
Could I get an invite to the guild? StormseekerSA

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there any difference in overall use case between sunder, earthquake and cyclone (and whatever other melee abilities)? Like you use one for bosses, one for map clear, one for memeing, or does it come down to aesthetic?

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Metalocalypse posted:

Could I get an invite to the guild? StormseekerSA

OP posted:

How do I play with goons?

There is now a Path of Exile channel on the goon discord here: https://discord.gg/AkcVFAX As of this writing Budgie and Rodent are there and can handle guild invites, although the IRC will be kept going as well.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cyclone is way less clicking if that matters to you.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Twist And Pout! posted:

Why Culling Strike? Why not Elemental Focus for the huge more% multiplier? I don't think you are trying to ignite things with Vaal Pact Firestorm and Searing Ray will apply it's burn DoT even with Elemental Focus because it doesn't "hit" This alone will give you a flat out 50% overall damage buff at gem level 20.

Get a 20% elemental damage Atziri's Promise flask as well. That's a good chunk of damage and survivability through leech right there.

Pretty sure these changes + the 40% more damage node in Zerker will be plenty to clear bosses once you get your gear to that level as well.

You do raise a good point. I was trying Cull because the dude recommended that in his link description and I didn't want to waste any more chroms on a temporary item, but that's a very good point.

Another option, though, is Iron Will. Character's got pretty absurd strength (370ish) for a spellcaster due to travelling to all of those life nodes, so why not put that to use. Would that be a better use of the final socket than elem focus since even if ignite isn't the primary focus, there is an awful lot of fire damage through triggers and whatnot, so ignite may add up. Would that be a better option?

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 17, 2017

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

If you're playing hardcore, go sunder 100%. It makes getting to maps easy and you can get some currency to work to your real build without dying. My Sunder character lasted until I Zana'd a 160% damage map and walked through a doorway without Immortal Call (I'm an idiot).

If you're playing softcore, why?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

probably not going to help given the fullness of the guild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Benson Cunningham posted:

If you're playing softcore, why?