Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Darkman Fanpage posted:

the atlantic slave trade was at that point an outlaw operation as the british navy was preventing the transfer of slaves to the americas. the southern slave system relied on trading slaves amongst itself more than bringing in new slaves from africa.

It'd also been banned by Congress in 1808, and US navy ships (the Constellation most notably) participated in anti-slavery patrols off West Africa alongside the British.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
if you see anyone making the "they should be in a museum" argument, point out that as most museums are private institutions, as long as they have storage space they would be more than happy to accept them as long as someone was able to pay for their removal, relocation, and preservation, and since you're so concerned about their preservation maybe you should get that going

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The fact that he's the governor of a fully Union statr makes the dumbass poo poo that comes out of his mouth on the reg so much worse.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

idea: put all the statues in the warehouse where they keep the ark of the covenant

burn down that warehouse

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

The fact that he's the governor of a fully Union statr makes the dumbass poo poo that comes out of his mouth on the reg so much worse.

A state that's 99.9% white people elected a racist governor?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

I believe he's won his last two elections because the dem and the left wing third party person each took like 30% of the vote

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Darkman Fanpage posted:

we might lose the metallurgy techniques of this statue cast in... *squints to read inscription* 1973!

whoa now it could have been from 1915! there's certainly no other artifacts from that time that we've easy access too!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

A state that's 99.9% white people elected a racist governor?

I mean Vermont elected a racist senator :v:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Al! posted:

if you see anyone making the "they should be in a museum" argument, point out that as most museums are private institutions, as long as they have storage space they would be more than happy to accept them as long as someone was able to pay for their removal, relocation, and preservation, and since you're so concerned about their preservation maybe you should get that going
Please pay me $100 a head to come see the racist statues in my dingy warehouse.

*Packs in 1000 Nazis on opening night. Chains the doors shut and sets it on fire.

Oh and if you tell anyone I'm going to deny it.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Al! posted:

haha yess this'll get those facebook assholes blushing

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

zegermans posted:

I believe he's won his last two elections because the dem and the left wing third party person each took like 30% of the vote

More or less.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Prester Jane posted:

Johnson Island for example is a tiny little 300 acre island in a particularly desolate stretch of Lake Erie coastline, it probably sees about a couple hundred tourists a year.

Sounds like a prime place to pull a Durham.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Data Graham posted:

*drives a car into a crowd of Nazis*

"That still only counts as one!"

Too far? :ohdear:

no, because it is bad rear end when Nazis die. that's why im getting Call of Duty: WW2

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Al! posted:

People have been pointing out that Seattle's Lenin statue is literally up for sale, so if jerks want that gone so badly, fire up that GoFundMe.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Qu Appelle posted:

People have been pointing out that Seattle's Lenin statue is literally up for sale, so if jerks want that gone so badly, fire up that GoFundMe.

too much effort

instead i fully expect this to happen and be livestreamed very soon

https://twitter.com/krangtnelson/status/897946911998701569

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Russia going "gently caress Trump."

:stare:

*in most centrist voice possible.

"welcome to the resistance"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Al! posted:

there was a guy in the trump thread who was saying we shouldnt destroy the statues because the secrets to metallurgy might be lost like damascus steel

i've made a thread for this exact thing and you didn't post it there and now i don't get to see it

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Montasque posted:

*in most centrist voice possible.

"welcome to the resistance"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jose posted:

i've made a thread for this exact thing and you didn't post it there and now i don't get to see it

i got u fam

The Human Crouton posted:

A confederate statue put into a museum today is a reminder of the civil war, the circumstances and date under which it was put up, and the circumstances and date under which it was taken down. It also gives insight into the metallurgy and art of the time. It's a great tool for the offspring of those who actually have the chance to have sex to learn from mistakes and make a better future.

But we're angry about certain haircuts now, so let's destroy them.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Bold move calling capitalists a bunch of slavers.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Lol Human Crouton is such a fuckin idiot.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

lmao thanks

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Garrand posted:

Bold move calling capitalists a bunch of slavers.

lepage good???? :eyepop:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
https://warisboring.com/a-convicted-domestic-terrorist-was-at-the-charlottesville-nazi-march/

quote:

He was involved in a 1987 incident at Fort Bragg, North Carolina in which two armed men — toting weapons fitted with silencers and dressed completely in black — robbed two fellow soldiers of their M-16 rifles during a routine exercise. The soldiers told investigators the stickup men had shouted “This is for the KKK!” as they fled.

https://therivardreport.com/armed-group-appears-at-council-to-oppose-statues-removal/

quote:

“A lot of Texans are watching,” Burkhart told the councilmen. “We are prepared to move forward with a recall for you Treviño, you Shaw … if need be, because we are not going to stand by and let you remove a monument that represents veterans, not race.”

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

I can't wait to tell my grandkids how Juggalo reinforcements saved the day during the second battle of DC.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

This is accurate.

https://twitter.com/artdecaderoo/status/897968395186057218

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Vic Berger is getting to the bottom of the Blind Alaska Truth

https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/898255341237882880

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

https://twitter.com/okcupid/status/898249291382345729

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Vic Berger is getting to the bottom of the Blind Alaska Truth

https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/898255341237882880

gob bless vic and his willingness to watch hour after hour of morons

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

artdecade has always been a chill af furry artist

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

gently caress the nazis

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

gently caress the nazis

'not anymore' - okcupid

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://twitter.com/make_ready/status/897899970501541888

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

seeing the sheer amount of "antifa hooligans literally saved my life" stuff coming out over the last few days is really heartening. those guys deserve a better rep

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

the bitcoin of weed posted:

seeing the sheer amount of "antifa hooligans literally saved my life" stuff coming out over the last few days is really heartening. those guys deserve a better rep

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

the bitcoin of weed posted:

America First is trying to hold a rally in Orlando on 9/9. Myself and a few friends are currently making plans to be there.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/jonathanchait/status/898148896064638976

liberal complicit morons

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

the other side of the story.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=832889300218819&id=664774910363593

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i support the suplexing of jonathan chait