Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shadow Hog posted:

Belated, but given the events of the past few years, I would totally believe some people would do that.

Though at the same time, I don't believe a sizable enough contingent would - after all, Mad Max: Fury Road still did gangbusters despite its mostly-female group of protagonists (Max and Nux being the exceptions), and the aforementioned group raising a huge stink over this fact.

Didn't the whole 'huge stink' turn out to be literally a dozen named people maximum, or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Also Rapunzel is a public domain story but by calling it Tangled they can copyright it completely.

At least in Frozen's case the movie had so little to do with The Snow Queen that it might as well have been an original IP. Whereas Tangled is just Rapunzel with some extra plot points piled on top of it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Tangled always seemed like a more convoluted (ha) title than Frozen, a movie wherein the primary issues are a figurative and then a literal frozen heart. "It's Tangled because these two are tangled up in a wacky woo adventure and also a hair reference, hoo hah!"

I'm with dirksteadfast, I'm pretty sure the reason for Tangled's title change is a cynical one.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Guys won't necessarily flee at the slightest hint of femininity but teenage boys will and marketing in general is fixated on what teenage boys want.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Which makes total sense for a Disney princess film ??

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Guys won't necessarily flee at the slightest hint of femininity but teenage boys will and marketing in general is fixated on what teenage boys want.

I've always wondered about that. It seems like some of the world's biggest markets are ones with either young child appeal (Cars/Barbie/Lego) or gender-targeted, but applicable to a wide audience (superheroes/Transformers/Disney princess).

I'd hazard a guess that the wide audience selection's success is bolstered largely by an adult audience, so where does the idea that teenage boys are the biggest profit demographic come from? Are teenage boys really the driving force behind Game of Thrones? Because I swear to gently caress it's made like it is.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Das Boo posted:

I've always wondered about that. It seems like some of the world's biggest markets are ones with either young child appeal (Cars/Barbie/Lego) or gender-targeted, but applicable to a wide audience (superheroes/Transformers/Disney princess).

I'd hazard a guess that the wide audience selection's success is bolstered largely by an adult audience, so where does the idea that teenage boys are the biggest profit demographic come from? Are teenage boys really the driving force behind Game of Thrones? Because I swear to gently caress it's made like it is.

It comes from the fact most of the money guys were teenage boys once.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Das Boo posted:

To be fair, A Song of Ice and Fire was written by a teenage boy (in the body of a nasally sexagenarian).

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Inescapable Duck posted:

Didn't the whole 'huge stink' turn out to be literally a dozen named people maximum, or something?
Wouldn't surprise me if it were. That crowd likes to make itself appear larger than it really is.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

First double episode of DuckTales is up on Youtube. Did we talk about that yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP0Neif7Y4E

I liked it a lot.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The episode suffers a little from having to set up the rest of the series, but on the whole, it is a very strong start.

The highlights were Donald vs the stapler and everything with McQuack, but Donald's "I wasn't talking to you" was also quite good.

I think the most encouraging thing about it is the writers' willingness to let Scrooge be a complex character. Rather than the immaculate hero of the 90's cartoon, this Scrooge is interesting and exciting, but not necessarily good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ConfusedUs posted:

First double episode of DuckTales is up on Youtube. Did we talk about that yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP0Neif7Y4E

I liked it a lot.

Only available in the US :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ducktales sucks, always did. But the theme owns.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
WTF I was rip-roaring for a fight and this is what I get?? Not even someone linking the Finnish Ducktales theme?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhSdSzSqLys

I watched Ducktales as a kid and have very few memories of it, I'm sure it's fine.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The new show takes a lot more from the Barks comics than the old cartoon

Like, in the intro they're comic panels in the intro and they mulched up newspaper to make the animation texture, and paintings that resemble the ones Barks did have been used as backstory.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah, new DuckTales owns

old DuckTales doesn't really hold up but it's not, like, terrible, beats the holy gently caress out of most of the other 80s cartoons tbh

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The only past kid's cartoon that held up really well imho is Gargoyles. To be honest it's just a really good supernatural soap opera and if it had been correctly marketed to 30 year old women it would be in Season 57.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pick posted:

The only past kid's cartoon that held up really well imho is Gargoyles. To be honest it's just a really good supernatural soap opera and if it had been correctly marketed to 30 year old women it would be in Season 57.

I agree with you that Gargoyles holds up, but disagree on why, to an extent

it's a really good supernatural soap opera, but it's also very definitely one for kids. it never tries to hide that or makes any bones about that, and one of its best episodes (possibly the absolute peak of the show) is a straight up Very Special Episode about why you shouldn't gently caress with guns. what makes it still work, revisiting it as a 23-year-old, is that it's a kids show that works at kids' level but never actually talks down to them and trusts their intelligence rather than insulting it. it's almost a predecessor to the... I don't want to say current, but recent crop of kids shows like Avatar: TLA and Adventure Time and Regular Show; it's written for its audience, but it never loses sight of actually being a good show in the name of singlemindedly pursuing its audience. it remembers to actually loving try.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it's a really good supernatural soap opera, but it's also very definitely one for kids. it never tries to hide that or makes any bones about that, and one of its best episodes (possibly the absolute peak of the show) is a straight up Very Special Episode about why you shouldn't gently caress with guns. what makes it still work, revisiting it as a 23-year-old, is that it's a kids show that works at kids' level but never actually talks down to them and trusts their intelligence rather than insulting it. it's almost a predecessor to the... I don't want to say current, but recent crop of kids shows like Avatar: TLA and Adventure Time and Regular Show; it's written for its audience, but it never loses sight of actually being a good show in the name of singlemindedly pursuing its audience. it remembers to actually loving try.

90s animation was basically a process of the industry slowly, painfully realising that kids actually like ongoing stories and serialisation, possibly helped along by those weird Japanimations the kids seem to like even with really crappy translations.

New DuckTales is drawing on its roots heavily but also doing some nearly unprecedented poo poo for the franchise, just starting with giving the triplets actual personalities (which they did in Quack Pack, but not very well) and acknowledging that the rest of the Disney Afternoon exists; Darkwing Duck and even possibly the Talespin crew showing up are practically a given. Apparently everything is fair game except the Rescue Rangers (since there's a movie in the works which may or may not ever get made) and Mickey himself.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Darkwing still works entirely because of its stellar voice acting, IMO.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Tailspin might be harder to marry up, being set in the 1930s.

wikipedia posted:

The time frame of the series is never specifically addressed, but appears to be in the mid-to-late 1930s. In the show, the helicopter, television and jet engine are experimental devices, and most architecture is reminiscent of the Art Deco style of that period. In one episode, Baloo comments that "The Great War ended 20 years ago," thus indicating that the series takes place in or around 1938. Radio is the primary mass medium, and one episode even briefly alludes to the characters having never heard of television.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The gun episode is actually really loving good, which as noted is pretty amazing. So is the flash-forward episode, which is also usually an episode type that is crap. "Future Tense" mah man.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Tailspin might be harder to marry up, being set in the 1930s.

Setting and time have always been weird with the various Duck settings, they've tried to be vague about it but that's very hard to do now with eras very clearly defined by the rapid pace of technological change, unless you just go full on Archer with flaunting the anachronisms.

Would be interesting if they kept with Talespin as a period piece and have it be in the past, visiting a modern Cape Suzette possibly with successors to the original characters, though they still might mess with the timeline then.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Carl Barks' original Uncle Scrooge comics were mostly set in the 1940s. According to Don Rosa's almost-but-not-quite-official timeline of Scrooge's life he was born in 1867, he first met Huey, Dewey & Louie in 1947 and he died in 1967.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Well now they finally have a chance to start over and do things right. The new Duckverse will have no such egregious disregard for canon.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Pick posted:

Not even someone linking the Finnish Ducktales theme?!

I did back in the dedicated thread

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sir Lemming posted:

Well now they finally have a chance to start over and do things right. The new Duckverse will have no such egregious disregard for canon.

Yeah they can make sure ... he dies!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I'm just happy that once the show starts broadcasting next month it's apparently going to have a regular weekly release schedule, I don't think I could handle another Gravity Falls fiasco.

From what I've heard in interviews Disney apparently thought that the Tangled show was going to be their big new hit and were more or less completely caught off guard by how much more viral the stuff about DuckTales they put out went so they're leaning pretty hard into supporting the show now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I like Tangled and all but lol

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Like all the best things about Tangled (the mother/daughter stuff, some of the more clever gags) are either fairly heavy or stuff that adults are more likely to pick up on or both, while Ducktales has both incredible nostalgia and a really simple adventure-based premise going for it.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
'80s nostalgia sells really well, and they aired long enough that the age gap for kids who watched them is pretty big. I was born in 1990, and I can remember watching Ducktales, Muppet Babies, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, and maybe even Gummi Bears (I remember it existed), even though the latest any of those were still getting new episodes was apparently 1992. I don't think I watched them for that long though because I don't remember specific episodes or anything other than the Ducktales movie. Ducktales always seems like the most popular of those, too.

I'm surprised they were surprised.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Remember this is the company whose Marketing for John Carter consists entirely of "Who is John Galt"-style BS that tells you nothing about what the movie is actually about, and kept focusing on Olaf in Frozen marketing.

So basically, Disney's marketing are run by idiots

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Are you claiming that Disney's marketting for Frozen was somehow ineffective?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My experience was word of mouth doing wonders for Frozen.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Fangz posted:

Are you claiming that Disney's marketting for Frozen was somehow ineffective?

As Das Boo said - it's not olaf, it's word of mouth, the polar vortex making sitting inside a warm theater a very attractive option, and Let it Go being played.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If I remember correctly, Frozen didn't do very well it's first week. It almost looked like it was gonna flop. Then word of mouth spread and it just blew up. Kinda like Titanic in the 90s.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think I mentioned before, possibly in this thread, that when movies get popular with women they tend to spread via word of mouth and have huge tails, exactly what's happened with Titanic, Frozen and Wonder Woman.

Marketing departments do not understand this phenomenon at all, probably something to do with them being hyper-focused on appealing almost exclusively to teenage boys.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Honestly, though, it seems a significant stretch to say that Disney, the creators of the most commercially successful films in history, did so despite being 'bad at marketting'.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The teaser trailer for Zootopia defining what furries are, as if many people still somehow didn't know1, comes to mind.

I know there's rumors that that teaser hit right when they were moving away from the shock collar plot and that everything was in a state of flux as a result, resulting in a trailer showcasing the few concrete things they had at the time, but I don't know the veracity of said rumors at all.

1Well okay, admittedly there probably was a sizable contingent of the human race who hadn't been exposed to the oddities of the internet as that time... Probably still is, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
New Ducktales must be insanely expensive to produce, judging by the VO cast.