Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The underlying cause of why an Urbanmech could one shot your Atlas the moment it saw it from across the map remains, even with the attempts to reduce it below the one hit kill threshold. Headshot gambling still very likley beats two robots unloading all their guns into eachother over several turns.

Or even flanking given the whims of the RNG and "So I alpha striked that guy in the back three times and he's still fine, ON TOP of shooting him in the front with others. Didn't people tell me Commando Flanks were MLG assault one shotters- *one shot pasted by Assault finally turning around*". So reduced damage may only going to further put lights into the "I brought this because I can't afford a real mech" tier given that situation.

Skoll posted:

I've had like preternatural bad luck in the beta with my mechs getting headshot early in the rounds. I know it's :battletech: but I think the RNG especially hates me.

Cyrano4747 posted:

That's the thing about iterative design and true betas - if these changes suck they can always roll them back, or tweak them for a third version. It's not like there's a comp scene or leaderboards where they're going to make a bunch of poop sockers butthurt over changing the meta or nerfing their sickkkkkk build.

That's a wonderful theory, but so many games have heard that saying where that doesn't pan out. And here we are with one patch after ages, when it was already in question there would even be another patch.

Though I'm more worried about the legal troubles than "Can they make headshots and light mechs honestly not poo poo rather than 'it's edge cases! only edge cases have issues!'". No matter what the end result is the competitive types will have their spreadsheet builds either way.

So I'm less concerned with "Competitive balance" and more not wanting my primary concern at all times being "Will they headshot me this round". Along with getting lights out of the revolving door hole of "Lights are great, you flank with them when your big mechs are engaging it's target, idiot" to "Oh, you actually flanked with your light and the AI dropped everything to turn around and shoot it? You idiot, lights are for spamming sensors from behind cover" whenever you try one or the other.

I can't use "flank with a light to make the Atlas 180 and turn his back on the rest of my squad in favor of crushing a light with only a light laser remaining" so hot when campaign mode comes around and I need to give a poo poo about my pilots :v: And an increase in crits frequency is going to be something easy to feel much more often outside of "4 vs 4, identical budget".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Cyrano4747 posted:

I agree to a point. Big slugfests are awesome, but "oh gently caress my atlas got domed" is pretty much battle tech as gently caress too.

One of the most hilarious awesome Beta moments I've had is parking my Panther on the main Hill on the River map, having the AI roll into view with a Jenner. And on the following turn, in the first shot fired in the entire match, headcapping the Jenner with my PPC + Precision Shot.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Ammo explosions in this game are also less so a death sentence than they are in tt to start with too.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Gwaihir posted:

Ammo explosions in this game are also less so a death sentence than they are in tt to start with too.

Yeah, just about every TT game I ever played with a warhammer started with "round 1: dump the MG ammo"

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gwaihir posted:

Maybe, they said they're trying to make crits more meaningful which seems to read like "Ammo explosions are going to kill you more" to me.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Zaodai posted:

Maybe, they said they're trying to make crits more meaningful which seems to read like "Ammo explosions are going to kill you more" to me.

There is a wide gulf between the nearly zero occurrence of Ammo Explosions now, and MG Ammo being a death sentence like it is in TT tho

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I mean explosions in this game don't do many times the internal damage of an entire Mech, they're like a gauss rifle that might or might not take out the segement that it's in but probably won't also one shot your CT.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

So, it looks like to avoid having to tune the AC damage down too much they've rejiggered the calcs for head hits. Then they also boosted head structure by a point.

https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/9223/comments/175654

So the AC/10 can only headcap the Spider and Commando post damage retuning.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gonna shoot dem metal babbies. :getin:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Q_res posted:

So, it looks like to avoid having to tune the AC damage down too much they've rejiggered the calcs for head hits. Then they also boosted head structure by a point.

God bless "Iterative changes" ™ being for real :dance:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Q_res posted:

:woop: Who knew that not pandering to frothing at the mouth idiots would work out?!?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Just curious - if the Commando and Spider are still one-hittable, why not the Locust?

I don't mind, I think the +1 structure was something we talked about in here and I thought it was a nice and simple idea. So I'm fine with however they implement that.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

:woop: Who knew that not pandering to frothing at the mouth idiots would work out?!?

If you read that thread (do so at own risk...), you can actually see someone refer to the AC/2 as being "op for its size". Really glad they don't listen to that stuff.

I'm super happy with what they've done, pending actually playing it. I tried ACs at 20/35/55/100 damage with some modding, and I'll admit at 35 damage the AC/5 did seem just a hair too weak.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Psion posted:

Just curious - if the Commando and Spider are still one-hittable, why not the Locust?

I don't mind, I think the +1 structure was something we talked about in here and I thought it was a nice and simple idea. So I'm fine with however they implement that.

Stock Commando and Spider don't have maximum head armor.

e: (Then again, neither does the Locust, so :iiam:)

No reason you can't make those mechs un-one shottable with a custom version though.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I'm pretty sure that in any match that allows custom variants, they'll have maximum head armor - like in every game with a Mechlab. You take a little armor off the legs or somewhere if you have to, but you never run less than full on the head.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Wellll, except on a Locust, where the -1M with L1 tech has is literally no armor anywhere anyhow. Locust legs have 1 armor stock, and the CT has 2. The head with 3 armor is the tankiest part of the 'Mech!

The 1E or 1V with 4 whole tons of armor is way better off than the 1M at least.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
But at least it's a Locust variant that can walk around in the backfield and plink with LRMs, it doesn't need armor all the time!!!

Lore-based loadouts can be so bizarre sometimes.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Interested to see what happens if you bring custom mechs to multiplayer games. I am guessing that there won't be a mechlab until much further down the road.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Phrosphor posted:

Interested to see what happens if you bring custom mechs to multiplayer games. I am guessing that there won't be a mechlab until much further down the road.

I think they mentioned it would work as long as both parties have the same customized mech clientside.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

MP Beta Access got posted accidentally:

Steam game properties, betas, enter code DEATHFROMABOVE and select the mpbeta in the drop down above the code entry field.

I asked the forum poster who was the only guy to catch the misfire two questions and was able to brute force the answer. :smug:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Not working / invalid code. They must have fixed it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Daaaaamn

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Why does the game only allow 1920x1200 in windowed mode?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I got 2 matches in, both wins. It's a shitload of fun, if you managed to get it downloaded. Don't quit out of the game without disabling auto-updates.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Q_res posted:

That's interesting. I hope they take that a step farther for the main game, head hits being semi-common are fine for the skirmish game but I'm not eager to eat one every 2-3 missions in a campaign.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's interesting. I hope they take that a step farther for the main game, head hits being semi-common are fine for the skirmish game but I'm not eager to eat one every 2-3 missions in a campaign.

Says the man literally running a campaign with 2-3 head hits a mission. :colbert:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's not too difficult. Past BT-themed strategy games have massaged the head hit issue without too much trouble. I suspect it will result more in pilot injuries and the health of your crew will be just another resource to manage in the campaign.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Cyrano4747 posted:

That's not too difficult. Past BT-themed strategy games have massaged the head hit issue without too much trouble. I suspect it will result more in pilot injuries and the health of your crew will be just another resource to manage in the campaign.

And that I'm fine with. It's just nice to know those variables are easily modified and I'm just expressing my hope that the campaign tweaks them independently of the skirmish and multiplayer skirmish games.

Edit: Or better yet, make "player unit head hits" a difficulty menu slider for the campaign ranging from [same as AI] to [some percentage reduced] to [a bigger percentage reduced]. Maybe even go so far as making [none] an option for inexperienced tactics game players or younger kids who like making the robots punch each other. :kimchi:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 17, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Well, in the 2 MP matches I played there were plenty of head hits but nobody died from a headshot. There were also an ammo explosion or two each match.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Q_res posted:

Well, in the 2 MP matches I played there were plenty of head hits but nobody died from a headshot. There were also an ammo explosion or two each match.

Nice "i got into multiplayer" brag.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

veedubfreak posted:

Go shitpost in the mwo thread.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Phrosphor posted:

Go shitpost in the mwo thread.

Hey gently caress you, I'm in the beta, i can shitpost here too.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

Hey gently caress you, I'm in the beta, i can shitpost here too.

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

BadOptics posted:

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue.

I choose to waive that right...

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

For some reason I figured this would be a Trump speech.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Well, it's live for everyone now. https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/9249 So you can stop being a salty little poo poo about it veedub.

:love:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

The farther a ‘Mech moves (by any type of movement), the more EVASIVE
charges it receives, up to a maximum of 6.
○ Each EVASIVE charge makes the ‘Mech +2 Difficulty to hit with ranged attacks.
○ Each time an EVASIVE ‘Mech is attacked, it loses one EVASIVE charge.
○ The EVASIVE state is lost when the ‘Mech has no EVASIVE charges remaining,
or becomes UNSTEADY.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Q_res posted:

Well, it's live for everyone now. https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/9249 So you can stop being a salty little poo poo about it veedub.

:love:

Woot, and its not like i was serious. Hell i've only got like 5 games in total on the beta. I just thought it was funny how he did the little humble brag that *you got into the multiplayer :) Game kept crashing on me when I tried to play earlier.

I did notice how there's a mechlab button now. Looking forward to beign able to adjust mechs.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Phrosphor posted:

The farther a ‘Mech moves (by any type of movement), the more EVASIVE
charges it receives, up to a maximum of 6.
○ Each EVASIVE charge makes the ‘Mech +2 Difficulty to hit with ranged attacks.
○ Each time an EVASIVE ‘Mech is attacked, it loses one EVASIVE charge.
○ The EVASIVE state is lost when the ‘Mech has no EVASIVE charges remaining,
or becomes UNSTEADY.

that's pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
These look like very good changes all around.