Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JointHorse posted:

Oh man, I missed threads like this after the big GBS-cleanout.

Anyway, dx/banggood/aliexpress has been my go-to place for electronic components for years now, and it's fun to see what other people are buying. Right now I've got a selection of surface mount components from AX coming in, and "DIY" version of a component tester + pocket oscilloscope from BG. Also one of those endoscopes with a USB/microUSB/USB-C connector.

The biggest downside so far has been the long delivery times. It usually takes a month for anything to arrive to Finland, and for some reason my local post office loves sending me a note saying that the package has arrived, and can be picked up.. tomorrow. :confused:

It was discussed here earlier, and it's because Posti literally just doesn't want to deliver mail because it's actual work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

The spam you get from sellers is funny sometimes

quote:

I am Debbie from Elego, sales manager of Flying Team. It is my great honor to introduce our company Elego and our exclusive products to you.

1. Are you also getting tired of price competition, lower and lower profit?

2. Are you also drunk in rains of new products and hesitate which one to chose for your customer?

If you have these problems, I am getting in touch with you is correct, because we are meeting the same problem. Your customers push you lower cost and you will push your supplier.

In 2017, with lead of our boss Andy, Elego is opening a new way for our customers and also for our own. It is we are aiming to get more smaller brands but great products for our customers, and also get exclusive rights from our partners. You also like this, yes?

Yes I am drunk in rains of new products, Debbie

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

All tools on Ali are garbage. 100%. Just buy another Leatherman.

This except a SOG.

https://www.sogknives.com/type/multi-tools.html

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Speaking of multitools, my Wallet Ninja just arrived and it's literally the exact same thing as retail ones right down to the paintjob only it was 80 cents instead of 8 bucks.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan

spog posted:

I would like to know more about this.

I've fancied a cheap oscilloscope for checking the quality of output of USB power supplies and signals in cars - would this do the job?

Perhaps. At under :20bux: this thing is a toy, but it should be enough to see if there's a signal on some wire or not. Check youtube for reviews on DSO150 and DSO138, that should give you a better idea what this thing can do.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

spog posted:

I would like to know more about this.

I've fancied a cheap oscilloscope for checking the quality of output of USB power supplies and signals in cars - would this do the job?

That scope is specced as a 200KHz/1Msps scope, and that's probably generous. I dunno how much you know about information theory or oscilloscope operation, but there is a tradeoff between bandwidth and accuracy; you can't actually measure a signal at your scope's maximum bandwidth and get an accurate reading, and you can't even see a signal with a frequency of more than half your sampling rate. Long and short of it is that I wouldn't trust it for anything faster than 70KHz, at which point it'll be accurate to about 3% (by the books, anyway) and you've got around 8 samples per cycle.

(For comparison, the Rigol entry-level benchtop scope that's generally recommended for electronics hobbyists, which costs about $350, has 1000x the sample rate and 500x the bandwidth)

Sooo if the noise you care about is all slower than 70kHz -- go for it. Checking USB power lines is probably one reasonable use for that, since most of the noise in a car electrical system will have car-like frequencies of a few hundred hz or less. Signals are a whole other ballpark; full-speed USB 1.1 is a 48MHz clock so you have no chance of catching it with that scope.

For 20 bucks it looks neat -- just keep in mind what you're getting.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

JointHorse posted:

Oh man, I missed threads like this after the big GBS-cleanout.

Anyway, dx/banggood/aliexpress has been my go-to place for electronic components for years now, and it's fun to see what other people are buying. Right now I've got a selection of surface mount components from AX coming in, and "DIY" version of a component tester + pocket oscilloscope from BG. Also one of those endoscopes with a USB/microUSB/USB-C connector.

The biggest downside so far has been the long delivery times. It usually takes a month for anything to arrive to Finland, and for some reason my local post office loves sending me a note saying that the package has arrived, and can be picked up.. tomorrow. :confused:

Since you have experience with this, can you comment on the quality of electronics and indicators of quality to either look for or watch out for? The general feeling itt is that electronics are a gamble and they're best avoided altogether. I enjoy the AliExpress gamble for the most part, but not when it involves my house burning down.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't buy anything literally life critical but regular consumer goods are likely to be the exact same poo poo you'd buy anywhere else just at half the price. So far I've bought a Xiaomi camera and usb powerbank, gimbal and FPV system for my drone, a multimeter, led strips, an endoscope and a bunch of electronic components without any issues. Not sure about Ali but Banggood is relatively good at after-sale support too, if you can show their poo poo doesn't work they just refund the money without much bullshit.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Aliexpress: the exact same poo poo you'd buy anywhere else just at half the price*

*And with zero oversight or regulation to make sure that your eyeshadow isn't 80% rat feces or that your D cell battery isn't secretly just two AA batteries in a hollow casing

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

HazCat posted:

Aliexpress: the exact same poo poo you'd buy anywhere else just at half the price*

*And with zero oversight or regulation to make sure that your eyeshadow isn't 80% rat feces or that your D cell battery isn't secretly just two AA batteries in a hollow casing

Lol holy poo poo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

myDad posted:

Lol holy poo poo

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 17, 2017

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
If I'm buying basic electronic components, I always order more than I need. There's bound to be few bad components, but that's a given when you can buy twenty of something for the price of one from your local shop. And for other gadgets? Buy the ones that have good reviews, that's about it :p

110v/220v devices I wouldn't buy, unless you're ready to do a complete teardown. Loose connections and bad soldering does not go well with line voltages.

Also, don't buy the cheapest poo poo you can find:

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 17, 2017

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

i bought the waterproof container and the "leatherdo" hairpin and they look the same as the pictures and will probably not break if i use them once or twice

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sagebrush posted:

That scope is specced as a 200KHz/1Msps scope, and that's probably generous. I dunno how much you know about information theory or oscilloscope operation, but there is a tradeoff between bandwidth and accuracy; you can't actually measure a signal at your scope's maximum bandwidth and get an accurate reading, and you can't even see a signal with a frequency of more than half your sampling rate. Long and short of it is that I wouldn't trust it for anything faster than 70KHz, at which point it'll be accurate to about 3% (by the books, anyway) and you've got around 8 samples per cycle.

(For comparison, the Rigol entry-level benchtop scope that's generally recommended for electronics hobbyists, which costs about $350, has 1000x the sample rate and 500x the bandwidth)

Sooo if the noise you care about is all slower than 70kHz -- go for it. Checking USB power lines is probably one reasonable use for that, since most of the noise in a car electrical system will have car-like frequencies of a few hundred hz or less. Signals are a whole other ballpark; full-speed USB 1.1 is a 48MHz clock so you have no chance of catching it with that scope.

For 20 bucks it looks neat -- just keep in mind what you're getting.

Gotcha.

Fun Toy
Can test whether a PSU is putting out clean power
Can test automotive component that slowly change state (e.g. MAF or temp)

Can't test digital signals

Ta

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

spog posted:

Gotcha.

Fun Toy
Can test whether a PSU is putting out clean power*
Can test automotive component that slowly change state (e.g. MAF or temp)

Can't test digital signals

Ta

*if the device under test is insensitive to noise above 70KHz

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sagebrush posted:

*if the device under test is insensitive to noise above 70KHz

I'm thinking a simple wallwart USB power supply to tell whether it will damage an iphone or similar.

i.e. comparing the dollar store ones to Apple ones

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

uh-huh

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fas...2820371936.html

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Is the jagged stitching on the bill supposed to indicate that the wearer is hooked up to a heart rate monitor? Are you supposed to give this to a woman victimized so badly that she is in the hospital on life support?

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

very fash
ionable

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Is the jagged stitching on the bill supposed to indicate that the wearer is hooked up to a heart rate monitor? Are you supposed to give this to a woman victimized so badly that she is in the hospital on life support?

Well, no, because if she wore it it wouldn't be accurate. She'd need a hat that says "I am a victim".

This hat is clearly for comic book villains. He just goes about his business wearing the hat, and when someone criticizes the hat saying, "I'm not a victim!" he victimizes them. "You are now, buddy." A SJW gone bad. He went mad when he realized he could never right all the wrongs in the world, so now he's bringing equality by making sure everyone is a victim.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

:h::china:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Well, no, because if she wore it it wouldn't be accurate. She'd need a hat that says "I am a victim".

This hat is clearly for comic book villains. He just goes about his business wearing the hat, and when someone criticizes the hat saying, "I'm not a victim!" he victimizes them. "You are now, buddy." A SJW gone bad. He went mad when he realized he could never right all the wrongs in the world, so now he's bringing equality by making sure everyone is a victim.
I wanted it until I realised what it really reads as is "The person wearing this hat is accusing everyone around them of being an SJW"

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

HazCat posted:

even harbor freight gives you 4 AAA batteries in their rechargeable D cells

tbf harbor freight is just the tools section of aliexpress but irl

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Look at these scrubs who don't understand how batteries work :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3qPrlun45c

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Guy Mann posted:

Look at these scrubs who don't understand how batteries work :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3qPrlun45c

Lol

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
At least the components off aliexpress are (likely) safe, power & memory aren't worth the gamble

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

anyone need a gear shift knob

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The Mad Max franchise is going in a strange new direction.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

ultrafire lmao

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

this page really underlines the rule i have for AE/DX: Don't buy anything that takes power. It will at best, break instantly and at worst kill your family.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Just look at the reviews on the store and find a YouTube video for the thing if you're worried, otherwise just use common sense when buying electronic poo poo (the cheaper it is...)

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Slugworth posted:

I wanted it until I realised what it really reads as is "The person wearing this hat is accusing everyone around them of being an SJW"

That same person also probably refers to people as globalists in a disparaging manner.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I can safely say that the Mars Hydro light I bought is pretty legit and the landscaping store I work for who is trying to break more into hydroponics is looking to pick up some units. Anyone who is looking for a relatively inexpensive LED grow light should check them.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
CHINESE CHRISTMAS BEGINS

My 100 pack of stickers came in, here's some bad photos of some of them

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Speaking of stickers, if you're curious how AliExpress stickers hold up after 2-3 months of constant Florida summer sun and rain without any sort of sealer or clear coat to protect them:

The ones on the front that are completely faded/peeled are mostly from one particular batch I got that had a matte finish instead of a glossy one.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
So I ordered this LCD paperless memo pad as a gift because Techmoan's video on it made it look neat but I'd rather pay $15 for a white label product instead of a $50 name-brand Boogie Board and apparently they have a shipping center in the US or something because the free shipping was with UPS Express Saver and I got it in four days. If AliExpress keeps growing in popularity I hope more companies follow their lead because man that was a pleasant surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=few9P5ojV60

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Guy Mann posted:

Speaking of stickers, if you're curious how AliExpress stickers hold up after 2-3 months of constant Florida summer sun and rain without any sort of sealer or clear coat to protect them:

The ones on the front that are completely faded/peeled are mostly from one particular batch I got that had a matte finish instead of a glossy one.

2K Clear Coat High Gloss.
Trust me on this one.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

So I ordered this LCD paperless memo pad as a gift because Techmoan's video on it made it look neat but I'd rather pay $15 for a white label product instead of a $50 name-brand Boogie Board and apparently they have a shipping center in the US or something because the free shipping was with UPS Express Saver and I got it in four days. If AliExpress keeps growing in popularity I hope more companies follow their lead because man that was a pleasant surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=few9P5ojV60

But is it any good?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

goatface posted:

But is it any good?

It's a gift, I may be willing to buy Chinese knockoffs but giving away opened things is just tacky :colbert:

But poking around YouTube there are plenty of people who bought the same knockoff off of banggood, etc. and from a cursory glance they all say it works just fine. It looks like it's basically like an Etch-A-Sketch only using pressure-sensitive LCD instead of magnets and metal powder so the only real electric stuff is a single button battery that sends out the charge to wipe the screen, hardly complicated or sensitive stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEFuWuaPNKo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C94CB5XYdAE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The designer of an elaborate set of lingerie buys a knock-off version of it from AliExpress and gives it as fair a review as she can manage.