Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

brugroffil posted:

this sounds pretty apocryphal tbh

Yea I am not really sure when that is supposed to have happened. Wedding rings are easily traced to as far back as the 1550s in just England, and the exchange of rings is probably thousands of years old. Also it wasn't just a ritual for wealthy people, it was a common part of the ceremony so it would be done by regular folk, who would frequently be exchanging rings without any particular wealth value. Also at least as far back as we know ring ceremonies were commonly conducted people were not wandering around freely, many were still bound to the land, so the idea of a widely roaming serial bigamist is... unlikely, at least to motivate an entire tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folly
May 26, 2010

Tomfoolery posted:

You can pay him $19 for "email solutions" to your problems - total of 1,000 words. Or pay $25k for the "Legacy Package" for personal branding:
. . .
Or just make a donation of $50 for "someone who cannot afford my services".

Excuse me sir, this is the BAD with money thread. Convincing rich people to pay stupid amounts of money for you typing out you opinion is very good with money. I mean here I am just giving it away for free.

Convincing people to give you money for no service whatsoever is even better with money, and has very low overhead.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Tomfoolery posted:

Some self-help guru called Loy Machado had a super weird response to the softball Quora question of, "What made you smile today?"
https://www.quora.com/What-made-you-smile-today/answer/Loy-Machedo?share=a1bbfa8c&srid=pBib

His "super simple wifey" whom he "accidentally found" on a Thai marriage website lived her entire life on a farm, is half his age, and super naive (meanwhile, he's some sort of self-help scammer). She won a "Very Rare Original Chanel French Designer Ladies Bag" and asked him for $3 for shipping it from "France". He tried to tell her that it was fake, but she got sad and so he gave her the $3. When it arrived she showed him the "Chanel" tag that means it's real.

If you like, you can hire him as a self help trainer. Here's his quora profile:
https://www.quora.com/profile/Loy-Machedo

He's SUPER FAMOUS:

You can pay him $19 for "email solutions" to your problems - total of 1,000 words. Or pay $25k for the "Legacy Package" for personal branding:

Or just make a donation of $50 for "someone who cannot afford my services".

What the gently caress is going on at his website:
http://www.whoisloymachedo.com/#accomplishment

quote:

How Expensive I Am In Comparison To My Competition?: 99 %
How Much Discount I Offer If You Are Poor, Suffering Or Unemployed?: 0 %
How Happy Am I With My Sex Life?: 49 %
I will undercut the competitor. I do not give a poo poo about poor people. I am ambivalent about my sex life. :psyduck:

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

https://www.loymachedo.com/2017/05/prostitute/

The idea of that guy riding around on a scooter looking for a thai hooker because his relationships with women half his age keep failing is kinda hilarious tbh.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ashcans posted:

Yea I am not really sure when that is supposed to have happened. Wedding rings are easily traced to as far back as the 1550s in just England, and the exchange of rings is probably thousands of years old. Also it wasn't just a ritual for wealthy people, it was a common part of the ceremony so it would be done by regular folk, who would frequently be exchanging rings without any particular wealth value. Also at least as far back as we know ring ceremonies were commonly conducted people were not wandering around freely, many were still bound to the land, so the idea of a widely roaming serial bigamist is... unlikely, at least to motivate an entire tradition.

brugroffil posted:

this sounds pretty apocryphal tbh

Ok, I went down a small rabbit hole to check this out and you're right, it's probably bullshit. My mistake.

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

ranbo das posted:

The idea of that guy riding around on a scooter looking for a thai hooker because his relationships with women half his age keep failing is kinda hilarious tbh.

This is the most tedious thing I've ever read about prostitutes. How do you write something so boring about hookers?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Suspicious Lump posted:

What the gently caress is going on at his website:
http://www.whoisloymachedo.com/#accomplishment
I will undercut the competitor. I do not give a poo poo about poor people. I am ambivalent about my sex life. :psyduck:

:lol: that's good

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

ranbo das posted:

I picture him as one of those kooky Key West parrotheads, except in Thailand and obsessed with hookers instead of Jimmy Buffett.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I want a show like Kung Fu, but instead of fighting for justice he's marrying women, taking the dowry, and skipping town, leaving ruined lives and tears in his wake.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Quantum Leap: Matrimonial Boogaloo

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The littlest hobo, but the dog gets married every episode

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Lol if you don't just buy 20$ rings on Amazon and spend the rest of the money you would otherwise spend on a blood diamond on a nice honeymoon or a loving car or a kitchen remodel or literally anything else that is actually useful.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Like a horse!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Tipps posted:

Lol if you don't just buy 20$ rings on Amazon and spend the rest of the money you would otherwise spend on a blood diamond on a nice honeymoon or a loving car or a kitchen remodel or literally anything else that is actually useful.
Yeah but not having an adult discussion with your sig other before spending a lot or a little is BWL.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Tipps posted:

:can:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This thread inspired me to discuss the engagement ring parameters with my girlfriend and probably saved me a lot of money!

Goon-analyzed love finance is the best love finance.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
What the gently caress happened to this?

pig slut lisa posted:

Talking about yourself
BFC boasts a wealth of threads for talking about yourself. Have a basic personal finance question? The newbie thread is what you're looking for. More specific questions? Check out the long-term investing thread, the credit card thread, the house-buying thread, the...you get the picture. Want to brag on yourself for a financial achievement? Tell us all about it in the Goons Getting Ahead thread, or challenge yourself to track your financial goals over the course of the year. Just have something small or cool or interesting to share that doesn't fit into another category? Pop in to the general discussion thread. And if none of these threads work for you, I love love love seeing new threads in BFC! You might even get a sticky out of it if your OP is interesting ;)

With so many places to tell us about how good or bad you are with money, there's no need to clutter up this thread with it. We all want to hear about your incredibly opulent/exceedingly frugal wedding, I swear, but not in this thread please! This also goes for asking for advice. Stories about family, friends, and coworkers where you play a bit role are fine, but stories about you belong elsewhere. Of the ~25 people who responded to my call for feedback, ~20 suggested a rule like this. Let's see which one of the 20 breaks it first :twisted:

Shut up you guys.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

potatoducks posted:

Shut up you guys.

Reported back seat mod

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
more like lol if you're too poor to buy a real wedding ring and still afford other stuff that you want. this isn't the budgeting thread guys.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

This thread inspired me to discuss the engagement ring parameters with my girlfriend and probably saved me a lot of money!

Goon-analyzed love finance is the best love finance.

Glad at least some good came of a perennial, boring derail.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Actual BWM/BWL engagement ring content time. This fellow splurged for a ring that costs as much as a car and the inevitable occurred:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6uf7ms/fiance_told_me_its_over_what_now/

quote:

Fiance told me it's over. What now?

I'll be short and sweet and try to keep the emotions out of it. Long story short, my fiancé told me she is done. I came home from work to the ring on my nightstand and her telling me she's done. My question to r/personalfinance. We have an apartment together. Both of us are on the lease. Do I stick out the next 7 months of our lease or move to a new place and pay both rents? Current monthly rent for my half is $700.00 all in. I make appx $65,000 annually with almost no other expenses. (Company car, gas card, health insurance, etc)

Second question. Does anyone know if it is possible to sell engagement rings for near what you paid? I paid ~$18,000 for the ring. Do I have a chance of coming anywhere near that reselling it?

My brain is a little scattered right now so I'm sorry if some things don't make sense. Any advice and guidance is appreciated.

Thanks, Ryan

UPDATE I should have mentioned, we are both on the lease. My share of the rent is $700. It is $1400 total per month. This is where moving out/breaking the lease becomes complicated. I would still be financially obligated to cover the rent if she cannot afford it (if I move out).

Oh yeah, he's now sleeping on the couch while his ex-fiance apparently gets the bed-- presumably her reward for dumping him. Wonder how much he'll recoup on the ring? Half?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

At least he makes enough to cover the rent alone.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
drat, $18k is like a 2 carat stone. Although he probably got ripped off and bought a 1 carat for that price from a retail store.

edit: I can get a 2.7 carat stone for $17k or a 21 carat stone for $1.8M on bluenile.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Like a horse!

Content: I was at the market today, was a teenage girl busking with a fiddle accompanied by the sign "I'm saving for a horse".

Jolly Guy
Sep 24, 2011

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Content: I was at the market today, was a teenage girl busking with a fiddle accompanied by the sign "I'm saving for a horse".

If avocado toast means millennials cant afford a home, I wonder what buying a horse means.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

It means you can't afford avocado toast anymore because of the horse

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
If it wasn't for my avacado toast, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pompous Rhombus posted:

That rules, gwm gwl

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Don't expensive wedding rings get lost or stolen all the drat time?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Yes. Buy insurance in your ring.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I paid extra to add avocado to my brunch tacos last weekend, and thought of this thread. The avocado was delicious.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
My friends wife lost her 10k engagement ring in a public park while playing with their dogs. When we asked him if he had insurance he said "of course not, I'm Jewish". I thought them folk were supposed to be good with money!

Folly
May 26, 2010

LLCoolJD posted:

I paid extra to add avocado to my brunch tacos last weekend, and thought of this thread. The avocado was delicious.

GUILLOTINE!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

LLCoolJD posted:

Enjoy homelessness.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Volmarias posted:

Yes. Buy insurance in your ring.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
the expected value of insurance is negative (with some exceptions for subsidized insurance like commonly for health insurance)

if you can easily absorb the loss then it's gwm to avoid insurance on things - same with extended warranties

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Zo posted:

the expected value of insurance is negative (with some exceptions for subsidized insurance like commonly for health insurance)

if you can easily absorb the loss then it's gwm to avoid insurance on things - same with extended warranties

From an NPV/expected value standpoint yes, but from an uncertainty optimizing utility curve it could be the opposite (you have a small marginal gain in happiness from the non purchase of insurance, but can have an outsized negative happiness effect from an uninsured loss).

It would be like a term life insurance policy for someone just starting to ramp up in compensation with non-working dependents,they might expect to be fine, but place such weight on their dependents that the happiness loss would offset the gain of the insurance premiums. Well, the thought of that happiness loss I guess since they won't be around at that point.

This gets into loss aversion and how much happiness someone would forgo in order to insure against a specific value of unhappiness and let's insuance companies price above actuarial price in the absence of competition.

I didn't do great in my intermediate econ class, but this and intertemporal optimization I do recall.

Edit: you said expected value in your post, this whole thing is redundant as you also qualified for easily absorbed losses.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Zo posted:

Not if you know you're significantly more risky than the average person who buys the coverage.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Normally insurance for a bike or ring or whatever is just a rider on your home insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

potatoducks posted:

Shut up you guys.

You're right, my bad.