Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Shadow225 posted:

For all of you Gencon goons ( or anyone if you've played them for one reason or another), I would love to hear your impressions on the following if you see them:

Caverna: Cave versus Cave

I've played three games of Cave vs Cave and I like it. It's pretty much exactly what I expected. It's a tiny Uve game with familiar types of decisions. It plays quickly and without a lot of fiddly bits. It's got some straight-forward engine building, a bit of spatial placement stuff, and light interaction.

I've seen complaints about the replayability. In any given game, you're going to see every possible action and the majority of possible buildings appear, but they each appear in semi-random order. There seems to be enough combinations of actions and buildings to keep things fresh enough for a while, for me at least. I'd recommend it if you are an Uve fan and want a light game. Not the best 2P choice overall, but good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

please knock Mom! posted:

About to play some 4p Feast for Odin, any tips for the person who is last on year one?

Your first turn you should be angling for a 3-space, because occupation cards are more useful the earlier you get them. If people have already taken the free sheep, the 32 mountain, and the fruit market, you can probably poach some ore with the 3 mountain 1 trade and forge something.

Or if everybody has turboed to grab boats for islands or whatever, well, don't compete there. Build houses and explore the long-term potential of animal breeding.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

ShaneB posted:

So are the people who like to assess cards and refine decks and whatnot just replaying the same content over and over? I find the balance between the desire for deck refinement and the campaign style of the gameplay to be at interesting odds with each other.

Generally, yes, the replayability comes mostly from giving different deck ideas/investigator combinations a spin. The deck refinement vs campaign play tension is acknowledged and somewhat intentional - part of a point of having long campaigns is that each scenario can push different kinds of challenges, essentially requiring you to have a solid, well-rounded party, rather than silver bulleting non-human opposition left and right. Then again, the option to do so is accounted for.

The scenarios themselves do often have some variability - some scenarios have variant elements randomized at setup and some are modified by past performance/decisions. So far, I was impressed by these CYOA elements of the Dunwich campaign, and I think exploring their impact alone warrants a few playthroughs.

Having said that, if you're looking specifically for a deckbuilding challenge for a friendless loner, you might be better off stocking on the LoTR LCG, which is more similar to the classic MtG-like template. Arkham is like 2/3 LCG, 1/3 adventure game and there's a bit of a focus shift away from intricate deck theorycrafting to more involved table play - I mean, consider the very fact some 1/3-1/4 of player cards are gated behind XP cost, to be added sometime in-between scenarios. It's a godsend when playing with card newbies - it's co-op (much more palatable than getting repeatedly trashed by the more experienced player), you can quickly slap together something archetypal and then offer hints how to spend their few experience points at a time, so they can make meaningful, but not overwhelming decisions.

Honestly though, I don't feel particularly more restricted deckbuilding-wise than in the other LCGs I played (Netrunner, Star Wars) at this stage of the cardpool. I generally consider LCG cardpools to start being interesting by the end of the first cycle and the same timing seems to apply here - each ID presents a rough archetype, some start to branch out in different directions, a few gimmicks are undercooked. There's much less pack-to-pack deckbuilding excitement though, as most cards are dedicated to new scenario content.

Oh, I also play by the Space Alert rules and defer all the campaign decisions to the one person at the table who has no idea what's coming.

PS. If you do like to sit and theorycraft with all the fancy level 1+ cards, do remember the rules for standalone scenario play, which let you get starting xp in exchange for extra weaknesses. Do bear in mind some stuff might be meaningless without long-term consequences, so figure out if you want to gentlemen's agreement it or not. If you expect playing standalone a lot, I strongly recommend grabbing the POD standalone scenarios, as they're not only fully independent of any prior campaign decisions, but also assume investigators to be beefed up.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

silvergoose posted:

We had Codenames: Duet at VlaadaCon and have played a bunch since as well. It's good! The cards are effectively a real expansion deck for the base game (i.e. the cards in duet and the cards in base can be combined for either game perfectly well). The bit of extra logic is fantastic (you see three assassins, your partner sees three assassins, one is shared, one is a neutral on the other side, one is an agent on the other side, and three total agents are shared), lets you figure out which words they might be going for based on what you see.

There's a mini campaign of sorts, which really is just "here's a dozen variable difficulty level tweaks you can make to change your strategy".

Very good for a couple with a kid to play after the kid goes to bed but without the length of most euros.
There's so much good stuff about Duet that I almost wish it had been the starting original game. It's so much more of a puzzle and the fact that you can play it with just two is also a bonus.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lichtenstein posted:

Generally, yes, the replayability comes mostly from giving different deck ideas/investigator combinations a spin. The deck refinement vs campaign play tension is acknowledged and somewhat intentional - part of a point of having long campaigns is that each scenario can push different kinds of challenges, essentially requiring you to have a solid, well-rounded party, rather than silver bulleting non-human opposition left and right. Then again, the option to do so is accounted for.

Thanks for the detailed comments to my newb questions. I essentially got this game to have something (hopefully) fun to play with my wife and give us a reason to look forward to the next play. Like right now we are both excited to play the next session but have to pack for a move instead and it's kinda killing me. So I don't really need to grind out some solo play, but it's nice to have it as an option.

By deck refinement vs. campaign style balance I more meant the issue of refining ones deck to win more, but you would only really know how to win more by playing through scenarios in the first place. So, as an example, if I was like "I want to try this deck" I'd essentially be replaying or starting over the Core Set scenario, yeah? Once I have a deck set and start a scenario I'm supposed to be locked in, is my general understanding, and use XP to change/upgrade cards.

Basically I guess I will just do some light reading on beginner trap cards (like I guess those "spend 1 resource, get +1 to a particular check" cards are actually pretty inefficient, even though they seem to be a handy resource sink to me right now), and just play the drat game. If we want to replay it with more refined decks I guess we just do that. Is it seen as kosher to, say, use cards from the Dunwich expansion for a run-through of the Core Set scenario? I mean it's my drat game I can do what I want, but I'm not sure if that's what the designers had in mind.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 17, 2017

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
First, come hang out in the game's very own thread.

Second,

ShaneB posted:

By deck refinement vs. campaign style balance I more meant the issue of refining ones deck to win more, but you would only really know how to win more by playing through scenarios in the first place. So, as an example, if I was like "I want to try this deck" I'd essentially be replaying or starting over the Core Set scenario, yeah? Once I have a deck set and start a scenario I'm supposed to be locked in, is my general understanding, and use XP to change/upgrade cards.

Well, the general objective is nearly always the same: get clues, kill monsters, don't die tryin'. A lot of deck refinement is just taking the way your deck aims to do that and making it better and more consistent. Honestly, in practice scenario mastery comes less from pre-building and more from gameplay awareness - like knowing where tricky location effects might be, or what's the timing on the agendas.

But yeah, you're meant to start at scenario 1 of a given campaign with a locked deck and see how it gets incrementally upgraded and mangled.

quote:

Is it seen as kosher to, say, use cards from the Dunwich expansion for a run-through of the Core Set scenario? I mean it's my drat game I can do what I want, but I'm not sure if that's what the designers had in mind.

Yeah, you're meant to use whatever you have in the binder.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Glazius posted:

Your first turn you should be angling for a 3-space, because occupation cards are more useful the earlier you get them. If people have already taken the free sheep, the 32 mountain, and the fruit market, you can probably poach some ore with the 3 mountain 1 trade and forge something.

Or if everybody has turboed to grab boats for islands or whatever, well, don't compete there. Build houses and explore the long-term potential of animal breeding.

I disagree with this. The fruit market is never ever taken.

In general the first turn will mostly be wood gathering, ship building, and trying to get a 2x2+ tile to get two income. Do some of that, if you can.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lichtenstein posted:

First, come hang out in the game's very own thread.

Oh word. Sorry for cluttering this thread up, yall!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

So I finally decided to watch the Tom Vasel video for That's A Question! and yeah, I kind of agree with him that it's not going to have codename-level fame. There are a few Vlaada-isms in there and some smart design choices: the scoring kind of reminds me of Dixit, in reverse. The way it works is that one person both chooses a question (out of three) and 2 answers from their hand of answers. The person that got asked the question just picks which of the two options they would like, while everyone secretly votes what answer they think the person will pick. The interesting part is that the person that posed the question gets points for however many people get the answer wrong, so it is in his best interest to put something down that will make people struggle to pick the correct choice, which is kind of novel.

Overall though the game seems to be too much of a departure into bog-standard party games. The point of That's A Question! is to get funny "Why the hell would you pick that?!" responses and that's just not enough meat for me to purchase the game. Also the title of the game is awful.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Shadow225 posted:

For all of you Gencon goons ( or anyone if you've played them for one reason or another), I would love to hear your impressions on the following if you see them:

Caverna: Cave versus Cave
DBZ Minis Game
Cowboy Bebop game
Photosynthesis
Palace of Mad King Ludwig
Divinity Derby
Viral
Petrichor
Magic Maze
Sellswords Olympus
Codenames Duet
Unicornus Knights
I've played Petrichor and it is quite a novel area control game which allows for lots of opportunities to absolutely screw over your opponents. The basis of the game is that in a round you get a hand of cards, all of which allow for different actions. The actions include adding more raindrops to clouds, or creating new clouds, or moving those clouds or making drops rain from your clouds. The interesting part is that you can (and will) share clouds with others, and only rain on the ground actually score you points. There are different types of terrains: most need a minimum amount of rain drops to actually provide points and usually give points based on if you are first, second, third etc. You can do up to two actions in your turn, but if you do a second action, you have to play two cards that have the same action to do that action. if you don't have a particular card but still want to do that action, you can play any two cards to replace that card (no matter if it is your first or second action).

Playing cards, as well as given you action, also allows you to place voting tokens on one of 4 different weathers, with selection being limited by which card you played. When everyone has passed in a round (or run out of cards), which ever weather has the most votes happens (and the person with the most voting tokens on that weather gets bonus points). The weather can double the amount of raindrops in a cloud for all players, or force clouds to rain or move raindrops that are already on the ground etc.

Overall I'm not the hugest fan of area control games but this one was light, had an interesting theme, and was still quite vicious.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

Has anyone heard of Wasteland Express Delivery Service? And is it good?

All I know about it (aside from the theme, which is apparent from the name) is that it comes with custom trays included, so I hope it's successful and widely imitated!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Picked up Mice & Mystics for $38 and Through the Ages w/ upgrade kit for $16. Am I board gaming right?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Well, I nabbed Tragedy Looper today as my first purchase at Gen Con, but I was kinda sad that Z-Man didn't have Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu this year. Still looking to pick up Mysterium and I saw Ares was doing demos for This War of Mine. So I think I'm gonna check that out tomorrow.

It's easy to get overwhelmed at Gen Con, I tell ya what.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Through the Ages w/ upgrade kit for $16.

I'll give you $17

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
76 on feast for Odin, and it was pretty fun with four! Winner got 79, and it was all really close with the last player coming in at 67. I went for an early knarr, got Iceland, and emigrated a lot. Didn't fill up my board enough and got like 21 negative points, but that's for next time. We all loved the game though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

silvergoose posted:

I disagree with this. The fruit market is never ever taken.

In general the first turn will mostly be wood gathering, ship building, and trying to get a 2x2+ tile to get two income. Do some of that, if you can.

Solo and for 2 the fruit market's underpowered, yeah, but in a larger game it's part of a little safe-play trajectory, setting you up to make good use out of 4 mountains 2x2 trade to get an occupation card out the next round. It's one of the few 4-spaces with no prerequisites, and it can drop some big coverage down early if you have big red or orange tiles. Like fruit.

please knock Mom! posted:

76 on feast for Odin, and it was pretty fun with four! Winner got 79, and it was all really close with the last player coming in at 67. I went for an early knarr, got Iceland, and emigrated a lot. Didn't fill up my board enough and got like 21 negative points, but that's for next time. We all loved the game though.

Ah, cool, glad you liked it. Were you playing the game short (6 rounds) or long (7)?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Long, mainly because we were new and it was the normal format.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Medium Style posted:

I've played three games of Cave vs Cave and I like it. It's pretty much exactly what I expected. It's a tiny Uve game with familiar types of decisions. It plays quickly and without a lot of fiddly bits. It's got some straight-forward engine building, a bit of spatial placement stuff, and light interaction.

I've seen complaints about the replayability. In any given game, you're going to see every possible action and the majority of possible buildings appear, but they each appear in semi-random order. There seems to be enough combinations of actions and buildings to keep things fresh enough for a while, for me at least. I'd recommend it if you are an Uve fan and want a light game. Not the best 2P choice overall, but good.

I bought it today at Gencon and agree completely. Solid little engine builder that borders on abstract. Not as good as Agricola All Creatures Big and Small with expansions, better than AACBaS vanilla. hopefully Cave vs Cave also gets a small expansion of two.

Also played a lot of Feast for Odin this week. Two 4 player games and one three player game. The only strategy I can really do well with is crafting/upgrading heavy play. Everything else I fall flat with.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Skypie posted:

Well, I nabbed Tragedy Looper today as my first purchase at Gen Con, but I was kinda sad that Z-Man didn't have Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu this year. Still looking to pick up Mysterium and I saw Ares was doing demos for This War of Mine. So I think I'm gonna check that out tomorrow.

It's easy to get overwhelmed at Gen Con, I tell ya what.

I definitely saw Pandemic Cthulhu somewhere on the floor. If I can find it again I'll give you a heads up.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Fat Samurai posted:

We're planning to play BSG tomorrow, but we're not sure of the player count yet. I know 5 is the magic number, but is the game workable with 4 or 6? There were alternative rules for the sympathiser in the case of 4 players, IIRC.

We lost (all five of us) during the first jump. :smith:

Then we played CitOW. And I won :unsmith:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

I definitely saw Pandemic Cthulhu somewhere on the floor. If I can find it again I'll give you a heads up.

Cool. I didn't look too hard outside of Zman. My fiancee had to work and I didn't want to do much without her. I'll be digging in deep later this afternoon.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Fat Samurai posted:

How? :psyduck:

I know poo poo can spiral out of control in BSG with very bad luck, but what lead to a 5-human fleet dying in the first jump?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

nimby posted:

How? :psyduck:

I know poo poo can spiral out of control in BSG with very bad luck, but what lead to a 5-human fleet dying in the first jump?

3 first crises were Cylon Attacks, first player was Helo, second and third players (Zarek and Baltar) didn't have any XO to get Lee out there and swinging (because of bad luck and being in the infirmary), most of our Vipers were KO'ed by the start of turn 3, lost 1 raptor trying to scout the deck, we jumped on -3 pop and failed... Everything that could go wrong , did.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Toshimo posted:

Picked up Mice & Mystics for $38 and Through the Ages w/ upgrade kit for $16. Am I board gaming right?

Where did you get Through the Ages at that price?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Rad Valtar posted:

Probably a similar place to where a friend of mine found Mage Knight in good condition for $1.56.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rad Valtar posted:

GenCon game auction.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think I'm finally done with Through the Ages. Somehow played a 5 hour four player game (one player was new) that left everyone drained and stunned. I'm not experienced enough with the new version but there has to be something seriously wrong in the distribution or balance of the cards because essentially what happened in Age 3 is that one player got 70+ military in a single turn then started two culture wars back to back, propelling him from >50 points to 150+ points. I never had this experience in the original game but every time I play the new one Age 3 is always a cluster gently caress that it ruins any semblance of fun I have with it. If I play again we're done at Age 2, but I'm seriously tired of this slow rear end fiddly one deck market row game.

The first real day of Gencon was absolutely frustrating as someone whose only con experience is Origins. It is shoulder to shoulder, three hours lines to get into makeshift stores where maybe the game you want is there. It's like Black Friday times 10 except nerds move too slowly to actually trample anyone.

Thankfully the actual exhibitor rooms are completely empty. I got around to learning Princes of Florence, another winner by objectively best Euro designer Wolfgang Kramer, and Navegador which may replace Concordia in my group's rotation. The auction hall has been an absolute blast, I scored a mint copy of Discworld Ankh-Morpork and Combat Commander Pacific for a song. Met an eccentric old wargame designer who runs a group in the DC area that I'll be checking out when I get back home. Got pretty wasted and played pairs with James Ernest who overheard our loud group shouting "AW, LEMONS!" Stared daggers at a guy who was either Patrick Rothfuss or Patrick Rothfuss' body double.

Basically I'm having a blast playing games and should not have tried actually buying games because haha gently caress that exhibitor hall.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

rydiafan posted:

I'll give you $17

Counterpoint: new Through the Ages is coming to iOS and Android on Sept 14. If it's even half as good as the Galaxy Trucker app and expansion app, I'm getting it.

By some wizardry, Barnes and Nobles says they have Magic Maze in stores already. I like real time board games, but my typical group complains it is too loud to play Space Alert. So Magic Maze should be a good plan B.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

al-azad posted:

The first real day of Gencon was absolutely frustrating as someone whose only con experience is Origins. It is shoulder to shoulder, three hours lines to get into makeshift stores where maybe the game you want is there. It's like Black Friday times 10 except nerds move too slowly to actually trample anyone.
I always wonder why the hell people go to Gencon to buy stuff that'll be readily available online or at their LGS in a couple months anyway. :psyduck: Isn't the whole point to try out new games so you can see whether or not you want to buy them later? Aside from the auction area, of course. I'm glad my area has a couple stores and events that do board game auctions.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

The FFG Star Wars tease: https://www.instagram.com/p/BX8CDmdlDzP/

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

al-azad posted:

I think I'm finally done with Through the Ages. Somehow played a 5 hour four player game (one player was new) that left everyone drained and stunned. I'm not experienced enough with the new version but there has to be something seriously wrong in the distribution or balance of the cards because essentially what happened in Age 3 is that one player got 70+ military in a single turn then started two culture wars back to back, propelling him from >50 points to 150+ points. I never had this experience in the original game but every time I play the new one Age 3 is always a cluster gently caress that it ruins any semblance of fun I have with it. If I play again we're done at Age 2, but I'm seriously tired of this slow rear end fiddly one deck market row game.

I love the game but I think I'd pass playing it above 3 players. How the heck did someone get over 70 might in one turn? Combo of a lot of mines/unused population/leader? Seems very lucky is so or unlucky in your case. The game is designed so you can play without aggression and it's still fun.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Fat Samurai posted:

Fat Samurai posted:

3 first crises were Cylon Attacks, first player was Helo, second and third players (Zarek and Baltar) didn't have any XO to get Lee out there and swinging (because of bad luck and being in the infirmary), most of our Vipers were KO'ed by the start of turn 3, lost 1 raptor trying to scout the deck, we jumped on -3 pop and failed... Everything that could go wrong , did.

God I've missed BSG warstories.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Some Numbers posted:

God I've missed BSG warstories.

You know what you must do. :heysexy:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Toshimo posted:

You know what you must do. :heysexy:

I'm not modding another game of BSG. Not with the tools we have available.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Skypie posted:

Cool. I didn't look too hard outside of Zman. My fiancee had to work and I didn't want to do much without her. I'll be digging in deep later this afternoon.

Hot Sauce Games near the back of 2200s has it. Big magic and Pop figure booth but they have games on the table.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Board games are DOTD on Amazon today: https://t.co/HkeiU40d1y

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Some Numbers posted:

Describe the tool I need to build.

Describe it to me, good.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Toshimo posted:

Describe the tool I need to build.

Describe it to me, good.

A table and 5 other people to sit around it with you

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

I was reading the archived BSG thread and 50% of the posts were you complaining about not being able to run some program on a Mac. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Hot Sauce Games near the back of 2200s has it. Big magic and Pop figure booth but they have games on the table.

What a weird place for it to be. I'll check it out. Thanks, Bottom Liner!