Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'll make an attempt at a new OP tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I've got an old AMD FX/Vishera PC kicking around, if I chuck a 1080Ti in it, am I going to get full performance out of the GPU on the 16x PCIE-2.0 bus, over a 16x PCIE-3?

I don't think it will, but I'd like to confirm my math:

I think a 16x2.0 will do 8GB/s and 16x3.0 will double that to 16GB/s.

A 1080 Ti over Thunderbolt 3, is effectively 4x3.0 which is 4GB/s, and has a ~30% performance penalty. So there's definitely some extra bandwidth there.

But this poo poo is never as simple as that is it?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Horse Clocks posted:

I've got an old AMD FX/Vishera PC kicking around, if I chuck a 1080Ti in it, am I going to get full performance out of the GPU on the 16x PCIE-2.0 bus, over a 16x PCIE-3?

I don't think it will, but I'd like to confirm my math:

I think a 16x2.0 will do 8GB/s and 16x3.0 will double that to 16GB/s.

A 1080 Ti over Thunderbolt 3, is effectively 4x3.0 which is 4GB/s, and has a ~30% performance penalty. So there's definitely some extra bandwidth there.

But this poo poo is never as simple as that is it?

A 1080Ti with a pre-Ryzen AMD CPU evokes thoughts of a Ferrari transmission mated to a Civic LX engine, with the Civic using H-rated tires. A 1050Ti would be a better mate to that config, unless you're ~6 months from upgrading the whole system and can grandfather the Ti into that. Otherwise you're buying at the top of the market and that GPU will be limited by the Vishera.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'll make an attempt at a new OP tonight.

Thanks. We really need a full reset of everything to take into account the current GPU market and 6-core Intel launching in 4 days to compete with surprisingly good R5 and R7 AMD CPUs.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Thanks. We really need a full reset of everything to take into account the current GPU market and 6-core Intel launching in 4 days to compete with surprisingly good R5 and R7 AMD CPUs.

Yeah, I'm planning on covering the big things, like telling people it's about to be the best time to upgrade in years (except with regards to GPU/RAM prices), Microcenter prebuilts for those near one, ~did you knows~ about not having to buy a new $100-150 Windows 10 license, how Ryzen and Threadripper aren't cancer so long as you're smart about configs, etc., etc.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, I'm planning on covering the big things, like telling people it's about to be the best time to upgrade in years (except with regards to GPU/RAM prices), Microcenter prebuilts for those near one, ~did you knows~ about not having to buy a new $100-150 Windows 10 license, how Ryzen and Threadripper aren't cancer so long as you're smart about configs, etc., etc.

You're a hero. I've been wanting to upgrade my ivy core for a while now and all your advice on the new coffee lake CPU's have saved me from making bad impulse decisions. Now if only the GPU market could settle down. I just want a good gaming card for under 300$. I look forward to actually posting in this thread for real next month with my potential build.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

There's a fair bit from the OP I'll be able to keep. Some of it simply needs a bit of tweaking. I'm going to rough draft it first before posting it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wait, is that 8350 actually going to be a current generation (not top end) i7 for i3 prices? :eyepop:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

El Generico posted:

I'm guessing I'm gonna end up with an i3-8350K. If that's still $170 for an overclockable 4Ghz quad core, that'll finally be what gets me off my 2500K.

:same:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

A 1080Ti with a pre-Ryzen AMD CPU evokes thoughts of a Ferrari transmission mated to a Civic LX engine, with the Civic using H-rated tires.

also please make sure the new OP is chock full of :iiaca:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The V2 to V1 conversion kit/bios mod for 6 core coffee lakes is going to cause some real good :yum:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I haven't paid much attention to video cards since I got my nvidia 980Ti a while back. It chugs at 1440p on high detail, though (at least enough to stay below 144hz consistently, and often below 60 depending on game), and my current monitor is also Freesync, not G-Sync. What's the situation with AMD cards nowadays? Anything worth the upgrade, potentially? Googling is rough at work but something called the RX Vega, maybe??

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Yeah, I'm wondering how that new i3-8350k stacks up against say Ryzen 1500x, or 1600, which are likely comparable in price (assuming the i3 doesn't come with a cooler).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I haven't paid much attention to video cards since I got my nvidia 980Ti a while back. It chugs at 1440p on high detail, though (at least enough to stay below 144hz consistently, and often below 60 depending on game), and my current monitor is also Freesync, not G-Sync. What's the situation with AMD cards nowadays? Anything worth the upgrade, potentially? Googling is rough at work but something called the RX Vega, maybe??

Vega is literally a tire fire in GPU format. Stay far, far away. A 1070 is supposed to be the sweet spot for 1440p gaming, but I'm not sure that would actually be any better than your 980Ti.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Arivia posted:

Vega is literally a tire fire in GPU format. Stay far, far away. A 1070 is supposed to be the sweet spot for 1440p gaming, but I'm not sure that would actually be any better than your 980Ti.

Would an RX 580 be at least a side-grade that gets me access to FreeSync, possibly? I can look up benchmarks when I get home from work, I suppose.

Darn, that's frustrating that certain games can't keep up without lowering quality options. :(

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Don't be afraid of eBay if you wanna save some money:
*snip*
Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions. I still have to hear back from her about what she wants to do now, but I'll look into those options and see what else is available.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wait, is that 8350 actually going to be a current generation (not top end) i7 for i3 prices? :eyepop:

It's more analogous to an i5-7600K, since there's no hyperthreading. 4 cores, 4 threads. 8MB SmartCache, 4GHz base frequency.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Ciaphas posted:

Would an RX 580 be at least a side-grade that gets me access to FreeSync, possibly? I can look up benchmarks when I get home from work, I suppose.

Darn, that's frustrating that certain games can't keep up without lowering quality options. :(

No, it would be a downgrade.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

El Generico posted:

It's more analogous to an i5-7600K, since there's no hyperthreading. 4 cores, 4 threads. 8MB SmartCache, 4GHz base frequency.

Ah, okay. I thought the 7600 was still an i7.

Excluding mobile processors, I've only ever had i3s. Still, with how incremental CPU improvements have been over the past few generations, that's still a huge change.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I recently decided I want to upgrade most of my computer. Still have the 2500k (oc'd to 4.4 or 4.5 I think?) but it's 6 years old and everything but the 970 and hard drives is probably due to be replaced.

I saw that the new intel chips are due out (or a release date will be announced?) next week. I've never bought a recently released chip, is this going to be a pain to track down or will they just be readily available on amazon?

Also my computer started making a weird rattle/ticking noise tonight and I just shut it off. Hopefully it's a case fan or something. Either way I'm looking forward to the new OP and the new i5s.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

zelah posted:

I recently decided I want to upgrade most of my computer. Still have the 2500k (oc'd to 4.4 or 4.5 I think?) but it's 6 years old and everything but the 970 and hard drives is probably due to be replaced.

I saw that the new intel chips are due out (or a release date will be announced?) next week. I've never bought a recently released chip, is this going to be a pain to track down or will they just be readily available on amazon?

Also my computer started making a weird rattle/ticking noise tonight and I just shut it off. Hopefully it's a case fan or something. Either way I'm looking forward to the new OP and the new i5s.

Speaking of the new OP, I'm in the process of seeing what in the original OP is salvageable. I hope to have it ready by Sunday, but I didn't get home until later than expected tonight.

As for the Coffee Lakes, eventually retailers will put up pre-orders, but one suspicion I've had as to why Intel isn't shouting from the rooftops about it is that their yields might not have panned out the way they planned, and getting your hands on the first batch might be challenging. I've nothing to base that on, but it's just a guess/conjecture. Just based on the fact that it's still a 14nm chip with two additional cores at the high end means less cores per wafer over Kaby Lake.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Thanks. I'm in no real rush (unless that ticking turns into smoke) so I'll see what they have to say Monday and be prepared to wait a couple months.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

No, it would be a downgrade.

Righto then, guess I'm holding tight for now. Freesync will have to wait.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Ciaphas posted:

Righto then, guess I'm holding tight for now. Freesync will have to wait.

Just get g-sync. AMD refuses to put together an attractive product stack together for years, we have goons who bought Freesync monitors years ago and are still on Nvidia cards. That extra $200 g-sync tax sucks at the time but you get a great product and you're no longer wanting and waiting.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Looking to build a relatively cheap Mini ITX rig for Solidworks, I have most of the base specs nailed down but I am unsure on a graphics card, its between a 1050 and 1060. Goons pls steer me the right way

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

McSpergin posted:

Looking to build a relatively cheap Mini ITX rig for Solidworks, I have most of the base specs nailed down but I am unsure on a graphics card, its between a 1050 and 1060. Goons pls steer me the right way

split the difference and get a 1050ti :eng101:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

zelah posted:

Back your poo poo up ASAP, even odds you have a harddrive with a dodgy head.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I finally received every part for my new PC but the graphics card. I couldn't wait and put everything together with the old one.

Apparently the CPU and RAM made a difference because games are running faster and of course everything else runs like butter. I'm glad to be back with AMD (Ryzen 1700) after a decade. The graphics card incoming is a GeForce 1080 GTX. I was running at 2500K and DDR3 RAM. I think the faster RAM and CPU is making a big impact.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Without seeing the final products, is there a good way to narrow down the list of candidates of high-end motherboards for a 8700K to help me beat the preorder rush?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Back your poo poo up ASAP, even odds you have a harddrive with a dodgy head.

Back it up, but the other side of the even odds says that a cable wiggled itself into a position where it's getting hit by a fan. I used to have that problem a lot with a case that had no provisions for cable management and a non modular PSU.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

ufarn posted:

Without seeing the final products, is there a good way to narrow down the list of candidates of high-end motherboards for a 8700K to help me beat the preorder rush?

They will be called Z370 motherboards (usually appending something for form factor like Z370m for micro ATX or Z370i for ITX, check the 270 series for each company to learn their nomenclature) and the most feature/price competitive tends to be ASRock, Asus, and MSI. Gigabyte seems to have slightly worse reliability issues and EVGA usually has much less features (i.e. no Wi-Fi or Thunderbolt on a board when everyone else in it's class has it).

If you're trying to get the best bang for the buck ASRock is almost always the one, if money is no object then the best board is often MSI or Asus, God help you if you need to RMA with Asus they are especially dumb at it.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Got my box o parts today.

Getting ready to start plugging poo poo in while I "work from home"

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

They will be called Z370 motherboards (usually appending something for form factor like Z370m for micro ATX or Z370i for ITX, check the 270 series for each company to learn their nomenclature) and the most feature/price competitive tends to be ASRock, Asus, and MSI. Gigabyte seems to have slightly worse reliability issues and EVGA usually has much less features (i.e. no Wi-Fi or Thunderbolt on a board when everyone else in it's class has it).

If you're trying to get the best bang for the buck ASRock is almost always the one, if money is no object then the best board is often MSI or Asus, God help you if you need to RMA with Asus they are especially dumb at it.
Thanks a bunch, that makes my job a lot easier.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

Just get g-sync. AMD refuses to put together an attractive product stack together for years, we have goons who bought Freesync monitors years ago and are still on Nvidia cards. That extra $200 g-sync tax sucks at the time but you get a great product and you're no longer wanting and waiting.

It's that dire, huh? I'll consider it then.

While I'm spending money, I don't suppose a 1070 or 1080 is a particularly significant upgrade over my 980ti for 1440p@144, is it? :v:

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Ciaphas posted:

While I'm spending money, I don't suppose a 1070 or 1080 is a particularly significant upgrade over my 980ti for 1440p@144, is it? :v:

I wouldn't bother, especially not at current card prices.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

The 1070 offers 980Ti performance at better thermals. 1080s have had some insane deals over the past few months, but that was before the buttcoin bubble. I would hold onto your 980Ti for as long as the warranty covers it - hopefully by that point we'll know more about Volta. But right now nVidia knows they don't have to rush consumer-grade Volta because "Team Red" is making GBS threads the bed.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The 1070 offers 980Ti performance at better thermals. 1080s have had some insane deals over the past few months, but that was before the buttcoin bubble. I would hold onto your 980Ti for as long as the warranty covers it - hopefully by that point we'll know more about Volta. But right now nVidia knows they don't have to rush consumer-grade Volta because "Team Red" is making GBS threads the bed.

Blarg. My need to not turn down quality settings in games like Prey is competing with my need to not be stupid with money.

Oh well, the latter will win out. Thanks all for the information :(

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Blarg. My need to not turn down quality settings in games like Prey is competing with my need to not be stupid with money.

Oh well, the latter will win out. Thanks all for the information :(

Hey, maybe the RMA fairy will visit you and you'll get a 1080 as a replacement. But yeah, the only upgrade a 1070 gets you is 2GB of extra frame buffer and less heat in your case.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'll probably be getting a new Intel + motherboard/RAM/case since my 3570k is pushing 5 years. I use my two SSDs for gaming, and mostly use my 1 TB HDD for Plex & games that don't need SSDs. Is it a bad idea to store videos and such on a SSD for Plex? I'm wondering if I should replace the HDD with a 1 TB SSD or new HDD. I wish NVMe SSDs were more affordable, I'd just put one of those in for my boot drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mr E posted:

I'll probably be getting a new Intel + motherboard/RAM/case since my 3570k is pushing 5 years. I use my two SSDs for gaming, and mostly use my 1 TB HDD for Plex & games that don't need SSDs. Is it a bad idea to store videos and such on a SSD for Plex? I'm wondering if I should replace the HDD with a 1 TB SSD or new HDD. I wish NVMe SSDs were more affordable, I'd just put one of those in for my boot drive.

It's only the 1TB+ NVMe drives that are still commanding premiums, if you can settle for a 500GB boot drive, they're affordable. There'll also eventually be 22110 M.2 drives that might make higher capacities possible while making existing capacities cheaper since there'll be more space on the very small PCB to use larger/cheaper NAND.

If I were building my own box today I'd go with twin M.2 drives - one 1TB WD Blue in the SATA-keyed slot and a 960 EVO in the NVMe-only one. Simply to save on having to run, route, and manage four extra leads.