Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The main problem with getting Paul out is just that he's done a good job dividing up trusts in the house so that there's no one person you can put him against who has unified votes. Assuming one of Marlena has HOH here's what any nom combo looks like IMO.

Paul vs Kevin
Evict Paul: Marlena, maybe Jason
Evict Kevin: Christmas, Josh, Matt, Raven, Alex

Paul vs Alex/Jason
Evict Paul: Marlena, Alex/Jason, maybe Kevin
Evict: Alex/Jason: Christmas, Josh, Matt, Raven

Paul vs Maven
Evict Paul: Marlena, Maven
Evict Maven: Alex, Jason, Christmas, Josh, Kevin

Paul vs Josh/Christmas
Evict Paul: Marlena, maybe Josh/Christmas, maybe Kevin (but probably not)
Evict Josh/Christmas: Alex, Jason, Matt, Raven

Like, you can argue "Paul is a big threat and he's running things" all you want, but he's spent the last 6 weeks building trust with all those people and making sure they believe he has their backs over each other. Maybe a savvy player could spend a week pushing that but Mark and Elena have never shown that ability and the DE works against them for it. Its why I think a Christmas or Alex would have to make the move because they could influence people, but neither seems to be looking to do it soon. And I don't really think its in either's best interests to do it soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Also there's an announcement across the feeds ticker that says feeds will be done until after the special Friday episode. So odds are we'll get a longer HOH like the egg roll one after the DE but we won't get to see it. Which sucks.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah I agree that it would take Christmas or Alex making that move to have it stick since they've made the most inroads outside of Paul with the other players. Everyone else has an axe to grind with someone.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

STAC Goat posted:

Also there's an announcement across the feeds ticker that says feeds will be done until after the special Friday episode. So odds are we'll get a longer HOH like the egg roll one after the DE but we won't get to see it. Which sucks.

I've stopped watching the feeds, but this poo poo is really dumb. OH we are going to have a special Friday episode so we can't have the feeds on for 24 hours, otherwise nobody would watch our lovely Friday episode.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I assume the Friday episode was a placeholder in case they did a Jury Battle Back but with Megan DORing and the Hex getting played somehow the math doesn't add up for that to work so we'll get some silly thing like last year's Ziggy Marley concert or a recap episode like at F3.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The more I read the more I wish Christmas hadn't broken her foot as she would have tossed Paul awhile ago.

Josh should win at this point in a bitter jury against Paul.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Alex had another mini fight with Cody. Not really a fight. I don't know what it was. Cody was reading a Bible and Alex was delivering hot dogs and she told Cody that she'd always been nice to him and he's nominated her and tried to get her evicted so its pretty messed up she was a dick to her that for "reading the Bible like that." Cody just sort of apologized for nothing in particular and said he "wasn't reading the Bible for her" and Alex accepted it and walked away. I have no idea what it was about since I haven't been watching. It might have been residual anger for CerealGate or Alex might have just been bored? Or maybe there's some kind of passive aggressive weirdness with Bible reading? Everyone else in the house seemed just about as confused but pretty nonplussed.

As said, its very tedious and thankfully this leg of it is almost over. Tomorrow will not only get rid of Cody but will either get rid of one of Marlena and hopefully open the game up a little more or a Marlena DE HOH might have shaken the house up a little. Either way in a season where no one ever seems to get evicted I'm actually kind of excited for 2 people to get evicted tomorrow.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Looking back through the day. Seeing if I missed much. Not a lot but a few little tidbits.

- Cody is planning to call out Alex and Jason during the live show and "blow up their games." I have no idea what he thinks he could have on them but they've shared all their talks with the rest so the worst he could do is his delusional "they owe me from Week 1" stuff. He told Mark he was going to get the target off them and Mark kind half hearted tried to talk him out of it and told him he overestimates the power of his words.

Elena: He said he's going to call out Alex and Jason.
Mark: Why?! Sometimes i don't know if i want to hug him or punch him. He's one of a kind.

- Alex and Maven were discussing how Christmas is a lot "better" since she got off the pain meds. Matt brought up the fight they had weeks ago and Alex brought up one of theirs. Its kind of notable in that it seems to further cement that Christmas has cleaned up her social game on that side of the house.

- They played a shuffleboard game this morning so that's probably the DE POV.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

"Call out on live show and blow up their game", the 500th time the threat has been made and never been done.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The fact that Jason has never said "Oh Yeah" in his outfit

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Eltoasto posted:

"Call out on live show and blow up their game", the 500th time the threat has been made and never been done.

They did it's just that it's usually a terrible call out. I don't think anyone even blinked when Jess "called out" Paul during her eviction.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Max posted:

They did it's just that it's usually a terrible call out. I don't think anyone even blinked when Jess "called out" Paul during her eviction.

I cracked up at Mark's DR later where he was all "Oh man, what's Paul gonna do now that Jess just blew his game up?!"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The problem is that calling a HG out works if you have actually damaging dirt on them or some information that could change people's opinions of them. But if you had that then why would you wait until the last possible moment when the votes are already more or less locked in? If you had real dirt you'd use it long before then to try and turn the votes. Live show callouts are usually just petty indignant name calling to make the evictee feel better about losing.

Every once and awhile a HG has real dirt to call out, but if they did it means they were probably too dumb to use it when it could help them. But Cody hasn't been in the game for a month and doesn't seem to have any more dirt than Jessica did.

ShakeZula posted:

I cracked up at Mark's DR later where he was all "Oh man, what's Paul gonna do now that Jess just blew his game up?!"

I mean, he's the same guy who spent the last week telling Maven that he was worried about Paul, Alex, and Jason, telling Alex and Jason that he was worried about Maven, and telling Paul that he was worried about everyone. But he'll act surprised and indignant if tonight they call him out on that.

Which they are tentatively planning on doing. Paul, Christmas, Josh, Alex, and Jason have been trying to convince Matt to call out Mark for targeting him this week because they want Matt to finally get his hands dirty and not be able to keep playing the middle. Paul was pushing for him to do it during the live show and he'd bring up that Mark was targeting him to Maven. Sadly we'll see none of this since it will either happen during the chaos of DE or in the no feeds time between the Thursday and Friday shows.

I hate Friday shows.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 17, 2017

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Jessica will be a guest on RHAP in about 5 minutes if anyone needs more salt in their diet.

http://robhasawebsite.com/big-brother-19-thursday-eviction-recap-live-feed-update/

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Robnoxious posted:

Jessica will be a guest on RHAP in about 5 minutes if anyone needs more salt in their diet.

http://robhasawebsite.com/big-brother-19-thursday-eviction-recap-live-feed-update/

Oh good, because Brent is a candyass in love with Jody for some reason?

loving :barf:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Truth: Brent is my least favorite LFC member. I like that Taran like Mitchell and Webb so that makes him cool in my book.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm a little unreasonably annoyed that they skipped CerealGate and went right to Elena's part and I'm not sure if its more because I sincerely want to see how that fight started or if I'm just super salty about how transparently production was protecting Cody there the last few weeks.

I'm glad I don't really care about RHAP's BB coverage so I'm not even remotely tempted to listen to Jessica.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I like Taran. He has reasonable opinions and his overnight/morning updates are nice to throw on while I'm getting ready for the day. Beats radio jockeys.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

STAC Goat posted:

I'm glad I don't really care about RHAP's BB coverage so I'm not even remotely tempted to listen to Jessica.

It would have been been more tolerable if Brent wasn't on the show today, but for what little it's worth she's still a better guest than Glenn.

Propaganda Machine posted:

I like Taran. He has reasonable opinions and his overnight/morning updates are nice to throw on while I'm getting ready for the day. Beats radio jockeys.

Agreed. One of the other LFC members seems to be the voice of the Reddit stans at times, but it's nothing unbearable and it's mindless content for when I'm working.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

"They just want to play it safe and are afraid to make a move" they say after making terrible moves that ostracized them from the house and did almost nothing to fix that even though it was plainly a terrible idea.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Jess and Cody sucked at Big Brother but she's kind of the voice of a lot of the fans now because everyone is so sick of Paul's complete control of the house. For the two months during which Jody were continuously being evicted they were at least against Paul (even though they didn't even nominate him!) so people like to hear Jessica say now the same sort of things they're saying about how useless Matt and Raven are, how dumb Alex is, etc

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

At this point, Big Brother should just give Paul a crown IMO and officially make him the king of the house.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Paul hasn't really done anything other than not be the biggest target, aside from egging Josh on repeatedly, and egging the house on when they are already pissed. People are really exaggerating Paul's role this season so far. He's done an excellent job of keeping people focused on their prime targets, and he has never been wrong this season about that, because Jody have gone out of their way to piss everyone off, and so did Elena. In a normal season you'd instead probably have had Jody going deep into the game as the usual house ADD kicks in and people start wanting everyone who blinked wrong out of the house.

There was way too much safety this season, but I will say seeing a house actually focused on getting their targets out and succeeding for once has been refreshing to some degree. It just took way too long because the actual show side of things this year has been rear end.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Mark is a "flake" and Paul is "trying to screw everyone" but really, the story is how inflexible almost everyone else is, including Jess and Cody. I don't think the guy who makes those alliance diagram things is even trying this year? One of the only big developments I can think of in the last couple weeks is Alex and Jason casting Kevin out for being insufficiently loyal (to Paul, not to themselves, though Kevin still thinks he has a F2 with Paul anyway).

I think the "fight scenes" keep the big group in line. It's a huge emotional bonding thing. Why shore up your own position in your huge unwieldy forever-alliance when you can circle up and go after the house pariahs for calling the fat guy who always screams at them fat, taking money after winning a competition, using a power to save their house boyfriend, eating the wrong food, having a daughter etc. It gives you all the warm fuzzy feeling you need when you're probably not too optimistic about your own game, how you're perceived outside the house etc.

For that reason I would say it will shape out to be more exciting after the last pariah (Mark) leaves, but I think enough of them (Matt/Kevin/Jason) have enough house fatigue to just kind of accept their spots in the boot order.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ToastyPotato posted:

Paul hasn't really done anything other than not be the biggest target,
You gotta be kidding, Paul is running this poo poo. He's got the Alex/Jason/(Kevin) alliance, he's got the Maven alliance, he's got the Christmas/Josh alliance. He's in all the alliances!

There's no one you could put him next to that would send him home. No one else is connected to everyone like that.

ToastyPotato posted:

There was way too much safety this season, but I will say seeing a house actually focused on getting their targets out and succeeding for once has been refreshing to some degree. It just took way too long because the actual show side of things this year has been rear end.
the "house" should not have targets, individuals should. We're in jury now! Alex, for example, would ordinarily be dumb to evict Cody because he was not going to go after her or Jason, while Elena might have and had just betrayed her. But because nobody wants to go against "the house" aka Paul, she put Cody up and out he went.

in the circumstances, it might have made sense for her to do that, just like it might have made sense for Matt to veto Jason and remain up there on the block himself, but all of that is because of Paul, because of the work Paul does to keep everyone in line and keep the targets irredeemable. If someone thought for themselves too much, they'd be next and they're aware of that. Paul is running this season as much as any single individual possibly can run a season and while that could change before the end I don't see it happening any time soon.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 18, 2017

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Fat Lowtax posted:

Mark is a "flake" and Paul is "trying to screw everyone" but really, the story is how inflexible almost everyone else is, including Jess and Cody. I don't think the guy who makes those alliance diagram things is even trying this year? One of the only big developments I can think of in the last couple weeks is Alex and Jason casting Kevin out for being insufficiently loyal (to Paul, not to themselves, though Kevin still thinks he has a F2 with Paul anyway).

I think the "fight scenes" keep the big group in line. It's a huge emotional bonding thing. Why shore up your own position in your huge unwieldy forever-alliance when you can circle up and go after the house pariahs for calling the fat guy who always screams at them fat, taking money after winning a competition, using a power to save their house boyfriend, eating the wrong food, having a daughter etc. It gives you all the warm fuzzy feeling you need when you're probably not too optimistic about your own game, how you're perceived outside the house etc.

For that reason I would say it will shape out to be more exciting after the last pariah (Mark) leaves, but I think enough of them (Matt/Kevin/Jason) have enough house fatigue to just kind of accept their spots in the boot order.
I agree with you but this is another thing Paul is doing, he makes the pariahs. Outside of Jody who mostly did it to themselves, he made Dom a pariah for example and he's already working on Kevin. He finds something in a person's behavior and then tells all the other players, "Can you believe this person?! Can you believe what they did?" and everyone else responds, "Wow, I can't believe them! They're next!" So Kevin did get the $25k and did throw that hinkie vote, but it's Paul who's gonna make a game move out of it (weeks later) by making Kevin the next untouchable.

He's already started on getting Matt and Raven up next on the list even though they are boring mindless soldiers, but we're seeing that's exactly what he's getting them for, "these people who do nothing and play the middle," and others agree. But he also still has them as options in case someone else gets too brave. It's very good. I've hated him when he pushes the mob mentality too far into abusive behavior but he's really got these people in the palm of his hand and is systematically casting one out at a time, and nobody is poised to stop it, and the only people willing to call it out are the ones already in the crosshairs, while everyone else assumes they're fine.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 18, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Paul doesn't make pariahs. He'd like to but he doesn't have that kind of power.

Dom made herself a pariah by first exposing their alliance to everyone in a bizarre "interview" with Cody, then dragging people into rooms to interrogating them about "betraying" her, and then throwing Elena under the bus to Alex. Paul pushed it when it was already happening but Dom did it to herself. And people have made up this fiction that Paul ran that week. He wanted Ramses out that week. Alex insisted from the go that she was putting up Jessica and a Cool Kid, she made it clear Dom and Christmas were her targets right away when Paul was still pushing Ramses, and she and Jason didn't put Mark up next to Dom like Paul wanted. Paul went with everything that week but he didn't drive ANY of that. He just was flexible enough that when he couldn't control Alex he adapted her to his game.

Kevin's made himself a target too. He's been lying about votes and other things since Week 1 and framing people for it. He was the one who screwed Alex and Jason over that first week and pushed Ramses and Josh to take the fall. Alex has been sketched out by him since her first HOH which is why he wasn't involved in any of the game talk. Kevin pissed them all off 2 weeks ago by proposing a deal with them to Cody and throwing their names around with them agreeing. Christmas and Josh were big defenders of Kevin until they found out that they weren't part of that deal and Kevin lied to them about it and left them out to dry. They all recognize he was leaking info to Cody for the last few weeks and he's actually lucky they haven't figured out he was leaking info to Jessica for weeks before that.

Elena made herself a pariah by first blatantly floating from HOH to HOH, then getting way too close to Jody when people warned her about it, then when she got blindsided she decided she was just going to be a brat about it for weeks rather than adapt, then she berated Josh as the HOH and tried to intimidate her into not putting him up, then she broke a stupid deal with the HOH and was a total rear end in a top hat about it.

Mark is just Mark. He's lied so many times and flipped between sides so many times I couldn't even begin to list them. Last week he was bouncing between group to group targeting each of them. He threw hot sauce in Josh's face over a pool bet and had everyone convinced he was going to hit him with a pan and then complained that they thought he was wrong to do those things. He defended Jody saying no one should be bullied no matter what they did and then said Josh should be bullied by Jody because of what he did to Mark. I mean, his DR to the fight with Christmas last week was "She's absolutely right." Mark's basic problem is he doesn't realize that the rest of the house is smart enough to know that too so he just keeps lying to them.

All these people did this to themselves. Paul's not Derrick or Will or someone orchestrating this stuff. He's Frankie or Andy rolling with the punches and being flexible enough to adapt to where the game moves and what mistakes people make and make sure people stay focused on that and have no real good reason to target him.

And that's the thing Cody, Jessica, and the fans can never seem to answer. WHY should people like Josh, Alex, and Jason target Paul? Because "he'll win" just isn't a very good reason at F11 if there's someone sitting there who would definitely target them next week.

edit: I'm tempted to compare Paul to Vanessa who like Paul had a hand in everything all season and kept getting her way but ended up trapping herself at the end with multiple duos who she had to betray and poison to get farther, and then still got taken out at the end. But I think even that is overrating Paul since Vanessa had real control and influence most of the season in a way I don't think Paul truly has. Like, not only did Paul not make Elena and Kevin targets but he actively tried to protect them for weeks. Until they had done too much damage to the house trust or his trust that he just stopped fighting the tide and started making it work for him.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 18, 2017

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Reddit spoiler provider is claiming Christmas won the next HOH. She might be the most willing to take a shot at Paul if Mark is protected. Would probably need some DR push on that though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It would be really, really stupid for Christmas to take a shot at Paul right now. Not only is he one of her closest allies and has a ton of dirt on her including her hinky vote but she'd have to blow the house up to do that and would have to count on people she doesn't trust like Mark, Kevin, and Jason to get it done. She wasn't willing to trust them to get out Elena, it would be crazy to trust them to betray Paul.

Mark is undeniably her biggest threat and she'll probably look to backdoor him, in which case the question is who are the pawns? That debate is probably happening while we don't watch. In theory you'd want a backup target on the block as a "pawn" and set up in such a way that if Mark got picked and won POV then you could paint it all as an accident. In a perfect world Christmas might want Matt/Raven or Matt/Kevin but I don't know how easy a sell that would be. Matt/Raven going up for the 3rd week in a row SHOULD set off alarms and Kevin's a panicky player. Meanwhile Christmas doesn't trust Jason and getting him up could be the sort of subversive move she might try but that would be hard with 2 straight weeks of Jason as pawn and HOH.

Once again the potentially interesting stuff is happening while feeds are off.

I look forward to a week of feedsters (not you guys) saying "Christmas is such an idiot to target the guy who has hated her since Week 1 and sworn to put her up every week! She's Paul's minion!"

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 18, 2017

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

That's not that different than what I said STAC, I did acknowledge that Paul finds something in a person's behavior and Kevin really did throw a hinkie vote for example. The thing is nothing ever came of Kevin doing that. Even when Alex said Kevin was sketchy, Paul would reassure her and say Kevin was fine. It's only when Paul decides it's time for Kevin to go that Kevin's sketchiness suddenly becomes this big fatal issue. It's Paul's doing as Paul controls everyone's opinions about everything, he can tell them something is kosher one week and sketchy the next and they'll go along with it both times. You're definitely diminishing Paul's influence.

It's the same with Dom, of course she let Cody talk game on her "show" which was kinda dumb. But it was Paul that insisted a bunch how bad that was, and Alex nominated her because of Paul, and she went before Jessica because of Paul. Paul made those things happen because he believed that she knew Cody was backdooring him and he wanted her out. Josh/Christmas/Mark/Elena/Matt/Raven never would have been interested in making that happen at that point on their own. Like she contributed the basic ingredients for the blow up but it was totally Paul that then stirred up that pot as it has been consistently this season.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 18, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fast Luck, I wasn't directly responding to you but I do think we're very far apart because I don't think Paul is "controlling people's opinions" or controlling the house at all. That ignores the many times they've fought him and he hasn't gotten his way. What Paul's doing is just making sure his interests align with the house's. And if that means abandoning Elena or Kevin when they damage themselves too much to save, then he does that.

Kevin hasn't been "fine" for a very long time. Alex didn't want him in on game talk in Week 3. Christmas and Josh didn't trust his vote for them when they wanted Elena out. Jason and Alex were sketched out by his deal with Cody and were the ones who raised the issue with Paul, not the other way around. Kevin's lucky no one picked up on the fact that he was the one who was leaking info to Jessica in Week 4 and 5 and I think they lowkey suspect him of it after all the Cody stuff.

Paul didn't pull some trigger on Kevin. The $25K thing was after Kevin was already in trouble and from what I saw Jason and Alex didn't really believe it and Josh already knew it. What killed Kevin was not just the deal with Cody but that he lied to Christmas and Josh about being part of it. That's huge. That not only completely destroyed any trust Josh and Christmas had in him but also put Paul, Alex, and Jason in a position where they had to either choose to lie to Josh/Christmas to protect Kevin or expose him. It also calls up a basic question that Alex and Paul had with each other last week. If Kevin's lying to Christmas and Josh then how do they know he isn't lying to them?

Kevin's dying a death of 1000 cuts. Paul provided maybe one or two of them but most of them are self inflicted. He doesn't kill people's games. That's not in his skillset and never has been. Paul's skill is that when he sees someone bleeding he makes sure they bleed out.

Fast Luck posted:

It's the same with Dom, of course she let Cody talk game on her "show" which was kinda dumb. But it was Paul that insisted a bunch how bad that was, and Alex nominated her because of Paul, and she went before Jessica because of Paul. Paul made those things happen because he believed that she knew Cody was backdooring him and he wanted her out. Josh/Christmas/Mark/Elena/Matt/Raven never would have been interested in making that happen at that point on their own. Like she contributed the basic ingredients for the blow up but it was totally Paul that then stirred up that pot as it has been consistently this season.

I just think this a complete rewrite of that week. Alex was targeting the "Cool Kids" all along and hated Dom since Week 1. She made it clear to Jason and Kevin right away that she was putting up Jessica and a Cool Kid and when Paul and Elena talked to her she made it clear she was targeting either Dom or Christmas. At the start of that conversation Paul was pushing for Jessica/Ramses noms and he only backed off once Alex made it clear that wasn't happening. And while Paul did ultimately push for them to get out Dom and picked that fight to publicly target her BEFORE that happened Dom had already thrown Elena under the bus, picked a fight with Christmas, and pissed off Raven by confronting her about "betrayal."

This is what I think has been happening a lot this season. Alex and Dom made that week happen. Paul failed to get what he wanted that week again and again. But Paul has the necessary BB skill of adapting to the game and he did that and he made Dom going home work to his favor and used it to strengthen his bond with Alex. But fans are so frustrated by this season, Paul, and the early production help he got that they bought into the idea that he controlled that week.

And Dom didn't "let Cody talk" on her show. Dom specifically asked Cody why he betrayed his alliance. In front of everyone who wasn't in their alliance. That poo poo was loving INSANE and Paul, Matt, Mark, and Raven were terrified that it was going to lead the "outsiders" to target them the next week. Which it DID which is why they were so willing to let Dom be the sacrificial lamb.

In fact, that week was so crazy that Paul was initially pushing Christmas as the target over Dom and then did a 180 on that for no clear reason. And he was so adamant about Mark going on the block with POV that feedsters were convinced he was targeting him (I think he was just trying to seed more paranoia and divide).

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 18, 2017

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah, it's true that Paul wanted Alex to nominate Ramses but settled on Dom. But then he totally blew her up, and that's what I'm talking about. Once Dom became his target he triggered a nuclear-level event to ruin her and then dressed up as a snake to mock her accusations while she took to blanketing like Audrey. That's what he does and that week is a glaring example of it. He makes the pariahs.

The others were all aware her show with Cody was uncomfortable and a terrible idea, but Paul led the conversation with them afterward (and then talked to her alone telling her that other people thought it was sketchy but weren't telling her). I really don't think the big majority in the house was inclined to target Dom over Jessica at all, which is why he wanted Jessica to come down with the veto, but by the end of the week it was a unanimous vote. Paul realized we can keep Jessica in the house so there's still another target ahead of me while eliminating the person that was in on my attempted w1 backdoor. That's probably why he really wanted Mark to be the replacement nom too, since that was the other name they got from Cody.

Hell, even when Jess won HOH I think there's a chance the house would've evicted Josh like Jess wanted if not for Paul's influence. That there's no way to know for sure, but we do know he put together the entire plan for Josh to fake sulk, for Mark and Elena to be left in the dark, all of it. Which then led to Mark and Elena being the new Cody and Jess. He's doing all of it!!!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

You're totally ignoring all of the things Marlena and Dom did to sink their own games. Things which STAC listed already. Paul is good at making adjustments to his game, and he is also pretty decent at saving people he wants to save. There really isn't any reason for the house to be thinking Paul is controlling them when every target so far has outright publicly done something to piss them off personally. Some of the biggest contention we've seen recently was during Josh's HOH and then Jody went and proved Paul 100% right anyway.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

ToastyPotato posted:

You're totally ignoring all of the things Marlena and Dom did to sink their own games. Things which STAC listed already. Paul is good at making adjustments to his game, and he is also pretty decent at saving people he wants to save. There really isn't any reason for the house to be thinking Paul is controlling them when every target so far has outright publicly done something to piss them off personally. Some of the biggest contention we've seen recently was during Josh's HOH and then Jody went and proved Paul 100% right anyway.

Alex thinks Paul can't lie to her because he was on the TV show (about lying to people) before, and he said "friendship" a lot.

A lot of people's "bad mistakes" and a lot of people's "great gameplay" would meet in the middle if Ramses told Jess to use the veto on him. Paul's playing well, Christmas seems to be capable of thinking through poo poo, that's it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Well I never said this cast was particularly good at playing BB. I just object to the notion that Paul is puppet mastering the majority of the cast, when in reality, this cast has been so bad at this game that all he's really had to do most of the time was just motion toward which ever idiot was blowing up their own game that week and go "YOU SEE?!"

I mean think about it. You have one couple torpedo their own game. Another couple, for no reason, throw themselves under the bus for that first couple, and then Dom, who should have been a target to no one, painting a massive target on her own back and sinking her game. That is already 5 people making 5 super easy targets of themselves. And then you have Kevin doing sneaky poo poo for no reason and having everyone slowly realize it. #6.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

See, I think Pauls greatest skill is to make such a big show of targeting someone that people in and out of the house see it as his idea and doing even when it usually isnt.

He did that during BB18 all the time. He was on the wrong side of the house flipping on Jozea but he and Nat were the only ones who recognized it was happening and he did a great job pulling away and putting himself on the other side and saying how nuts Jozea was. Then he had absolutely nothing to do with the house turning on Frank but he picked a fight with Frank just to make it look like he was on the houses side. Then he had almost nothing to do with the house turning on Paulie but he put himself in a position to take advantage of it and called out Paulie so it looked like he was in control.

That's what Paul does. He's not a puppet master. He doesn't convince people to do what he wants. He adjusts to what people do and makes a big public show of positioning himself against the target so everyone sees he's on their side and thinks he's working for the house and getting his hands dirty, all while he's actively avoiding actually making the crucial votes or nominations or moves that could actually get him in trouble.

Paul made a huge show about fighting with Dom and dressing up as a snake to mock her but he did all of that AFTER Dom was already calling him a snake and a devil. After she had already sketched all of her allies out by confronting them about perceived betrayals and all but threatening them (game wise, not physically, which is a.distinction we must make on BB19). After she had already fought with Christmas and tried to get Elena nominated. After she had exposed their alliance and given Cody a platform in front of the whole house. After Dom had sketched Alex out enough that she saw her as a big threat anyway.

After all that Paul jumped on a stage and made a big show about how he was gunning for Dom and she was such a dangerous threat and he wasn't afraid to stand up to her. After she was already going home. That's what Paul does. He picks off the wounded gazelle and the tells everyone how dangerous gazelles are and how brave he is to stand up to them.

Hell, even Cody was a wounded animal who had already taken a shot at Paul and lost the entire house. But Paul spent six weeks making a big show about standing up to him while playing Cody and Jessica well enough that they kept targeting other people and making everyone have a reason to be scared of them.

I'm tempted to say Paul's invented a new style of play that isn't puppet mastering or snake or weasel or any of the terms we tend to think. He's a Peacock or something. What's an animal that makes a big show of how scary they are when really it's a lot of bluff?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 19, 2017

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

STAC Goat posted:

I'm tempted to say Paul's invented a new style of play that isn't puppet mastering or snake or weasel or any of the terms we tend to think. He's a Peacock or something. What's an animal that makes a big show of how scary they are when really it's a lot of bluff?

Man?

Or at least me after about 10 beers?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't turned on feeds but according to the update sites the spoiler is confirmed and Christmas is HOH. She nominated Matt and Jason, apparently. Which are almost certainly pawns for a Mark backdoor but based on what she's been planning going in Matt is probably the secondary target.

This is all guess work because I haven't watched feeds in 2 days and I feel free!!! I'm sure that will end tomorrow post POV.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mark, Raven, and Paul chosen to play in POV. Along with Christmas, Jason, and Matt. So Mark could still win and force some chaos (if you assume Matt and Raven can create chaos).

As best as I can tell the focus of the house is on whether or not there's a rat in the house. Jason is a vehement rat denier.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Jason found out in his HoH letter that his wife is pregnant which has apparently made him a huge target with the house.

• Locked thread