Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Adding Ron Darby tipped Me from 7-9 to 8-8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Rico Gathers is personally going to win like 7 games friendos.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
Darby is a great upgrade but losing Matthews is a big deal unless we're seriously going to pretend that Aghalor or Torrey Smith will be any good or Jeffrey won't be injured. The eagles defense going to be great but that offense has a pretty good chance of being the same as last year.

I'm not going to pretend to know what the division will look like, but the unabashed optimism about the eagles offense of all things is pretty weird to me.

If Jeffrey gets hurt they're pretty much just as bad at WR as they were last year, and Jeffrey is almost always hurt.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

troofs posted:

If Jeffrey gets hurt they're pretty much just as bad at WR as they were last year, and Jeffrey is almost always hurt.

Don't forget about the smoothies baby!

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I have no faith in Agholor and yeah, if Jeffery gets hurt and Smith doesn't play decently, the Eagle will be in trouble. But that would have been the case if they kept Matthews anyway. They may have been slightly better but not keeping Matthews around in case we needed to elevate a decent slot receiver to our #1 WR target again isn't something I'm going to have much regret about. I've seen that before and it's not good.

Also, don't forget about future Hall of Famer Mack Hollins.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Yeah I think the expectation is for Hollins to eventually take the slot, esp if Agholor is bad.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If Jeffery gets hurt who cares the season is over

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
Is it just me or is the division even more volatile than usual this year? I feel like I could make a totally reasonable case for any of these teams to win it or go 4-12.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

a new study bible! posted:

Yeah I think the expectation is for Hollins to eventually take the slot, esp if Agholor is bad.

That would fit nicely, but I thought I had read that they see Hollins as an outside receiver.

troofs posted:

Is it just me or is the division even more volatile than usual this year? I feel like I could make a totally reasonable case for any of these teams to win it or go 4-12.

I don't think you can make a reasonable case for the Eagles going 4-12, but go for it.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

NotWearingPants posted:

I don't think you can make a reasonable case for the Eagles going 4-12, but go for it.

Well they were 7-9 last year with an easier schedule, so if Jeffrey gets injured very early and Wentz doesn't progress from the end of last year I don't see how it's unreasonable that they have a good defense but just sort of flounder around on offense, kind of like they did for the majority of last year. In this scenario I'd bet they'd beat the bears again, beat the godawful 49ers, beat the rams and win one divisional game which isn't a crazy prediction since they won 2 last year, including that game against the cowboys that the cowboys didn't care about. In fact I'll just go ahead and say they beat the giants, because they always beat the giants to make me sad.

Didn't say it was likely (I would bet against it obviously) but I don't think that it would be totally crazy. Actually if I had to bet on a record for the eagles I would go 7-9 again.

troofs fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 17, 2017

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I have a hard time imagining any team in the division collecting fewer than 6 wins.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

In a chaos ball scenario where Zeke fucks up again while on suspension he could extend that out to a full year.

I mean, it's not like he's showed lapses in judgment before.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

troofs posted:

Well they were 7-9 last year with an easier schedule, so if Jeffrey gets injured very early and Wentz doesn't progress from the end of last year I don't see how it's unreasonable that they have a good defense but just sort of flounder around on offense, kind of like they did for the majority of last year. In this scenario I'd bet they'd beat the bears again, beat the godawful 49ers, beat the rams and win one divisional game which isn't a crazy prediction since they won 2 last year, including that game against the cowboys that the cowboys didn't care about. In fact I'll just go ahead and say they beat the giants, because they always beat the giants to make me sad.

Didn't say it was likely (I would bet against it obviously) but I don't think that it would be totally crazy. Actually if I had to bet on a record for the eagles I would go 7-9 again.

Yeah, I don't think that's very reasonable. Wentz was the #3 QB throughout training camp last year (Bradford was traded Sept. 3) after coming from a 1-AA college. He's had a full offseason and training camp as the #1 this season. He's going to be better.

Lane Johnson, one of the best offensive tackles in the NFL, was suspended for 10 games last season. The eagles went 5-1 in the games he appeared. His addition makes the Eagles better.

The Eagles had the worst receivers in the league last year. They added a legitimate top 20 receiver in Jeffrey, an upgrade in Torrey Smith, and multiple young players for the future and for depth now. They are going to be better at WR.

The Eagles had no real primary RB last season. Mathews was rarely available and they were forced to press Sproles into that role. The addition of Blount makes the Eagles better even if he's not what most people would consider a top RB.

The Eagles defensive line was good last year, but they upgraded at DT by replacing Logan with Jernigan and drafted a DE in the first round who should be pressing for starters minutes as the season progresses. They are better on the defensive line.

The safeties and linebackers are the same, with some upgrades in depth. Their cornerbacks are still a question mark, though now they at least have one CB who is better than anybody they had last season.

The Eagles have upgraded positions throughout their roster without suffering any concerning losses. I don't think its' reasonable to look at a team that has significantly improved its roster and say they will win fewer games, particularly when all the PF/PA math and past trends say that the Eagles should improve their record this season regardless of upgrades.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 17, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

I have a hard time imagining any team in the division collecting fewer than 6 wins.

you can't imagine a QB getting hurt and missing most/all of a season? I figured that scenario would play out in your head over and over for non-Wentz QBs

Hell, even barring injuries, the division's schedules are much tougher this season

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

you can't imagine a QB getting hurt and missing most/all of a season? I figured that scenario would play out in your head over and over for non-Wentz QBs

Hell, even barring injuries, the division's schedules are much tougher this season

Is it really worth talking about potential season ending injuries to key players as justification for why a team may regress? That could happen to any team.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

Is it really worth talking about potential season ending injuries to key players as justification for why a team may regress? That could happen to any team.

some teams are more susceptible to injuries than others. The Cowboys are paper-thin at most positions. Eli is a frustrating rubber idiot man who never gets hurt

Also actual discussion about records or teams tends to just get handwaved away by the Eagles fans in the thread, so injury talk seems more productive, yeah

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

How good is Wentz to Jeffry going to be this year? Merely super great, or will the mere sight of them cause spontaneous ejaculations and/or pregnancies?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

TheChirurgeon posted:

Sure, injuries can sink any team.

Also, Wentz's first pass of the 2nd preseason game is a huge overthrow to Jeffery

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Defense holding it down with an INT though

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can't get eagles preseason games :(

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

euphronius posted:

I can't get eagles preseason games :(

reddit dot com slash r slash nflstreams

also, Wentz with another hilarious overthrow. Foles is going to be starting by like week 10.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Sure, injuries can sink any team.

Also, Wentz's first pass of the 2nd preseason game is a huge overthrow to Jeffery

So just super great then. :saddowns:

Also, I feel for my non-preseason owning brother. :(

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

also, Wentz with another hilarious overthrow. Foles is going to be starting by like week 10.

I hate streams .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I agree wentz may be bad tho

Which is sad

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Wentz doesn't overthrow receivers. They need to run faster.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

euphronius posted:

I hate streams .

FWIW im using the top rated post on the Eagles thread and it's a really good stream

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm not going to go find a computer to watch football.

Thank you tho

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
ill need to get used to Jeffrey wearing Agholor's old number. I still start cursing every time I see the ball going to him.

FWIW im using the top rated post on the Eagles thread and it's a really good stream

same

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

NotWearingPants posted:

The Eagles have upgraded positions throughout their roster without suffering any concerning losses. I don't think its' reasonable to look at a team that has significantly improved its roster and say they will win fewer games, particularly when all the PF/PA math and past trends say that the Eagles should improve their record this season regardless of upgrades.
I actually don't feel strongly about this (and I've already said I don't think it'll actually happen) but it'll give me a chance to poo poo talk the eagles so I'll argue with you just for the sake of an argument :v:

Wentz got significantly worse over the course of the year after his hot start and plenty of quarterbacks have failed to improve as a 2nd year starter, such as your good buddy Nick Foles. There's absolutely nothing that guarantees that he'll be able to elevate the team in a way that he wasn't last year.

Jeffrey is indeed a massive upgrade at WR, as long as he's playing. He's also constantly missed timed throughout his career with injuries, especially soft tissue injuries which are more likely to reoccur. If he gets injured the team is arguably even worse at WR because Torrey Smith is worse than Jordan Matthews, who was the eagles only decent WR last year.

Blount is not actually a very good RB and was mostly a passenger on the Patriots last year. There's a reason the pats let him walk even after he scored so often, and there's a reason every independent talent evaluator who watches tape tends to hate him. His best skill is being huge and not getting hurt. I guess he's an upgrade from Wendell Smallwood or a permanently injured Ryan Matthews though, so you've got me there, but he's hardly going to drag the offense to glory if nothing else is working.

The defense was already very good and probably hasn't improved to the point where it will win the team more games on its own. If the defense hasn't significantly improved and the offense is about the same I don't see how a harder schedule doesn't make it possible for them to lose a few more games.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Defense has hugely improved

Wentz may be a garbage man tho. He probably is.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

I'm not going to go find a computer to watch football.

Thank you tho

Scrub tier, goonbro. Get a Fire Stick and sideload Kodi on it, and watch all the streams on your tv

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

NotWearingPants posted:

ill need to get used to Jeffrey wearing Agholor's old number. I still start cursing every time I see the ball going to him.

same

Agholar has made some good catches this game. I think he's fixed.

Unfortunately it's nearly the end of the 3rd quarter and we've yet to convert a 3rd down :gonk:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

aBagorn posted:

Scrub tier, goonbro. Get a Fire Stick and sideload Kodi on it, and watch all the streams on your tv

My kids are watching frozen

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

euphronius posted:

My kids are watching frozen

Where's that spoof someone made with rex grossman and "let it go"?

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

euphronius posted:

Defense has hugely improved

Wentz may be a garbage man tho. He probably is.

I feel like the defense was already very good and will now still be very good. I could definitely be wrong about this though.
I think Wentz is probably pretty good, but I also think Jeffrey is going to get hurt and he's going to spend all year throwing to Ertz so it'll be hard to tell next year.

I think the redskins are good on paper but will find some way to gently caress it up.

I think the giants will basically have the same problems as last year and Eli might be broken.

I think the cowboys are going to be in a lot of trouble until Elliot gets back.

I guess I'm sort of down on the whole division this year? I was super down on the division last year too and I was totally wrong though, so I'm probably wrong again.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I'm looking forward to Landon Collins getting DPotY.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Why do phili fans think Blount is good?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

troofs posted:

I feel like the defense was already very good and will now still be very good. I could definitely be wrong about this though.
I think Wentz is probably pretty good, but I also think Jeffrey is going to get hurt and he's going to spend all year throwing to Ertz so it'll be hard to tell next year.

I think the redskins are good on paper but will find some way to gently caress it up.

I think the giants will basically have the same problems as last year and Eli might be broken.

I think the cowboys are going to be in a lot of trouble until Elliot gets back.

I guess I'm sort of down on the whole division this year? I was super down on the division last year too and I was totally wrong though, so I'm probably wrong again.

I think this is pretty good analysis. I can see this Eagles team having an all-decade defense but still going 7-9 because the line can't block, the running backs are meh and the WRs while looking much improved in the spring and summer could all be smoke and mirrors

I mean I try and be super positive and enthusiastic because being all morose and :smith: during the pre-season is just not fun and probably really bad for my own mental health.

Metapod posted:

Why do phili fans think Blount is good?

our previous RB situation post McCoy was the corpse of DeMarco Murray, an always injured Ryan Mathews, Darren Sproles who actually is quite good but really small, and Wendall Smallwood who's completely unproven.

Coming off of that Blount looks like a savior.

axeil fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 18, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

axeil posted:

I think this is pretty good analysis. I can see this Eagles team having an all-decade defense but still going 7-9 because the line can't block, the running backs are meh and the WRs while looking much improved in the spring and summer could all be smoke and mirrors

Exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Blount is worse than every single one of those backs you listed

• Locked thread