Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

:psyduck:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1659035215/goofy-foot-nes-controller-mod-kit?ref=project_share

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've never gone from learning of a new term to learning its meaning to it losing all meaning so quickly before.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Kickstarter: where money goes to die

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I love going through old game boxes i packed up years ago...

Haven't checked, but this has to have the softmod exploit on it. I can't think of abby other reason I'd own one I'd these.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You'd think the easy solution to this would be a plug in that fits between a controller and the console that lets you map the controller however you want.

Actually, a "controller remapper" for SNES and Genesis would be pretty cool given how rare remapping controls was in that era (and is still sadly too rare).

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I may have asked this before, but what is the favourite bootleg x-in-1 MVS cart?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Random Stranger posted:

Actually, a "controller remapper" for SNES and Genesis would be pretty cool given how rare remapping controls was in that era (and is still sadly too rare).

Really? I'm not sure I agree with that. Seems like most of the non-RPG games I've played for both platforms have that feature.

Also, North Korea makes games?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

How many games from North Korea do you even think would make it to the West :psyduck:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

How many games from North Korea do you even think would make it to the West :psyduck:

It's fine, they pinky-swore it has no spyware on it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah, something like this is what I want. But I want it to look good and not just using a cardboard box. Plus I want to have the Pi itself sit inside the box and not shake around. That means it needs mounting brackets.

Two questions for you.

1: Can I get a copy of the button layout you used?
2: How big did you mark the hole for the Joystick? Wait, Is that even big enough for the stick to work right?

So this:

Baron Snow posted:

1. I'm not who you were asking, but slagcoin is the resource you want.
2. 20mm is the size hole you want.

... is exactly right. While I didn't use that URL specifically, I ended up GISing "Neo Geo stick layout" or something, and got the same diagrams. Please note: mine is hosed up a little [spacing wise] because my printer didn't print at the right scale, so beware.

And yep, 20mm hole for the stick [which is more than enough space for it to move], and I used 24 I think for the buttons, which was incorrect because these buttons have a little ridge on them that's probably like 26-28mm, so I had to kind of push them into the cardboard more to make them sit flush. Even still, they're kind of wonky. I'm looking at screw-back Sanwas for my effort-stick, which have no ridge and should mount easier.

That said, struggle stick is loving amazing and I can't play Neo Geo games with a gamepad anymore. I'm thinking about mounting it into a piece of spare laminate flooring I have from my remodel, because at some point the cardboard is just going to collapse from all my button mashing in Blazing Star / Pulstar. :v:

Also, I am so glad I got the octagonal restrictor plate for it. Feels really good for fighting games. I've never been very good at SF2, but I actually did okay when I tried with this setup. Granted I was missing two buttons, but that wasn't my worst handicap. :P

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

the wizards beard posted:

I may have asked this before, but what is the favourite bootleg x-in-1 MVS cart?

The 138 and 161. Between the two, you'll have the majority of the games available for the system. No Windjammers though...

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

And yep, 20mm hole for the stick [which is more than enough space for it to move], and I used 24 I think for the buttons, which was incorrect because these buttons have a little ridge on them that's probably like 26-28mm, so I had to kind of push them into the cardboard more to make them sit flush. Even still, they're kind of wonky. I'm looking at screw-back Sanwas for my effort-stick, which have no ridge and should mount easier.

For the effort stick you're going to want a 30mm hole for the buttons. Screw ins are great because you don't have to have your top plate be a specific thickness, so they're generally what you want if you're making your own case. Also you might end up with a 24mm hole for the stick because it's also the size of the smaller buttons you might use for start and select and it's often easier then buying a 3rd size circle cutter. I hope you post your stick when you're done!

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Manky posted:

I too have the Mayflash adapter, it works great with PC. If you want to use it with just any game, you can switch it to PC and use x360ce (for a little bit I was playing rocket league like this, two stage trigger was great for accelerate/boost). If you're using Dolphin, you can switch it to Wii U and yep it works perfectly. (It'll also work set to PC but I think you have to map it manually then)

I'm down to buy a Mayflash adapter, but what's the best route for buying Gamecube Controllers? They're.... a little hard to procure. Amazon's pricey ($35 for Wii U Smash controllers) and Ebay is all used aka questionable quality. Are the $35 controllers at Amazon my only choice? How reliable is like... Gamestop?

Re: Gamestop reviews "Ordered 10 controllers and 4 out of 10 arrived with either loose joysticks or cheap replacement joysticks."

anothergod fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 17, 2017

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

anothergod posted:

I'm down to buy a Mayflash adapter, but what's the best route for buying Gamecube Controllers? They're.... a little hard to procure. Amazon's pricey ($35 for Wii U Smash controllers) and Ebay is all used aka questionable quality. Are the $35 controllers at Amazon my only choice? How reliable is like... Gamestop?

Re: Gamestop reviews "Ordered 10 controllers and 4 out of 10 arrived with either loose joysticks or cheap replacement joysticks."

Just pay the $35 and consider yourself lucky that you can get brand new first party GC controllers that are nicer than the old ones were. Melee is going to make GC controllers in good shape a rarity someday.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
One more reason to hate the Melee crowd.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

So I can't really believe this is happening and I hope there is some way to amend it...

I'm playing Oracle of Seasons. I am in the Dancing Dragon Dungeon. I've just beaten the mid-boss and when you do so you're supposed to go immediately up one room and jump in a mine cart. That mine cart takes you through a room where you light some fires with your slingshot using ember seeds

ONLY

The loving mine cart stopped spawning. I go up one room and there's nothing there, I'm unable to go any further and complete the dungeon. Any help here? What the gently caress?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

epsilon posted:

So I can't really believe this is happening and I hope there is some way to amend it...

I'm playing Oracle of Seasons. I am in the Dancing Dragon Dungeon. I've just beaten the mid-boss and when you do so you're supposed to go immediately up one room and jump in a mine cart. That mine cart takes you through a room where you light some fires with your slingshot using ember seeds

ONLY

The loving mine cart stopped spawning. I go up one room and there's nothing there, I'm unable to go any further and complete the dungeon. Any help here? What the gently caress?

Try leaving the dungeon? THat usually resets that stuff.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

BigRed0427 posted:

Try leaving the dungeon? THat usually resets that stuff.

I did :(

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So many people I know hate the blue sphere levels in Sonic but I actually like them more than the half-pipes, though not by much.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

epsilon posted:

ONLY

Pretty sure you go down a room after beating the mini boss.
E: Oh, upon reading again you already have the slingshot. Can you get to the other side of the minecart track by going to the start of the dungeon and heading a screen to the right, then up three screens and right again and taking the stairs?

Pteretis fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 18, 2017

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Out of curiosity (maybe a bit of a longshot asking here), but is it normal for the Saturn version of Crusader: No Remorse to cause the music to change to the menu tune (originally the credits theme in the PC version, IIRC) whenever you pause the game? Because that seems like something QA would have caught super early, and yet it happens consistently on my copy.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Mak0rz posted:

So many people I know hate the blue sphere levels in Sonic but I actually like them more than the half-pipes, though not by much.

Same. I like them a lot more, actually.

I just am really not a fan of the controls / feel of the half pipes.

My absolute favorite bonus levels are the rotating Cameltry-style maze things in Sonic 1, though.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Breadallelogram posted:

I liked the tiny open world areas in Sonic Adventure because it always seemed like there was some mysterious poo poo hidden somewhere that I wasn't figuring out. Like you can steal a chao egg from that store in the city. There's a huge empty forest for some reason.

there were bits of sonic adventure that were good. shame that those bits were so few and far between because ultimately sonic adventure is only marginally less terrible than sonic 2006.

Mak0rz posted:

blue sphere was easily the best sonic bonus level, what kind of dimwit hates it :psyduck:

half pipe was cool too but it was egregiously difficult after the first three, to the point that getting all the chaos emeralds wasn't even rewarding because the main game was a billion times easier than getting the thing that made you invincible.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I wasn't planning to spend any money anytime soon as I just upgrade my PC... except RetroGames UK had gotten in a complete copy of MGS Twin Snakes for 'only' $105AUD, including shipping, this week :shepspends:.

(The game alone generally starts at $130AUD on eBay, not including shipping)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Shadow Hog posted:

Out of curiosity (maybe a bit of a longshot asking here), but is it normal for the Saturn version of Crusader: No Remorse to cause the music to change to the menu tune (originally the credits theme in the PC version, IIRC) whenever you pause the game? Because that seems like something QA would have caught super early, and yet it happens consistently on my copy.

Quite a few games changed the music when you paused the game. Mario 2 and Battletoads just off the top of my head.

Also I just learned the Dreamcast actually sold less units than the Saturn :(

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCXMDPU61QM

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Really? I see dreamcasts everywhere and rarely see saturns in the wild. That's crazy.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

This is mystifying to me. I felt lucky when my brother handed me his Saturn, but I have like four Dreamcasts (hoarding tendencies ahoy).

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I wanna buy a bundle of Saturns with busted drive mechanics ahead of the flashcart. If I were to replace the JP PSU, it's just about slotting my EU PSU in there right? As long as the models match (buttons)?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Code Jockey posted:

Same. I like them a lot more, actually.

I just am really not a fan of the controls / feel of the half pipes.

My absolute favorite bonus levels are the rotating Cameltry-style maze things in Sonic 1, though.

financially racist posted:

blue sphere was easily the best sonic bonus level, what kind of dimwit hates it :psyduck:

half pipe was cool too but it was egregiously difficult after the first three, to the point that getting all the chaos emeralds wasn't even rewarding because the main game was a billion times easier than getting the thing that made you invincible.

Yeah it starts to get pretty difficult to know where you need to be to avoid bombs or get rings in a lot of those half-pipe levels, so they just become pattern memorization if you really want those emeralds. drat I had a lot of fun playing them though, especially if you had a buddy to scream at for being an idiot and running Tails into things.

(I was actually the buddy).

I didn't really like the nauseating bonus levels in Sonic 1. They made getting the emeralds kind of trivial and were just boring to me. For some reason I remember the first one being one of the most difficult. Half-pipes and blue spheres at least felt like bonus stages to me: "Try to get the high score and if you're real good you'll get a prize!"

I don't remember the bonus levels in 3D Blast very well, but they were like running across a pseudo-3D bridge over lava and jumping over obstacles and poo poo, right? They were kind of dull and easy from what little I remember. I only played the Genesis/MD version, not the Saturn version with the updated half-pipes. I do recall having a lot of fun with the Sonic Rush half-pipes though.

Didn't care much for the UFO levels in CD, but I do like Mania's take on it.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 18, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Really? I see dreamcasts everywhere and rarely see saturns in the wild. That's crazy.

Saturn sold quite well in Japan and the hardware's not at all hard to find over there.

The Dreamcast was only really kicking outside of Japan for around a year, whereas the Saturn just felt that way thanks to clowns like Bernie Stolar.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The Sonic 1 special stages are literally a hosed-up fever dream, from the background and audio right through to the way they control.

They’re a very good simulation of that kind of thing, but they are extremely awful.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's pretty impressive how many cool games came out on Dreamcast considering it's lifespan was like 14 months.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Quite a few games changed the music when you paused the game. Mario 2 and Battletoads just off the top of my head.
It's not like that, though. It plays the music you'd expect for the first stage, but if you pause and unpause (so, to be clear, we're back in gameplay, not idling on a pause screen), then suddenly this music is what's playing instead, with no way to change it back short of going back to the main menu and starting a new game (or maybe going to another area in the same level - I haven't gotten that far because hot drat do I suck at Crusader).

It'd be like if pausing the game in Battletoads and then unpausing caused the music to irreversibly play the pause music for the entire level.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The thing the game sack guys get right about making videos is that they don't explain their jokes or go overboard (ok I guess "four mega power" gets old). Joe said something like "this game really bolsters the wii's small library" and I feel like most youtubers would take that a step further by pointing out that it was a joke, instead of just leaving the deadpan comment alone.

Game sack owns.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gamesack is the best retro game video series by far.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Game Sack is awesome, but I swear if they mention Greendog one more time!

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Saturn sold quite well in Japan and the hardware's not at all hard to find over there.

The Dreamcast was only really kicking outside of Japan for around a year, whereas the Saturn just felt that way thanks to clowns like Bernie Stolar.

I haven't even seen a dream cast in real life before. It feels like most used gaming stores I go to are filled with Nintendo consoles and old xboxs.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
GREENDOG!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Gamesack is the best retro game video series by far.

They seem like they are dads. I get a whole dad humor vibe while watching them. I'm also very fond of Mark from CGR but I feel his reviews could be a lot more in depth. It seems he plays a game for a couple of hours and that's it.

• Locked thread