Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

keevo posted:

I really liked that Talk is Jericho with Breezango. They talked about how they got into the company and then how they formed and their match with the Usos at Backlash.

Yeah that story was insane. Vince wanted it to be a normal match but then he watched Fashion Files and was like "hey I noticed that you're dressing up in different costumes so do that in the match." And then they had like an hour to figure it out and came up with a perfect comedy match. I like that Breeze said they got a standing ovation when they got back to Gorilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
more importantly jericho confirms season two of southpaw is apparently getting released soonish

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Also listened to the TIJ episode with Nia Jax. That was a cool episode. Glad they brought up the announced weight thing.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mr. Swoon posted:

Agreed, but more importantly it was the first I heard about season 2 of Southpaw Regional Wrestling actually happening.

If you subscribe to Howl.fm, I'd recommend listening to Colt Cabana's podcast with Fandango when he was still Johnny Curtis. He goes into his early days in a lot more detail.

The Johnny Curtis episode is a must listen. Gives you a real feel for how WWE's backend works.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dave channeling his inner Vince talking about Lars Sullivan

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't want to like, be all dramatic.

But the Ric Flair observer bio is going to suck if we have to read it soon.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Ric Flair has beaten every STD known to man, he'll live.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/FO_VVerhei/status/897186764082696192

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Here's the Garvin/Flair match Brian and Vinny talked about, and the mannequin promo starts at about 9:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwW3iYhHvrM

And the date

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3vtROGWd8I&t=91s

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Give Meltzer a tshirt podcast

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Lmfao

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

the latest retro observer is very good, has an article at the start about the state of the wrestling business at that point (particularly ecw) and an article immediately following it about xpw trying to invade ecw and getting their asses kicked in the process

quote:

The security chased the XPW wrestlers out of the building where a brawl took place in the parking lot. Enough of the fans realized a fight was going on outside that a large percentage of the audience rushed to the back. To the live crowd, it largely killed the main event.

According to numerous witnesses and people involved, the ECW contingent greatly outnumbered the XPW contingent and it was far more of a violent brawl on the street than in the arena. Lots of punches, in particular New Jack, Jack Victory, Sal E. Graziano, Roadkill, Chilly Willy, Mikey Whipwreck and even Paul Heyman were thrown on their outmanned foes (one wrestler who was a witness said it looked to be about 20-on-7 odds) until they were able to escape in a limo, but not before taking a pretty bad beating, including an XPW ring crew guy which XPW claimed was knocked down by a wrestler and then punched and stomped on repeatedly by New Jack. There were Los Angeles Police Officers watching this--the ones working the show--nobody extra was called--and no charges were filed and nobody was arrested, which also sounds strange, but was explained that they also were upset at the behavior of the XPW crew.

edit: "Going unopposed, Raw drew a disappointing 6.17 rating"

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 15, 2017

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lone Goat posted:

Here's the Garvin/Flair match Brian and Vinny talked about, and the mannequin promo starts at about 9:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwW3iYhHvrM

And the date

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3vtROGWd8I&t=91s

The retro NWA show has become consistently the best show because Bryan and Vinny are just so happy to be watching something FUN and allowing stars to be themselves/on cocaine. Like its wrestling isn't great its all squashes and even the good wrestlers are stuck with stiffs. Wrestling today, as in the matches, are objectively better but everything around it is such poo poo that the product is so much worse.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lid posted:

The retro NWA show has become consistently the best show because Bryan and Vinny are just so happy to be watching something FUN and allowing stars to be themselves/on cocaine. Like its wrestling isn't great its all squashes and even the good wrestlers are stuck with stiffs. Wrestling today, as in the matches, are objectively better but everything around it is such poo poo that the product is so much worse.

Yeah, the week that they got so hyped they had to watch the PPV main event because they wanted to made me so happy.

Unlike the Nitros and Raws where they're like "so I guess there is a PPV next week, is goldberg even on it??"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
It doesn't help they still have weeks (or months can't remember) until Flair gets back on Nitro whereas in NWA he's partying every week, showing why Flair is the Greatest Wrestler of All Time and notably they aren't even talking about his matches! He's just so good and The Nature Boy.

Also Bryan directly compares NWA to current day NJPW and he means that as a mutual compliment about how loving good both are.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Catching up on the Steve Austin Show, his story about getting jumped by some ants, forcing them to fight him one on one, then cutting a promo on their poor match psychology.... :allears:

Lid posted:

It doesn't help they still have weeks (or months can't remember) until Flair gets back on Nitro whereas in NWA he's partying every week, showing why Flair is the Greatest Wrestler of All Time and notably they aren't even talking about his matches! He's just so good and The Nature Boy.

God I love whenever they discuss the logic/mindset behind Ric Flair, whether it's on the NWA shows or in Nitro. Their stuff about how when he lost the belt he became super serious and intense because his self-identity was so wrapped up in being the champ was so great, especially because once he gets back he goes straight back into party mode.

The early Nitro stuff with Benoit/Sullivan, where they keep talking about how Flair is just thrilled with the feud solely because his fellow Horseman is getting laid regularly.... :discourse:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 15, 2017

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

One thing I remember from Bryan and Vinny's NWA reviews is that one of Flair's greatest skills was making everyone able to believe that this is the time he's going to drop the belt pretty much no matter who he was facing in his big matches, and if it weren't for time limits/some form of cheating that their guy would have won, while at the same time Flair was good and passionate enough that you truly believed that he was the best (except, of course, for Your Hero) and hated him for it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

rare Magic card l00k posted:

One thing I remember from Bryan and Vinny's NWA reviews is that one of Flair's greatest skills was making everyone able to believe that this is the time he's going to drop the belt pretty much no matter who he was facing in his big matches, and if it weren't for time limits/some form of cheating that their guy would have won, while at the same time Flair was good and passionate enough that you truly believed that he was the best (except, of course, for Your Hero) and hated him for it.

"You can beat me! *in the smuggest tone possible* I've lost three times! in five years... *explodes* SO IT IS POSSIBLE and if you can wear these shoes *waves shoes* god bless ya"

like he simultaneously is selling he can lose, by pointing out that he's only smugly lost three times in five years, but the way he says it you believe he can lose but HE'S THAT GOOD that it's only happened three times

https://streamable.com/lokeb

Lid fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 15, 2017

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

algebra testes posted:

I don't want to like, be all dramatic.

But the Ric Flair observer bio is going to suck if we have to read it soon.

Don't worry, it won't be soon regardless.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh god that Ric Flair story is simultaneously the most Dave story, a really awesome Joe Silva story and also a Ric Flair rear end Ric Flair story.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Cardboard Box posted:

the latest retro observer is very good, has an article at the start about the state of the wrestling business at that point (particularly ecw) and an article immediately following it about xpw trying to invade ecw and getting their asses kicked in the process

Then those guys cut off Messiah's thumb.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Today's Brent call on observer live is only like 60% peak Brent but it's pretty good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Today's Brent call on observer live is only like 60% peak Brent but it's pretty good.

gently caress I hate being tricked into listening to WOL.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The Lex Luger conversation on B&V retro review was awesome.

Also, I don't miss Craig one bit

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This poor dude on Paul's conference calls really thinks Spain is closing to having its own WWE show.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i think he just means one live date

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

triplexpac posted:

The Lex Luger conversation on B&V retro review was awesome.

Also, I don't miss Craig one bit

my favourite B&V moment when they're not mocking TNA has to be the time when Bryan recited the lyrics to MMMBop

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Jason Sextro posted:

my favourite B&V moment when they're not mocking TNA has to be the time when Bryan recited the lyrics to MMMBop

You can't say that and not give the date.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Wazzu posted:

You can't say that and not give the date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFqRRsThMQc

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Listening back to old TNA Adrenaline Flushes. Was making the March 10th 2010 B&V episode (the gold boat rant) a free show the best decision they ever made? (aside from maybe firing Todd Martin) Can't even imagine how many signups they got from it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's for sure the biggest money promo Bryan's ever cut.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't even have to look to know which one.

"I WOULD BUY A GOLD BOAT!"

:allears:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Dave coming around on Jinder is the most surreal thing.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

VJeff posted:

Dave coming around on Jinder is the most surreal thing.

Well to be fair, he said he'd come around on his heel and character work, and that his promos were getting better. His in-ring stuff still needs a lot of pop.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I love how the BIG BREAKFAST got buried by Filthy Tom and Bryan.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

did they bury him like in observing how tremendously lovely the booking made him look there or did they bury his performance because both were awful

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Super No Vacancy posted:

did they bury him like in observing how tremendously lovely the booking made him look there or did they bury his performance because both were awful

Both, and him being an idiot on Twitter.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a746BRtajew

The Nobodies have gotten me more hyped for the MYC than anything WWE has done.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is the Lance Storm / Don Callis podcast any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

algebra testes posted:

Is the Lance Storm / Don Callis podcast any good?

Before I gave up on it, it was 40% Callis trying to get himself over in the most obnoxious manner, 25% Callis trying to perpetuate a feud with Disco Inferno for some reason, 25% road stories that were actually interesting, 10% ECW recaps which I didn't care about.

• Locked thread