Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Denkens auf Englisch

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Die im anderen Faden ausgesprochene Forderung, Khaleesis Drachen zum TÜV zu schicken zeigt aber schon sehr gute Reintegrationsansätze

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Smirr and I volunteer to be super anal about your posting so you'll be back in the saddle in no time

For example, I insist on a ß in "Scheiße". We're not Swiss, after all.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Und Gott sei Dank dafür.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Smirr posted:

For example, I insist on a ß in "Scheiße". We're not Swiss, after all.
Jede verpaßte Chance auf ein ß ist eine verpaßte Chance.

Also genitives

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Ci-bot, warum werfen Dir die Amis vor, dass Du Nazis verteidigst? :ohdear:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Randler posted:

Ci-bot, warum werfen Dir die Amis vor, dass Du Nazis verteidigst? :ohdear:
Weiß nicht, kann vieles sein ..? Ich rede ja schon viel Quark.

Aber wahrscheinlich ist es dies: ich denke (& poste), es ist einerseits falsch und andererseits kontraproduktiv, im gegenwärtigen Klima in den USA proaktiv gewalttätig gegen Neonazis vorzugehen. ("Punching Nazis" is bad)
Read literally, that's me actually defending Nazis I guess ..? Although right now I'm mostly concerned with creating actual Nazi martyrs that will, I am sure, only strengthen the extreme right by increasing public support for the president and decreasing public support for the opposition.

E.: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821460&userid=192152

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 17, 2017

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
If the state sits by while violent Nazi's run over and kill people that use their democratic rights, you have a civic duty to protect your fellow citizens

Nazi's want to topple goverments and murder people, stop saying we make martyrs out of them if we stand up against them

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Cingulate posted:

Weiß nicht, kann vieles sein ..? Ich rede ja schon viel Quark.

Aber wahrscheinlich ist es dies: ich denke (& poste), es ist einerseits falsch und andererseits kontraproduktiv, im gegenwärtigen Klima in den USA proaktiv gewalttätig gegen Neonazis vorzugehen. ("Punching Nazis" is bad)
Read literally, that's me actually defending Nazis I guess ..? Although right now I'm mostly concerned with creating actual Nazi martyrs that will, I am sure, only strengthen the extreme right by increasing public support for the president and decreasing public support for the opposition.

E.: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821460&userid=192152

How about rockin' and sockin' them? :razz:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

skipThings posted:

If the state sits by while violent Nazi's run over and kill people that use their democratic rights, you have a civic duty to protect your fellow citizens

Nazi's want to topple goverments and murder people, stop saying we make martyrs out of them if we stand up against them
If "standing up to them" means exerting violence against people who either 1. you think are Nazis, but turn out to not be Nazis, or 2. can be sold as having been peaceful themselves yet end up gravely injured or worse, you've lost the public and strengthened the extreme right.

"But Nazis are bad and deserve punching!"

Ok, but you're losing the public - and strengthening the extreme right, which technically makes you a ... Nazi supporter?????

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
If a guy walks down a street with a Hakenkreuzflagge and the public hates me for punching him, maybe the public is in the wrong ?

It's not about what I think they are, but what they are screaming in my face and identifying as

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

skipThings posted:

If a guy walks down a street with a Hakenkreuzflagge and the public hates me for punching him, maybe the public is in the wrong ?

It's not about what I think they are, but what they are screaming in my face and identifying as

Gewaltmonopol des Staats?

Mir fällt da noch eine andere Ideologie ein, deren Anhänger mit Autos in Menschenmassen fahren - sollten wir die jetzt auch auf der Straße anfallen und zusammenschlagen?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cingulate posted:

If "standing up to them" means exerting violence against people who either 1. you think are Nazis, but turn out to not be Nazis, or 2. can be sold as having been peaceful themselves yet end up gravely injured or worse, you've lost the public and strengthened the extreme right.

"But Nazis are bad and deserve punching!"

Ok, but you're losing the public - and strengthening the extreme right, which technically makes you a ... Nazi supporter?????

Showing up with your wehraboo Nazi flag to a demonstration is literally a crime in Germany. The question is not whether that person ought to be punched, but if the state alone should have that privilege& honor to do so.

But seriously, I'm not explicitly for punching people, but it's kinda the citizen's responsibility to act if they see some heinous poo poo or even a crime going down. At the very least that person should be shamed and intimidated. Similar, if a person is being assaulted on the street, it's absolutely correct to step in until police arrives.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

skipThings posted:

Maybe the public is wrong, but maybe you're still helping the Nazi cause if you give in to base emotions and anger, instead of doing what's right.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Showing up with your wehraboo Nazi flag to a demonstration is literally a crime in Germany. The question is not whether that person ought to be punched, but if the state alone should have that privilege& honor to do so.

But seriously, I'm not explicitly for punching people, but it's kinda the citizen's responsibility to act if they see some heinous poo poo or even a crime going down. At the very least that person should be shamed and intimidated. Similar, if a person is being assaulted on the street, it's absolutely correct to step in until police arrives.
People always come with this false dichotomy: "either you punch 'em, or you do nothing".

It's a false dichotomy.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
yes let's absolutely have this discussion in yet another thread

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Cingulate posted:

Maybe the public is wrong, but maybe you're still helping the Nazi cause if you give in to base emotions and anger, instead of doing what's right.

People always come with this false dichotomy: "either you punch 'em, or you do nothing".

It's a false dichotomy.

Stfu you moron.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
wenn ich auf Cingulate klicke kommt immer so ein "Öööiiihhhh" sound???

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cingulate posted:

It's a false dichotomy.

This isn't Star Wars, you don't turn into a Nazi by punching one and you don't turn anyone else into a Nazi by punching one. One of the biggest problems with Nazis these days is that there is too little protest against them, not the quality of the protest that is there. And this despite the media coverage Nazi rallies get. The reason that people *might* get offended and side with the Nazis when you punch them is that people still haven't really learned that it's perfectly alright to punch Nazis and it is indeed your civic duty to punch Nazis.

And how do people learn best? Repetition, repetition, repetition.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

Grendels Dad posted:

This isn't Star Wars, you don't turn into a Nazi by punching one and you don't turn anyone else into a Nazi by punching one. One of the biggest problems with Nazis these days is that there is too little protest against them, not the quality of the protest that is there. And this despite the media coverage Nazi rallies get. The reason that people *might* get offended and side with the Nazis when you punch them is that people still haven't really learned that it's perfectly alright to punch Nazis and it is indeed your civic duty to punch Nazis.

And how do people learn best? Repetition, repetition, repetition.

How many nazis will you need to punch until nazism has been punched away? Is nazism a problem that can be solved on any level by punching? And who will learn what by the left going on a nazi punching spree? I also fear that the rest of society will rather 'learn' (helped by springer presse) that contemporary leftism is rapidly cutting its ties with any concept of civil discourse when its members run around punching anyone who looks and acts like a nazi (while acting nonviolently).

Also the idea that it's our civic duty to violently attack human beings with different (althoug horrible) opionions, even when they haven't attacked anyone and just stated these opinions - is really problematic.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Cingulate posted:

Ok, regardless of whether violence is called for in this case, do you really think the public goes "hmm these nazis do have a good ideology but I just don't feel they're marginalized enough yet to seem sympathetic"? Like, the only thing preventing a large amount of people go full fash is that they have yet to see a picture of a bleeding skinhead?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

Ok, regardless of whether violence is called for in this case, do you really think the public goes "hmm these nazis do have a good ideology but I just don't feel they're marginalized enough yet to seem sympathetic"? Like, the only thing preventing a large amount of people go full fash is that they have yet to see a picture of a bleeding skinhead?

No, unless you reach the level of literal swastika waving heil hitlering cartoon nazis like in Charlottesville, the general public has no clue who is punching whom beyond "the press calls half of them right wing and the other half left wing" and automatically sides against whoever threw the first punch.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 18, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Looks like that 6,80 deal for Windows 10 was indeed to good to be true (at least upon initial attempt). I fell into the category of 1 out of 6 buyers whose key has issues during activation.

The whole process appears a little shady at first, but I can see how it works. You're doing telephone activation via Microsoft's activation service, enter your installation ID, and then get a confirmation ID based on the product key you receive. If, however, your installation ID doesn't work, you're boned, which appears to be the case for those negative reviews on Amazon. Sent a mail to the seller requesting a different key to give it one more try.

Might also give one of the 16,80 deals a try, also a verified Amazon seller, with a higher percentage of positive reviews to negative reviews stemming from that Fehlerbild I mentioned. If that one doesn't work either, I'm probably just biting the bullet and shelling out 120 bucks for a Microsoft-sold Windows 10 Home version.

Do unactivated Windows installations still last 30 days?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SavageGentleman posted:

How many nazis will you need to punch until nazism has been punched away? Is nazism a problem that can be solved on any level by punching? And who will learn what by the left going on a nazi punching spree? I also fear that the rest of society will rather 'learn' (helped by springer presse) that contemporary leftism is rapidly cutting its ties with any concept of civil discourse when its members run around punching anyone who looks and acts like a nazi (while acting nonviolently).

Also the idea that it's our civic duty to violently attack human beings with different (althoug horrible) opionions, even when they haven't attacked anyone and just stated these opinions - is really problematic.

The very first question is incredibly misguided, as if any measure that wont take care of the problem immediately and conclusively is to be dismissed. The problem solved by punching a Nazi is that there is one less Nazi walking around un-punched. Nazis will learn the hard way that there is opposition to their disgusting ideology. The public might snap out of their apathy and actually discuss the topic instead of showing some token outrage of the latest front page news on GMX.

Nazism is an inherently violent ideology. It's not a matter of differing opinions. Nazis want to gently caress you up. That they haven't done so yet doesn't mean you should or can enter a meaningful discourse with them, because they are loving Nazis. It's kind of the point that they will use any form of discourse, abuse any kind of system of peaceful coexistence to further their cause (gently caress people who are not Nazis up).

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

Grendels Dad posted:

The problem solved by punching a Nazi is that there is one less Nazi walking around un-punched. Nazis will learn the hard way that there is opposition to their disgusting ideology.

What makes you think that punching a nazi will make him stop being a nazi? What makes you think he or the rest of society will take away the lesson that you want - better not be a nazi (or we will hurt you) - instead of the lesson that people who are dehumanizing their adversaries and picturing themselves as heroic vigilantes handing out divine justice are starting to give off really creepy vibes?

edit: I'm sure groups of left activists beating up unarmed people will provoke discussions in the public - but most likely not the kind of discussions you are hoping for.

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 18, 2017

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

botany posted:

yes let's absolutely have this discussion in yet another thread
We essentially had it with the G20 talk.

Pand posted:

Stfu you moron.
Randler, there's your answer

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

Ok, regardless of whether violence is called for in this case, do you really think the public goes "hmm these nazis do have a good ideology but I just don't feel they're marginalized enough yet to seem sympathetic"?
No, I don't think that's what the public does, or that that'd be the problem.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Cingulate posted:

We essentially had it with the G20 talk.

and about 4 times in the USpol/Trump thread. the really annoying thing isn't your stance anyway (i thought the same way until a couple of years ago, btw) but the fact that the discussion is always the same, nobody ever changes their mind, no new clever arguments emerge, so we're all just going through the motions, knowing what the outcome will be right at the start.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

botany posted:

and about 4 times in the USpol/Trump thread. the really annoying thing isn't your stance anyway (i thought the same way until a couple of years ago, btw) but the fact that the discussion is always the same, nobody ever changes their mind, no new clever arguments emerge, so we're all just going through the motions, knowing what the outcome will be right at the start.
Yeah, of course, I agree.
It's a weird discussion. Usually when people try to pain me as something vile, they misrepresent what I say. In this case, they just ignore it.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

SavageGentleman posted:

What makes you think that punching a nazi will make him stop being a nazi? What makes you think he or the rest of society will take away the lesson that you want - better not be a nazi (or we will hurt you) - instead of the lesson that people who are dehumanizing their adversaries and picturing themselves as heroic vigilantes handing out divine justice are starting to give off really creepy vibes?

edit: I'm sure groups of left activists beating up unarmed people will provoke discussions in the public - but most likely not the kind of discussions you are hoping for.

nazies, they punch nazies, not random people they disagree with

and anyway you try to wiggle out of that wont work, antifa does not go to the local JU and misch them auf

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

and anyway you try to wiggle out of that wont work, antifa does not go to the local JU and misch them auf

So you are in favor of lynch justice yes?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Then the real-life antifa seems to have a way narrower definition of nazi or fascists than DnD does. So I guess it's only a question of time until antifa gets called nazis by DnD as well. :buddy:

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Goa Tse-tung posted:

At my current gig I live in the Student/Assiviertel of the town and last week I walked home from work and had my good shirt on and was walking rather fast and rhythmically because it was raining and I wanted to get home fast. 2 guys in black hoodies stopped me by standing in my way and accused me of marching like a Nazi and so on and so forth. Thing is I lived here for a long time a while back and its kind of "my Kiez" so I told them to gently caress off to their parents houses and play a bit Xbox so they don't get into trouble.

My point here is that young adults looking for trouble have always been young adults looking for trouble and from my POV whenever I get in contact with antifa people (and I do that a lot, mostly having a few beers with them or playing cards or both) it seems clear to me that they aren't the romanticized and much lauded nations immune system against Nazis and Neo-Nazis, but simply young adults looking for trouble who happen to grow up in a far lefti-ish area.

Fascism is a political movement that should be seen as such and treated as such. Also history has clearly shown that street riots and such ALWAYS play into the hands of Fascism as one of that movements shtick is to promise to bring back law and order to said streets. And that always got the political moderates and middle class into the boat and from there things always went reliably downhill.

So yes, promoting "punch a Nazi in the face" (which on the street translates to "punch a guy in the face who you think walks funnily or wears clothes you don't like") is a dumb idea short term as you commit a crime and long term because you actually play into the hands of fascists.

Of course it is necessary to stop talking and start acting (by which I mean violence) at some point but we are talking civil war here and not "go out and punch whomever you disgaree with".

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

dogboy posted:

Fascism is a political movement that should be seen as such and treated as such. Also history has clearly shown that street riots and such ALWAYS play into the hands of Fascism as one of that movements shtick is to promise to bring back law and order to said streets. And that always got the political moderates and middle class into the boat and from there things always went reliably downhill.

alright maybe the rest of your post is ok but this isn't, because it worked in the UK

we didn't fight them in the streets enough imo

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Goa Tse-tung posted:

alright maybe the rest of your post is ok but this isn't, because it worked in the UK

we didn't fight them in the streets enough imo

I get your point and probably we are both simply drawing a different line in a gray area here. I'd refine "street riots" to "unorganized street riots without a clear and well communicated political message".

Also if you look at political messages like those of (ye olden) KPD or the (modern day) MLPD I'd probably refine even more to "political message which isn't complete insanity and makes the moderates and middle class make irritated faces".

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
ihr gehört alle mit dem klammerbeutel gepudert, so.

speaking of pudern:

https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article167763036/Wenn-einer-von-euch-AfD-waehlt-schmink-ich-euch-kaputt.html

:D

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Domestic fascism probably has trouble taking hold when most of the people it appeals to are already picked up by the royal armed forces to spread the Empire and keep the Irish in check.

Guess we'll see whether there'll be a revival once Brexit kills off the last delusions of England as the city on the hill.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Randler posted:

Domestic fascism probably has trouble taking hold when most of the people it appeals to are already picked up by the royal armed forces to spread the Empire and keep the Irish in check.

Guess we'll see whether there'll be a revival once Brexit kills off the last delusions of England as the city on the hill.

wait wait wait

Conscription is... good? :stonk:

no that can't be right, also illogical.

Imperialism is good.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Conscription is... good? :stonk:

Sulla did nothing wrong. :colbert:

(Oh, you said conscription.)

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

https://deinwahl.de/home

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

This is a bad way to do a wahl-o-mat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

This is a bad way to do a wahl-o-mat.

It's not perfect no, but checking a party's actual votes instead of their campaign promises is at least an attempt at getting a different picture.