Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I super enjoyed XxX Return of Xander Cage. Fully half the scenes were characters coming up to Vin Diesel and telling him how they've heard of him and he's the coolest guy ever and they would like to have sex with him now. The other half are him being upstaged by much cooler and much stupider characters.

They have a "wild card" character whose super ability is he crashes every thing he drives.

When Ice Cube shows up a character literally exclaims "That's Darius Stone, the XXX of 2005!"

A hot hacker agrees to help Xander Cage, but only if he can first have sex with seven of her handmaidens.

It's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen and basically what Suicide Squad would look like if it were a good movie.

The DJ character was the stupidest and most useless character I can remember being in a film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lobok posted:

Yeah, fridging the wife early on felt a little unnecessary when the setting and premise of the story already was about Sauron, orcs, and evil taking over the land. Not like you really need a reason to want to stop the spread of evil, though to be fair I think the personal link was to help explain why when you die you are able to come back or link with your Elven Casper buddy.

The gravewalker and his glowy sidekick are just a sideshow to the real stars, the Orcs. I really hope Shadows of War has a playable Orc.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah, honestly Shadow of Mordor's story pretty much just exists as a reason to get Talion to go to Mordor and gently caress some orcs up

like, in an ordinary situation going to Mordor would be an insane and/or completely moronic idea for a Man, so they had to give Talion some kind of reason to go in there without giving a poo poo if he gets beaten up by orcs

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Turning Tolkien's work into generic grimdark fantasy is delightful in its poetic justice. He really does deserve it for inspiring generations of crap writers.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Turning Tolkien's work into generic grimdark fantasy is delightful in its poetic justice. He really does deserve it for inspiring generations of crap writers.

I don't know if you've played Shadow of Mordor, but the stuff we're talking about takes like... maybe 10 minutes tops? and the rest of the game is the literal opposite of grimdark and actually really hilarious

e: like I'm not going to say it's even remotely respectful to Tolkien, in fact it kinda goes out of its way to poo poo on Tolkien Canon, but "grimdark" is the absolute last word I would use to describe Shadow of Mordor, the game containing Ratbag the Coward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYi4FfioiSw

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do like the overall theme of 'This isn't going to end well' with the game, so far it doesn't clash too badly with the tone of the films at least; turning evil's power against itself doesn't work in the long run. Though it remains to be seen if they gently caress all that up in Shadows of War.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Peanut President posted:

You almost got me with this.

Robin Williams was such a nerd he named his daughter after Zelda.

Not Zelda Fitzgerald either, the actual 8-bit NES game.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Like yourself?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CelticPredator posted:

Like yourself?

Glass Houses.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't know if you've played Shadow of Mordor, but the stuff we're talking about takes like... maybe 10 minutes tops? and the rest of the game is the literal opposite of grimdark and actually really hilarious

e: like I'm not going to say it's even remotely respectful to Tolkien, in fact it kinda goes out of its way to poo poo on Tolkien Canon, but "grimdark" is the absolute last word I would use to describe Shadow of Mordor, the game containing Ratbag the Coward

"Grimdark" is probably not the best word, but it's not like comedy and dark, endlessly cynical sci-fi/fantasy schlock are mutually exclusive - in fact, comedy is necessary to make it palatable. Game of Thrones is also grim, endlessly cynical fantasy schlock and it has loads of dark comedy.

CelticPredator posted:

Like yourself?

Please, let your internet grudge rest.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 18, 2017

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

syscall girl posted:

Robin Williams was such a nerd he named his daughter after Zelda.

Not Zelda Fitzgerald either, the actual 8-bit NES game.

And then he starred in a commercial for a Zelda game with his daughter

And then he killed himself :(

The moral of the story is, don't play Zelda games

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Zelda Fitzgerald seems to be having a weird Renaissance. I think I've seen about six different projects about her in development.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Please don't call him a coward, he died a hero. RIP best character in Mordor.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Skwirl posted:

Glass Houses.

Don't care, dawg.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Please don't call him a coward, he died a hero. RIP best character in Mordor.

I wasn't calling him anything, that's his actual name. I agree, though.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I super enjoyed XxX Return of Xander Cage. Fully half the scenes were characters coming up to Vin Diesel and telling him how they've heard of him and he's the coolest guy ever and they would like to have sex with him now. The other half are him being upstaged by much cooler and much stupider characters.

They have a "wild card" character whose super ability is he crashes every thing he drives.

When Ice Cube shows up a character literally exclaims "That's Darius Stone, the XXX of 2005!"

A hot hacker agrees to help Xander Cage, but only if he can first have sex with seven of her handmaidens.

It's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen and basically what Suicide Squad would look like if it were a good movie.

Suicide Squad has a way better aesthetic about everything. I found Xander Cage kind of as lame as the first.

The funny thing is that State of the Union is still easily the best film out of all of them. It's such a cheap-rear end masterpiece, like The Marine or London Has Fallen.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah "look like" was the wrong term. I just mean it was cohesive and easy to follow and all characters were equally extraneous instead of some sticking out like sore thumbs. Of course Squad "looked" a ton better.

Although Aesthetic-wise they did both share that flaming character description card popping up whenever someone was introduced.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The best thing in the XXX series is the extra on the XXX2 DVD where they explain where Xander Cage was during this movie. It's the pettiest thing.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah "look like" was the wrong term. I just mean it was cohesive and easy to follow and all characters were equally extraneous instead of some sticking out like sore thumbs. Of course Squad "looked" a ton better.

Although Aesthetic-wise they did both share that flaming character description card popping up whenever someone was introduced.

That's another point in State of the Union's favor. It's low-key, but it still just "pops" way more than either of the other films, which have surprisingly uninspired action directing, even for scenes as simple as Diesel in the diner.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The best thing in the XXX series is the extra on the XXX2 DVD where they explain where Xander Cage was during this movie. It's the pettiest thing.

Yeah, the thing is that that's way funnier than any actual Xander Cage-xXx movie. It's profound at how much better the back of some dude's head is than Vin Diesel's actual performance.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

K. Waste posted:

That's another point in State of the Union's favor. It's low-key, but it still just "pops"

Okay, I need to watch this.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

XXX3 is in my book as having the worst action directing i have ever seen in a cinema

you have an island rave scene where militia comes attack party people. let's make everything brown and murky!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I went and saw Dunkirk the other day and ahead of us in line at the ticket boot was a man of probably 45-50 years. Bald, with a white/greying goatee and the loving xXx logo tattooed on the back of his head. I guess that as a bald man he really identified with Vin Diesel.

That is my xXx story.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

K. Waste posted:

The funny thing is that State of the Union is still easily the best film out of all of them. It's such a cheap-rear end masterpiece, like The Marine or London Has Fallen.

It 100% has the best moments in any of the XXX films. I would have said the dude who wrote that needs more work but I'm going to guess that the crew on-set added the spice the others lack after checking his credits.

Spoiler: one of these things is not like the others, holy poo poo.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

K. Waste posted:

That's another point in State of the Union's favor. It's low-key, but it still just "pops" way more than either of the other films, which have surprisingly uninspired action directing, even for scenes as simple as Diesel in the diner.

Yeah, the thing is that that's way funnier than any actual Xander Cage-xXx movie. It's profound at how much better the back of some dude's head is than Vin Diesel's actual performance.

wow holy hell props to the cinematographer, some of those shots are fantastic and the rest are just excellent

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

END ME SCOOB posted:

It 100% has the best moments in any of the XXX films. I would have said the dude who wrote that needs more work but I'm going to guess that the crew on-set added the spice the others lack after checking his credits.

Simon Kinberg is the new Akiva Goldsman.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Full disclosure: both my favorite xXx movies and my favorite F&F movies are the second ones that Vin Diesel was 'too cool' to come back for.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

K. Waste posted:

Full disclosure: both my favorite xXx movies and my favorite F&F movies are the second ones that Vin Diesel was 'too cool' to come back for.

2 Fast 2 Furious is a close second favorite after Tokyo Drift for me. I never really thought about it, but I guess Vin Diesel's character never really clicked for me in that series. I'm surprised that series ever actually became a series because I always found the first one to be painfully boring considering it's a movie about street-racing thieves.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

FELD1 posted:

2 Fast 2 Furious is a close second favorite after Tokyo Drift for me. I never really thought about it, but I guess Vin Diesel's character never really clicked for me in that series. I'm surprised that series ever actually became a series because I always found the first one to be painfully boring considering it's a movie about street-racing thieves.

Like The Return of Xander Cage, it's a franchise that seems to be based entirely off of a very grandiose (and inaccurate) remembrance about Vin Diesel being some kind of pioneering badass of early-'00s action cinema. Which is fine, because more often than not the F&F sequels have been better than the original, which is just kind of a not-as-good version of Point Break.

I've seen a surprising amount of Rob Cohen movies, which I guess isn't that surprising since he's more of a 'workman' director for lack of a better term, but both F&F and xXx were a major step down from Dragon or even Dragonheart or The Skulls. Like, poo poo, I'd even say that J-Lo star-vehicle The Boy Next Door was better just in terms of pure trash cinema.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Boy Next Door was great.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Boy Next Door was great.

"I love your mom's cookies" is one of the new, great, "Ugh, that gross son of a bitch"-lines.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I was honestly surprised how raunchy it was cause the erotic thriller has been dead and buried a long time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

END ME SCOOB posted:

In his lukewarm defense, Days of Future Past had an okay script, and given the production difficulties of Fantastic Four, there's probably a huge difference between what he wrote down and what appeared on screen

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

K. Waste posted:

"I love your mom's cookies" is one of the new, great, "Ugh, that gross son of a bitch"-lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSdYqFNiV6Q

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

K. Waste posted:

]

I've seen a surprising amount of Rob Cohen movies, which I guess isn't that surprising since he's more of a 'workman' director for lack of a better term, but both F&F and xXx were a major step down from Dragon or even Dragonheart or The Skulls. Like, poo poo, I'd even say that J-Lo star-vehicle The Boy Next Door was better just in terms of pure trash cinema.

I don't know about that. Besides being solid B movie vehicular entertainment they had been banished to dvd starring Michael Madsen by that time, he introduced the exaggerated reality that the series honed to a Looney tunes edge by Fast Five. There's a lot of ways F&F could turn out and I think he introduced enough fresh things that makes it stand out.

That said, xXx is not really good and the only part of it that is is the total confidence in Vin's ability to carry it. Extreme sports were not really a thing anymore, the action is often second rate Bond, although the south American testing ground is nice although pointless. But the movie is fun just for how hard it banks on the belief the audience must be going "holy poo poo, it's Vin Diesel" and that kind of became true as I got further along.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The MSJ posted:

Then of course we will have this new Chucky movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QvPzJCTbXY

what is it about the camera that makes these movies look so cheap?

also the doll looks worse than it did in the original movie almost 30 years ago.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

what is it about the camera that makes these movies look so cheap?

also the doll looks worse than it did in the original movie almost 30 years ago.

Well it's DTV release, so they probably didn't spend as much money on it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i was more thinking is it a specific type of camera. it has the same look as anytime a youtuber makes a "real" movie. a lot of those cheap movies have that look and maybe someone in the know could fill me in.

unless you meant the doll!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There should be a Chucky vs Leprechaun

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

i was more thinking is it a specific type of camera. it has the same look as anytime a youtuber makes a "real" movie. a lot of those cheap movies have that look and maybe someone in the know could fill me in.

unless you meant the doll!

I meant both, I think the cheap look probably has more to do with substandard lighting and less time spent on color timing in post-production than the specific camera, but I'm not an expert or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think it's just that poorly done digital has a specific look, which is different to what, say, crudely shot moves in 16mm used to look like. Unfortunately while bad film photography can sometimes still be interesting (the blotchiness sometimes creates interesting effects), bad video just looks really chintzy and sterile. With few exceptions I find bad movies shot on film more watchable than their video equivalents.

• Locked thread