Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dilber posted:

My buddy that does some work with the FAU athletics department told me that Lane has been hitting on all the women in the department, and they all hate him. I'm trying to get a joey freshwater picture signed, but I don't want my friend to lose his job.

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

iospace posted:

And most of them don't like the proper team to cheer for now and always.

I'm talking Wisconsin, of course :smug:

My wife is the biggest SEC homer and I love it. She has watched college football her whole life and still doesn't think it exists outside of the south. Last year she was on a research trip with some other grad students from Wisconsin and she asked them if they had a football team.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I've known two couples who just did the courthouse thing on their own time and then later threw a big rear end party at their house as the "reception." Frankly, it owned. No absurd wedding costs or stressful planning for them, no ceremony for the guests to sit through or formal clothing required, just the fun parts.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Duckaerobics posted:

My wife is the biggest SEC homer and I love it. She has watched college football her whole life and still doesn't think it exists outside of the south. Last year she was on a research trip with some other grad students from Wisconsin and she asked them if they had a football team.

Is your wife a poster here?

Because I'd believe it given how some of the SEC fans post.

RumbleFish posted:

I've known two couples who just did the courthouse thing on their own time and then later threw a big rear end party at their house as the "reception." Frankly, it owned. No absurd wedding costs or stressful planning for them, no ceremony for the guests to sit through or formal clothing required, just the fun parts.

See, that's the good way to do it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Crotch Bat posted:

Weddings aren't wastes of time but they are wastes of money. You can 100% spend that money in better ways that will benefit you more as a couple. Blowing that kind of money in a 24 hour period is loving retarded.

Last night, I was informed how much it was going to be just send out save the date cards and I literally made this face :stonk:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/brett_mcmurphy/status/898547102418128897

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

RumbleFish posted:

We considered doing this and basically doing a marriage celebration tour back to Ohio/Pennsylvania so all of our relatives didn't have to fly across the country, but instead we decided to ruin football season for everybody. Plus as soon as we got engaged pretty much everybody we care about started planning their Seattle vacations anyways.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

RumbleFish posted:

I was told this would piss off family members. To which I replied "So?" And then my S/O overruled me.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

This is the former Beef O' Brady's and Bitcoin Bowl. It is clearly the best bowl

E: IT WAS ALSO MAGICJACK COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS THE BEST

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 18, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Neil Armbong posted:

Yeah, my first thought was total BS to try to get some school somewhere to take a flyer because maybe he's not that toxic, but I think he's a few years of from a college gig. Baylor's shithead basketball coach keeps getting jobs, so I think Briles lands somewhere in a few years.

Bliss has had an NAIA gig sandwiched between two high school head coaching jobs. He didn't land that high school job until 5 years after the Baylor stuff. Granted, he was never as hot of a commodity as Briles, but the work he's gotten has been extremely low-profile, on the margins type stuff.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

harperdc posted:

Hi I've got a June trip to the U.S./basic ceremony and an early September wedding reception in Japan planned for next year and also have the fun of (eventually) helping organizing the respective family members who need to fly across the Pacific for each of those. And that on top of what a Japanese reception is going to cost.

yeah yeah college football season rah rah rah but you know what I'll be taking my family to see a day of the sumo tournament in Tokyo so that'll own.

Theres a waifu joke in here somewhere

Dilber posted:

My buddy that does some work with the FAU athletics department told me that Lane has been hitting on all the women in the department, and they all hate him. I'm trying to get a joey freshwater picture signed, but I don't want my friend to lose his job.

Who could have seen this coming?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

This is the best, most classiest bowl name. You can't name a bowl better than this one.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

drunk leprechaun posted:

That was mostly my attitude. Our wedding date was picked by the venue since welp when it's free you don't get to pick. Ended up being the same day as VT-UNC but whatever. Only bummer is a good friend(and fellow goon) who is doing the college ref thing and welp can't take two Saturday's off in a season for weddings.

This is a definite bummer. Fall weddings are unavoidable, but for those of us that work with the sport it makes them really inconvenient and difficult to work around.

I did mine in the spring and it owned so gently caress the haters, avoid football season there are 38 other weeks of the year.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

This is the former Beef O' Brady's and Bitcoin Bowl. It is clearly the best bowl

E: IT WAS ALSO MAGICJACK COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS THE BEST

Don't forget that it's played in possibly the worst stadium on earth

Re: wedding dates one of my best friends had his during Game 7 of the NBA Finals last year (it was Sunday, but it was a Jewish wedding so that's standard). There was no TV and I was the only person in the entire building that cared, so I spent the tail end of the reception staring at my phone watching a crappy WatchESPN feed and trying to cover up the barrage of spoiler texts I was getting from a drunk Cavs fan during one of the greatest moments in the history of sports.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 18, 2017

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Bowl names have peaked.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Omg

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

This. It's the biggest dump of a stadium next to Joe Louis Arena, but at least that has history behind it

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

vyst posted:

This. It's the biggest dump of a stadium next to Joe Louis Arena, but at least that has history behind it

And the Joe is no longer in use.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Frinkahedron posted:

This is the best, most classiest bowl name. You can't name a bowl better than this one.

The Big rear end Fans Big rear end Bowl Game hasn't happened yet

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Legion Field isn't in St Pete

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It is also Extremely Good that the lawn mowing pirates are sponsoring an indoor bowl game played on lovely artificial turf

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

LeeMajors posted:

Legion Field isn't in St Pete

Ladd-Peebles Stadium would like some representation here.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

Ladd-Peebles Stadium would like some representation here.

This guy gets it

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Truck Nutz Bowl

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Nice title change

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

I'm still laughing at this

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
lol you guys legit think there's a worse stadium than Tropicana?

lol just lol

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Crotch Bat posted:

Weddings aren't wastes of time but they are wastes of money. You can 100% spend that money in better ways that will benefit you more as a couple. Blowing that kind of money in a 24 hour period is loving retarded.

Agreed if you have some giant super fancy wedding with a reception at the Four Seasons and a famous wedding photographer and stuff like that. However, if you do something like my wife and I and have your reception at an Elks' Lodge in suburban Michigan, it's pretty inexpensive and super fun.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Crotch Bat posted:

I mean I don't plan on getting married any time soon after how my last relationship ended so it's not my dime!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

James Franklin getting paid

[quote="http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20379380/penn-state-nittany-lions-coach-james-franklin-gets-lucrative-new-six-year-deal"
]Penn State has approved a new contract for football coach James Franklin that will average $5.73 million per year for six years, sources confirmed to ESPN on Friday.

Franklin was scheduled to make $4.7 million this year under his previous deal. The new contract places Franklin among the five highest-paid coaches in college football along with Alabama's Nick Saban, Michigan's Jim Harbaugh, Ohio State's Urban Meyer and Florida State's Jimbo Fisher.

SI.com earlier reported the terms of Franklin's new deal. The university board unanimously approved Franklin's extension Friday.

Franklin, 45, led the Nittany Lions to an 11-3 record and the Big Ten championship last year -- the team's first since 2008 and first outright title since 1994. Penn State was No. 7 in the final AP poll, its best finish since 2005.

In three years at Penn State, Franklin has compiled a 25-15 record, taking over a program that had been rocked by NCAA sanctions after the Jerry Sandusky scandal.

Penn State has ESPN's No. 3-ranked recruiting class for 2018, which would be its highest spot since ESPN began its recruiting rankings in 2006. The Nittany Lions have 13 commits from the ESPN 300 for next season.[/quote]

He should give most of that money to Joe Morehead imo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He was close to getting fired like halfway through last year lol. PSU can afford it so whatever I guess but it's gonna look bad when Moorhead leaves for a HC job

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
You really gonna pay Urban Meyer money for James Franklin?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Harbaugh and Franklin getting paid championship money without delivering, or even coming close.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Randaconda posted:

Harbaugh and Franklin getting paid championship money without delivering, or even coming close.

Really trying to emulate the SEC I reckon

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeeMajors posted:

Really trying to emulate the SEC I reckon

lol

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I realize Penn State's got some ballers right now, but am I wrong for being pretty skeptical that they won't sustain the success of the last 1/2 of the season into 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real Name Grover posted:

I realize Penn State's got some ballers right now, but am I wrong for being pretty skeptical that they won't sustain the success of the last 1/2 of the season into 2017

You're not. We all saw how the Big 10 teams started losing as soon as they played good teams in the post-season instead of the soft Big 10 schedule.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Randaconda posted:

Trips to Pasadena hit the key erogenous zones of boosters for both of those schools. Of course, only Franklin has met that goal.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

Bliss has had an NAIA gig sandwiched between two high school head coaching jobs. He didn't land that high school job until 5 years after the Baylor stuff. Granted, he was never as hot of a commodity as Briles, but the work he's gotten has been extremely low-profile, on the margins type stuff.

The most telling thing about Bliss is the way he hosed up that NAIA job. 15 years later or however long it was when that documentary about the Baylor basketball stuff came out for no reason at all he doubled down on "You remember that murder victim I slandered? Yeah he really was a bad guy, drugs all over the place."

I mean....just keep your mouth shut or say you got caught up in a process that you couldn't handle and you screwed up or something. Maybe actually apologize? Don't show everyone that you actually are that slimy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Grittybeard posted:

The most telling thing about Bliss is the way he hosed up that NAIA job. 15 years later or however long it was when that documentary about the Baylor basketball stuff came out for no reason at all he doubled down on "You remember that murder victim I slandered? Yeah he really was a bad guy, drugs all over the place."

I mean....just keep your mouth shut or say you got caught up in a process that you couldn't handle and you screwed up or something. Maybe actually apologize? Don't show everyone that you actually are that slimy.

He behaves like a man who truly believes he didn't do anything wrong. I think he's sold himself on the narrative he came up with in 2005, it's the only way the fiasco last year really makes sense.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 18, 2017

• Locked thread