Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Samael posted:

As a static, we are having trouble with the dragon add in O3S, what's the optimal way of tanking it?

There's three ways I've seen work. All three involve leaving Halicarnassus in the center

1) OT takes it to the corner behind the party. Ribbit will always face the party, OT dodges it by going deep into the corner
2) OT takes it right behind the MT. Ribbit will usually target the party but will sometimes target the tanks. Dodging it as OT without cleaving everyone is a pain but possible if you sprint into the corner
3) OT takes it to the same spot as 2, but the MT stacks with the party. As far as I can tell this has no advantages and forces the melees to save true north for it, but I've seen multiple parties do it so maybe I'm missing something

In any strat, ranged DPS will start attacking it as soon as the OT has it. Melee DPS stay on Halicarnassus until they're safe from ribbit.Trying to tank the dragon in melee range is just asking for impossible ribbits, don't even try. The dragon has very little hp anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
#2 is the best but the dragon basically ends up on the boss so melee can target it pre-ribbit. The big gain behind this strategy is nobody has to concern themselves with where ribbit is being aimed. After the cave waltz everyone goes NE because there was never a way for ribbit to be aimed in that direction. The dragon will not cleave during this window.

After ribbit you reset positions and do it quick. The Mt and melee need to be mindful of cleave range, yeah, it's a pretty big arc and I've seen people take a step into the hitbox and die to it.

Here are some time stamps to help illustrate:

00:03:13.376 Dragon casts Frost Breath
00:03:13.555 Hali casts Earthly Dance 
00:03:15.034 Hali begins casting Ribbit 
00:03:19.027 Hali casts Ribbit 
00:03:23.510 Dragon casts Frost Breath

Try not to cleave the MT on the earthly dance too, that can suck. It's not the end of the world if you do and they are prepared.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 18, 2017

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

We do a #1 where the OT runs to the MT during ribbit if it targets the party because the Dragon's breath attack is several seconds after ribbit goes off. We could improve it, but we're clearing in one shot these days so we're not likely to muck with the strategy.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Any advice for a newbie AST? I'm lvl 45 and so far I've hit some rough patches w/qarn and Darkhold my least favorite places from ARR.

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.
We drag Hali halfway to NW and pull the dragon westwards. Half the time the OT gets frogged but who cares

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Vil posted:

Mostly yeah. Depending on your experience with tanking in general (aggro and survivability primarily, also things like positioning and not being pointlessly wiggly), it's also totally fine if you're newer to just chill in Grit full-time until you get a clearer sense of when you're totally fine dropping it and when you're not comfortable dropping it.

The long-term goal for endgame tanking is, yes, be in Grit only when you need it for survival or aggro, otherwise drop Grit for more deeps. However, much though more deeps is a great overall goal for anyone, it is very definitely always secondary to survival and aggro.

If you get yourself killed (or make your healer cure-bomb you so much that they're losing more DPS than you're gaining), if you're losing aggro and mobs are running around, or even if you're only keeping such a razor-thin aggro lead that it means your DPS are likely holding back... all of those are bigger problems that are more important than min/maxing your personal DPS. Unless you're, like, running with a static and chasing a personal best parse or some poo poo. But for realistic situations that you'll be in 99%+ of the time, the net effect on the group is more important.

That doesn't mean always hide out playing it super safe with nothing but Grit and threat combos either, of course, but point being you'll need to use some judgment and that judgment will come with practice and experience.

It’s almost as if 90% of the time you should just do the thing your class is supposed to do and not try to edgelord out an extra sliver of DPS to finish a dungeon 2 minutes faster :thunk:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It’s almost as if 90% of the time you should just do the thing your class is supposed to do and not try to edgelord out an extra sliver of DPS to finish a dungeon 2 minutes faster :thunk:

:allears:

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.

I'm gonna let you in on the best kept secret in the entire metagame: boss and raid healing is usually completely binary. You cast the heals you always cast in a given situation and go about your business as you always do and outside of tankbusters tank stance makes no difference in regards to the healing you're actually putting out. If you're in tank stance all the time you are giving up free damage and also padding your healers' overheal percentages for no reason.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mystic Cave zOWNd posted:

I'm gonna let you in on the best kept secret in the entire metagame: boss and raid healing is usually completely binary. You cast the heals you always cast in a given situation and go about your business as you always do and outside of tankbusters tank stance makes no difference in regards to the healing you're actually putting out. If you're in tank stance all the time you are giving up free damage and also padding your healers' overheal percentages for no reason.

oh no a whole 20 seconds :jerkbag:

strong bird
May 12, 2009

If a DPS decided not to kill an enemy, or a healer decided not to heal someone, everyone would lose their minds - but a tank can opt not to tank properly and it's OK? I don't think so, buddy.

If I could, I'd institute the following failure conditions and their appropriate punishments:

DPS: Grossly sub-optimal DPS (has to level mechanist 1 level)
Healer: A player dies to trash damage (100 gil fee)
Tank: Any other player is hit by an autoattack (12 hour duty finder lockout or community service (buying glamour crystals for disadvantaged ERPers, etc))

strong bird fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 18, 2017

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Shaving "A COUPLE OF MINUTES :smug: :jerkbag: :laugh: :wom:" off your run is pretty significant when they're already <15 minutes

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

strong bird posted:

If a DPS decided not to kill an enemy, or a healer decided not to heal someone, everyone would lose their minds - but a tank can opt not to tank properly and it's OK? I don't think so, buddy.

Did they lose aggro? No? Then they're tanking properly.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Is it though?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

[quote="“Glagha”" post="“475499548”"]
Did they lose aggro? No? Then they’re tanking properly.
[/quote]

What if in the pursuit of ~*~optimal~*~ dps they do because some person on an Internet forum led them to believe that was more important :thunk:

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Glagha posted:

Did they lose aggro? No? Then they're tanking properly.

Yes

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I'm levelling the Ninja's Class, at level 67~ I still see quite a few truly bad tanks who lose aggro on 2 enemies out of 3 and I have to be the amazing, powerful and smart hero that I am and rescue the innocent and fragile healer with my powerful Stun Move.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

It's just like... we're all heroes here, fightin big dragons and punching gods in their stupid snug faces and for some reason people get lovely about the idea of Hit The Dragon Harder unless their sole job is "hit things hard". We're all here to kill the dragon. gently caress 'im up, fam.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

The tank's job is to stand still and press their three buttons so that the dragon or the little dragons do not deal 531 damage to the healer. Anything else is an innovation not intended by the developers and is not necessary, like healer damage.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The tank's job is to hold everything in range of my flamethrower which I am not allowed to aim for reasons unknown to anyone.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
"Haha loving around trying to do damage as tank so the boss will die a measly 10 seconds faster" kinda rings hollow when you're doing Extreme or Savage and the boss enrages at 2%. Outside that though I don't give a gently caress what any tank is doing and the only reason I ultimately bother to optimize damage when tanking myself is that tanking is the easiest and most boring role in the game and trying to squeeze out extra damage at least gives me something to do. Yeah I definitely prefer it if my EXDR is a minute or two quicker because the tank can be arsed to give a poo poo, but most of the time I can't either way.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I guess playerbase either learned how to play or SB changes actually made jobs easier to optimize DPS with because I can remember only one time since expansion release when a roulette dungeon went excruciatingly slow. Which was still a 35 minute Shisui run. But compared to a 15 minute run it's like molasses.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

3k dps vs the 1500 an honest tank does is a "sliver" of dps :thunk:

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

I would rather finish the dungeon two minutes faster 100% of the time which is easy to do as long as the healer isn't a total waste of space.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

jyrque posted:

I guess playerbase either learned how to play or SB changes actually made jobs easier to optimize DPS

It's the latter. People still find ways to suck at DPS, but now their suck slows the entire group down a bit less.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

oh no a whole 20 seconds :jerkbag:

20 seconds is the difference between beating the boss right before he enrages and, uh, the boss enraging.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

jyrque posted:

SB changes actually made jobs easier to optimize DPS

This was a quite often publicly stated objective going into Stormblood.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The gap between good and bad dps can still be large depending. On ala mihgo after the first boss you can grab everything up to the dogs if your healer is on point. Gus was with me a few days ago and sustained over 7k dps for that pack on bard. I've seen sam hit almost 14k for a burst period on that pull and 10k by the time it was done. I usually do around 4-5k on PLD on the big pack.

I've had dps not pass 2k on that pull. :smith:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I've been seeing some great tanks in EXDR dragging tons of mobs along for AoE madness. I just wish Palisade didn't generate enmity. I just want to help out without getting eaten. :(

While we're on the subject, the current EXDR dungeon set has probably been my favorite so far. All three dungeons are super-good, they poo poo materia and green gear all over you, and they're all pretty easy to speedrun.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What if in the pursuit of ~*~optimal~*~ dps they do because some person on an Internet forum led them to believe that was more important :thunk:

At the very worst, the group wipes. Not exactly the end of the world.

You're getting really upset about people playing the game in a way you don't like.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I sometimes lose a target or two on some giant trash packs if they're still being positioned (like if adds come in midway through a pull) and ranged has gone full-hog on something before I have a chance to pick it up, but generally those things are dead in another GCD or two anyway even after I provoke them back.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

I just started playing this game this month and I was skeptical about DPS as a healer. Using Aero and Stone on stuff is OK, but it didn't feel like I was making a huge difference either way. Then I leveled my WHM higher and got Holy and Aero III.

DPS makes healing in dungeons so much more fun. I love it when I don't need to heal on trash packs and can spend some time stunning mobs and letting regen do its thing. I even like it when the tank starts pulling bigger packs and I get to weave together DPS and healing. Maybe things will get a little more hectic on current content, though.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

comingafteryouall posted:

Then I leveled my WHM higher and got Holy and Aero III.

Holy is essentially a defensive cooldown since it stuns. Don't be afraid to swiftcast holy if you want to take heat off of the tank for a couple of seconds, just make sure you won't need it for a rez.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I rarely drop tank stance but it's mostly because I just keep forgetting. :(

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

comingafteryouall posted:

I just started playing this game this month and I was skeptical about DPS as a healer. Using Aero and Stone on stuff is OK, but it didn't feel like I was making a huge difference either way. Then I leveled my WHM higher and got Holy and Aero III.

DPS makes healing in dungeons so much more fun. I love it when I don't need to heal on trash packs and can spend some time stunning mobs and letting regen do its thing. I even like it when the tank starts pulling bigger packs and I get to weave together DPS and healing. Maybe things will get a little more hectic on current content, though.

Try out Arcanist (Scholar) some time. You get a pet that does continual small heals automatically and for dungeon runs at least you will almost never have to do any manual healing. All dps all the time baby!

Hell, the pet even has an auto-Esuna so you won't even have to worry about debuffs on trash packs for the most part.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Hommando posted:

Holy is essentially a defensive cooldown since it stuns. Don't be afraid to swiftcast holy if you want to take heat off of the tank for a couple of seconds, just make sure you won't need it for a rez.

In dungeons, I basically only use Swiftcast with Holy. It freaking rocks and feels awesome.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Leofish posted:

I sometimes lose a target or two on some giant trash packs if they're still being positioned (like if adds come in midway through a pull) and ranged has gone full-hog on something before I have a chance to pick it up, but generally those things are dead in another GCD or two anyway even after I provoke them back.

No, it's completely unacceptable for a random trash mob to get even one hit on the rdm in Kugane Castle. I've been accused of using a jump potion for being in DPS stance for minibosses because I "never learned how to tank" so lately i'm not bothering with stance dancing on midbosses because I don't want to hear the bitching. (I do it anyways on roulette dungeon end bosses once they are below 75% health or so because the aggro rotation is super boring.)

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Give everyone Shirk. Problem solved.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

kzin602 posted:

No, it's completely unacceptable for a random trash mob to get even one hit on the rdm in Kugane Castle. I've been accused of using a jump potion for being in DPS stance for minibosses because I "never learned how to tank" so lately i'm not bothering with stance dancing on midbosses because I don't want to hear the bitching. (I do it anyways on roulette dungeon end bosses once they are below 75% health or so because the aggro rotation is super boring.)

tell them to kick you or stfu, you get an instant q they dont

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I wish they'd just put all the tank swapping as ogcd already. I know PLD is gcds all the way down, I think drk grit is only on deactivation?

Either way, I really wish I had leveled warrior instead of paladin for my casual tanking needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rascyc posted:

I wish they'd just put all the tank swapping as ogcd already. I know PLD is gcds all the way down, I think drk grit is only on deactivation?

Get rid of the shield stance button, give paladins shield stance as a constant passive trait. Keep the sword stance button, put it on occg with a 10 second cooldown or something. This would make things easier to manage, and free up a hotbar button.

I don't know enough about WAR or DRK to comment on their stances.