Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

My morning begins with chinar experience.

First Shanghai colleague removes all common feeder routings from the system, I ask him to open them as those are the only service from Helsinki to Rotterdam, so he opens them and berates me for asking to open existing routes.

Then he denies to open routing via antwerp, telling us that is not allowed, I send him an email with approval for transhipment from his superior, resulting in silence and nothing being done.

Im also responsible for EDI development and requested Shanghai HQ to set up EDIFACT connection with our biggest client. It shouldve been direct connection as requested, instead they created it via 3rd party service provider which does not send the messages to customers system it seems, lmao. But at least they are checking now if the customer is able to see them.

Also one of our large ocean vessels drove 14 knots speed into a sand bank, got stuck and is now delayed for repairs lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

LentThem posted:

now lets talk about being aware of your surroundings for a little

nah

but seriously, this 8 part series on shipping is worth a listen : https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/fusion-media-group-2/containers

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Patrocclesiastes posted:

My morning begins with chinar experience.

First Shanghai colleague removes all common feeder routings from the system, I ask him to open them as those are the only service from Helsinki to Rotterdam, so he opens them and berates me for asking to open existing routes.

Then he denies to open routing via antwerp, telling us that is not allowed, I send him an email with approval for transhipment from his superior, resulting in silence and nothing being done.

Im also responsible for EDI development and requested Shanghai HQ to set up EDIFACT connection with our biggest client. It shouldve been direct connection as requested, instead they created it via 3rd party service provider which does not send the messages to customers system it seems, lmao. But at least they are checking now if the customer is able to see them.

Also one of our large ocean vessels drove 14 knots speed into a sand bank, got stuck and is now delayed for repairs lmao

Impressive anything gets exported from china ever.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

Impressive anything gets exported from china ever.

Or into China.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I can imagine how frustrating it must be. Goondolences.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Was this related to Chinar?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

WarpedNaba posted:

Imagine you're sailing a million tonnes of cargo ship around and rely of accurate reports of weather / sailing conditions. Now imagine receiving these reports from someone whose culture doesn't allow correction of ones own errors or mistakes.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

WarpedNaba posted:

nah it's probably this story: https://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.english/News/1.3046711

not the first time people gently caress up in that bend

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
China Shipping Line. Great, creative name.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Somebody should let Steve Bannon read this thread so can stop worrying about China overtaking the US in 25 years.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

Not really, just a laugh.

In China related things, my Shanghai colleague who i was butting heads with regarding EDI apologized for his mistake and started to fix it, everyone at the office cheered.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

Imagine you're sailing a million tonnes of cargo ship around and rely of accurate reports of weather / sailing conditions. Now imagine receiving these reports from someone whose culture doesn't allow correction of ones own errors or mistakes.

I did suspect that, but

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Not really, just a laugh.

Yeah, best to check.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
China getting into a major war with X and you have logistics run by this clownshow. Peak lols

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

I did suspect that, but

Yeah, best to check.

Yeah, its not the first time one our ships have become stuck from bottom in rivers, couple years back we had one stuck in Hamburg. But I think in both cases pilots were on board so not much of a China issue, just chinese ships

JaucheCharly posted:

China getting into a major war with X and you have logistics run by this clownshow. Peak lols

No idea how much Chinese military logistics would be tied with Cosco but we handle chinese diplomat cargo and they usually bring us Baijiu as thanks which is fun

Patrocclesiastes fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 17, 2017

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

https://www.acast.com/theeconomistasks/theeconomistasks-howdoyouwintheairace

this is great. guy's going all "ya chinar numba 1 in ai" and then at 07:50 she asks him "doesn't it make censoring the internet easier" followed by the most awkward silence

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Pirate Radar posted:

Wait, is "Americans don't like getting STEM degrees" a thing? STEM is all I hear about.

It's not a thing. That's dumb.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Jeoh posted:

https://www.acast.com/theeconomistasks/theeconomistasks-howdoyouwintheairace

this is great. guy's going all "ya chinar numba 1 in ai" and then at 07:50 she asks him "doesn't it make censoring the internet easier" followed by the most awkward silence

He's "One of China's most successful investors, Neil Shen"

:v:: Isn't there a danger that AI can be used as a suppression/surveillance tool in authoritarian countries like China, does that worry you?
:china:: I don't think so.
:v:: Why not?
:china:: [Seven seconds of silence]
:v:: Could you engage with the question a bit?
:v:: It could make censorship of the Internet easier, couldn't it?
:china:: [Pause] No.
:v:: Is it true you just don't want to talk about the implications for AI in an authoritarian society?
:china:: [Five seconds of silence]
:v:: It does leave a bit of a hole around that...
:china:: [Three more seconds of silence]
:v:: Well, we'll move on....

:lol: You could almost hear the lost face escaping the room.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
It's probably more that he could get in legitimate trouble for saying the wrong thing

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
That was pure, unadulterated face dying.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
oops

https://my.mixtape.moe/rpdfxj.mp4

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

"oh that's not so bad i mean it's a hole in the road but no one got ... :stare: "

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Known Lecher posted:

He's "One of China's most successful investors, Neil Shen"

:v:: Isn't there a danger that AI can be used as a suppression/surveillance tool in authoritarian countries like China, does that worry you?
:china:: I don't think so.
:v:: Why not?
:china:: [Seven seconds of silence]
:v:: Could you engage with the question a bit?
:v:: It could make censorship of the Internet easier, couldn't it?
:china:: [Pause] No.
:v:: Is it true you just don't want to talk about the implications for AI in an authoritarian society?
:china:: [Five seconds of silence]
:v:: It does leave a bit of a hole around that...
:china:: [Three more seconds of silence]
:v:: Well, we'll move on....

:lol: You could almost hear the lost face escaping the room.

Link is now dead.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Outrail posted:

Link is now dead.

He lost so much face it killed the link.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

LentThem posted:

now lets talk about being aware of your surroundings for a little

https://my.mixtape.moe/uavbnt.mp4

I can't count the number of these things that I saw hitting, or going over a curb and sending the passengers flying. Best was a guy that had a 6' stack of Styrofoam strapped to the back and he came off a curb, lost control, and rolled it. Every styrofoam container exploded in a shower of little cunks when a cab clipped his overturned scooter. He was apparently ok, but I'm sure him and the cabbie are still standing on the side of the street screaming at each other.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

As soon as I saw what was happening I waited for the inevitable "oblivious person on a scooter" to drive into it. Link did not disappoint.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Patrocclesiastes posted:

In China related things, my Shanghai colleague who i was butting heads with regarding EDI apologized for his mistake and started to fix it, everyone at the office cheered.
And that man, was Albert Einstein.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

whats this about?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Ups_rail posted:

whats this about?

Photos will steal your soul, nuclear power will destroy us, or something close to that.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Photos will steal your soul, nuclear power will destroy us, or something close to that.

I'm still amazed that there hasn't been an enormous nuclear accident in China yet.

It's pretty hard to cover up all that fallout.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
X is good for healthy

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Huh.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-40958209

quote:

When asked about whether the money reached the children in the end he said: "Why should I care that much? I only care about the marketing effect."

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Chinese man autocorrected to Chinamen in another thread. God speed, goons. I'll see you in a week.

Also I'm blaming this thread for that. Lol.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

Chinese man autocorrected to Chinamen in another thread. God speed, goons. I'll see you in a week.

Also I'm blaming this thread for that. Lol.

Use that week to work on your mad gains. Beef blood good for healthy.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/why-chinese-people-only-drink-hot-water-and-why-you-should-consider-it-as-well/ar-AAnegU4

Why Chinese People Only Drink Hot Water and Why You Should Consider It As Well posted:

I'll be honest, there isn't much scientific research that actually backs this up. I know this because the stubborn 14 year-old me always tried telling my mom that this wasn't a real thing. My classic response was always, "Water is water, how can it be bad for you?"

However, even though research doesn't do much to back this up, we do have to admit that the Chinese are one of the healthiest populations out there. They pay a lot of attention to daily health practices that over time result in a very healthy lifestyle.
:pwn:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

indeed chinese so healthy why on any given day at school only a mere 1/3 of the class will be out sick

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

However, even though research doesn't do much to back this up, we do have to admit that the Chinese are one of the healthiest populations out there. They pay a lot of attention to daily health practices that over time result in a very healthy lifestyle.

He said, in a very cancery voice.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
https://twitter.com/tomgrundy/status/898458787505258498

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

indeed chinese so healthy why on any given day at school only a mere 1/3 of the class will be out sick

This was accurate in a work environment as well.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
are the healthly population stats just a numbers trick or is the face in not reporting health rates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Ups_rail posted:

are the healthly population stats just a numbers trick or is the face in not reporting health rates?

He took a PRC report at face value.

• Locked thread