Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

One time my squad was going to rozhok and noticed literally no one was going to school. We rerouted and no one came, was pretty weird.

I noticed after the season reset I could drop school or military and it would be empty. I guess people want to protect their stats early season and not drop in hot zones?

Occasionally we'll get a flight path right over Pochinki and drop there and it's empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'm genuinely amused that there are all these goons wanting formulas and probably spreadsheets for how things like loot distribution works to the T, the Discord's badness rating and how exactly player ratings are calculated. Just play the game, maybe you'll get better and won't need to worry about any of it.

I would be more interested in an analysis of the MMR algorithm. It would be easy to do, just tedious as gently caress. Record the names of all the players in your match and look up the stats. Probably a way to automate it. Or even just analyzing twitch streams or something.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Elentor posted:

Different people find different things fun.

True, but caring about video game stats does in fact make you a weirdo

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

hawowanlawow posted:

I know a lot of weirdos then.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hawowanlawow posted:

I live in a country where people openly talk about their lol rankings in their work environment. My mom and her neighbor like to compare stats on Pokémon GO. Given how much of the competitive game population care about their stats or hell, even the wow players care about their item levels, I think the norm for anyone playing anything is to care about their video game stats. I'm pretty sure words like toxicity wouldn't be tossed around if that wasn't the case, achievements as a feature wouldn't have been a huge success, and so on. And in my experience the people who get most defensive about not caring at all are the ones who flip out the hardest when some poo poo happens.

I don't think it's always about the stats though, but I personally find games to be far more tense if there's a meta-game I'm caring about, and that is very thrilling. It's probably the same with people who play hardcore characters in Diablo/Path of Exile - I do it from time to time and it is indeed a lot more thrilling, but I don't have enough spare time nowadays to justify losing a character permanently when my pace is glacial enough as it is. In PUBG the matches last 30 minutes, so trying my best to win in that short amount of time is very exciting. And if I lose, it's not like I lost 100 hours worth of a character, so it's a great compromise.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 18, 2017

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Anyone know how to sell the set crates you get in the crates? They don't appear in the list of PUBG items that are able to be sold.

I would love to get this purple suit off my hands for the current listed price.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Hamelekim posted:

Anyone know how to sell the set crates you get in the crates? They don't appear in the list of PUBG items that are able to be sold.

I would love to get this purple suit off my hands for the current listed price.

Wait a week then put it up.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
I like how I play worse the better my equipment is. Find nothing but a pistol or an over-under? This is fine, time to run straight into the middle of the map. Find a Kar and a scope or two good ARs? HERE COMES THE CHOKE

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Just have to keep playing more and more. Play until you stop giving a poo poo and then the real magic flows. The reason you choke is because you are so worried about losing your shiny gear. That's why you get poo poo done with a double barrel and a pistol. When you stop fearing death is when you will play the best.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

TheFonz posted:

It means please read the thread. We've discussed it multiple times. Also, there are videos that prove it on youtube AND the quote you just posted also confirms that helmets protect the face.

edit: Legs and arms do not take off chest armor durability.

Also, legs and arms provide more damage resistance than even level 3 armor. Always shoot body/head

robostac
Sep 23, 2009
I found that but realised what was actually happening is I'm terrible at long range engagements and when I have scopes / snipers I'd take fights that I would usually lose, whereas with 'lesser' gear I'd avoid them and only fight at closer ranges.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

robostac posted:

I found that but realised what was actually happening is I'm terrible at long range engagements and when I have scopes / snipers I'd take fights that I would usually lose, whereas with 'lesser' gear I'd avoid them and only fight at closer ranges.

Are you just not good at adjusting for bullet drop or just not good at aiming that far away in general?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Confer posted:

I know a lot of weirdos then.

not surprising, you are a goon

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Confer posted:

Are you just not good at adjusting for bullet drop or just not good at aiming that far away in general?

My big problem is estimating travel time myself. I think I aim too far ahead of them, too used to slow bullets in other games.

Linstar
Apr 21, 2010

Hackan Slash posted:

Also, legs and arms provide more damage resistance than even level 3 armor. Always shoot body/head

Not true. Body shots on level 3 armor do less damage than limbs. Level 3 is 55% reduction whereas limbs are only 50%. Not that you should be aiming for limbs anyways.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Yea the bullet flight time is not as bad as you think. At most you might have to aim a meter ahead. The thing is that for the most part, you shouldn't be engaging from that far of a distance if you are playing to win. I rarely attack anyone even 300 meters away unless they are doing something dumb like sitting still. Generally once you play enough, you will get good at judging distances. A lot of my friends who I played ARMA with can accurately judge peoples distances just because they played the game so much.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Stealthgerbil posted:

Yea the bullet flight time is not as bad as you think. At most you might have to aim a meter ahead. The thing is that for the most part, you shouldn't be engaging from that far of a distance if you are playing to win. I rarely attack anyone even 300 meters away unless they are doing something dumb like sitting still. Generally once you play enough, you will get good at judging distances. A lot of my friends who I played ARMA with can accurately judge peoples distances just because they played the game so much.

I just don't get why the people who are complaining about the impossible time consuming process of judging distance aren't pulling up their map ahead of time to get a general idea of landmarks before fights. How are people this bad and confused? Pull your map up and count squares, I promise you won't get to double digits

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Low Desert Punk posted:

not surprising, you are a goon

Good point.

Shima Honnou posted:

My big problem is estimating travel time myself. I think I aim too far ahead of them, too used to slow bullets in other games.

Yeah like others below me have said, it's not as much as you would think. Unless I have a silencer I generally don't shoot at people that are >300 meters away from me. It's just not worth exposing your location to not only the people you're shooting at but everyone around you as well.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
one time

i found two kar 98s RIGHT ON TOP OF EACHOTHER HOLY loving poo poo so I used both, but never found any scopes and i died. also every game im in i beg for kar98, im like 'just please give me a kar98 because im so good with it' and then i die before i ever fire a shot

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Doorknob Slobber posted:

one time

i found two kar 98s RIGHT ON TOP OF EACHOTHER HOLY loving poo poo so I used both, but never found any scopes and i died. also every game im in i beg for kar98, im like 'just please give me a kar98 because im so good with it' and then i die before i ever fire a shot

That's why you think you're so good at it. You haven't been able to shoot at anyone and miss yet. I had to, please don't kill me

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Am I the only one that does a double take when they realize the shotgun snuggled up in some shirt is in fact a kar98?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I just don't get why the people who are complaining about the impossible time consuming process of judging distance aren't pulling up their map ahead of time to get a general idea of landmarks before fights. How are people this bad and confused? Pull your map up and count squares, I promise you won't get to double digits

I find that until the final circles people rarely stand still or at a house etc long enough to count their distance. Maybe if trees and rocks and poo poo were marked on the map like they are in Arma I could but midgame most people I and my team find are in drat fields with nothing immediately around them for that square-counting poo poo. Once it hits the 35 people left circles squads seem to love taking over a house but by that point you don't even need to zero in to land perfect shots anyway unless you've got a VSS.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Lladre posted:

Am I the only one that does a double take when they realize the shotgun snuggled up in some shirt is in fact a kar98?

Everytime.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Finally got a pan kill against someone with a gun

http://plays.tv/video/598dd037027006bb69/pan-shotgun?from=user

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
I've found out why i've been doing so poo poo in my past few rounds, I've been listening to podcasts whilst playing until I get to the last couple of circles to cut down on the tedium. It's really necessary to be able to hear footsteps in this game, I've realized.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Fart Car '97 posted:

Your were aimed exactly where you left your crosshair when you started to freelook, which is where the camera returns to when you stop free looking

This is pro 3pp strat, as you can freelook with your dub shotty pointed right at the door, and then snap back to drop a chump who walks in the wrong building

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Sound is how I spot 75% of my enemies

On the other hand I'm visually spotted and demolished from 200m away most games

Mistle posted:

This is pro 3pp strat, as you can freelook with your dub shotty pointed right at the door, and then snap back to drop a chump who walks in the wrong building

Heck, you can fire while freelooking; your cursor doesn't move. You can straight-up shoot someone behind your back Army of Darkness style.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Rookoo posted:

I've found out why i've been doing so poo poo in my past few rounds, I've been listening to podcasts whilst playing until I get to the last couple of circles to cut down on the tedium. It's really necessary to be able to hear footsteps in this game, I've realized.

Yes sound is so critical in this game. You instantly become a better player by putting on headphones as well.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
Landed apartments right next to school. Ran in and had another guy run in the back. I looted the first room and got two frags and nothing else, he got a shotgun. He started chasing me up the stars. I throw my first frag and it explodes behind him. I run up the last flight of stars and throw the frag before me, I duck into a room just as it explodes killing him.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I often play with the sound turned down so I don't annoy the GF and I do fine, a few chicken dinners under my belt. Eyeballs are good.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Popete posted:

I often play with the sound turned down so I don't annoy the GF and I do fine, a few chicken dinners under my belt. Eyeballs are good.

do not ever play this game with speakers, please

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Recently had a game where someone lands near me, we both run into a nearby house. No weapons. I decide to run to another house for weapons, she decides to run me down and punch me to death. I run into a building and tightly round corners to lose her and get an uzi; as soon as I turn back to face her it's a cartoonish about-face running chase, complete with running straight past some rando third party who misses three shotgun bursts and gets the heck uzi'd outta him (along with my chase-ee)

Later I hear someone coming, and hide by a stone wall. I prep to fire just as they clear the wall, and... I get to hear them botch the jump four times in a row.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Taffer posted:

do not ever play this game with speakers, please

Bushes do not hear, bushes do not see, bushes only wait.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Popete posted:

I play with the sounds turned up so loud in my headset that I sometimes have trouble telling if the footsteps I hear are in my building or the building next to me. Every loud noise startles me a great deal. I am a rat terrier.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Shima Honnou posted:

I find that until the final circles people rarely stand still or at a house etc long enough to count their distance. Maybe if trees and rocks and poo poo were marked on the map like they are in Arma I could but midgame most people I and my team find are in drat fields with nothing immediately around them for that square-counting poo poo. Once it hits the 35 people left circles squads seem to love taking over a house but by that point you don't even need to zero in to land perfect shots anyway unless you've got a VSS.

My problem with taking long range shots is that I rarely have the opportunity. I got good at it in Red Orchestra because I had a lot of practice. In PUBG, I almost never have the gun/scope/position/target. The one time I ever took a long range shot was when I saw someone 200 yards away running towards my prone position. I only had an SKS with irons, but the angles were very favorable and he had no cover to hide in once the shooting started.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

fpp is less punishing than 3pp.

After having tried it, I agree. Third person is incredibly punishing in open terrain because holy god drat it is almost impossible to sneak up on a stationary person in a good position who knows what the alt key does. I played three games, and

I accomplished very little. The guy I killed was picking people off with his Kar, single shot headers. I used all my skill and dumped a mag into his body as he ran for the final circle.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Fart Car '97 posted:

I'm curious if how much better I am at FPP has more to do with the lack of an MMR or with the gameplay just being a lot more intuitive.

I definitely see a lot of players in the initial drop doing dumb poo poo and getting killed for it but I also drop and play more aggressively than I did in 3pp so I don't have a frame of reference

If there really is no MMR for first person than it is definitely that

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Popete posted:

What is your name in game and are you on the discord?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Someone just donated 2k to drdisrespect. If it's legit he's going to play with him for an entire stream next week :eyepop:.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

abigserve posted:

If there really is no MMR for first person than it is definitely that

I'm pretty sure that there isn't. The people I play with and I generally goof off in first person and we still do pretty well. Always in the last ten. I'm think since its in beta they're not worrying out tracking even a hidden mmr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

when the fri*ck are fpp servers coming to oceania!!!

• Locked thread