Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
name and shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
You know full well it's a government agency who put that policy in place in the 90s.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

fins posted:

Any plans for some more bletchley boffinry any time soon? I want my drat gang tag!

There's an unsolved one if you can dig it up. :getin:

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Volmarias posted:

You know full well it's a government agency who put that policy in place in the 90s.

Oh man I have two good ones.

The web store for one fed agency limits passwords to exactly 8 characters. Only letters and numbers. No more, no less.

And the job application site for regional agency has a Forgot your password? Function. But it sends you your existing password in plain text after you also provide them with the ZIP code tied to your account for some reason.
iirc this one also stores your full social in plain text tied to the user profile page.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

a financial firm I use lightly has a policy that no password can use more than 5 letters from the previous password, and password changes can take a few minutes to take effect (there's a loading bar)

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

a financial firm I use lightly has a policy that no password can use more than 5 letters from the previous password, and password changes can take a few minutes to take effect (there's a loading bar)

active directory is a hellova drug

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Also, never forgetti mom's spaghetti

https://twitter.com/Migishu/status/834567858285854721/photo/1

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
From here : https://github.com/libyal/documentation/blob/master/PFF%20Forensics%20-%20analyzing%20the%20horrible%20reference%20file%20format.pdf

quote:

Microsoft Outlook allows users to set a password on their PST files. This password is stored in the 'Message Store' PFF item as a weak 32-bit Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC32).

The weak CRC32 is not suited to store a password hash, because it is to easy to generate a collision. This means that the password can be easily cracked.

But it gets worse; PFF does nothing with the password other than store its weak CRC32. So none of the data in a PFF is actually protected by the password. Good news for forensic analysis.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pretty sure that's been known for years, or at least we knew about it at my last job (as well as a similar thing with PDF's) because it let us generate thumbnails of stuff that was "password protected" without requiring the password (because we could just go in and flip the bit that said it was protected or remove the password entry entirely or whatever)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
does pci/dss have a reporting system because lol https://twitter.com/Place_des_Arts/status/834877518696091648

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

fins posted:

From here : https://github.com/libyal/documentation/blob/master/PFF%20Forensics%20-%20analyzing%20the%20horrible%20reference%20file%20format.pdf

quote:

But it gets worse; PFF does nothing with the password other than store its weak CRC32. So none of the data in a PFF is actually protected by the password. Good news for forensic analysis. 

:eyepoop:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

i'm the double down on whatever the cheapest consultant we could find told us

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the big thing i learned from that job was that all document/office-y formats (especially old ones) should be assumed to just be storing everything in plain text and any "password" is meaningless (and probably also stored in plain text or at best MD5'd)

we had tons of customers (including a lot of banks) and tons of them had password-protected documents and only one actually managed to use some form of real actual encryption on documents (which we made them strip off because we were a bad company lol)

e: actually now that i'm thinking of it they had us write a script that looped through every file and tried all of the passwords they gave us (a text file containing about 15 that were all some variation of companyname-year kinda things) to decrypt them

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

maskenfreiheit posted:

i'm the double down on whatever the cheapest consultant we could find told us

cheapest francophone consultant at that

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

ate all the Oreos posted:

the big thing i learned from that job was that all document/office-y formats (especially old ones) should be assumed to just be storing everything in plain text and any "password" is meaningless (and probably also stored in plain text or at best MD5'd)

we had tons of customers (including a lot of banks) and tons of them had password-protected documents and only one actually managed to use some form of real actual encryption on documents (which we made them strip off because we were a bad company lol)

what about .odt?

i actually have an old diary i forgot the pw to (pw protected odt)

i remember when i switched from openoffice to libreoffice it stopped working, or maybe upgraded oo?

iirc when i started it (pre-2011) i think they were using blowfish based on the pw you supply?

honestly if i could figure out a way to throw guesses at it i think i could create a wordlist that would crash it...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

maskenfreiheit posted:

what about .odt?

i remember when i switched from openoffice to libreoffice it stopped working, or maybe upgraded oo?

iirc when i started it (pre-2011) i think they were using blowfish based on the pw you supply?

honestly if i could figure out a way to throw guesses at it i think i could create a wordlist that would crash it...

i don't know because we had never ever encountered any company who used odt ever :v:

i think i uploaded one once just to see what our software would do and it couldn't figure out what the gently caress it was and just put the generic "unknown type" icon on it lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

maskenfreiheit posted:

what about .odt?

run strings on it and see what pops out

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

cve-2014-8485 called

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

https://github.com/akrennmair/newsbeuter/issues/591

quote:

An attacker can craft an RSS item with shell code in the title and/or URL. When you bookmark such an item, your shell will execute that code. The vulnerability is triggered when bookmark-cmd is called; if you abort bookmarking before that, you're safe.

Newsbeuter versions 0.7 through 2.9 are affected.

lol

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

done!:

code:
mimetypeapplication/vnd.oasis.opendocument.textPK
Configurations2/statusbar/PK
Configurations2/accelerator/current.xml
Configurations2/floater/PK
Configurations2/popupmenu/PK
Configurations2/progressbar/PK
Configurations2/menubar/PK
Configurations2/toolbar/PK
Configurations2/images/Bitmaps/PK
layout-cache<
hbP[
r&}/
*;d"v
}RJX_
vU9>
content.xml2S
z|7_
l@TaQP
<,,|]
o?y.
IVPj
9^Hi
qC)%
v"zH
-H2z-7
'S!9
[^;}B
1z~G
SZ{f
OB/K
,DGN 
1EHP~
$~]a1
CDjl`
r6vG
l+kwd
Gw>|8
t7R|T
O>=h
lu7?
29:&
"d$R
%7Zb
,\Z\
_9e:K
KKA5
hP^E
ji4|&E
s,Cf
^MC
nDt$
R//U3
_2'M
$8wN`
FEL_
Zl' 
jbM/;
84$[
rX~ne}
M|c 
!;%bt
^X>q
le2) 
cji4
P?Wx
Z-+d
a2[7
#wkB5
99W@
=i-5
mY#7
yjnj
dF=C
#[`)
}$5~
m>"
n+?#H
oddt
&_Vm
~*GN
-4I,
s!%D
h&fH
m4qO
=]Wv
?a>)z
G{2c8
W%3?vx
E]|o
I9`T
cuRh
:IpmO=
X uI
f2~,u
V8"}
4~(0
UmL0
;3y,
c0/%
,N)c
Fj4}
G"&sN?
QiXv
;!9#
E2{.V
|IH0
R9k;
{":B
3|^.
YE=Q>
(T^w
+n,d
4>_yZ
XZZj
.b1X
k?`yY
`z65
T] ;
{Ldh
fkE%
;~7x
Kn:'n
6IY2&2aG#`a
Wa*oXt
3^TH
vQiw
tn|#t)
_Tv^z
=X7|<
Kkq(M
vSTV
-e1,
Q4 _
?F%m
w^QGf@y
q+'F
;ZJq
tO/O
*?:B__
]Bol
tN:A!
x*v2
6:0#w
"e"'
R'[:~
77Sq
,!#v-
qNV/
]jT3j
Gr]g
48-o
B0d0
A&=Pud
}< J
|EVK
HBMr
cB[D]
b6O5GqL
Au_!
kj(Z*
]Xk9
U^cE
.+/G^
u2Wi
.)O`
3 Zd
6.9(P
,o/z
A{E*,
Sj,T
.wF
viU_`
V;ZR?o
2;R6_C
scN,BaZ=h
#7mi[
Q:F2
WY_)
jF$7
*NnR
U-\]
@mR4?
Q'q?
,0p=
jAMg
wuEboWh
6{&RR
C-hC
&Ha'f
dR%I
cwFH
>E}v2p
ujWC
IX*M
R.WO|
|@C=k
Q`&o
jFl%c\
br*5Q
?k&'l
-KV\
gX6Ru
ANYc
S)wy
mJ`w
d^6b
5A)a
i_`ku
k;ls
Ek3]2
hD[.
%"Ay;
69TU
Gur7y3
,lE~
xuL0z
G}x8|
8rej
`}I9fl
ce-Zw
2Q+]
S\SrG
e9/H
?6 ]I
|49_
"_oS~ 
>z+$D
ANrX
V>GD
y7dD
QFx4z
<bfG
O}W!oj!?
n1:&
*%cc#
Y]NQ
(;.X
%| BX
D,H%
\2}v
vwcnc
hg<9
tJ lT
hH[k
o=Z.wph
CFW\:6
tPt$
^Y5+#
u)^w
faH2F
b:ek
#)f<g[
:V!+
$^&O9
itZl 
6Ke{
n&)}
K>*7wwAR;
(o%F\
D! V
7dnY
^Q?~1%
}r`g
*c%<=\
b}07
;[^a{
qDU#
L$3W`e
kXAsjl
Q_h*z
\I&&C&
PtU!X
tC8O
84Ym U
zF19
y69We
`p#[8 
Y9.2oWc
8p-S
FjcCL}
W`>K"]
tGnAy
)'oy
="|6
#aux
YnKP
AjCFZ-i
[DsrI
"IbZ
yU_6
3u%H
`L*G
fC]f4b
RfN`*&m
VJ7j
b-_5
V]"Z
/&J*c
ei[l
(\@4
L[2'
7ht~
%,>Q
NY&X
NJjM
%5K&
`W_o
,=^T
manifest.rdf
1(@9
]7v-
4<B;
&I0;
s4p`$
+QC7w
? pPK
styles.xml
,=wF
*"B\
L)c+
e!O^
6c DZ
 HOB
h0gL
f3cAC
]@B:
'`E!l
c&ag
;)4fYqH
6sLx
%f*7
$;k
ryUg
(rt71
IWxF
urlef
xj"W
Aeys
~t4@;
$yM'
4g.X
H>Tcu
meta.xmlw
}<E!
K17|
settings.xml
Mz(z(
 _QT
U(:I
wjh4
!/:-
]l<"qd
<9#q
e?Q_
V|96g9
pT! 3
Wg.$jr
?bA)
E3cq/rQV;==[X
][&36#V
[+oW*
XpEH
%8Sek
<0**
SxG\
dNI;S(*
1S=+l
META-INF/manifest.xml
D%^H
8eey
R)C
V%/Q
ZLx`
Oq*&
Dt E
9!~a
Jm%B
AB".
cE_[
hvVm  Q
LgDS
{4*Of_
du^Hv;W
yso5&Se
93-`?S
ykr3
mimetypePK
Configurations2/statusbar/PK
Configurations2/accelerator/current.xmlPK
Configurations2/floater/PK
Configurations2/popupmenu/PK
Configurations2/progressbar/PK
Configurations2/menubar/PK
Configurations2/toolbar/PK
Configurations2/images/Bitmaps/PK
layout-cachePK
content.xmlPK
manifest.rdfPK
styles.xmlPK
meta.xmlPK
?1S=+l
settings.xmlPK
META-INF/manifest.xmlPK

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

cve-2014-8485 called

2014 called, they want your unpatched copy of strings back

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

is there some sort of compendium of dumb cve tricks? (not like OWASP top 10, but a step more detailed).

poo poo like this makes me lol real good.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i'd put grub's 28 backspaces to root bug pretty high in such a list

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Even in the thread I was like "Yeah nah your poo poo isn't PCI/DSS compliant mate" but then got massively ignored.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
is Ticketmaster's fault

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Migishu posted:

Even in the thread I was like "Yeah nah your poo poo isn't PCI/DSS compliant mate" but then got massively ignored.
i promise you that they do not care

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also they're "compliant" in that the auditor stamped the big ol' "compliant!" stamp on their stuff after running a few automated tests and shrugging and that's really all that actually matters

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

maskenfreiheit posted:

is there some sort of compendium of dumb cve tricks? (not like OWASP top 10, but a step more detailed).

poo poo like this makes me lol real good.

I don't really have a secret, other than my team has automation that scans various feeds for new CVE related patches and then notifies a human intelligence to decide if it's a "meh patch normally" or "gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress" situation.

If it's my week to look at the robo secfuck vomit I sometimes come across a funny ones. Usually though it's just mozillas weekly 40 CVE related urgent patches.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

the newsbeuter's came through debian's security mailing list earlier but given it required bookmarking meh

go find somewhere vaguely upstream and if they have a decent signal:noise security feed to trawl

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

nice https://sso.godaddy.com

expired 14th August 2017 and still not renewed

e: and they fixed it between me posting and re-checking, or its one of the servers in rotation

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

i promise you that they do not care

obviously

until someone gets a list of peoples usernames and password hash's, no one will care

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Migishu posted:

obviously

until someone gets a list of peoples usernames and password hash's, no one will care
even then they won't care. get someone from pci/dss involved and they might listen

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

speaking of secfucks, someone hacked a nazi merch webstore and handed over their customer db to Swedish antifa

theve sent out letters saying "if you can explain why you bought nazi memorabilia, please write back so we can remove your name from the list that will be published in one week"

https://twitter.com/NiclasWestlake/status/898195585802620928

closet nazis are freaking the hell out :3:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Powaqoatse posted:

speaking of secfucks, someone hacked a nazi merch webstore and handed over their customer db to Swedish antifa

theve sent out letters saying "if you can explain why you bought nazi memorabilia, please write back so we can remove your name from the list that will be published in one week"

ahhahahahaaaaa ehheh hee

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://twitter.com/afaskane/status/897165104483119105

antifa has data on 8600 orders over 7 years

the nazi site has been cleaned up a bit since, but archive.org shows the type of poo poo they sell/sold:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160223051112/http://midgaardshop.com:80/kategori/vrigt/klistermarken

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Powaqoatse posted:

💯

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/Geraintmogs/status/898302675057491968

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
jfc

this is better than the bitcoin wallet inspector

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ahahaha this guy got owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

infernal machines posted:

jfc

this is better than the bitcoin wallet inspector

You don't put your actual password in those, you use something of the same length and characteristics.

• Locked thread