Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Just saw a fit old lady and a young british dude doing crossfit... but like, they weren't rushing, weren't kipping, they had good form on all lifts and pull-ups and pushups. They were just ... toning with low weight.

Also shoutout to the two girls sitting in the corner for an hour and texting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Shoutout to the guy hogging a bench, squat rack, several dumbbells and taking up a massive area of the gym by himself while doing absolutely nothing sensible

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I'm still trying to figure out how to work on my front rack position. Look at all the distance between the bar and my shoulders...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BX3zXd7FwXG/

I'm trying to hit 315 on my clean and jerk by next year, and I know I won't be able to do it with that weird hold.

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice

Doc Hawkins posted:

If you aren't rich enough for crossfit and you don't have any friends who would want to help you stay accountable and be healthy and strong, then focus on fixing one or both of those.

Well I'm not actually like that but could you loving imagine lol

Help me I'm lazy lmao

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Hawkins posted:

If you aren't rich enough for crossfit and you don't have any friends who would want to help you stay accountable and be healthy and strong, then focus on fixing one or both of those.

But getting swole AF is how I was going to get those other two

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

mobby_6kl posted:

But getting swole AF is how I was going to get those other two

Some (weird) people enjoy and benefit from exercising in groups. If you can stay consistent without external accountability, then by all means buy bigger headphones and continue your monk-like quest towards hugeitude.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

LanceHunter posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how to work on my front rack position. Look at all the distance between the bar and my shoulders...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BX3zXd7FwXG/

I'm trying to hit 315 on my clean and jerk by next year, and I know I won't be able to do it with that weird hold.

I don't do that lift because I don't want to injure myself honestly

Looks like you're gonna wreck your wrists though

Im the same with this lift, I just can't figure out the proper way to let it drop on my shoulders not my wrists, so i gave up on Olympic lifts

Khorne
May 1, 2002

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, same, I can't front rack. Even with straps I have difficulty hitting the position lmao.

If you figure out anything that works feel free to share.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Khorne posted:

Yeah, same, I can't front rack. Even with straps I have difficulty hitting the position lmao.

If you figure out anything that works feel free to share.

Must be short arms or something

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Dreadite posted:

waaahhh i need an accountability group to stay in shape, i have no self control or dignity so i need constant external pressure to take care of myself lmao

do a strength program with spreadsheets... if ur a real nerd this will be motivation enough

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dreadite posted:

waaahhh i need an accountability group to stay in shape, i have no self control or dignity so i need constant external pressure to take care of myself lmao
so die already, u gross piece of poo poo

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
just squatted 225 for the first time, for 5x5.

not much compared to some of you, but loading up two 45lb plates for the first time felt real good. nailing the workout felt even better!

eating enough protein really does help ur gains.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

JFairfax posted:

not much compared to some of you, but loading up two 45lb plates for the first time felt real good. nailing the workout felt even better!

That's awesome. Great job. Getting to add another full plate is always a great milestone

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

The journey of a thousand plates begins with a single bar

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

UnfurledSails posted:

What about air squats

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

UnfurledSails posted:

gently caress that.

You're weak, nobody here is big enough to truly be big

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

nooneofconsequence posted:

What about air squats

Calisthenics are a different path...

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

LanceHunter posted:

Calisthenics are a different path...

is it a good path

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

nooneofconsequence posted:

What about air squats

are those the ones where you jump at the top or the ones where you balance on a bosu? either way, seems like an increased injury risk imo

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

The serious general diet/fitness thread is currently united against a troll/dumbass who's trying to obliterate his fat cells via overdosing on vitamin A

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

UnfurledSails posted:

The serious general diet/fitness thread is currently united against a troll/dumbass who's trying to obliterate his fat cells via overdosing on vitamin A

Let people die if they want to

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

post funny excerpts. I'm usually so fatigued from lifting and eating that i can't be bothered to read that thread anymore

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

TenementFunster posted:

what are we doing instead of upright rows?!

high DB pull

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS3sUeipV0Q&t=745s

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

the commerical before the youtube video was shrimp being busted open and i was like

yup

that's me

that's my muscle fiber

getting hosed

also i like that guy but he seriously looks like a boss of mine and it's weird when my boss irl is like "GOIN TO THE GYM TONIGHT HOW ABOUT THE Y?" and i get flashbacks to youtube videos

thanks for listening

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

JFairfax posted:

Good work bro. You'll be at 315 before you know it.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
When I started 531 in january, I had huge problems with squat. I managed 3x110 kg at best and it was hard, my knees and back hurt, and it generally felt like poo poo. Other lifts were progressing well, squat continued to be terrible. In march it all culminated in me tweaking my right knee with some puny weight and I was ready to totally give up on squat. I started thinking about alternative methods like doing some bastard version of a belt squat, but it became obvious, that the only option was to HTFU and work on it. So I got some actual power lifting shoes instead of chucks, knee sleeves (on top of the tweak, my knees have taken a bit of a beating, so they definitely help me), and really worked on my form. After a period of trial and error, strength going up and down, everything finally clicked and I actually started progressing. Last week I lifted 3x140kg with decent form and no pain or discomfort.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I've been struggling with my squat for nearly a year and I'm finally seeing some success by using a wider than standard stance and my toes angled out about 45-50 degrees. I was taught/encouraged to try and maintain a shoulder width stance with toes pointed forward as much as possible and I ended up getting a lot of hip pain and difficulty with balance.

Juggernaut Training Systems on YouTube finally has things improving for me. If I were to do it again, I'd hire a professional coach that's very familiar with the barbell lifts.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
who on earth told you to squat with toes pointed forwards?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

JFairfax posted:

Does it matter?

Even then, the advice from sources like SS tell you to slightly angle your feet. They still make it seem like more extreme angles are bad, or they don't suggest them in the first place. I didn't realize why my hips weren't "greasing the groove" until I watched videos from other sources about variances in squat stance for personal preference and physiology. Turns out there are a lot of sources teaching people how to find their personal squat stance, but it just wasn't shared in the circles I was participating in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fob2wWEC72s

(turns out I much prefer squatting like Courtney in this video)

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 20, 2017

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I mean, if you're flexible enough and not lifting heavy (i.e. someone not in this thread) I've been told by trainers that it's fine, just rotate out when you start lifting heavier weights.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Diet question: I'm going to use tuna as my lean meat for a few meals. Do I include the weight of the can/pouch, or is that already figured?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
are you going to eat the can? I always do

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I read that aluminum will decrease fat cell count.

On that note, is there a scan to determine the exact number of fat cells in my body? I want to calculate and update my BMR correctly.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
just eat salami instead

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
does it come in aluminum cans?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Just give yourself a few pinches, truly swole people can tell the number by feel.

Then eat that many grams of aluminum.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
have you guys tried bulldog grip for bench? Where you rotate your hands inward to each other a little so the bar goes more corner to corner in your palm? Supposedly it takes a lot of the strain off your shoulder. I tried it with a pushup and it feels like that is the case.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Dum Cumpster posted:

I read that aluminum will decrease fat cell count.

On that note, is there a scan to determine the exact number of fat cells in my body? I want to calculate and update my BMR correctly.

A DXA (dual energy x-ray absorptiometry) scan is your best bet for a super-accurate body fat test.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

JFairfax posted:

Correct me if im wrong, but i think it depends on your stance. Wider the stance, the more you should point your toes out. If you're really narrow, you should point them forward.

What finally worked for me, was mid high bar and quite narrow stance. It feels nice and solid, while low bar wide stance feels wobbly and weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the idea was that your feet were aligned with your femurs and that when squatting your knees are wider than your hips to allow you to squat deep enough as squatting with closed knees is v. difficult.

therefore naturally your toes will be pointed out to some degree

i'm also more than happy to be corrected if im wrong because I am certainly not trained in this stuff.