Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Jaxyon posted:

OC Weekly makes it a point to talk about how embarrassingly racist Orange County is as much as possible.

Santee, a suburb of San Diego, is also called Klantee

That's where I first learned about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-oc-informant-scandal-20170818-story.html

Superior Court Judge Thomas Goethals pulls death penalty from the case due to excessive buffoonery. In addition to DA OC being racist, they're also incompetent.

Cops and DA shuffle their feet and mumble "But mass murder tho".

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"It doesn't matter that we cheated because he clearly deserves to die anyway!"

loving cops, I swear.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Sydin posted:

"It doesn't matter that we cheated because he clearly deserves to die anyway!"

loving cops, I swear.
I mean, in a certain sense, they're right.

This isn't some game where both sides have equal standing and a legitimate interest in a favorable outcome for them. On one side, you have the people of the State, and on the other, a guy who more or less indisputably killed eight people in cold blood over a child custody dispute. The fact that some of the evidence against him was obtained in an improper manner doesn't really change the fact that he loving did it.

The fact that exclusion of evidence and overturning sentences/convictions is the only workable remedy we have for improperly obtained evidence should be seen as unfortunate.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

or you know maybe the cops and the da should know how to do their jobs idunno

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

This isn't some game where both sides have equal standing and a legitimate interest in a favorable outcome for them. On one side, you have the people of the State, and on the other, a guy who more or less indisputably killed eight people in cold blood over a child custody dispute. The fact that some of the evidence against him was obtained in an improper manner doesn't really change the fact that he loving did it.

The fact that exclusion of evidence and overturning sentences/convictions is the only workable remedy we have for improperly obtained evidence should be seen as unfortunate.

It's good if you believe that the state shouldn't be murdering people anyway.

VVV Also yes

The Wiggly Wizard fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 19, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hey due process is cool and good regardless of how obviously guilty the party is

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Hey due process is cool and good regardless of how obviously guilty the party is

The system...works????? :thunk:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Grand Prize Winner posted:

or you know maybe the cops and the da should know how to do their jobs idunno
The proper remedy for the DA and Sheriffs failing to do their jobs correctly is professional sanctions, it is wholly irrelevant to the guy who methodically killed eight people deserving the harshest possible penalty under the law.

But, since holding civil servants to account is unlikely in cases where their misbehavior enjoys broad approval (or indifference) from the public and their superiors, the exclusionary rule is what we are left with.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

It's good if you believe that the state shouldn't be murdering people anyway.
If your position is that anything that prevents the state from sentencing people to death is good, that is an entirely different discussion.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dead Reckoning posted:

I agree: in addition to the death penalty being excluded, the DA & Sheriff should be criminally convicted for falsifying evidence.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Sydin posted:

I agree: in addition to the death penalty being excluded, the DA & Sheriff should be criminally convicted for falsifying evidence.
Again, the misconduct by the DA and Sheriff's Office is completely irrelevant as to whether Dekraai should be sentenced to death. Dekraai absolutely ought to be put to death.

There is no accusation that they falsified evidence though; the accusation is that they housed collaborating snitches with the defendant in order to elicit information.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Do you have a larger point or are you going to keep arguing "no it isn't no it isn't" like some insane version of that one Monty Python sketch?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Again, the misconduct by the DA and Sheriff's Office is completely irrelevant as to whether Dekraai should be sentenced to death. Dekraai absolutely ought to be put to death

Says you. I think police and DA conduct is relevant to the punishment of someone convicted on the basis of their misconduct.

If deterrence works then failing on such a high profile case will be a better deterrent to future bad action by police and prosecutors rather than letting them abuse the law and still get their way.

Maybe law enforcement will think twice about withholding information next time because of this.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Says you. I think police and DA conduct is relevant to the punishment of someone convicted on the basis of their misconduct.

Why? In the abstract, if completely and uncontestedly true evidence of someone's horrific crime is presented, why should the manner in which that evidence was obtained matter? If their guilt, in the sense of having done the thing they are accused of, is incontrovertible, should they not be appropriately punished?

Trabisnikof posted:

If deterrence works then failing on such a high profile case will be a better deterrent to future bad action by police and prosecutors rather than letting them abuse the law and still get their way.

Maybe law enforcement will think twice about withholding information next time because of this.
Where do people get this bizarre notion that the most appropriate way to punish cops and DAs is to let criminals go free? Do you think that, if enough cases are thrown out, it will eventually, in some roundabout way, hurt them personally?

Is your fetishist for seeing the police fail that extreme that you are OK with letting murderers off in order to preserve fair play? If it turns out that a firefighter was drunk on duty when he responded to a call, should we go back and burn down the building so that he thinks twice before doing it again?

This isn't a game of capture the flag, where your parents make you let little Scotty Dekraai out of jail in order to teach you a lesson because you were out of bounds when you tagged him and lied about it. Both sides do not have morally equal interests.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Dead Reckoning I know you're a professional contrarian in this thread but come the gently caress on. We don't want to punish the cops and the DAs by letting criminals go free. We want to punish them when they gently caress up their jobs and let criminals go free.

If a multiple murderer gets off on appeal because the DA or the police did something wrong to obtain the conviction in the first place then that DA and those police should absolutely be nailed to the wall.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Why? In the abstract, if completely and uncontestedly true evidence of someone's horrific crime is presented, why should the manner in which that evidence was obtained matter? If their guilt, in the sense of having done the thing they are accused of, is incontrovertible, should they not be appropriately punished?

Where do people get this bizarre notion that the most appropriate way to punish cops and DAs is to let criminals go free? Do you think that, if enough cases are thrown out, it will eventually, in some roundabout way, hurt them personally?

Is your fetishist for seeing the police fail that extreme that you are OK with letting murderers off in order to preserve fair play? If it turns out that a firefighter was drunk on duty when he responded to a call, should we go back and burn down the building so that he thinks twice before doing it again?

This isn't a game of capture the flag, where your parents make you let little Scotty Dekraai out of jail in order to teach you a lesson because you were out of bounds when you tagged him and lied about it. Both sides do not have morally equal interests.

You know that it's possible there's a third option: the death penalty is loving garbage and we shouldn't kill anyone, and if the cops and DA hosed up the guy gets a retrial if he wants.

I mean, you're absolutely certain this guy did it, but I'm equally absolutely certain you weren't there in the court room as a juror listening to all of the evidence and deliberating on it, and, you know, a funny thing happens when it's you who has to actually say someone should die. Even if you believe for certain someone did it, you don't want to be one of the people who has to pull the trigger to kill someone.

Statistically, it's next to impossible for you to have actually been in a jury that voted for the death penalty, so I'm pretty confident in saying you're an internet tough guy full of poo poo about this.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Dead Reckoning I know you're a professional contrarian in this thread but come the gently caress on. We don't want to punish the cops and the DAs by letting criminals go free. We want to punish them when they gently caress up their jobs and let criminals go free.

If a multiple murderer gets off on appeal because the DA or the police did something wrong to obtain the conviction in the first place then that DA and those police should absolutely be nailed to the wall.
That's not what people have been arguing though. Posters ITT were talking primarily about measures to punish the police. (Or to de facto abolish the death penalty, but that's a different conversation.) The post of Trabisnikof directly stated that the benefit of taking the death penalty off the table was to deter future misconduct by the police. Sydin was most interested in punishing the cops and the DA, even though he was obviously unfamiliar with the facts of the case. The first post I responded to was him being affronted that the DA released a statement that the guy who killed eight people was a dirt bag who ought to be given the harshest possible sentence irrespective of any misconduct on the DA's part.

The fact that we allow criminals to go free when evidence is improperly gathered is only because we have embraced an adversarial legal system as a check on government power, not because it is morally correct. It is not universal among western democratic legal systems.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Dead Reckoning posted:

That's not what people have been arguing though. Posters ITT were talking primarily about measures to punish the police. (Or to de facto abolish the death penalty, but that's a different conversation.) The post of Trabisnikof directly stated that the benefit of taking the death penalty off the table was to deter future misconduct by the police. Sydin was most interested in punishing the cops and the DA, even though he was obviously unfamiliar with the facts of the case. The first post I responded to was him being affronted that the DA released a statement that the guy who killed eight people was a dirt bag who ought to be given the harshest possible sentence irrespective of any misconduct on the DA's part.

The fact that we allow criminals to go free when evidence is improperly gathered is only because we have embraced an adversarial legal system as a check on government power, not because it is morally correct. It is not universal among western democratic legal systems.

oh now you're 100% right, we should never punish cops and DAs for breaking the rules put in place to keep them from ruining innocent people. how could I not see the bastion of your enlightenment before.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dead Reckoning posted:

I can't think of an argument that's more of a non sequitur than this one, excepting perhaps the old line from the SNL Harry Caray sketches about eating the moon if it was made of ribs.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TIL that life in prison is the exact same as getting to go free.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dead Reckoning posted:

Is your fetishist for seeing the police fail that extreme that you are OK with letting murderers off in order to preserve fair play?

Actually my fetish is for not imprisoning or executing innocent people, or violating criminal rights

Figures you'd be the one arguing "we should just let the cops do whatever they want as long as bad people die"

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Pretty sure it's about the integrity of the evidence, not punishing the DA and Dead Reckoning is full of poo poo.

So the big part is the OC DA was using the prison informants to get "confessions" that established motives and intent. They then would use those conversations as evidence that that the suspects were the "worst of the worst." This "evidence" was then presented in sentencing to prove that suspects were irredeemable and deserved to die.

Since this evidence was used in support of the death penalty case when it was, in fact, inadmissible, that naturally affects the legality of seeking the death penalty. Those fraudulent, blood thirsty Orange County fucks are lucky they didn't get the whole case thrown out.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

We must agree, pro-death penalty or against, this was the columbian pure strain conviction that didn't need any more evidence.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Well, conviction and sentencing are different things. This guy was 100% going to jail, but cops and prosecutors often act like their job is to obtain the harshest sentence possible. Being guilty of a heinous crime doesn't guarantee the death penalty. Judges look at other factors -- mental health, past history, evidence of premeditation, evidence of remorse, etc.

What OC has been doing is sending prison snitches in cells with these suspects and trying to get them talking so that those informers can then come back and say "Yeah, he seems sane and says he did it in cold blood and doesn't feel bad about it and will kill again if given the chance." Something that pretty much explodes whatever argument for leniency defense might be cooking up.

Not only were a lot of those statements probably bullshit, but the whole spying operation was super illegal and now a bunch of convictions/sentences will have to be reviewed. It's a poo poo show.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I mean, you're absolutely certain this guy did it, but I'm equally absolutely certain you weren't there in the court room as a juror listening to all of the evidence and deliberating on it, and, you know, a funny thing happens when it's you who has to actually say someone should die. Even if you believe for certain someone did it, you don't want to be one of the people who has to pull the trigger to kill someone.

Statistically, it's next to impossible for you to have actually been in a jury that voted for the death penalty, so I'm pretty confident in saying you're an internet tough guy full of poo poo about this.
If I didn't think the state through its agents was allowed to kill people in pursuit of legitimate purposes, I wouldn't have joined the military.

Dekraai shot a bunch of people in front of witnesses, had motive for the killings, was arrested nearby while wearing body armor, was connected to the guns used in the killings, and confessed to the killings. To my knowledge, neither he nor his attorneys have ever disputed that he carried out the killings, merely his culpability, and the order in which he carried them out. It's certainly possible that he is the victim of the mother of all frame jobs, but this case is about as close to undisputed facts as you can get.

Duckbag posted:

Pretty sure it's about the integrity of the evidence, not punishing the DA and Dead Reckoning is full of poo poo.
There are like two or three people on this page arguing that. punishing police and prosecutors is the essential element at stake in excluding evidence, so accusing me of making things up isn't gonna work here.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

oh now you're 100% right, we should never punish cops and DAs for breaking the rules put in place to keep them from ruining innocent people. how could I not see the bastion of your enlightenment before.
You still haven't explained how letting guilty people go free is an adequate punishment for police misconduct.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Figures you'd be the one arguing "we should just let the cops do whatever they want as long as bad people die"
My argument is that letting criminals go free is a wholly inappropriate penalty for prosecutorial/police misconduct, but we're apparently stuck with it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

You still haven't explained how letting guilty people go free is an adequate punishment for police misconduct.

My argument is that letting criminals go free is a wholly inappropriate penalty for prosecutorial/police misconduct, but we're apparently stuck with it.

You keep making an argument that has nothing to do with the topic. Just because execution is off the table doesn't mean he gets to "go free."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The facts of this specific case don't really change my argument. Why is not allowing a multiple murderer to be sentenced to death an adequate punishment for the prosecutor's misconduct?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
about a half step away from reenacting death wish 3 there

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

There are like two or three people on this page arguing that. punishing police and prosecutors is the essential element at stake in excluding evidence, so accusing me of making things up isn't gonna work here.

Dude, no. The evidence was excluded because it was inadmissable. The cops/DA aren't getting "punished." They just hosed up a case because they were bad at their jobs. If anyone is being punished, it's the OC taxpayers who've been paying the salaries of incompetent criminals. The courts can only consider evidence obtained in a lawful manner. If you have a problem with that, take it up with the folks who wrote the Bill of Rights.

Also, no one is going free here. Life in prison is just a slower death sentence. What are you even freaking out about?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
It is heartening to read that the victims' families are mad at the prosecution and not the judge :shobon:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Duckbag posted:

Also, no one is going free here. Life in prison is just a slower death sentence. What are you even freaking out about?

This impacts a poo poo ton more cases ranging from weapons to murder. This informant program could have gone on for years as it affected no-name criminals who don't get their own wikipedia article.

mfw you try to use the "few bad apples" excuse at a judge who was previously a seasoned prosecutor.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dead Reckoning posted:

The facts of this specific case don't really change my argument. Why is not allowing a multiple murderer to be sentenced to death an adequate punishment for the prosecutor's misconduct?

Just because people are saying the prosecutors deserved it doesn't mean it was actually a punishment, you incredible buffoon. That's not the point of throwing out the death penalty at all, and he's sure as gently caress not walking free. It's incredibly disingenuous to act like the judge pardoned him because the DA made a whoopsie.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Just to be clear, we're basically arguing over the backstory to the first Nightmare on Elm Street right?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

i agree, the power balance swings way too far in favor of the state and cops and prosecutors

good point

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Actually when guilt is certain and the crime is heinous, like lets say a nazi terrorist murdering / maiming people with a car, or murdering 9 black church-goers, the death penalty is perfectly appropriate and justified. In jail he could radicalize other people to commit terror or cause harm to other inmates. The fact is there are people so dangerous that the only option for jailing them would be lifetime solitary confinement which is basically the death penalty by another name.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Maybe jail and society shouldnt be so lovely that people can get radicalized enough to want to smash the system

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

tsa posted:

Actually when guilt is certain and the crime is heinous, like lets say a nazi terrorist murdering / maiming people with a car, or murdering 9 black church-goers, the death penalty is perfectly appropriate and justified. In jail he could radicalize other people to commit terror or cause harm to other inmates. The fact is there are people so dangerous that the only option for jailing them would be lifetime solitary confinement which is basically the death penalty by another name.

Nice hot take

Guess what, lifetime solitary confinement isn't the death penalty by another name, because with the death penalty, you are dead, and with lifetime solitary confinement, you are not. This makes a surprisingly big difference when you are exonerated.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

tsa posted:

Giving a botched lethal injection to and thereby martyring a nazi terrorist also seems likely to radicalize someone, as opposed to reforming them and allowing them to repent and live out the rest of their days in shame.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

you, complacent sheeple: killing people has many disadvantages

me, rational man of justice: the joker is real and he must be executed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I'm shocked that posters in this thread are against the death penalty given that many posters periodically fantasize in this thread about the execution of Republicans and violent secession of California from the Union whenever their favorite politicians are not in power in the Federal government.