Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Since we're kinda on computer chat, what's the best mouse to get these days? I need one that is virtually silent because I don't know why, but the clicking is driving me insane.

I'm a big fan of the Logitech G602, its pricey but quiet and responsive. Great for CAD because I can tie key combos to the multifunction buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i have the G502 because it actually fits my large hand and has a nice slot + button for my thumb to go

i think it's quiet, i use a mechanical keyboard with blue switches at work + a G810 with Romer-G switches so I dont exactly know what quiet peripherals are :shobon:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i have the G502 because it actually fits my large hand and has a nice slot + button for my thumb to go

i think it's quiet, i use a mechanical keyboard with blue switches at work + a G810 with Romer-G switches so I dont exactly know what quiet peripherals are :shobon:

The thumb slot is a great feature. I love it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Logitech MX510 for lyfe. I have 3 of them in all my workspaces, and a new one in a box in case I can't ever fix these ones (I've fixed the cables on two now with $7 worth of amazon and 5 minutes of labor)

For some reason the pro gamer look of their new mouses isn't my favorite but I'm starting to get curious. Will I get more chicken dinners???

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

Logitech MX510 for lyfe. I have 3 of them in all my workspaces, and a new one in a box in case I can't ever fix these ones (I've fixed the cables on two now with $7 worth of amazon and 5 minutes of labor)

For some reason the pro gamer look of their new mouses isn't my favorite but I'm starting to get curious. Will I get more chicken dinners???

The answer lies in git'n gud

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

If I was building a PC for workstation duties (cad, photo processing etc) it would be REALLY hard to go past a lightly used generation or two old Xeon setup. Our server is running a pair of those cheap 8 core Xeons that popped up on ebay when a data centre got a revamp a few years back with 64GB of ram in it (and 30TB in snap raid and ZFS)

Ive still got the old i7 2600K sandybridge as my games PC with a 770 GTX in it and its not a bad machine. Graphics cards a bit behind now but it still has no worries driving games at decent FPS on the 27" dell.

Totally won the silicone lottery with that chip tho, happily clocks at 4.2ghz all day every day.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My 2500k ran fine at 4.4 up until I updated from BIOS to UEFI (on the same board)... with no way to downgrade back to BIOS (and of course Gigabyte never released another UEFI update, but put out plenty of BIOS updates). :argh:

Couldn't get more than 4 GHz out of it after that.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I had a Sandy Bridge i5 2500K that ran at 4.5GHz since day one. It could do 4.7GHz, but got a little flaky at that speed, and you'd have to reset the BIOS. Gave it to a friend a couple of months ago when I finally built myself a new computer. The i5 was in a massive case and I wanted to move to Micro ATX.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My i5 2500k has been steady at 4.8ghz for over 6 years now, and i haven't seen much reason to upgrade. Definitely hit the chip/board lottery there.

possibly more amazing, my C2Q 9000 laptop from 2009 is still going strong. Nvidia doesn't make any new drivers for the 260m gtx, but it still plays pretty much everything at some level.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

The answer lies in git'n gud

That's kind of my feeling. But I have 4 wins in my 196 rounds played lifetime, but my buddy who has a pro gaming mouse and a quicker response time on his monitor has 11 wins in his 365 rounds played, so maybe that extra .001% win ratio is worth it!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I can't take my i2500k past 3.8 without glitching out but I'm literally only changing the clock speed and nothing else sooo. Good enough for me.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I'm using an old Logitech MX310.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I have a i5 750 @ 2.67GHZ that's got to be about 7 or 8 years old now. I have never tried overclocking anything.

Added 16 gigs of DDR3, and a GTX 1060 over the years, and a SSD for the boot drive, and I can run pretty much every game on highest settings at or around a pretty steady 60fps. It's pretty insane how long processors last these days.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Since we're kinda on computer chat, what's the best mouse to get these days? I need one that is virtually silent because I don't know why, but the clicking is driving me insane.

As someone who went through exactly that (roommate clicking away at lovely facebook games with a loud mouse drove me up the loving wall), Microsoft mice are generally the quietest unless you're dropping 3 figures on a mouse. Some of their newer models have questionable ergonomics, but just try a bunch at the store. IIRC the Sculpt Comfort mouse was the best, but she got the mobile 3500 cause she likes tiny mice for some reason.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 19, 2017

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Ether Frenzy posted:

I have a i5 750 @ 2.67GHZ that's got to be about 7 or 8 years old now. I have never tried overclocking anything.

Added 16 gigs of DDR3, and a GTX 1060 over the years, and a SSD for the boot drive, and I can run pretty much every game on highest settings at or around a pretty steady 60fps. It's pretty insane how long processors last these days.

That's exactly what I have, an old i5-750, but like a cheapass I'm still rocking my original 5870 (!) and no SSD. I should really get around to upgrading this poo poo, since it sounds like an SSD and a new video card will really wake things up.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I think I have my i7 7700k at 5ghz rn but I forget

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I think I have my i7 7700k at 5ghz rn but I forget

I just bought a new iMac with that processor. Hoping I get a decade out of this one especially since desktop speed improvements seem to have crawled to a stop.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

I supect that the specifics matter quite a lot.

I had more to say but hit reply on my phone.

The circumstances are almost identical actually. I had a cop come to the store and took the statement. He took it seriously but unless I file a PO there's nothing they can do. And until I can find out her legal name there's no way to file the order.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ether Frenzy posted:

Same chip I'm running now, and a GTX 650 SSC Ti (from the old pc) and my Samsung EVO SSD (also from the old PC). It's a noticeable downgrade from the 2500k, but this motherboard has some pretty crazy overclocking options that I have yet to explore. I'll probably give overclocking a shot once I move my old heatsink/fan over (stock Intel heatsink right now, it gets pretty toasty even at stock speeds).

MrChips posted:

That's exactly what I have, an old i5-750, but like a cheapass I'm still rocking my original 5870 (!) and no SSD. I should really get around to upgrading this poo poo, since it sounds like an SSD and a new video card will really wake things up.

A SSD is a night and day difference. Drop some coin on a Samsung EVO 850 (I have the older 840) and be prepared to get blown away.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

rdb posted:

I just bought a new iMac with that processor. Hoping I get a decade out of this one especially since desktop speed improvements seem to have crawled to a stop.

This isn't really true. Clockspeed hasn't changed much, buy the work done per cycle certainly has and on some apps the difference is massive.

Now mind, getting 5 viable years out of an enthusiast class CPU is a perfectly reasonable expectation these days. If the design is older than that you're pissing a lot of power away. I'm likely going to keep my i7 4790k for another few years.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I got 8 years out of my old 17" MacBook pro core 2 duo, I would still have it if the mainboard didn't fry, so I think 10 should be possible.

The reviews I read of kaby lake vs skylake were fairly negative towards kaby lake as not having any real performance improvement outside of pcie lanes. Besides that, its an imac, I don't think games exist for it, so it will mostly do photo editing, browsing, watching videos, basic poo poo. And look pretty. That 5k screen is fantastic.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
If we are talking real world then really an old Dell with an i7-920 or the 2600 is still a beast. But the i7-7700 can be had for $275 so unless you already have compatible mobo who knows. I can get motherboards for the 2600 for $75

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
My desktop is a devil's canyon core that I never overclocked because it doesn't really need it. Actually supcom could use the speed, but shrug. I use the surface book 99% of the time anyway.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

everdave posted:

If we are talking real world then really an old Dell with an i7-920 or the 2600 is still a beast.

My old tower (mentioned above) has a 920. CPU usage was fine for my purposes, I just got sick of it being a space heater, and also the size of a minivan.

I have noticed that Solidworks renders run a shitload faster, though.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Enourmo posted:

My old tower (mentioned above) has a 920. CPU usage was fine for my purposes, I just got sick of it being a space heater, and also the size of a minivan.

I have noticed that Solidworks renders run a shitload faster, though.

Big is beautiful

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Your sticker is crooked

and :rice:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Ugh I can't stand huge cases. I know they're better for airflow and cable management and easier to work in etc. etc. but goddamn I don't want that sitting in my living room.

My favorite PC I've ever owned was a P4 Shuttle in 2003 and for my next build I'm going for that form factor or slightly larger. It seems like GPUs and PSUs are going to decide the size more than anything else.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You nerds are making me not want a computer again.

At work they had these I think micro atx cases that mounted to the back of the monitor, all the neat looks of the all-in-ones but you get to choose screen and pc spec, I thought those were quite neat.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

cakesmith handyman posted:

At work they had these I think micro atx cases that mounted to the back of the monitor, all the neat looks of the all-in-ones but you get to choose screen and pc spec, I thought those were quite neat.

The smallest common-ish form factor is mini itx, but the main issue with those is fitting enough power supply for your video card, if you're into that sort of thing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I don't understand why power supply manufacturers are lagging so hard in the downsizing trend. There are 330 watt laptop power bricks less than 1/4 the size of an atx psu and even twin 1080 gaming laptops that use 2, why isn't there something double that size in a metal case you can stick inside the computer.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The ones that hang off the back of the monitor are some variant of SFF, generally some variant of Dell, HP, or Lenovo. They really do cram a ton of hardware into those things though; even a low end one is more than enough for your average user these days. They're generally targeted at the enterprise market, though, with price tags to match.

Micro ATX boards are ~244mm x 244mm, and the bulk of consumer (and even gamer) motherboards on the market today are micro ATX. I don't think I've seen a full size consumer/SOHO ATX board in... 10-15 years? Not counting OEM stuff.

Powershift posted:

I don't understand why power supply manufacturers are lagging so hard in the downsizing trend. There are 330 watt laptop power bricks less than 1/4 the size of an atx psu and even twin 1080 gaming laptops that use 2, why isn't there something double that size in a metal case you can stick inside the computer.

Just guessing here, but I'm assuming it's more because a typical PSU is expected to output 3.3, 5, and 12 volt supplies, some switched, some constant. A laptop has all of the power circuitry on the motherboard or a daughterboard, while a desktop PC has all of that poo poo crammed into the PSU. I might be talking out of my rear end though.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The ones that hang off the back of the monitor are some variant of SFF, generally some variant of Dell, HP, or Lenovo. They really do cram a ton of hardware into those things though; even a low end one is more than enough for your average user these days. They're generally targeted at the enterprise market, though, with price tags to match.

Micro ATX boards are ~244mm x 244mm, and the bulk of consumer (and even gamer) motherboards on the market today are micro ATX. I don't think I've seen a full size consumer/SOHO ATX board in... 10-15 years? Not counting OEM stuff.

Just guessing here, but I'm assuming it's more because a typical PSU is expected to output 3.3, 5, and 12 volt supplies, some switched, some constant. A laptop has all of the power circuitry on the motherboard or a daughterboard, while a desktop PC has all of that poo poo crammed into the PSU. I might be talking out of my rear end though.

You are correct.

I went mATX and I'm happy I did. There are ATX cases the same size as the Corsair Obsidian 350d but they're fraught with ugly compromise.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

I work with this poo poo all week, gently caress talking about it after I walk out the door for the night. As long as the laptop runs and the NAS keeps working, I dont care anymore.... all I need is for Zwift and Minecraft to work, OpenVPN for the office and that's about it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Whilst I generally concur I need a reliable desktop for kids to do homework and a comfortable place to do cad, craptastic laptop ain't cutting it.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
My two favorite computer things I own. My MX Master mouse and my twin dell U2515 monitors. Thin bezels and near 100% rgb, /swoon.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My old tower. Frankly I can do without something tall enough that I can bang my knees on it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

git taller.

I've spent the last few hours forcing windows 10 onto an old lenovo thinkpad 2 against it's will, and after optimizing the gently caress out of it, it runs waaaaaaaay better than it did with windows 8.1

It's almost snappy. The screen on this thing is gorgeous, but there's the GUI for a copy program burned into it. It's only really apparent on some greys, but i didn't think IPS displays could burn in. i've been trying to see if i have bars or icons or anything burned into my PLS monitors, but i can't see anything.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ugh if you going to ban politics chat ban stupid pc building chat

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Or just, ya know, maybe don't inject yourself into a conversation that doesn't interest you, and politely let the people who are interested keep talking about it because you're not an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

ugh if you going to ban politics chat ban stupid pc building chat

The only topics allowed in the chat thread:

cooking
catte
crippling depression
dog

• Locked thread