Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Some of them spawn with sensors and thrusters, so they'll "run away" from you (read: hop a few times and then crash-land, disabling their thrusters or legs) before you can claim the prize inside.

The crates come with a small cargo container, with various worthless items--the real prize is the button on them, which, when pushed, gives you a one-time dice roll for a cosmetic item akin to Team Fortress 2's drop system. Because it's tied to Steam, you can only get a certain number of item drops per day, though the Unknown Signals will continue to spawn as long as you're in game.

Apparently if you have more than 5 players in a server together, a "Strong Unknown Signal" will appear, a greater distance away, which has a higher chance at "rare" cosmetic skins, whatever that means.

Neat, but ultimately little more than novelty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
What are the chances of ever having more than 5 people in a server concurrently though?

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

McGiggins posted:

What are the chances of ever having more than 5 people in a server concurrently though?

When APTAA was at it's prime, we regularly had about a dozen people on at a time.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

I'm beginning to think the drops are "per week," not "per day." I got 3 items on Thursday, and absolutely nothing today. :\

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How is performance and general playability these days? Last time I looked they were just starting to add planets, and it had a tendency to lurch, lock up, and/or plain explode out of nowhere.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

zennik posted:

When APTAA was at it's prime, we regularly had about a dozen people on at a time.

I remember that. RIP Industrial Crushing Machine.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Remember when we were just figuring out GCVs and the most hilarious thing was hiding an extra small thruster on your buddy's ride, pointed at the main cargo pod?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Omi no Kami posted:

How is performance and general playability these days? Last time I looked they were just starting to add planets, and it had a tendency to lurch, lock up, and/or plain explode out of nowhere.

It's actually pretty darn playable these days. There are still plenty of odd hiccoughs with Rotors and Pistons, so if you care about your creations at all just go for single grid developments, but performance is improving and there have been loads of memory optimizations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Omi no Kami posted:

Broadly speaking, performance is much better than it was back then. This week's patch has been a bit buggy in some regards due to it being a Major patch, but nothing that'd render it unplayable.

Aside from my missing planet :argh:

I've also been breaking in my new PC with something larger than usual. Just an O'Neil Cylinder :v:.

There's a dual-hull exterior with a one-block gap between the two for piping conveyors through. The external one's reinforced armor, the interior one's just the regular light armor kind. Also still need to stick some turrets on the exterior hull.

The external ports are airlock chambers, so the whole interior can be pressurized. They also have landing gear for tethering my big-rear end ships to it as a direct transport line for cargo pods and subcraft.

The Hangar section towards the back. The pad lights turn off when a ship is on them, and I still need to add general internal lighting.

One of the two general-use sections. They all have large fly-through gates between them, along with foot access at ground-level, and the central support pillar pipes air into the section.

If you see a section turn red, don't be inside once the section gates have automatically closed if you're not in a pressurized spacesuit...

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Drake_263 posted:

Remember when we were just figuring out GCVs and the most hilarious thing was hiding an extra small thruster on your buddy's ride, pointed at the main cargo pod?

It took me so long to figure that one out, bastards.

Remember the GMV + asteroid buttplug mineral collector?

I found that save file recently. Talk about nostalgia.

That's when it was still running as a purchased second copy of the game on my TV Box since they didn't have dedicated servers yet.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

That's really keen, Neddy, and a large-scale project! I really like what you did with the colors and lights. Great job. :)

Edit: Well, the drop reset seems to be ~3 days. Got three items on Thursday, and then three items Sunday. Not going to bother trying again until Wednesday.

XkyRauh fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 21, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Have the rear end-end of a space station;

It's got a lot of junk in the trunk. A lot of gas too :v:.

And a bunch of Jump Drives too to fill the gaps. They only push it about 1000km unladen, but I figure it's like a getaway thing rather than travel.

The big black core in the middle is a massive six-directional gravity drive that I uploaded to the Workshop as part of a set a while ago, with a solid 48G's acceleration on some 342-odd mass blocks (7x7x7 with the center block absent) . It's an oooooold thing I've had for ages that I found when I was going through some of my old Worlds. Its smaller variant is what's in the UFO's, incidentally, and if you need the station to move, it will go.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Is there a script to make gravity drives reasonably controllable?

Or even a script to use a gravity drive to stop?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

zennik posted:

It took me so long to figure that one out, bastards.

Remember the GMV + asteroid buttplug mineral collector?

I found that save file recently. Talk about nostalgia.

That's when it was still running as a purchased second copy of the game on my TV Box since they didn't have dedicated servers yet.

How could I forget? That thing made the server grind to a halt just when you flipped the power on.

I miss playing with you guys. Even Spooky going on his wrecking spree is funny in hindsight.

Hmn. I actually have a dedicated server for Empyrion. It's not quite as good as SE when it comes to actual engineering, but has a poo poo lot more content when it comes to survival and exploration. I might want to start inviting goons to play with next month, when I actually have the time for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spookydonut posted:

Is there a script to make gravity drives reasonably controllable?

Or even a script to use a gravity drive to stop?

It's a six-direction drive. Switch to the grav generators for the opposite direction until your acceleration's at/near zero :v:. Then go left, right, up and down for the fun of it.

Also cram a shitload of gyroscopes into your ship so you can actually turn the thing at full acceleration.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Maybe I should write a script for automatic gravity drive deceleration, just for something to do/an introduction to scripting in SE. Seems like it should be fairly straightforward.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Drake_263 posted:

How could I forget? That thing made the server grind to a halt just when you flipped the power on.

I miss playing with you guys. Even Spooky going on his wrecking spree is funny in hindsight.

Hmn. I actually have a dedicated server for Empyrion. It's not quite as good as SE when it comes to actual engineering, but has a poo poo lot more content when it comes to survival and exploration. I might want to start inviting goons to play with next month, when I actually have the time for it.

secret wrecking spree including my own stuff then pointing the finger at others

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
You devious bastard, you.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Please tell me you plan on dropping this onto a planet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

quote:

Hello, Engineers! This week's minor release is primarily focusing on the Chinese translation of the game, but also on other minor fixes such as parachute fixes, container spawning, block fixes and many others.
During 5 month period, We have been working on Chinese translation for Space Engineers with the great help from Chinese community! Now we are happy to announce, that we have finished the translation and releasing it today.

工程师们,大家好!很高兴今天要宣布一个重大的消息:“中文版正式发布”借此机会感谢社区的一些朋友,五个月来对我们翻译工作的支持,可能翻译有些不足的地方,请大家给出宝贵的意见!另外我们还发布了降落伞,装备箱和方块的一些修复。请关注。谢谢!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVpdCh0G65U

Features:

Chinese language
added access rights checking for block painting

Fixes:

fixed crash while clicking join game in main menu
fixed a bug where ship become dynamic with locked landing gears to voxel
fixed character stuck in med bay after receiving item from market
fixed not being able to control enemy turret with admin tool "can use all terminals" activated
fixed gatling gun sound and particles keep looping
fixed LOD of Light and Heavy Round Inv. Corner blocks not displaying properly
fixed parachute not working with conveyor system
fixed parachute does not render in some cases
fixed a bug where more than one personal container could be spawned
increased spawn time of container drops to 10 - 45 minutes (this does not lower amount of items you get, there is just less empty containers)

This week it's just a Chinese language option, and I guess now you can't run around tagging other people's ships with graffiti?

Vord posted:

Please tell me you plan on dropping this onto a planet.

Well I can't not do that now. Not like there's any shortage of Earth planets in the Workshop either...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

If you think your PC can handle the thing (fair warning, this sucker's massive), have your very own O'Neill Cylinder.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I want someone to try dropping this on a planet to see if it crashes (the game)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spookydonut posted:

I want someone to try dropping this on a planet to see if it crashes (the game)

You and literally goddamn everyone wants a colony drop. You know what?

Let's drop the motherfucker :rock:.

Sadly it just unceremoniously sunk into the ground.

And then the game crashed :rip:.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

NWS that poo poo, drat.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

:rip:

*pours out a cold one for Neddy's ship*

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just the usual round of bugfixes this week;

quote:

Hello, Engineers! While we are fully focused on next major update, in this week's minor we are bringing bunch of fixes likes not spawning containers, small advance rotor head clipping through rotor body. This update is bringing a lot of crash fixes with various UI cases, resource distribution, copy and pasting of drones in MP and others. Perhaps the most noteworthy fix this update is concerning the visual bug for moving grids that was encountered by RYZEN and I7 users.

Unfortunately there is no video for this week (greetings to Xoc).

While we have no pun to end on this week, from Xoc, and I (I23I7) am not good at puns. Let us end on one of my favorite quotes:

„Well, the thing about a black hole - it's main distinguishing feature - is it's black. And the thing about space, the color of space, your basic space color - is it's black. So how are you supposed to see them?“ - Holly

Fixes:

fixed various crashes
fixed issues with containers not spawning
fixed visual glitch when on moving ship
fixed incorrect translation for Chinese version
fixed issue with small adv. rotor head clipping through rotor block

I have no idea what the moving grids bug was, because I never saw anything like that and I'm now on a Ryzen 1700x :shrug:.

XkyRauh posted:

:rip:

*pours out a cold one for Neddy's ship*

Excuse me, it's a space station, and furthermore :goonsay:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And then the game crashed :rip:.

Called it.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
So anyone test out today's patch yet? They added half blocks but what wonderful bugs are going to appear this time?

Will the leopard print drill spawn actual leopards that then explode?

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

So gravity cannon are still pretty drat powerful even if you use modded weapons, I and one of my friends had a kind of 'battleship fight' in Creative where we each made a ship then fought each other with them.

Considering the ludicrous number of guns on the things? Performance was surprisingly good and the game did not crash, despite my friend making a 57,000 ton space dreadnought of unfathomable hugeness and there being about 200 guns/missile launchers firing away at the height of the combat.

Then I rapid fired gravity cannon shots at him from my ship 1/3 of the size and tore his vessel apart once the point defence was overwhelmed, but still.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Verizian posted:

So anyone test out today's patch yet? They added half blocks but what wonderful bugs are going to appear this time?

The half block don't work on small ships for a start.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I did a quick test in single player and the "Merging wipes groups" bug is fixed per patch notes. This was one of the major bugs that made me stop playing around with modular tools.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

quote:

Hello, Engineers! This week’s major update brings a huge amount of improvements to the game as well as a couple of new armor blocks. The first thing you will notice when starting up the game is the changes to the main menu user interface. A lot of improvements were made as we focused on enhancing readability and usability of our interface, while removing several inconsistencies and making the screens more visually appealing. We have also added additional tooltips, reorganized the contents of several screens and added a screenshot preview to the “Load Game” menu, to help you find the right save more easily.

With this update, we are also adding 2 new armor block variations, the half block and the half sloped block. Because you wanted it! This will allow you to come up with new, interesting block combinations and give your creations some more style variety. It’s something that we know players have been wanting for some time.

Next up, antennas have been reworked in this release. The window for remotely connecting to grids has been reworked. It now shows all broadcasting grids in range and the icons showing problems work correctly. You can now connect to friendly grids if they are unowned and we fixed exploits which allowed connecting to enemy grids. In multiplayer, antenna range is no longer limited by replication range (which allows antenna signals over 3 km). This affects both the normal and laser antenna and allows remote control over greater distances while at the same time having massively improved performance.

For multiplayer, we have some more general improvements. The positions of characters are now sent relative to the nearest grid. This significantly improves walking around on a grid which is moving and rotating. We also improved what is called island replication which translates in game as there being no more infinite loading wheels and less strain on servers. Character and controlled grid movement is now stopped when the server doesn't hear from the client in some time which should prevent certain deaths caused by lag spikes. Other issues fixed include most inventory desync problems (but we are aware of more) and invisible trees for some clients on servers.

Additionally, we resolved many issues related to grass and the rendering of grass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32uRfgECrPs

Features:

Antennas refactor makes them functional again on DS
UI Main Menu redesign
Light and Heavy Half Armor Blocks / Light and Heavy Half Slope Armor Blocks added
Grass and Tree changes that fix visual issues like grass rendering in tunnels and invisible trees

MP Improvements:

Improvements to player positioning in-game being relative to the nearest grid making movement on moving ships
Changes to the inventory code that mend to most cases where players would have desynchornized inventories (there are still some cases left)
Character/Grid movement is stopped if the server and client disconnect/lag (in order to avoid deaths due to lag spikes)
Further improved loading times and island replication which was causing infinite loading

Fixes:

fixed issue for launching DS server on W10
fixed rare crash with small grids colliding
fixed trees not being rendered properly
fixed invulnerable warheads when not armed
fixed ownership issue on Lone Survivor starting grid
fixed unusable control panel on a piston after merging it to a sub-grid
fixed issue with connectors disabling ship steering while two players are inside the ship
fixed issue when pasting large grid and sub grids not being pasted as a whole
fixed rotors in blueprints not saving their displacements
fixed issue with Enable Broadcast checkbox not being remember by turned off antennas when reloading
fixed groups in the control panel dissappearing after merging two grids
fixed issue with GPS coordinates not following players backpack after death
fixed skins de-selecting themselves when quickly swapping skins
fixed skins for tools not refreshing properly for other players
fixed issue where when refreshing the UI the search bar had to be updated to be taken into account
fixed issue with HUD key being applied while typing into the chat
fixed issue with emmissivity when repairing the MedBay
fixed rifle shooting effects not following the barrel
fixed sensor missing rear texture
fixed issue with block icons overlapping unto the toolbar
fixed Refinery or Solar Panel glitch that would trigger under certain cases
fixed issue LODs showing wrong emmissives for conveyor tubes

In other news, we will be kicking off a screenshot competition today with a number of different categories. The prizes include complete skin sets of the winner’s choice and there’s a chance that some could be added to the official loading screens. If you're interested, you can find more details about this competition in Mareks blog post.

As for me I've been making a new ship;

The black-bottomed sections are planetary drop pods. Everything needed to start a base, with a Tarantula Multipod in the built-in hangar bay.

And a station. The subcraft hangar pods are all operated on buttons and timers, because grouping them would just make all of them open and close at the same time. But I think it adds to the style, personally.

It's a set of interlocking NASA-esque parts, with no internal gravity except for the centrifugal ring. And I've got a few gyroscopes in the ring that can be activated to make the whole thing spin on its axis for a faux-centrifugal effect :barf:. They're all capable of being disconnected, but they're 'manual' locks so they have to be disabled via buttons at the relevant internal airlock rather than remotely (because I made one mounting point and copy/pasted it onto all of the pods).

Patrat posted:

So gravity cannon are still pretty drat powerful even if you use modded weapons, I and one of my friends had a kind of 'battleship fight' in Creative where we each made a ship then fought each other with them.

Considering the ludicrous number of guns on the things? Performance was surprisingly good and the game did not crash, despite my friend making a 57,000 ton space dreadnought of unfathomable hugeness and there being about 200 guns/missile launchers firing away at the height of the combat.

Then I rapid fired gravity cannon shots at him from my ship 1/3 of the size and tore his vessel apart once the point defence was overwhelmed, but still.

Now, you say this, and yet your post doesn't have any pictures of your friend's fancy dreadnought :colbert:.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Hey nerds, I was recommended this game by one of my Steam friends, and it seems like it might be up your alleys as well:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/445220/Avorion/

So far I've just played the tutorial but it seems rather more Minecraft-esque than Space Engineers, and has an assload of NPCs it looks like.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's a fun bug this week; Separating large-block ships connected by merge blocks causes a consistent Out of Memory error. I am less than happy about this, to say the least.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Does anyone run the Exploration Enhancement mod pack?

This is one of the most awesome yet frustrating mods I've used in SE. The added content and the huge range of events is fantastic, but I don't think I can go an hour without some NPC ship spawning and crashing in to the side of my asteroid base at 100m/s. Plus, after this huge pirate attack event I had a number of really cool pirate ships disabled and ready to be ground up/repurposed but then along comes some good Samaritan NPC ship and seeing that I was surrounded by SPRT ships, parks his as about 500m from the ship I was working on and loving cores all three wrecks.

On one hand, gently caress these loving NPCs. On another, now that SE is somewhat more stable, I really miss the thrill of losing hours worth of work to stupid bullshit.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

squidflakes posted:

On one hand, gently caress these loving NPCs. On another, now that SE is somewhat more stable, I really miss the thrill of losing hours worth of work to stupid bullshit.

That's what playing with "friends" is for.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Lol at you loving normies with friends

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Friendly reminder that when goon servers first became a thing, ship-mounted welders and grinders had just been implemented. This lead to a lot of goons experiencing with welder utility ships.

This directly necessitated some enterprising soul making a sign on the side of the main base tower:

"Days Since Last Welder-Related Accident:"

The loving thing never got above zero.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

It's not an accident if it's on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ass_Burgerer posted:

It's not an accident if it's on purpose.

Accidents don't happen, they're caused :colbert:.

Speaking of causing accidents, I actually made a Respawn Ship.

It's a one-way colonization drop-pod with basic amenities (refinery, assemblers, etc). With a built-in hangar containing a Tarantula Multipod to make building poo poo on the ground easier.

Along with the Second Star, a space station made with my new NASA module set. It'll likely make lower-spec PC's somewhat upset, as it's kinda big. Try pushing the buttons by the internal doors. See what happens :unsmigghh:.

Drake_263 posted:

Friendly reminder that when goon servers first became a thing, ship-mounted welders and grinders had just been implemented. This lead to a lot of goons experiencing with welder utility ships.

This directly necessitated some enterprising soul making a sign on the side of the main base tower:

"Days Since Last Welder-Related Accident:"

The loving thing never got above zero.

It's not a concern, it's a goal :science:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 28, 2017

• Locked thread