Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Brand loyalty. Why cheer for a given team when you can bandwagon for another and get cheap thrills and smuggery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Apple is cool and good. #megainc

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Wirth1000 posted:

Leading manufacturing standards and exquisitely designed hardware coupled with hit-and-miss software fornicated by a cultish marketing scheme that Apple just works which is fine to some degree I mean hell here I am typing this post out at work on a MacBook Air from 2013 (Haswell, bitch) and literally not a single god drat issue with it software or hardware wise at all and still runs fine like it did on the first day. Then Steve Jobs died and while the manufacturing standards are still there the software side of things has started to waver and Tim Cooks Apple is not Steve Jobs Apple.

Actually thats always been my stance on apple: Amazing hardware coupled with lovely to meh software.

So the Hardware is Alonso and the Software is McHonda. Got it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I will say their lower end stuff and peripherals are just rear end. I had an entry level Macbook around 2009 and that thing fell apart practically overnight. Having said that I've never managed to get more than three years out of a laptop.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The MacBook Tis were utter trash. Look at them funny and screen snapped off.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

dentist toy box posted:

So the Hardware is Alonso and the Software is McHonda. Got it.

No, the hardware is Alonso and the software is Ferrari - widely beloved but fatally flawed.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Minto Took posted:

The MacBook Tis were utter trash. Look at them funny and screen snapped off.

So Honda's current F1 offering.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I use an iPad because I just need something portable to type on the internet with, and watch videos on , with a really great screen, without having to do any of that thinking nonsense.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

1500quidporsche posted:

Snap-On is another thing I don't get. I've used Snap-On tools, I've used non Snap-On tools. I don't get the hard on and justification to pay that much more.

Well the snap-on truck drives by the shop and has an agreement with the owner where they can just deduct your payment from your paycheck, and this is better because....

This is an actual reason I was told when I worked at a dealership.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Have you used Snapons at a shop where your job is to use those tools all day long without having issues? It makes more sense there

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Can I suggest apple is way overpriced and iTunes is the worst piece of software ever made?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Have you used Snapons at a shop where your job is to use those tools all day long without having issues? It makes more sense there

I have no issue with shops using them, although to be honest I've used MAC poo poo and some other brand I can't remember as well and the difference is negligible in my view, certainly not worth giving Snap On the massive amount of hype they get. It's mostly the amateur hobbyist like myself that acts like their life has been greatly enhanced by blowing $400 on a set of nut drivers when the set from Canadian tire for $20 will see them through their lives.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

AgentJotun posted:

Can I suggest apple is way overpriced and iTunes is the worst piece of software ever made?

It's ok if you can only afford bin phones. You don't have to badmouth real hardware for it to be ok.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

AgentJotun posted:

iTunes is indeed hot garbage, but you can pry my 2009 Mac Pro from my cold, dead hands. It was bordering on obsolete when it was new, but goddamn if it isn't still the best piece of Apple hardware still supported (for another few months, lol).

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Apple hardware isn’t overpriced, with a few exceptions. The competition is only cheaper until they actually make something with similar build quality. The HomePod is gonna be real dumb, though.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

wicka posted:

Apple hardware isn’t overpriced, with a few exceptions. The competition is only cheaper until they actually make something with similar build quality. The HomePod is gonna be real dumb, though.

For £350 For a speaker and god knows how much for all the accessories for the whole system I think I'll just keep on using Bluetooth to connect my iPad to my stereo, and telling my children to do stuff like turn lights off and leave the loving thermostat alone.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Use the Honda earth car and marketing to teach them about environmentalism

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
Surely everyone knows by now that the only way to listen to music is via a Bose system?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Bose #Megatone

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'll just get a lecture about the negative humanitarian impact caused by using rare earth minerals in electric car batteries if I mention F1 in our house at the moment. A V12 F1 car is far more environmentally and humanity friendly than a hybrid road car apparently. It's just that as the bad and catastrophic destruction is happening in the arse end of China the people of California and Sweden can happily ignore it while smugly lecturing normal car owners about the ice caps.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Are those loving Senna / Brazil Bose?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Those headphones are awesome though. #megazone

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

What is going on here.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

He's having an important business meeting with his helmet

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
He looks like child pissed off that his mother made him wear a suit in that second picture so he's going to sit in the corner for the whole wedding listening to music and ignoring everyone to punish her.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Wirth1000 posted:

What is going on here.

That's the dressing room for the megazone.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

He's having an important business meeting with his helmet

This. But also, this:

Brainwrong posted:

That's the dressing room for the megazone.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

The best part is that one of those guys PMed me and he immediately figured out how to do exactly what I want, but everyone was too busy crying itt to answer my actual question.

It's seriously so good. They legitimately don't want to speak to the fact that the software should be able to do the thing you want it to do and instead are telling you "it's not the app for you, man"

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I'll just get a lecture about the negative humanitarian impact caused by using rare earth minerals in electric car batteries if I mention F1 in our house at the moment. A V12 F1 car is far more environmentally and humanity friendly than a hybrid road car apparently. It's just that as the bad and catastrophic destruction is happening in the arse end of China the people of California and Sweden can happily ignore it while smugly lecturing normal car owners about the ice caps.

Or lithium mines in Australia/pools in Chile. And really the biggest impact now is on intercontinental shipping. Marine diesel is disgusting compared with what's used in Europe or the US now.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Let's not forget our old friends the coal powered power stations needed to provide the electricity to charge them.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Bose sucks sorry lewis

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I actually love Microsoft's build quality on their stuff but it's really that much cheaper than Apple. Google's poo poo is cheap as hell because they build their poo poo with third party crap from ASUS or something.

As far as Apple having massive profit margins that's nothing new, I remember a watershed moment in the "what the gently caress is Apple doing" 90s was when the Mac II FX cost, with monitor, $10,000 brand new.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

What is going on here.

He's contemplating the lasting impact of Nico's mind games.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
(e: wrong thread)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 19, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have the new iPad the "iPad" and it was literally given away to me by vodaphone with a data only sim as they wanted me to stay on contract - in the past the monthly sim cost went up with a new iPhone/iPad but not this time. I suspect this is the future in the U.K. Make the money on this iHome system (or whatever they called it) and it's apps and accessories but drop or give away the base device.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Apple would have to charge 2-3 times as much as they do now before I'd give up and switch to Android.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I miss my $50 Windows Phone which had no apps, but acted as a 4G hotspot with a battery that lasted forever, and I never worried about dropping.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I miss my $50 Windows Phone which had no apps, but acted as a 4G hotspot with a battery that lasted forever, and I never worried about dropping.

I had a Lumia 900, it was great. Windows Phone was the only mobile OS anyone has ever made that was actually competitive with iOS from a usability perspective. Sucks that no one made any apps for it. "Hey wicka, wouldn't it be great if someone made a phone based on the Zune?" You're god drat right it'd be great.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Apple would have to charge 2-3 times as much as they do now before I'd give up and switch to Android.

I would be in favour of this if their phones actually lasted 2-3 times longer, but they don't. Quality is okay useful if it translates into longevity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I would be in favour of this if their phones actually lasted 2-3 times longer, but they don't. Quality is okay useful if it translates into longevity.

Every phone is woefully outdated before it actually stops working.

• Locked thread