Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Any good design / architecture shows and documentaries on netflix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

A MIRACLE posted:

Abstract is really good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A MIRACLE posted:

Not on Netflix but I found a cool little doc on Bauhaus (the architecture style, not the band):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vCtBtQOdCQ

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

A MIRACLE posted:

Grand Designs and Abstract: the Art of Design are both good. The guy who built his house out of trashed bridge pieces is a particular favorite engineering thing to see in a show. I've never seen Mega Builders but added it to m list

If you have access to a library check them and search up anything with engineer or design in the tags. Engineering Disasters rules, and the uhh, e^2 documentary design is available online or on DVD.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

A MIRACLE posted:

not on Netflix, but on Vimeo, Vito Acconci / Acconci Studio: Interiors. Buildings. Parks. is a trip http://www.ubu.com/film/loktev_acconci-buildings.html

Unmature
May 9, 2008
GF and I it's moved to San Francisco and are starting a podcast about movies set in SF/learning how to live in SF. If you have a favorite SF set movie that's streaming I guess let me know.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Innerspace is still on Netflix and is a powerfully SF movie.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Lol Zodiac

And I think some Clint Eastwood movies

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Bad Santa 2 kinda blows on top of being an impossibly lame and safe sequel

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just watched Bad Santa 1 for the first time recently, and I have no idea why people like that movie in the first place.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I just watched Bad Santa 1 for the first time recently, and I have no idea why people like that movie in the first place.

Because no one does incredible piece of poo poo deadbeat but also super charming better than BBT

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Which version?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Hat Thoughts posted:

Which version?

Both. Bad Santa fuckin owns

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Yeah, the first one is dope and funny - the second is, "Okay, now let's make an exposition-heavy, conventional heist movie, but with a lot of vulgarity." It's just so passé and lame.

It's like going from The Greasy Strangler to a Medea movie.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

K. Waste posted:

Yeah, the first one is dope and funny - the second is, "Okay, now let's make an exposition-heavy, conventional heist movie, but with a lot of vulgarity." It's just so passé and lame.

So like going from a terrible movie to another terrible movie? Sounds about right, Bad Santa sucks rear end.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

tweet my meat posted:

So like going from a terrible movie to another terrible movie? Sounds about right, Bad Santa sucks rear end.

Performance? Performance like sexual? Are you saying there's something wrong with my gear? 'S that what you're sayin' to me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1eMAFWXZ4Q

edit:

Also, Bernie Mac, nuff said

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

K. Waste posted:

Euripides presents Medea's Family Reunion

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

tweet my meat posted:

You are incredibly wrong. If you can't laugh at the bad Santa movies you might be dead.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I wouldn't go as far as comparing it to Greasy Strangler as one poster has, but it's definitely bad.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010

Unmature posted:

GF and I it's moved to San Francisco and are starting a podcast about movies set in SF/learning how to live in SF. If you have a favorite SF set movie that's streaming I guess let me know.

I think The Room is set in SF.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

tweet my meat posted:

I wouldn't go as far as comparing it to Greasy Strangler as one poster has, but it's definitely bad.

BULLSHIT ARTIST

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Martman posted:

Snowpisser

I'd rather discuss GLOWmethius itt

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I watched the Matrix Trilogy this week (Netflix). If you're wondering if the movies improve if you have a fever, they do not.

I still think the first one could stand to be a bit shorter. The most dated aspect is clearly the too-cool-for-skool costumes they wear in the Matrix. You would think they would want to keep a low profile so they wouldn't get spotted by an Agent (since they apparently can do a sweep for people who see "unusual" things) but they're all dressed like they walked out of a music video. It's like they intentionally designed this movie to be as appealing to teenage boys as possible.

Reloaded was worse than I remembered and Revolutions... wasn't as bad? I think it mainly benefited from extremely low expectations on my part. Reloaded really feels like it could be improved tremendously with editing. Nearly every fight involving Neo is boring and pointless and can be heavily trimmed or removed entirely (the agents at the beginning, the worthless teahouse fight with Seraph, etc). I still don't get why the power suit things in the third one have absolutely no protection for the rider, but if you start going down the Tactical Realism rabbit hole you'll start wondering why the machines didn't use chemical/nuclear weapons so whatever. The ship maneuvering through the tunnels was a lot better done than I remembered.

Honestly the second/third movies weren't quite as bad as I had made them out to be over a decade of not watching them. I'm in no hurry to rewatch them, but if the rumors of a fourth movie are true I don't think it would be the end of the world.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Bad Santa rules. I've never laughed harder than the kid's name being Thermon Mermon. Also Billy Bob beating the poo poo out of the 13 year old.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

david_a posted:

I watched the Matrix Trilogy this week (Netflix). If you're wondering if the movies improve if you have a fever, they do not.

I still think the first one could stand to be a bit shorter. The most dated aspect is clearly the too-cool-for-skool costumes they wear in the Matrix. You would think they would want to keep a low profile so they wouldn't get spotted by an Agent (since they apparently can do a sweep for people who see "unusual" things) but they're all dressed like they walked out of a music video. It's like they intentionally designed this movie to be as appealing to teenage boys as possible.

Reloaded was worse than I remembered and Revolutions... wasn't as bad? I think it mainly benefited from extremely low expectations on my part. Reloaded really feels like it could be improved tremendously with editing. Nearly every fight involving Neo is boring and pointless and can be heavily trimmed or removed entirely (the agents at the beginning, the worthless teahouse fight with Seraph, etc). I still don't get why the power suit things in the third one have absolutely no protection for the rider, but if you start going down the Tactical Realism rabbit hole you'll start wondering why the machines didn't use chemical/nuclear weapons so whatever. The ship maneuvering through the tunnels was a lot better done than I remembered.

Honestly the second/third movies weren't quite as bad as I had made them out to be over a decade of not watching them. I'm in no hurry to rewatch them, but if the rumors of a fourth movie are true I don't think it would be the end of the world.

Yeah, I think your assessments are pretty apt. I also rewatched the first one recently, and while it is still a fun movie, the technology and edgy fashion do date it. It's not the mind-blowing movie I thought it was in high school where I could watch it on repeat over and over. i think I rented it from Blockbuster a good 10 times before my parents finally let me buy it.

Reloaded is definitely the weakest of the three. There are some cool fight scenes, and the highway chase is still pretty great, it was too much like the first one.

And Revolutions I actually think is pretty great, precisely because they spend so little time in the Matrix. They could have explained things better, I still don't understand why Neo had some powers outside of the Matrix, but it's I think a legit good movie. I never understood all the hate for it.

I'm curious to see what they're going to do with this new movie. I think they said it's neither a remake nor a sequel.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

The_Rob posted:

Bad Santa rules. I've never laughed harder than the kid's name being Thermon Mermon. Also Billy Bob beating the poo poo out of the 13 year old.

I was just thinking this, that the Thermon Mermon reveal has a special place in my cinema-loving heart for some reason. It's a relatively stupid joke but its timing in the movie, and the ridiculous nature of the kid himself just worked very well.

Bad Santa 2 was perfectly OK. It wasn't awful, but it didn't feel as novel as the original and is totally skippable.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Bad Santa rules, bad Santa 2 is loving delightful

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I dunno, I thought it looked stupid when it came out, but after years of people saying it was great, I feel like I went in with a pretty open mind and it was exactly what I was expecting all along. I maybe laughed once or twice. I don't get the love for it all, maybe I'm a broke brain or something.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LogisticEarth posted:

Bad Santa 2 was perfectly OK. It wasn't awful, but it didn't feel as novel as the original and is totally skippable.

"OK" is generally the best you can ever expect from a comedy sequel.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

veni veni veni posted:

I dunno, I thought it looked stupid when it came out, but after years of people saying it was great, I feel like I went in with a pretty open mind and it was exactly what I was expecting all along. I maybe laughed once or twice. I don't get the love for it all, maybe I'm a broke brain or something.

I'm with you. I love stupid comedies and finally gave in last year to watch it. Nope.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Thanks whoever recommended grand designs, it's like the British baking show of homebuilding

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I marathoned The Defenders and was disappointed. It dragged a lot throughout each episode, the plot was rather nonsensical, the action and choreography sucked because they kept cutting between the heroes, it was centered largely around Danny Rand who is the least interesting and worst acted of the 4 main characters, and the antagonists were the always-boring Hand. I think comic series with more than a couple of protagonists just aren't for me.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Marvel sucks and is boring. Bring back Dredd 2012!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay, who are Sprocket Flicks and why are they putting up a bunch of heavily censored versions of 60s sexploitation movies up on Amazon Prime?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
immediate snippy (keyest word) high dealbreakers...
your show opens with you strangling a dog to put it out of its suffering...talk about goofy and unsubtle. this isn't an anime, sir.
your show opens with you listing synonym/slang for money and then defining it...im good highschool essay

but now I have nothing to watch. I did really like The People v. O.J. Simpson
I've never seen Making a Murderer and pretty much blocked out the cultural osmosis of it so I guess I should maybe just finally watch that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I've never seen Making a Murderer and pretty much blocked out the cultural osmosis of it so I guess I should maybe just finally watch that.

Check out The Jinx too if you have HBO and haven't seen it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

immediate snippy (keyest word) high dealbreakers...
your show opens with you strangling a dog to put it out of its suffering...talk about goofy and unsubtle. this isn't an anime, sir.
your show opens with you listing synonym/slang for money and then defining it...im good highschool essay

Check out The Keepers on Netflix.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I'd watch 90 minutes of Bernie Mac (rip) eating a succulent, juicy orange without one closing his mouth while he chews

This is my ultimate fantasy

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I petered out of Arrested Development season 4 about halfway through and now I'm watching Ozark and can't not see Michael Bluth getting a blowie from a hooker in a parking lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I've burning through baskets on Hulu and I really like it. Not nearly as bleak as Louie which was just exhausting

The ads within the show are pretty annoying but at least they lampshade it I guess. Is it really that hard to get a major cable company to produce a comedy?