Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Quirks and Edges make me think Savage Worlds

It's not; the stats aren't right and aren't die types.

I'm not aware of any games that rate all five senses numerically, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm not aware of any games that rate all five senses numerically, though.
I believe HarnMaster does (though this is obviously not HM)

e: Yep

FMguru fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 19, 2017

Entoloma
Jan 2, 2009
I'm a bit out of the loop and the old thread is archived but is there any news on what FFG is doing (if anything) with the L5R RPG?

I know they were apparently going to do something with the card game that I didn't really care about and at the time they couldn't even be bothered to make a RPG subforum on their site. Any developments I've missed in the past 12 months?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Three words: Katana shaped dice

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Len posted:

But how much for extra dudes because that's where xwing pricey

I'd look at Rune Wars for an idea on that. Will almost certainly be more expensive unless they're trying to keep it to 10-20 dudes per side, but even then, $$$expansion upgrade cards$$$

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

AhahahHHAhahahaha

https://twitter.com/ENnies/status/898724847777234945

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What? You mean the Ennies are worthless? Color me shocked!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The raw concept of willy wonka dungeon must have carried pretty far

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

:shrek:

Scuze me while I laugh myself hoarse.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm not saying it's a particularly good reason, but because Temporary HP is a stat that existed prior to Starfinder (as a 3.x concept), so they probably didn't want to change the name to retain compatibility.

Like, D&D has HP, and Temp HP. Starfinder splits HP into HP and SP ... but Temp HP is still Temp HP because that's what it's always been called.

Yes.

When you hit zero HP, you are Dying.
Dying makes you lose 1 Resolve per turn.
If you're already at zero Resolve and you lose another Resolve for any reason (including the 1/turn from Dying), you die.

If you spend the 1-3 Resolve to Stabilize, then you're no longer Dying, but you're still not able to act.
You still have 0 HP, but at least you're not losing Resolve every turn (which is what kills you).

Staying in the Fight is when you're already Stabilized, and you spend 1 Resolve to heal yourself back to 1 HP, which lets you act again.

Okay so you have temp HP, then when you run out of that you lose SP, then when you run out of that you lose HP, then when you run out of that you lose resolve, then when you run out of that you still don't die until you lose one more.

That's... really a lot of effort to try make sure PCs don't die. Surely it's just be easier to say that PCs just don't die from taking damage in combat at all? Put in some conditions under which a PC can die and when those conditions are in play it's not hard for the PC to die, but without those conditions it is impossible. So you'll never die because of random loving kobolds but you might die heroically against the great wyrm. The conditions could be purely GM-determined, purely mechanical, or a mix of both.

Dying when you run out of HP (or double-extra-bonus HP or whatever) is the sacred cow that I was happiest to BBQ when I wrote Strike! and seeing D&D authors stack on multiple extra HPs in the hopes of basically fixing the problem without actually fixing it fills me with schadenfreude. Take the blinders off and the problem is easy to solve!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

He posted an acceptance speech on his tumblr where he declared that getting nominated for this award means that gatekeeping in the hobby is dead

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jimbozig posted:

Okay so you have temp HP, then when you run out of that you lose SP, then when you run out of that you lose HP, then when you run out of that you lose resolve, then when you run out of that you still don't die until you lose one more.

* temp HP is generally reserved for special effects and abilities, so it's not really something that shows up all the time

* the dying once you run out of Resolve thing is "progress" insofar as it's no longer being dead at a certain value of negative HP, which tends to not scale well with increasing damage

* also, Resolve is used for a bunch of other effects besides just Stabilizing and Staying in the Fight. Specifically, you can spend a Resolve and a 10 minute rest to restore your Stamina as a kinda sorta Healing Surge Short Rest deal if you squint.

* I agree that if the design was supposed to give players more HP, they should have just been given more HP.

Entoloma
Jan 2, 2009
So what is the deal with this Blood in the Chocolate adventure? A quick search told me it is a Lamentations of the Flame Princess adventure, a game I've heard of but haven't taken a look at.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Entoloma posted:

So what is the deal with this Blood in the Chocolate adventure? A quick search told me it is a Lamentations of the Flame Princess adventure, a game I've heard of but haven't taken a look at.

It's super gross and super fetishistic.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Entoloma posted:

quote:

And just to the south of the tree are 5 stone sacrificial slabs where a random person with Noxious Berry Curse is being "cut into by 2d6 pygmies and hosed".

Actually, that's not quite true. There's only a 1 in 3 chance of that. There's another 1 in 3 chance that three people are tied up being bled to death while 2d6 pygmies are having sex with each other while covered in the victim's blood, and a 1 in 6 chance that there's a female guard with Noxious Berry Curse being prepared for sacrifice. If it happens that the pygmies are raping an inflated victim, a PC who joins in might win some trust from the pygmies.

From hyphz's FATAL and Friends writeup.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

gradenko_2000 posted:

* also, Resolve is used for a bunch of other effects besides just Stabilizing and Staying in the Fight. Specifically, you can spend a Resolve and a 10 minute rest to restore your Stamina as a kinda sorta Healing Surge Short Rest deal if you squint.
Oh yeah, by far the biggest reason to put in a SP/HP split in the first place is that the dummies who hated the idea of a PC being able to restore their own HP or a leader being able to inspire you to recover some HP will be totally ok with it now that it's called SP instead.

As I typed that, I realize I'm still hanging on to a little bit of bitterness over how ungodly stupid some of those arguments were. Dudes saying "so the warlord is just going to shout your guts back in?" As though they play where HP loss means you are literally fighting with your guts dragging on the floor and your guts just get reabsorbed after a good night's rest in their edition and this is all perfectly sensible.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Tales from the Loop got several nods including Product of the Year

https://twitter.com/ENnies/status/898730230969401348

I'm counting 5 awards.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 19, 2017

Entoloma
Jan 2, 2009

Yeah... took a look at that. Sheer creepiness aside set out by that article, I don't understand why it would be getting an award given the derivative nature.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Oh yeah, by far the biggest reason to put in a SP/HP split in the first place is that the dummies who hated the idea of a PC being able to restore their own HP or a leader being able to inspire you to recover some HP will be totally ok with it now that it's called SP instead.

The main argument for vitality/wounds is that people have a problem with shrugging off bullets in a way they don't have for shrugging off axe blows. Since Starfinder involves guns, there need to be rules for getting shot in the head and dying randomly.

I don't know why this doesn't apply equally to swords, but then again I don't have a problem with shrugging off bullets until you run out of shrug-off-bullets-points.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I got a feeling that judges don't read the drat products in front of them. I mean like duh obviously but. Lamentations of the Flame Princess and its official modules in general (BitC is one of them) have a long history of simply being marked as mature and then nobody really actually digs into them, they just see the brand name and the mature rating and shrug and don't question why it's rated mature. Someone has to legit just sit down and vet these drat things before they're even nominated to begin with, not that I trust the awards in the slightest.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Entoloma posted:

Yeah... took a look at that. Sheer creepiness aside set out by that article, I don't understand why it would be getting an award given the derivative nature.

Grindhouse exploitation Wonka is an untapped market?

Entoloma
Jan 2, 2009
I guess I need to finish my Santa/Christmas based adventure featuring drow raiding a mechanus toy factory. With some terrible fetish stuff thrown in too. ENNIE AWARD GUARANTEED. =P

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Entoloma posted:

Because the ENnies are largely just a popularity contest and right now "ironic" shock designed to "trigger" people is in vogue, so it makes sense that a super gross adventure full of rape and fuckin and grossout gore would have folks turning out to vote for it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cease to Hope posted:

The main argument for vitality/wounds is that people have a problem with shrugging off bullets in a way they don't have for shrugging off axe blows. Since Starfinder involves guns, there need to be rules for getting shot in the head and dying randomly.

I don't know why this doesn't apply equally to swords, but then again I don't have a problem with shrugging off bullets until you run out of shrug-off-bullets-points.

Starfinder doesn't even really work like this, though: you still gain HP and SP every level, bullets still hit your SP first (but roll against Kinetic AC), and laser pistols still hit your SP first (but roll against Energy AC, which is 1 to 3 points lower than KAC).

So it doesn't quite get that effect that, say, Star Wars d20 did, where HP is flat and guns bypass Stamina.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

LeSquide posted:

Grindhouse exploitation Wonka is an untapped market?

you can't mix cool grindhouse sexploitation with an inflation fetish. Probably. Foot stuff is about as weird as it can get

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

rumble in the bunghole posted:

you can't mix cool grindhouse sexploitation with an inflation fetish. Probably. Foot stuff is about as weird as it can get

looking forward to Quentin Tarantino and Joss Whedon's Ennie-award winning OSR supplement next year

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Entoloma posted:

Awards are bad generally and the Ennies are bad even for awards.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

rumble in the bunghole posted:

you can't mix cool grindhouse sexploitation with an inflation fetish.

Watch me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If Tarantino was able to bring his foot fetish into all kinds of cool exploitation, this isn't going to be the combo that breaks the concept.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Please tell me that was a raid.

If not, well, ugh. It's not just the fetishy stuff, it's that even ignoring it BitC is a terrible adventure. The plot and framing are weak, the integration of traps makes no sense, it rips off Willy Wonka but removes all the aspects that gave it even Carroll-style logic, has blatant player manipulation to encourage more nonsensical traps, and the final boss is a random encounter.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

hyphz posted:

Please tell me that was a raid.

If not, well, ugh. It's not just the fetishy stuff, it's that even ignoring it BitC is a terrible adventure. The plot and framing are weak, the integration of traps makes no sense, it rips off Willy Wonka but removes all the aspects that gave it even Carroll-style logic, has blatant player manipulation to encourage more nonsensical traps, and the final boss is a random encounter.

what's baffling is that every review i can find on the internet besides yours is absolutely glowing

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I haven't read enough of Blood in the Chocolate to respond to all of that, but I am gonna note that Kiel Chenier wrote one loving hell of a cool acceptance speech for the award: https://dungeonsdonuts.tumblr.com/post/164328268714/ennies-victory-speech-my-message-to-aspiring-game

Seriously read it, you'll feel a lot better about gaming today. Dude has his head in the right place, at least.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Arivia posted:

I haven't read enough of Blood in the Chocolate to respond to all of that, but I am gonna note that Kiel Chenier wrote one loving hell of a cool acceptance speech for the award: https://dungeonsdonuts.tumblr.com/post/164328268714/ennies-victory-speech-my-message-to-aspiring-game

Seriously read it, you'll feel a lot better about gaming today. Dude has his head in the right place, at least.

quote:

RPL’s author Zak Sabbath wrote a similarly empowering post.

pass

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Sorry, I should have said heart. And I don't like Zak but that's still a good post.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Arivia posted:

Sorry, I should have said heart. And I don't like Zak but that's still a good post.

it's celebrating the fact that nobody gives a poo poo that he wrote a creepy fetish book. "there are no gatekeepers"

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Considering yet another trans creator has been driven off social media by S just this week that speech is actively offensive.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
if you believe in yourself, you can achieve your dreams, even if your dreams are of foisting your creepy paraphilia on dozens of RPG tables

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Considering yet another trans creator has been driven off social media by S just this week that speech is actively offensive.

Who? Also that's not a link to goddamn Zak.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cease to Hope posted:

what's baffling is that every review i can find on the internet besides yours is absolutely glowing

This also happens with Maze of the Blue Medusa, where no one ever seems to pick up on the thinly veiled allegories for groups of people that the author doesn't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

This also happens with Maze of the Blue Medusa, where no one ever seems to pick up on the thinly veiled allegories for groups of people that the author doesn't like.

that requires knowing about those grudges, most people don't

Arivia posted:

Who? Also that's not a link to goddamn Zak.

https://twitter.com/machineiv/status/897989795347021825

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 19, 2017

• Locked thread