Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
GT's awesome sophomore RB Dedrick Mills just got kicked out of school and uh, yea, GT is super hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Fuuuck. Our other veteran B-Back left after last season too because he was frustrated at splitting time with Mills.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

no stop it. stop giving GT no expectations. this is our year (it's never our year)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Crotch Bat posted:

GT's awesome sophomore RB Dedrick Mills just got kicked out of school and uh, yea, GT is super hosed.

this is the biggest bummer, dude was great.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This significantly increases the odds that a man named Quaide Weimerskirch will get significant playing time.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Why was Mills kicked out?

Also https://twitter.com/DanWolken/status/898615395971551232

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

3rd strike. He spent time on the bench last season and apparently before the season began he got in trouble as well.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
In the words of Noob Noob: “GodDAMN”

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

pillsburysoldier posted:

Why was Mills kicked out?

Unspecified violation of team rules. Third strike. Both of his previous strikes were rumored to be missing team meetings.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Sash! posted:

Last night, I was informed how much it was going to be just send out save the date cards and I literally made this face :stonk:

Wedding budgeting tip: take what you assume it costs then add a zero.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Randaconda posted:

You're not. We all saw how the Big 10 teams started losing as soon as they played good teams in the post-season instead of the soft Big 10 schedule.

Penn State lost on a field goal set up by a last minute interception. USC gave up 49 points. The only team that scored more on them was Alabama. Even Florida State only had 31. It's not like it was a lopsided mismatch.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sash! posted:

Penn State lost on a field goal set up by a last minute interception. USC gave up 49 points. The only team that scored more on them was Alabama. Even Florida State only had 31. It's not like it was a lopsided mismatch.

Sounds like the words of somebody whose team failed.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Stingtalk is melting down right now.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Pakled posted:

Oh no they will only have their engineering salaries to console them.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
When I see 'Stingtalk' all I can think of is :wcw:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Pakled posted:

That place is by leaps and bounds my favorite fanboard to read.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Crotch Bat posted:

That place is by leaps and bounds my favorite fanboard to read.

There are other boards that are actually worth reading and not just skimming to laugh at?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Hugh Freeze is so dumb, jesus all mighty.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Pakled posted:

Fuuuck. Our other veteran B-Back left after last season too because he was frustrated at splitting time with Mills.

You guys will now win your division btw

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

You guys will now win your division btw

This isn't like 2014 haha you don't know about Justin Thomas we'll win the ACC this is 2015 holy poo poo we have literally no experience whatsoever at TB we're going 3-9.

Mills was probably a future 3x 1st-team All-ACC RB, this is a huge loss for GT.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I thought this was a decent little read about Frank Broyles, who I didn't realize was such a visionary.

I mean he foresaw all the poo poo we don't like all that much about college football like how much money was in it for Arkansas to take off for the SEC, but he still saw it coming.

quote:

On June 17, 1990, the Arkansas Gazette’s Orville Henry, Broyles’s longtime confidant and the O.G. of sportswriting around these parts, wrote: “The SWC’s eight teams accrued a gross of $8 million in ancillary revenue; the SEC’s 10 teams amassed $18 million. There is a projection that an expanded SEC with Arkansas and one to three other teams would amass $40 million from TV sources already in place,” far outpacing the SWC’s TV package.

Interesting he was in on the money and realized how important conference affiliation would be to TV that quickly. There's also this:

quote:

Broyles took a calculated risk by jumping ship. “We had to move. We were going to get left out and the people told us we would be an independent if we hadn’t joined the SEC when we did,” he told Mattingly a few years ago. “When the Big 12 formed, we would have to be an independent and our program would go all the way to the bottom. Being in the Southeastern Conference kept us competitive in recruiting.”

but I'm not 100% sure he wasn't bullshitting or speaking in hindsight. It's one thing to realize Texas was gonna burn the SWC to the ground and another to realize Ann Richards was going to strongarm Baylor into the Big 12 before any of that went down. Arkansas was (and is) a much better get for a conference than Baylor.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Crotch Bat posted:

This isn't like 2014 haha you don't know about Justin Thomas we'll win the ACC this is 2015 holy poo poo we have literally no experience whatsoever at TB we're going 3-9.

Mills was probably a future 3x 1st-team All-ACC RB, this is a huge loss for GT.

Right. Which means a random 1* WR will become Jerry Rice and some 2* tank will bulldoze the division.

GT predicted to be garbage = division championship. It's science.

Also they'll beat Clemson.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
In more minor GT news today, Paul Johnson said he knew which QB he's going to start against Tennessee, but won't reveal it publicly yet. GT fans had been pretty confident our starter was going to be Matthew Jordan (who you may remember going into Blacksburg last year with no expectations and upsetting VT) but recent practice reports had cast some doubt on that, with CPJ saying none of the QBs consistently "stood out" in fall practice. It's still probably going to be Jordan but there are 3 other guys who could make a case to start and I'd be happy with any of them.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeeMajors posted:

Right. Which means a random 1* WR will become Jerry Rice and some 2* tank will bulldoze the division.

GT predicted to be garbage = division championship. It's science.

Also they'll beat Clemson.

The ACC Wheel of Chaos must spin.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Hugh Freeze is a weeb

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/Coach_Riley/status/898671925182042113

https://twitter.com/Coach_Riley/status/898911635548635137

Mike Riley, if nothing else, is a good dude

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Big 10 football coach does most un-Big 10 thing possible.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Remember when UGA fans got mad about buying Ludacris condoms

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Real Name Grover posted:

Mike Riley, if nothing else, is a good dude

What was so great about Steve Spurrier is that you never, ever had to say something like that.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Yall...

There's college football next weekend.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It doesn't really start until FSU/Alabama.

:ohdear:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Joey Freshwater posted:

lol you guys legit think there's a worse stadium than Tropicana?

lol just lol

Qualcomm Stadium is so bad that the NFL team moved to another city, one of the two bowl games it hosted completely disbanded, and the other moved to a baseball stadium

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

a neat cape posted:

Qualcomm Stadium is so bad that the NFL team moved to another city, one of the two bowl games it hosted completely disbanded, and the other moved to a baseball stadium

And he didn't take the money to renovate it why? The Packers proved you can completely update an old stadium to modern standards.

Though the Bears proved you can ruin one too.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Scarf posted:

Yall...

poo poo, I'm going to a wedding next weekend

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The chargers are gonna play in a stadium that'd be the 4th smallest in the Sun Belt and it's still an upgrade

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

iospace posted:

And he didn't take the money to renovate it why? The Packers proved you can completely update an old stadium to modern standards.

Though the Bears proved you can ruin one too.

Qualcomm is beyond renovation.

Also Spanos was gonna move the team no matter what. He'd rather turn down 300 million in free NFL money and pay a 650m relocation fee than stay in San Diego in that poo poo heap for one more year

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Isn't Legion supposed to be a huge smoldering piece of poo poo for a stadium?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Scarf posted:

Yall...

Life is good

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Joey Freshwater posted:

lol you guys legit think there's a worse stadium than Tropicana?

lol just lol

At least the Trop doesnt have routinely overflowing sewage lines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Time posted:

The best coach you ever had went .500, congrats

Schiano inherited a rebuilding job. His normal season was 8 wins and he wasn't a particularly good coach. That's the norm for a mediocre coach at Rutgers. Frank Burns in the 70s was actually considered a far better coach, he was very competitive when Rutgers did play teams like Tennessee and Alabama in his day.

MourningView posted:

Afterwhich they were mostly really bad. Their records fell off a cliff once they stopped almost exclusively playing schools that are now in the Patriot or Ivy League until Schiano gets there.

Not true.

Randaconda posted:

lol at claiming Rutgers is anything but a historical bottom dweller.

Again, spend five seconds on Google.

• Locked thread