Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cael posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUCtYAsqWQY

It's been too long. September 6 can't come soon enough.

Speaking of things coming back, The Last Ship is back this Sunday y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
All I know about The Last Ship is that my grandmother watches it religiously.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GreenNight posted:

Fraggle Rock is probably the only show I would have a hard time watching a continuation of.

As of like a year ago, a movie was in active development.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

IRQ posted:

Speaking of things coming back, The Last Ship is back this Sunday y'all.
I liked the first season but only watched a few eps of s2 before it got kinda crappy. Is it worth catching up on?

Uppa
Nov 23, 2002

Cael posted:

I'm kind of worried You're the Worst has run out of steam, but I'm still super excited to see it return.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Uppa posted:

I'm kind of worried You're the Worst has run out of steam, but I'm still super excited to see it return.

It depends on what the focus is. The problem with it going four seasons is that the concept of two people hooking up and not actually caring about each other but secretly growing to care can only go so far. They've done and pretty good job of twisting tropes so far so it'll be interesting to see how they approach the finale.

I still think it's one of the most underrated shows out there. Aya Cash's portrayal of depression in season 2 was amazingly disturbing, and Edgar (can't remember actors name :( ) PTSD is remarkably well done.

I'm just worried they'll focus too much on Lindsey this season.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Cael posted:

Oh gently caress, you just reminded me this show exists and there's more episodes coming and that is amazing, thank you

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dancer posted:

My experience with Jefferies, admittedly a long time ago, is that "pointing out how ridiculous something is" means moaning about Political Correctness and how "feminists aren't actually about equality, I'm better at equality because I treat people the same without caring about their genitals" and poo poo like that, interspersed with liberal use of rape jokes and misogynist language. I do remember liking some of his jokes and those of his simple analogies that weren't massively lovely. Has he... gotten better?
He's gotten better at not making these comparisons, but that's because he's taken the hack's way out in today's comedy by making his material have more of a political bent. I heard his Comedy Central show is good, but that was after I decided to not to watch it when I realized it would just be yet another show where a comedian talks about the news.

I wish they gave him a third season of Legit instead. That was a funny show. It's a shame that nobody had FXX when it was relegated to there because it became so much more than just a show about the misadventures of an Aussie, a lonely divorced man, and his wheelchair-bound brother.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I liked Legit, especially season 2, but have found all of Jeffries' standup and such to be smug, condescending bullshit that's specifically tailored for the left to fuckin eat up. Like I agree with almost everything he says these days but I hate the way he says it.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I liked the first season but only watched a few eps of s2 before it got kinda crappy. Is it worth catching up on?

I thought S1 was mediocre but just entertaining enough to keep watching, but S2 it turned into an actually decent action show and it stays at that level

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Trip report: tried to watch New DuckTales and couldn't make it past the new version of the theme song.

Oh well!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I actually really like what they're doing with the Trump jokes. They're mostly asides about an exaggerated Trump world that the self centered characters move on from immediately, because they don't really care beyond how it affects they're day.

Yeah, I think it's really clever and just "there" enough to be funny. The first several times it got some real "water spitting" laughs from me.

Season 3 is really really good so far, god bless Billy and Julie.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Dancer posted:

My experience with Jefferies, admittedly a long time ago, is that "pointing out how ridiculous something is" means moaning about Political Correctness and how "feminists aren't actually about equality, I'm better at equality because I treat people the same without caring about their genitals" and poo poo like that, interspersed with liberal use of rape jokes and misogynist language. I do remember liking some of his jokes and those of his simple analogies that weren't massively lovely. Has he... gotten better?

I think, in the interest of a successful mainstream career he has eased up on the rape jokes and sexist stuff. Give a couple of episodes of his new show a go if you're a fan of Last Week Tonight etc. or maybe even check out his latest Netflix stand up special for a taste of what he's like now.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Agreeing on Hard Target being the best Van Damme movie by far. It's perfect in every way. Van Damme is a drifter named Chance Boudreaux with a greasy mullet and a bad Cajun accent, Wilford "Diabeetus" Brimley plays his drunken Cajun uncle who shoots flaming arrows on horseback, and the plot is The Most Dangerous Game set in New Orleans and the surrounding bayou country, with Lance Henricksen and Arnold Vosloo (Imhotep in the GOOD Mummy movie and Zartan in G.I. Joe) as the bad guys. Plus, it's John Woo John Woo-ing it up -- two guns, white doves, the usual.

Hell yeah.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Has there been a Comedy Central show that's debuted this year that hasn't relied on political or woke humor? The only ones I can think of are Detroiters and Jeff & Some Aliens (which is derived from FXX's attempt at Adult Swim). It feels like they're riding that style of show in the same way they did with edgy ones in the mid-2000s, and much like that era, the channel isn't worth watching as much as it once was.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

lol at everyone who said Trevor Noah's daily show would slot right in.

I haven't watched TDS in ages. John Oliver and Colbert are the only ones now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hasan Minaj is too enthusiastic as a correspondent. Aren't you supposed to pretend to be a real news guy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Trevor Noah seems a nice enough guy but TDS just seems so bad these days, and he is not the right fit as host. He hasn't settled into it still somehow, so it's just never going to work.

Has Hood Adjacent been cancelled yet, because that was embarrassingly bad. Same problem in that the guy seems a good person you want to succeed but ugh, no. Unless it got seriously loving better.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You guys are nuts, the Daily Show is the best it's been in years.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bull3964 posted:

You guys are nuts, the Daily Show is the best it's been in years.
Even though it lost like its entire cast?

I haven't watched TDS in at least a year and I don't miss it one bit.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I never watched Iron Fist but I've started Defenders and man this dude sucks

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

I never watched Iron Fist but I've started Defenders and man this dude sucks

That almost seems to a be a meta joke in the show. They all treat him like he's a goofy idiot who doesn't understand the situation.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Iron Fist was great, Defenders was great, Danny Rand is world class eediat.

Spoiler alert.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'm re watching True Detective again because I love it so much for a myriad of reasons including the oozing setting and very clever characterization. When i inevitably start s2 to try keep the party going I'm wondering how long until I admit the magic just isn't there.
Anybody got any feelings on true detective?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Defenders: Liked Jessica clowning on the other characters, didn't like the story.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

The Daily Show was at its best during the Bush years, Stewart may have still been hosting it but it was already on the way out because of media and politics changing. I don't think you can really blame Trevor Noah so much as the fact that being snarky and sarcastic about the day's news is something you can get the moment news breaks online now.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver is a way better fit for the modern political climate anyways, say what you will about how asinine the whole Drumpf thing and the attitudes it embodied were in retrospect but a sincere and in-depth investigation and explanation of an issue once a week is way more valuable than yet another person going "Trump say bad thing, pee pee doo doo he is a bad president" and making wacky faces in reaction to news clips and padding out the show with celebrity guest interviews.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I’ve only watched Jessica Jones the whole way though so I was a little lost at the beginning of Defenders. I’m not surprised that the creators assumed that viewers have watched all of the previous shows, but I wouldn’t have minded a recap video like they run before some of their shows.

Also Iron Fist is the worst and I’m glad I don’t even bother trying watching his show.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

I'm re watching True Detective again because I love it so much for a myriad of reasons including the oozing setting and very clever characterization. When i inevitably start s2 to try keep the party going I'm wondering how long until I admit the magic just isn't there.
Anybody got any feelings on true detective?

Film noir and hard-boiled detective fiction is my favorite genre, so True Detective was made for someone like me. Season 1 is flawless from beginning to end, even if Pizzolatto did plagiarize that perfect monologue at the very end from Alan Moore's comic Top 10. I loved the hinting at some kind of "weird" (in the Lovecraftian sense), supernatural goings-on, even though they ultimately didn't go in that direction. And it got me to discover the short fiction of Thomas Ligotti, who makes Stephen King seem like a children's book writer by comparison.

I liked Season 2 more than most people did, because I'll eat up anything with flawed cops and conflicted criminals and conspiracies and doomed protagonists trying their best to make a difference (and usually failing). But the pacing was off, it dragged a lot, it focused on weird things (like the greatness of Stan), the reveals were too predictable, and the ending was too bleak for general audiences who haven't read everything by James Ellroy.

I still argue that it would have been better-received as a post-WWII period piece. Not only is that a gorgeous era in terms of fashion, cars, and other aesthetics, but it would have made more sense to have the female cop dealing with such blatant, vehement sexism, the veteran cop dealing with internalized homophobia and self-loathing, and the gangster who talked like a gangster from '40s and '50s pulp novels and film noir.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean, I loved TD season 1, but the sheer existence of episode 7 means it was far from flawless.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Which episode was 7 again?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The one where old dudes Harrelson and McConaughey did very little for an hour

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Must be why I don't remember it very well :v:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wandle Cax posted:

I thought S1 was mediocre but just entertaining enough to keep watching, but S2 it turned into an actually decent action show and it stays at that level

The Last Ship is a show you have to kind of appreciate just how ridiculous it is on its face to get to how well executed it is in realizing its dumb ideas. If you can't get on board with something channeling Star Trek, 24, and I don't know, Jericho? then it's not going to click.

Josh Lyman posted:

I think Trevor's Daily Show is quite good. He's not as good as Colbert (post-election after he located his spine) or Sam Bee, no, but I keep watching it and enjoying it. Last Week Tonight is kind of a different beast and has gotten very stale since it started.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 19, 2017

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Trevor is terrible. He either has nothing of worth to say about...much of anything going on in America, or is completely unwilling to because's he's making $$$$.

Bee is a hypocritical piece of poo poo and I'm unsure how anyone takes her seriously at this point

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember thinking that John Oliver's EU referendum video was the sort of thing that probably would've swung it even further to Leave if it had been widely seen in Britain.

Does he still feel bad about begging Trump to run on his show?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oh Snapple! posted:

Bee is a hypocritical piece of poo poo and I'm unsure how anyone takes her seriously at this point

Other than her being an idiot about Bernie I'm not sure what there is to be mad at her over?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

IRQ posted:

Other than her being an idiot about Bernie I'm not sure what there is to be mad at her over?

I mean she and her husband literally fought integration at her kid's school lol

Also poo poo like palling around with Glenn Beck and JEB!.

She's among the pinnacle of Rich White Feminism.

edit: also forgot some ghoulish opportunism

https://twitter.com/FullFrontalSamB/status/897203801614057474

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 19, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Oh Snapple! posted:

I mean she and her husband literally fought integration at her kid's school lol

Also poo poo like palling around with Glenn Beck and JEB!.

She's among the pinnacle of Rich White Feminism.

You know someone is dropping the hottest of takes when for the first time in almost a year of posting in a thread they stop using punctuation and start using "lol" and The Jeb Meme to show how totally not mad they are.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

You know someone is dropping the hottest of takes when for the first time in almost a year of posting in a thread they stop using punctuation and start using "lol" and The Jeb Meme to show how totally not mad they are.

The gently caress is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Hasan Minaj is too enthusiastic as a correspondent. Aren't you supposed to pretend to be a real news guy.
Hasan strikes me as someone who thinks he much funnier than he actually is. You can see this especially during the White House Correspondents' Dinner.

Definitely been sniffing his own farts.

• Locked thread