Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the real punchline is that CA root gatekeeping has been terrible since Netscape and Microsoft created the industry, and there's no way to fix it

we have EV at all because Microsoft had CA contracts that didn't let them revoke DV authority for anything short of winning a lawsuit, plus monopoly fear at that point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wait are you proposing rolling background checks for every new employee of a CA (like Verisign, Deutsche Telekom, or the government of Belgium) that are then published somewhere? plus a public registry of (unrolled) private company ownership?

that is a bold suggestion, if so

E: no, awful, don't edit when I say compose

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 19, 2017

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

mdl posted:

surely the browser/ca forum is capable of vetting CAs, which, i would like to point out, account for far fewer heads total than a single CA has customers.
CAs are companies, not people, and vetting a CA customer gives them a very limited amount of power that can be revoked gracefully if abused (and generally they can't make certs for others)

you'd get more information if you didn't edit in your replies

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the cabforum can't audit poo poo, they have exactly zero staff and even web trust trivialities are a lot of hours

mdl
Jul 14, 2001

muhaha i did steal head server of Internet. If push "power" button the hole net will be shutdown. i hate all you Quake Playas!! !! !! uu!! And If i push r

Subjunctive posted:

the real punchline is that CA root gatekeeping has been terrible since Netscape and Microsoft created the industry, and there's no way to fix it

we have EV at all because Microsoft had CA contracts that didn't let them revoke DV authority for anything short of winning a lawsuit, plus monopoly fear at that point

commercial pilots who crash a plane aren't generally given second chances. startcom/wosign flew their plane into the WTC of trust models. is the bar so low that nobody from CAB is even blinking at the notion that a closely affiliated company (and i am being generous) is allowed to simply "reapply"?

Subjunctive posted:

I've received a background check. the companies I've worked with explicitly don't maintain the database you're describing, and I've never had one that tried to find omissions in a presented employment history. they're also fine with "contractor/consultant" and don't demand a list of clients

i don't know what to say. if the bar is this low and the people responsible for vetting CAs don't care, then the trust model for browsers is a total failure

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

mdl posted:

commercial pilots who crash a plane aren't generally given second chances. startcom/wosign flew their plane into the WTC of trust models. is the bar so low that nobody from CAB is even blinking at the notion that a closely affiliated company (and i am being generous) is allowed to simply "reapply"?

i don't know what to say. if the bar is this low and the people responsible for vetting CAs don't care, then the trust model for browsers is a total failure
you don't seem to grasp that no one is giving them a second chance. leaving them to complain into the void on a bug tracker and postpone any of their lawyers bullshit by giving empty platitudes is a sound strategy

if you have complaints about the trust model for CAs then go back to 2002 where there's people defending it

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

anthonypants posted:

there used to be a site at ismytwitterpasswordsecure.com and when you typed into the password field the screen turned red and called you a stupid idiot (but with nicer words)
that one annoyed me because it triggered the password message when you typed a username

mdl posted:

the trust model for browsers is a total failure
kinda yeah

mdl
Jul 14, 2001

muhaha i did steal head server of Internet. If push "power" button the hole net will be shutdown. i hate all you Quake Playas!! !! !! uu!! And If i push r

Subjunctive posted:

wait are you proposing rolling background checks for every new employee of a CA (like Verisign, Deutsche Telekom, or the government of Belgium) that are then published somewhere? plus a public registry of (unrolled) private company ownership?

that is a bold suggestion, if so

E: no, awful, don't edit when I say compose

the majority of verisign, dt, or belgian government employees have no relation or access to anything concerning the fact that they can act as trusted CAs.

i'm not making any specific argument for how to improve things, other than to point out that the policies as they stand are so weak that nothing is being offered that is not already being offered by let's encrypt/DV.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

you don't seem to grasp that no one is giving them a second chance. leaving them to complain into the void on a bug tracker and postpone any of their lawyers bullshit by giving empty platitudes is a sound strategy

and now they're following up on it, and people should be aware of this. why would you even give them platitudes? the policy for a company that has already been revoked should be to go pound sand

quote:

if you have complaints about the trust model for CAs then go back to 2002 where there's people defending it

yeah man, we should never discuss anything again, because all the smart guys know that it's broken. and here we are 15 years later, where nothing has improved

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

mdl posted:

how is ur reading comprehension this bad?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

mdl posted:

the majority of verisign, dt, or belgian government employees have no relation or access to anything concerning the fact that they can act as trusted CAs.

i'm not making any specific argument for how to improve things, other than to point out that the policies as they stand are so weak that nothing is being offered that is not already being offered by let's encrypt/DV.

and now they're following up on it, and people should be aware of this. why would you even give them platitudes? the policy for a company that has already been revoked should be to go pound sand

yeah man, we should never discuss anything again, because all the smart guys know that it's broken. and here we are 15 years later, where nothing has improved
do you have anything new to bring to the discussion, or do you want to just go through the same argument everyone from this thread has heard a thousand times over?

mdl
Jul 14, 2001

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

do you have anything new to bring to the discussion, or do you want to just go through the same argument everyone from this thread has heard a thousand times over?

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i'm glad them changing management again erasing all past attempts to hide changes in management

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lol

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

so that's a no then

mdl
Jul 14, 2001

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

so that's a no then

let it be known that Wiggly Wayne DDS, authority of good posting, has deemed a massive potential security risk for anyone using a mozilla product or a piece of software that depends on ca-certificates unworthy of discussion in the security thread

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

mdl posted:

let it be known that Wiggly Wayne DDS, authority of good posting, has deemed a massive potential security risk for anyone using a mozilla product or a piece of software that depends on ca-certificates unworthy of discussion in the security thread

how do you not understand that "you're welcome to reapply" is code for "gently caress off and ask me in a way where I can say no without wasting my time"? mozilla isn't doing anything and you're chicken littleing over nothing. subjunctive literally said that but you're too busy hyperventilating to read sentences correctly.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

unfortunately i don't think that'd fit in the thread title

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

how do you not understand that "you're welcome to reapply" is code for "gently caress off and ask me in a way where I can say no without wasting my time"? mozilla isn't doing anything and you're chicken littleing over nothing. subjunctive literally said that but you're too busy hyperventilating to read sentences correctly.

:yeah:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

unfortunately i don't think that'd fit in the thread title

cis autodrag posted:

Security Fuckup Megathread - v14.1 - you're too busy hyperventilating to read sentences correctly

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mdl posted:

:lol::lol::lol:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

lol if u don't use chrome anyways

mdl
Jul 14, 2001

cis autodrag posted:

yes. if they do nothing, there's no problem.

subjunctive mentioned that 1990s-era microsoft monopoly concerns affected the language of the CAB policies. that's an interesting historical point, but if they currently require browser vendors to tiptoe around bad actors applying for re-inclusion, they should probably be amended

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

lol if u don't use chrome anyways

firefox for life

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

mdl posted:

yes. if they do nothing, there's no problem.

subjunctive mentioned that 1990s-era microsoft monopoly concerns affected the language of the CAB policies. that's an interesting historical point, but if they currently require browser vendors to tiptoe around bad actors applying for re-inclusion, they should probably be amended

The CAB forum is just a mailing list for the browsers and CAs to communicate. There isn't anything required by the CAB forum from browsers. The browsers all maintain their root stores at their own discretion with their own policies. The CAB forum doesn't even really require anything from CAs. They publish documents just so that the browsers can have something to point at and say "Hey, why aren't you doing this thing that we all talked about?"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

that's pretty much how the internet works anyway wrt decision making in th IETF and RIRs and such

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

eversion posted:

you should have added more entropy to the passwords rather than the usernames

we had users being brute forced using poo poo from their twitter timelines. i am not even joking.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

we had users being brute forced using poo poo from their twitter timelines. i am not even joking.
why are they posting their password to their twitter

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

anthonypants posted:

why are they posting their password to their twitter

guess what. our users are normies. theyre gonna have their interests in their passwords and theres nothing you can do to stop it.

shoutout to fuckmanchester@123

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

shoutout to fuckmanchester@123

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

reason this exists: users putting a symbol on their 108-key computer keyboard in their password and then being unable to find it on their cell phone

workaround: just use a 33 character password without symbols, it's good enough :shrug: you're already well into won't be brute forced until the machine uprising territory anyway, what does it matter if an arbitrary requirement stops you from adding a few more orders of magnittude

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

fisting by many posted:

reason this exists: users putting a symbol on their 108-key computer keyboard in their password and then being unable to find it on their cell phone

workaround: just use a 33 character password without symbols, it's good enough :shrug: you're already well into won't be brute forced until the machine uprising territory anyway, what does it matter if an arbitrary requirement stops you from adding a few more orders of magnittude

didn't the xkcd guy espouse this theory?

ah well, the first line of defense in computer security is denying physical access anyway

e: because why did my phone autocorrect "security" into "theory" :iiam:

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 20, 2017

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
If your account can get owned by someone calling customer service and asking really nicely, even though there's a note on your account that says "IDENTITY THEFT DO NOT ALLOW CHANGES OVER PHONE" , the password complexity really doesn't matter.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Volmarias posted:

If your account can get owned by someone calling customer service and asking really nicely, even though there's a note on your account that says "IDENTITY THEFT DO NOT ALLOW CHANGES OVER PHONE" , the password complexity really doesn't matter.

well you see it's just really inconvenient to not help the customer who's calling on the phone right then and there, and they may hang up the phone unsatisfied, so youre better off just changing some personal details including the email address and password and everybody's happy

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Volmarias posted:

You can set up a verbal password on your cell provider so any changes require that password (or going into a store and presenting a physical ID).

I have this set up on all my bank accounts too.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

You can set up a verbal password on your cell provider so any changes require that password (or going into a store and presenting a physical ID).

I have this set up on all my bank accounts too.

100% of the times I've encountered this in person or on the phone I've been able to convince the dipshit to bypass it with a combination of whining, yelling, and saccharine begging. until customer security is more important than customer retention (never), this will always just be more security theatre.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

syscall girl posted:

didn't the xkcd guy espouse this theory?

it works if the words are actually independently chosen. "our house is a very very very fine house" does not count

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
correct battery horse staple

oh no! my brainwallet! how did they figure out my unhackable password?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

teamdest posted:

100% of the times I've encountered this in person or on the phone I've been able to convince the dipshit to bypass it with a combination of whining, yelling, and saccharine begging. until customer security is more important than customer retention (never), this will always just be more security theatre.

"Look man the CEO is gonna be here in five minutes and I need to get these files for my report downloaded or my rear end is fried. I already gave you the right username and my first and last name match the account info do me a solid here and reset this; it's not my fault your site locked me out after I put in my password with a single typo..."

rjmccall posted:

it works if the words are actually independently chosen. "our house is a very very very fine house" does not count

Can't wait to have a password manager implanted in a chip in my arm that I unlock with a specific set of hand gestures along with a voice password and then find some way to get it to autotype using my nerve endings, let's get this techno future going already.

Make the wrong gesture or give the wrong voice password and the chip fries itself. :black101:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Mo_Steel posted:

Can't wait to have a password manager implanted in a chip in my arm

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

teamdest posted:

that's fine tbh... the big thing is i have it in place and if they give away my $ without it they're 100% liable and possibly getting slapped by the ftc for deceptive practices.

(esp. important for retirement accts)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

maskenfreiheit posted:

that's fine tbh... the big thing is i have it in place and if they give away my $ without it they're 100% liable and possibly getting slapped by the ftc for deceptive practices.

(esp. important for retirement accts)

Can you point to some past FTC enforcement actions against companies who customer service reps allow account changes without suffient authorization?

• Locked thread