Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

goose willis posted:

Can I feel no pain a plasma self-death?

If I have multiple feel no pain abilities with different names, can I use them all or can I only use one?

Yes, all of them.

Going to be giving my terminator librarian a try again this weekend, for the konor psyker thing. Any opinions on powers to use? Thinking I'll take might of heroes to use on my contemptor, then either null zone or veil of time. The 3 new ones don't seem that interesting to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
It's worth noting that if you're firing a dreadnought plasma cannon or something where it specifies that you only take x mortal wounds when you roll a 1 then you may use any and all FNP abilities that you have.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Pendent posted:

It's worth noting that if you're firing a dreadnought plasma cannon or something where it specifies that you only take x mortal wounds when you roll a 1 then you may use any and all FNP abilities that you have.

Yeah that's right, I forgot most plasma was slain and not mortal wounds. For plasma that kills the model you don't get FNP.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

goose willis posted:

Yes but I thought that just meant no wound or save rolls

Just read the rule. It doesn't mention wounds or saves, rules as written you pick the model up and remove it from the table. No dice rolls necessary.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

One_Wing posted:

Useful data, thank you. I have a second, properly old-school wraithlord model without the blade that I could stick a bright lance to, so would you suggest losing the blade and changing the shuricannon to a lance (as that's a doable points wise).

I do have the wraithguard as additional anti-tank mind - they should utterly murder any vehicle they get to fire on with S10 d6 damage guns.

Also, can a 1000 point army seriously tag an average of five krak missile wounds on t1 (assuming d6 damage that's how many it takes to down a serpent on average thanks to the shield)?

Heh, I can get five missile launcher shots from one Devastator Squad for less than 200 points. That riding in a Twin Lascannon Razorback is less than 300.

I would indeed get the extra AT firepower on your 'Lord, though 'Guard in a Serpent works too.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 19, 2017

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I haven't played 40k since 6th edition but the new rules and my newfound disposable income are bringing me back. I'm slowly working on the Black Templars army I've always wanted to do now that I have the money to do it right, with tabards, chains, skulls and other grimdark poo poo everywhere.

I'm not all that up on how 8th edition plays, from what I see it's better to have small squads due to the way morale works now but is there a place for large Crusader squads, either of the shooty or choppy variety? Either way, what does a Space Marine list look like these days anyway? I've played Guard since 3d edition and I've never really put too much thought into how to build a Space Marine list.

I don't really care about winning tournaments or anything, I've just trying to not get constantly and completely thrashed like a 3.5E Guard army playing on a 4x4 table against a Siren prince daemon bomb army.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Cross posting from 30k thread

Lord Twisted posted:

gently caress your fliers (although I'm using this in Centurion, shhhh)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Soviet Commubot posted:

I haven't played 40k since 6th edition but the new rules and my newfound disposable income are bringing me back. I'm slowly working on the Black Templars army I've always wanted to do now that I have the money to do it right, with tabards, chains, skulls and other grimdark poo poo everywhere.

I'm not all that up on how 8th edition plays, from what I see it's better to have small squads due to the way morale works now but is there a place for large Crusader squads, either of the shooty or choppy variety? Either way, what does a Space Marine list look like these days anyway? I've played Guard since 3d edition and I've never really put too much thought into how to build a Space Marine list.

I don't really care about winning tournaments or anything, I've just trying to not get constantly and completely thrashed like a 3.5E Guard army playing on a 4x4 table against a Siren prince daemon bomb army.

Ten man squads in Rhinos can work. Twenty man squads on foot will suffer. Marines on foot just don't have the durability for that in today's AP Reduces Your Save world. You need speed to get across the board or you need Necron/Nurgle durability.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I made some fisty boys.

I planned to get into CF back in... 4th edition? Bought Pedro Kantor but never painted him. Turns out its a good excuse to go primaris-heavy.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
Does anyone have a comparison or can tell me what the height/size difference between 30K plastics and the chaos marine box is

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I made some fisty boys.

I planned to get into CF back in... 4th edition? Bought Pedro Kantor but never painted him. Turns out its a good excuse to go primaris-heavy.

Those are fantastic looking. I really wanted to go fists again this edition. I decided to embrace the stupid hams and make a blood ravens force. Plus side is that I can try playing different relics and chapter tactics because magpies.

Got my shapeways shoulderpad emblems delivered today and they're going on my First Strike Intercessors really well. I'm looking forward to finishing up painting my 1ksons and them moving on to Blüüd Rähvëns :rock:

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"

koreban posted:

Got my shapeways shoulderpad emblems delivered today and they're going on my First Strike Intercessors really well. I'm looking forward to finishing up painting my 1ksons and them moving on to Blüüd Rähvëns :rock:

Sup Blood Ravens buddy.

Mine arrived a couple days ago and have been turning out great. Only used them with Intercessors and Reivers so far, but they look great.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I played my first Konor game today.

I guess this week's mission was this deal where the attacking side would be able to roll to bring models back on the board, as well as providing a deepstrike strategem.

I of course rolled the defender and was playing against Necrons. This match was by far the most un-fun slog I've had in 8th edition.

Highlights include my opponent deepstriking a 20 man squad of warriors into my Sicaran first turn, rolling particularly high on the range and then using his consolidate move get in front of my sponsons. I used a squad of Reivers to try to break it out but they weren't able to put enough pressure out so the warriors just kept coming back. I estimate the Reivers had killed close to 30 models by the end of the match without breaking the Sicaran out. In the end my 300 point centerpiece tank was unable to fire a single shot.

My offensive squad of Sanguinary Guard deepstuck into perfect position to assasinate an enemy character, but he counterdeployed a squad of Death Marks who proceeded to block my plasma pistol fire and kill two guard with mortal wounds before I even got to shoot. I killed the Death Marks on the charge but didn't have the range to consolidate into another combat. My opponent rolled for the death marks to come back the next turn and they promptly murdered another 2 of my guard with more mortal wounds.

I conceded at the end of turn five. He had virtually his entire army still on the table due to the mission rule combined with Reanimation Protocol while I had a handful of Reivers, Tycho, some Intercessors and my basically full HP Sicaran.

I'm told the other missions for Konor have been similarly un-fun.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"
Pictures of said Blood Ravens!

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Loving that Thunderbolt Ross looking sergeant.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

I'm told the other missions for Konor have been similarly un-fun.

How would you like a mission where you deploy across the short edges, the defenders (imperium) get VPs for killing things and bonus VPs for killing with a vehicle, and the attackers get VPs for killing or getting things off the board, with bonus VP if they get a vehicle off the board? I played a couple games of it with my blood angels and trivially won all but 1. The one game I lost the guy ran 3x devilfish, each with 2 squads inside, and 4 hammerheads. Since they have fly I couldn't block them or anything and he got too many off the board for me to ever come back from by turn 3. The other games I won because dreadnoughts are vehicles and for all the people just starting with 8th they mostly don't have any vehicles or antitank, so they could neither quickly cross the board or kill dreads.

While I think the campaign is somewhat interesting, I think the missions they're coming up with have been fairly bad, especially if they want to use the campaign to hook the people who bought dark imperium. This week's mission isn't as bad in comparison as last I don't think, but next week will probably have special rules/strategems for flyers and fast attack, and the week after that for lords of war/terrain, so they're probably going to end up terrible.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

overthefalls posted:

Pictures of said Blood Ravens!

:hellyeah:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I made some fisty boys.

I am greatly enjoying the upswing in Fists players recently. Nice work dude.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Are sisters or at least their models still legitimate units in the game currently?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

numerrik posted:

Are sisters or at least their models still legitimate units in the game currently?

They are indeed.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Games Workshop posted:

Sniper rifles are perfect for taking out high toughness creatures that your lasgun armed troops would struggle with. Up to 3 models in a Special Weapon Support Squad may upgrade their lasgun to a sniper rifle. Certain Doctrines from the Codex also allow infantry models to replace their weapon with a sniper rifle.

:thunk:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm willing to bet this description is leftover from like 4th edition.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Safety Factor posted:

I'm willing to bet this description is leftover from like 4th edition.

Has there ever been a range GW has lost interest in harder than Vostroyans? I played all through 3rd, missed 4th, came back in 5th and they'd been released and forgotten about in that time.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Corrode posted:

Has there ever been a range GW has lost interest in harder than Vostroyans? I played all through 3rd, missed 4th, came back in 5th and they'd been released and forgotten about in that time.

Sisters.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Most of the unique Imperial Guard regiments seem like a big missed opportunity. It's understandable why they went with Cadians and Catachans for the plastics, since they're the simplest to create moulds for, I imagine, but they easily the most boring regiments.

I love my Vostroyans, but they're heavy and chip easily due to being metal. I'd love some new plastics, but it ain't gonna happen.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Corrode posted:

Rogue Trader->2nd Edition?

I don't have my old 2nd Edition rulebooks any more, just my trusty RT book so not entirely sure they made it into 2nd fully. Also £2.50 for a blister pack of 3 bendy lead models, those were the days.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Sisters win "most neglected" for sure, but they've at least attempted to bump some life into them - they got the Witch Hunters book in 3rd, the WD army list, so on.

Actually as a side note, what's the deal with Sisters anyway? I've never actually known how they ended up having a more or less complete range in 2nd, then ended up languishing on for 20 years not being squatted but also never really getting much support. Were they someone's passion project who left the team?

richyp posted:

Rogue Trader->2nd Edition?

I don't have my old 2nd Edition rulebooks any more, just my trusty RT book so not entirely sure they made it into 2nd fully. Also £2.50 for a blister pack of 3 bendy lead models, those were the days.

Squats got a list in 2nd ed I think, but it didn't last. On the other hand, they did go out of their way to kill them off and stopped fully selling them. I was thinking specifically of "released a thing, then never bothered with it again." The other metal IG regiments are probably closest - Steel Legion were much the same.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Corrode posted:

"released a thing, then never bothered with it again."

Does "Finecast quality control" count?

:downsrim:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Corrode posted:

Sisters win "most neglected" for sure, but they've at least attempted to bump some life into them - they got the Witch Hunters book in 3rd, the WD army list, so on.

Actually as a side note, what's the deal with Sisters anyway? I've never actually known how they ended up having a more or less complete range in 2nd, then ended up languishing on for 20 years not being squatted but also never really getting much support. Were they someone's passion project who left the team?

I don't have sales numbers to back it up but I feel like Sisters are probably popular in theory but not many people would actually put money down on them. Every once in a while they try and inject life into them, nobody really bites and they go back to ignoring them.

Obviously, people usually don't bite because they get one look at how much a single 10 woman squad of basic troops costs and close the window but I'm still not sure if they went plastic all that many people would honestly play them.

I would :(

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

richyp posted:

Does "Finecast quality control" count?

:downsrim:

n/a, that never started.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I don't have sales numbers to back it up but I feel like Sisters are probably popular in theory but not many people would actually put money down on them. Every once in a while they try and inject life into them, nobody really bites and they go back to ignoring them.

Obviously, people usually don't bite because they get one look at how much a single 10 woman squad of basic troops costs and close the window but I'm still not sure if they went plastic all that many people would honestly play them.

I would :(

Yeah I suspect it's the same vicious cycle that Bretonnia fell into in WFB - low sales and risky to put more effort into in order to try and bump those numbers in case they don't end up justifying the input. It has worked in the past (Dark Eldar) but equally they've gambled a couple of times and had it not pay off (Tomb Kings).

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Corrode posted:

n/a, that never started.

Yeah I suspect it's the same vicious cycle that Bretonnia fell into in WFB - low sales and risky to put more effort into in order to try and bump those numbers in case they don't end up justifying the input. It has worked in the past (Dark Eldar) but equally they've gambled a couple of times and had it not pay off (Tomb Kings).

The Tomb King book was easily the worst in 8th edition though and Bretonnians had nothing since 6th edition. A better example would be the Wood Elves, who languished for a long time and constantly had people saying they weren't worth the effort until they got a good book with good models and started selling like mad.

Then they shitcanned the game.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Agentdark posted:

Does anyone have a comparison or can tell me what the height/size difference between 30K plastics and the chaos marine box is

I just wrapped up replacing a bunch of my pointy CSM legs with mkIII/mkIV legs, because the old legs are easily the worst part of the CSM range and I hate painting them. The slightly more realistic poses in the 30k plastics go a long way to making the rest of the CSM parts look great.

Sorry about the godawful focusing, but you get the gist.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?

BirdieBedtime posted:

I just wrapped up replacing a bunch of my pointy CSM legs with mkIII/mkIV legs, because the old legs are easily the worst part of the CSM range and I hate painting them. The slightly more realistic poses in the 30k plastics go a long way to making the rest of the CSM parts look great.

That's actually not too bad! I've been thinking about branching into Alpha Legion after my Necrons are finished, but the god-awful CSM kits are giving me pause. If they don't get a resculpt at some point, I may steal your idea.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Merton Blask posted:

Alpha Legion

Honestly, with the XXth you can 100% get away with just using regular Space Marine kits, 30k or modern. Many of the cells operate in realspace rather than the warp, so you won't see as much of the sprouting horns and fleshy bits as you do on other Legions. They'll just be using waylaid Imperial kit (or well-maintained Heresy kit)- it's way easier to just arrange for a shipment to be "lost" than hide and operate their own forges (or have to deal with the Dark Mechanicum, they always want weird poo poo, not good ol' cash like a corrupt Imperial cargo hauler).

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ro5s posted:

The Tomb King book was easily the worst in 8th edition though and Bretonnians had nothing since 6th edition. A better example would be the Wood Elves, who languished for a long time and constantly had people saying they weren't worth the effort until they got a good book with good models and started selling like mad.

Then they shitcanned the game.

Yeah, it's not like I wanted to start a woodelf army at that time too.

At least Celestine is fairly popular. Though I hope they aren't looking at the Sisters of Silence as a test run of Sisters of Battle... since they aren't the same.
In an era where they aren't making Tyranid Warriors anymore, it doesn't look hopeful.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

LordAba posted:

In an era where they aren't making Tyranid Warriors anymore, it doesn't look hopeful.

Wait, what?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Bee posted:

Wait, what?

A bit hyperbole on my part but: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Tyranid-Warriors

Not temporarily sold out like a lot of the other tyranid stuff, just straight up not available.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

LordAba posted:

A bit hyperbole on my part but: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Tyranid-Warriors

Not temporarily sold out like a lot of the other tyranid stuff, just straight up not available.

Whats with that anyway?

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

LordAba posted:

Yet they're available in other territories. This is just them reboxing stuff for 8th - the start collecting boxes that went and came back were marked no longer available. Their stock system sees it as retiring a product and introducing a new one as the contents is different, it's not that they're just not being sold again.

Shoddy systems, not squatting.

Finished up my first contemptor dread for my marines (new army for 8th). Basing WIP obviously. Pretty pleased with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Agentdark posted:

Whats with that anyway?

Same goes with Wolf Guard Terminators.
Could be pretty much anything from a future revamp to the molds giving up.

Nifara posted:

Yet they're available in other territories. This is just them reboxing stuff for 8th - the start collecting boxes that went and came back were marked no longer available. Their stock system sees it as retiring a product and introducing a new one as the contents is different, it's not that they're just not being sold again.

Shoddy systems, not squatting.

Or that. :v: