Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Every time someone shittalks Ashly Burch because she played an intentionally obnoxious character in Borderlands 2 please remind them that she also played Chloe in Life is Strange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

OddObserver posted:

Wonder WTH went wrong with voicing of Elliot's dad in II, though.

Nothing at all?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

RPG thread: my brain is broken and I can't get enough turn-based combat with twists that make you have to make interesting decisions. I've played every Zeboyd game even though they're all kinda not good. The best I've found have been, weirdly enough, RPG Maker games like Echoes of Aetheria. Any other recommendations in this vein?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

RPG thread: my brain is broken and I can't get enough turn-based combat with twists that make you have to make interesting decisions. I've played every Zeboyd game even though they're all kinda not good. The best I've found have been, weirdly enough, RPG Maker games like Echoes of Aetheria. Any other recommendations in this vein?

Have you tried Bravley Default?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Have you tried Bravley Default?
I loved both Bravely games and am in fact a kind of rabid defender of them in this very thread! The brave/default system is super good and I love it

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Arc Rise Fantasia

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Every time someone shittalks Ashly Burch because she played an intentionally obnoxious character in Borderlands 2 please remind them that she also played Chloe in Life is Strange

She also had some really bad line deliveries in Horizon: Zero Dawn. I liked her Ash Whatcha Playin videos, so I was surprised when I looked up who voiced Aloy and found out it was her.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

IShallRiseAgain posted:

She also had some really bad line deliveries in Horizon: Zero Dawn. I liked her Ash Whatcha Playin videos, so I was surprised when I looked up who voiced Aloy and found out it was her.

There's bits of Zero Dawn where you can tell they didn't have the director available for whatever reason. I'm guessing stuff was added later in development.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Cursed to voice terrible characters amirite

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

millium is my friend

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
weird question but what happened to the Mass Effect Andromeda single player thread

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tired Moritz posted:

Cursed to voice terrible characters amirite

Not..even remotely?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

weird question but what happened to the Mass Effect Andromeda single player thread

There was only a single player

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sakurazuka posted:

There was only a single player

RIP

(did it get deleted or something)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

kirbysuperstar posted:

Not..even remotely?

She voiced a teenage girl who was kind of selfish and inconsiderate and this causes some people's minds to break.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

mycot posted:

She voiced a teenage girl who was kind of selfish and inconsiderate and this causes some people's minds to break.

thats not what borderlands 2 was about at all!!!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I still can't believe Mr. Torgue won the photography contest

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Feels Villeneuve posted:

We said all there was to say about how crap the game is, so the mods turned it into the gaming food megathread.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It was a very bad game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

why are you posting this in multiple threads

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
All I know about the thread is the goon passionate about loving the cat alien.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

corn in the bible posted:

why are you posting this in multiple threads

Because I wanted to find the Mass Effect Andromeda single player thread.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Because I wanted to find the Mass Effect Andromeda single player thread.
why

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

the kind of guy who mods in juhani romance to kotor

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I wanted to see some funny posts from fellow gamers.

Also because they just announced there's not going to be any SP DLC support which was really funny.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

that sounds real funny, a source of some choice "lols"

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Is Atelier Sophie really a bad game? I never played an Atelier title and was thinking of getting it since I only have a PC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ither posted:

Is Atelier Sophie really a bad game? I never played an Atelier title and was thinking of getting it since I only have a PC.

It's not really a terrible game or anything, it's just that it's a big step down from the last set of games and is pretty cheap and budget. If you just want a game where you craft poo poo and see light anime antics then it's fine enough at its job. It's just disappointing to people who came in off of the Dusk series which is among the best Atelier has ever been and is a lot more fully featured.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's one of the worst Atelier games but the main loop of gathering poo poo and crafting and killing stuff is still okay if you like that sort of thing.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ither posted:

It's cute and its chill, but kind of undercooked. It's not a bad game, but it's near the bottom of the Atelier series for sure. If you can get it on sale around 20 bucks, I think that'd be a solid price for it.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Levantine posted:

It's cute and its chill, but kind of undercooked. It's not a bad game, but it's near the bottom of the Atelier series for sure. If you can get it on sale around 20 bucks, I think that'd be a solid price for it.

It's going for $23 right now

Edit: On Vita, I mean

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The vita port of sophie is acceptable, though it still chugs obviously. never play firis on a vita, even if you want to play firis for some reason

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Mass Effect thread is gone, but if you are up for a thread about tasty gaming food, I suggest you check out this https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796973

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Tired Moritz posted:

He's like that in every thread.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

As I'm playing it right now, Might and Magic VII has a turn-based mode. Being able to stop time and switch from real-time to turn-based combat has saved my rear end countless times.

Also, Wizardry 8. I like it for the way you have to think about positioning: If there are a lot of enemies around, you'll get surrounded if you don't think ahead with how your party stands around. Dying to lowly bugs because they quite literally bite your rear end is an embarrassing lesson taught by this game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Monster Hunter Stories has a decent turn-based system. Full game comes out on 9/8, but the demo is out now.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Libluini posted:

As I'm playing it right now, Might and Magic VII has a turn-based mode. Being able to stop time and switch from real-time to turn-based combat has saved my rear end countless times.

Also, Wizardry 8. I like it for the way you have to think about positioning: If there are a lot of enemies around, you'll get surrounded if you don't think ahead with how your party stands around. Dying to lowly bugs because they quite literally bite your rear end is an embarrassing lesson taught by this game.

I've never once switched to turn-based oddly enough in MM7, even as I'm also playing it now. Then again I keep constantly dying.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

LISA: The Painful RPG
  • I filter out the Anime tag in my Steam-search. It's good that there's at least one game out there you can play a balding, middle-aged, drug-addicted martial-arts teacher in a world populated solely by sweaty, shirtless, fat dudes.

• The combat is pure turn-based but it feels punchier since your dudes are all animated going full-wrestler on the opposition. You can do bonus damage by inputting moves manually like Sabin's Blitz but it's not mandatory.

• I saved-scummed a lot when using campfires. I got smacked in the head a dozen separate times before restarting.

• Like a lot of RPGs the first act is the hardest part. There are three boss fights in the first zone that are best dispatched with the three batches limited firebombs you find. You used your firebombs on ordinary enemies? Toooooooo bad.

• Undertale had novel yet shallow gameplay and little optional content; outside of the reactive story there is nothing to talk about. LISA demands you learn the mechanics or you won't pass, and on the optional side there's three whole islands, a russian-roulette house, a wrestling tournament and four dojos just on the wayside.

• At one point you have to choose between losing an arm or losing all your money and consumables. You can bypass this sacrifice by selling all your consumables and investing in hats for embarrassed middle-aged men.

• The world is an ugly place but it's all very consistently drawn and animated. I hated how in Undertale the art varied from "Lovingly-Animated-Shopkeeper" to "My First RPG Maker Project".

• Status-effects actually work in this RPG. Enemies and Bosses can get blinded, pissed, stunned, tripped, and set on fire. The effects are all grounded in reality. No one gets petrified or turned into a frog but they can succumb to crying or drug-withdrawal.

• There are 30 party-members, or rather 29 party-members and Birdie. Birdie can spit gasoline on an enemy which blinds them and makes them flammable. This synergizes with the main-character's fireball so well that the last thirds are a cakewalk. Birdie may as well be on the box-art.

• 99 percent of the enemies are hand-placed, and when they're gone they're gone. As a concession you can grind against a select few random enemies. Sadly of the 30 party-members you're best sticking to 3 since there is no real EXP catch-up mechanic, outside of the Wrestling Tournament.

• The only parts that dragged where the zones where you just plough through easy enemies, like the spiders with your abusive father's face on them.

• I wished there was at least one character who spoke in Brad's defence.

• 9/10

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

LISA: The Painful RPG
  • I filter out the Anime tag in my Steam-search.

Not well enough, bucko, because you just played through Fist of the North Star: Bad Dads Edition.