Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I thought the "cosmic string" was gonna have something to do with string theory since these beings have a different number of dimensions than us, but nope, it's a super fantasy black hole

It's a mashup of a real string theory thing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_string

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I thought the "cosmic string" was gonna have something to do with string theory since these beings have a different number of dimensions than us, but nope, it's a super fantasy black hole

Cosmic strings are one of those weird hypothetical phenomena that physicists like to come up with in their spare time. So far there's been no direct proof they actually exist, but then again for the longest time black holes were just theoretical objects too. I'm not sure Trek would've ever ventured into string theory; apparently it got big in the physics world in the 1980s and entered public consciousness in the late 1990s-2000s, and I kinda had the impression the guys behind TNG-era Trek were drawing more from ideas from the 1960s and 1970s, as well as their own made-up nonsense.

Edit: drat, beaten. Anyway, the idea of cosmic strings wasn't originally connected to string theory when it was formulated in the 1970s, but it was eventually incorporated in the intervening decades.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jeb! Repetition posted:

This is the only episode I can remember where the big threat/sci fi part is more interesting to me than the character part.

Yeah, I'm a sucker for borderline-incomprehensible aliens, and it feels like such a missed opportunity here.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Episode over. The part about the emotion that overloaded her being happiness instead of suffering was pretty cool, but otherwise it just wasn't good.

The Troi episodes are almost all bad, sadly. She's just an awfully written character, and it makes me feel bad for Marina Sirtis.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Tunicate posted:

It's a mashup of a real string theory thing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_string

Oh so it's like a quantum filament?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

MikeJF posted:

I got that US$10/AU$20 model, it's tiny and adorable.

Sadly it would appear my camera flash is broken so photo quality is poo poo.

There's like a 75% chance that at some point I'll give in, order the other five, and make a traditional Enterprise Display Wall.

Where did you get this for only ten bux? I'd totes buy Eaglemoss if they were ten bux and not like $35 each.

MorgaineDax posted:

Finally, a new celebrity couple to help me get over Chris Pratt and Anna Faris breaking up.

Holy poo poo Adam Nimoy is like living the dream-- he is kind of making a career somewhat off of his father but without being accused of full off-milking his pops like Brian Herbert. And now he's hitched to Best Dax? drat.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

jeeves posted:

Holy poo poo Adam Nimoy is like living the dream-- he is kind of making a career somewhat off of his father but without being accused of full off-milking his pops like Brian Herbert. And now he's hitched to Best Dax? drat.

It helps that he didn't take over the Spock character and then :regd08:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

jeeves posted:

Where did you get this for only ten bux? I'd totes buy Eaglemoss if they were ten bux and not like $35 each.

The D is the first subscription issue and it's usually a $10 charge. They ramp up to $40 for two ships per month after that. IMO, it's only worth it if you're after some of the early releases that are constantly sold out in the store because you can just buy the rest anywhere. You don't even get a discount with the sub, plus their customer service is poo poo and every third or fourth shipment is crushed and damaged because they only pack one lovely airbag in each box.

Ask me all about my adventures with Eaglemoss, I'm the idiot that subscribed for almost two years. :shepicide:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

There's an Eaglemoss discount right now that makes them about $15 (with $80 or more) . I've gotten a little collection of Starfleet ships in the past few weeks, and though everything about the website itself is poo poo, the models themselves are quite nice.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I got them for $20 AUD but I saw them on the US site as $10 USD. These are the tiny ones. I'm not sure how I got to the US site now though, it's forcing me to AU pretty hard.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Lord Hydronium posted:

There's an Eaglemoss discount right now that makes them about $15 (with $80 or more) . I've gotten a little collection of Starfleet ships in the past few weeks, and though everything about the website itself is poo poo, the models themselves are quite nice.

You must have better luck than I do. Of the 30+ ships that came in the mail during my sub, at least 7 or 8 arrived with broken nacelles or broken stands. They also skipped a bunch of releases a couple times, so I'd get issues #18 and #55 in the same shipment. They even sent me an IOU in a box once for one of the "gift" ships.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Oh, I didn't subscribe, I just bought individual models. I hear subscriptions are a nightmare, so I'm unfortunately not surprised to hear that. I had a loose nacelle on the TOS Enterprise, and one that fell off entirely of the Ent-D, but both of those sit in place fine on the models (or could be glued if I wanted a more permanent solution).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow, luckily none of mine were really goofed. There were some where the paint was a bit off, and the top of my DS9 is a little bent. Other than that, it's all good. I eventually had to cancel, or rather, my credit card expired and didn't bother responding to their "give us your new credit card number" emails. I like a lot of the ships I got, but it's a lot of lovely filler ships. Like "here's some lovely concept art we turned into a model." I kept it going for as long as I did because when I saw some ships I didn't want, there would be a few upcoming that I really wanted. I would have been better off waiting and just buying the ships I wanted. The borg cube bonus was really lovely. Why bother making a big one if it's just going to be some low detail plastic poo poo with an LED inside? Also, there was often no way to refuse to bonus issues. By the time I'd get the email about telling them to not send me some bonus thing, it had already arrived.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Got back to the US shop site and it's US$21, must've been a sale last week.

Bizzare, on the Oz site it's still AUD$20 and our dollar is poo poo next to yours.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

J33uk posted:

Oh so it's like a quantum filament?

No, it's a completely different phenomenon.

I can't find the actual quote but it was something along those lines

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cojawfee posted:

Wow, luckily none of mine were really goofed. There were some where the paint was a bit off, and the top of my DS9 is a little bent. Other than that, it's all good. I eventually had to cancel, or rather, my credit card expired and didn't bother responding to their "give us your new credit card number" emails. I like a lot of the ships I got, but it's a lot of lovely filler ships. Like "here's some lovely concept art we turned into a model." I kept it going for as long as I did because when I saw some ships I didn't want, there would be a few upcoming that I really wanted. I would have been better off waiting and just buying the ships I wanted. The borg cube bonus was really lovely. Why bother making a big one if it's just going to be some low detail plastic poo poo with an LED inside? Also, there was often no way to refuse to bonus issues. By the time I'd get the email about telling them to not send me some bonus thing, it had already arrived.

I always called them as soon as I got the email for the special issues. Only ones I kept were the DS9 and NX-Refit ones.

I actually didn't mind the concept ships, that stuff is always kind of cool. The issues that sucked were the solo appearance alien ships, particularly from Voyager, that weren't even interesting designs. I got in the habit of scanning the behind-the-scenes pages and then tossing those issues on eBay.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The D is the first subscription issue and it's usually a $10 charge. They ramp up to $40 for two ships per month after that. IMO, it's only worth it if you're after some of the early releases that are constantly sold out in the store because you can just buy the rest anywhere. You don't even get a discount with the sub, plus their customer service is poo poo and every third or fourth shipment is crushed and damaged because they only pack one lovely airbag in each box.

Ask me all about my adventures with Eaglemoss, I'm the idiot that subscribed for almost two years. :shepicide:

Don't they just send you like whatever is the current issue and then random poo poo otherwises, not in order? Like 80 of the 100 ships are kinda pure crap. Why yes I want a Bajorian Solar Sail ship sure...

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've had a couple arrive broken and I sent them a picture of the damage. I got a new one in a week or so. I even got one of the special editions (Klingon D4) that was missing the plastic fork stand thingy and they sent me a complete replacement.

They have skipped quite a few lately, but I'm sure they'll make it up.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

jeeves posted:

Don't they just send you like whatever is the current issue and then random poo poo otherwises, not in order? Like 80 of the 100 ships are kinda pure crap. Why yes I want a Bajorian Solar Sail ship sure...

I like that they've got the TMP Enterprise and the Enterprise-A as separate models despite them being, you know, identical. And they've got a bunch of really ugly CGI designs from the 'remastered' TOS episodes. Really, the Bajoran sailship is one of the good ones...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

jeeves posted:

Nope. You get them in order, unless they're out of stock. In that case, they usually only skip a couple issues. I never got any of the recent models unless it was a special issue or something.

Angry Salami posted:

I like that they've got the TMP Enterprise and the Enterprise-A as separate models despite them being, you know, identical. And they've got a bunch of really ugly CGI designs from the 'remastered' TOS episodes. Really, the Bajoran sailship is one of the good ones...

I love the sailship, but the tiny fragile connections holding the sails to the hull snapped off instantly. Props for Eaglemoss trying to make the model, but there's no way to make that design sturdy at that scale.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 20, 2017

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Well, I found the most terrifying thing:

https://twitter.com/reneauberjonois/status/514074506155925504

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

not a Talosian

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TWO WEEKS

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
So I just watched the penultimate episode of Enterprise; I'll watch the finale tomorrow. And I'm about mid-way through season 4 of Voyager. As silly as Voyager is, it's a better show. I don't understand how nobody at Paramount thought to make any significant changes to Enterprise, especially after they had that first full season under their belts. They had to realize there was nothing interesting or innovative about it, which is a shame because there was so much potential. Seasons 3 and 4 were an improvement, but a marginal one. 100 episodes in, and aside from T'Pol, every character is tissue paper-thin. I do like Phlox. TWO THUMBS DOWN.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just stop now, you already watched the real finale of the show.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

For real. These Are The Voyages has zero redeeming value.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

hiddenriverninja posted:

For real. These Are The Voyages has zero redeeming value.

Fat Riker is kinda funny

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Ha, no, I'm already aware of some of what happens in the finale (Trip dies, Riker shows up for some reason), but I have to see it through to the end. Then I can get back to my first viewing of Voyager...aside from the first season and a half, which I watched during its original broadcast. I graduated college mid-way through season 2 and pretty much stopped watching TV for a while. gently caress I am OLD. Once I'm done with Voyager, I'll get to work on DS9. I found DS9 to be kinda dull (I stopped watching it and VOY at about the same time), but everyone seems to agree it gets much better after the first couple seasons.

Seriously, though, at what point in this graph do you decide to make real changes:

Apparently the network decided to make a change where I put the arrow.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Lincoln posted:

Seriously, though, at what point in this graph do you decide to make real changes:

Apparently the network decided to make a change where I put the arrow.

They did decide to make a change, around where you put the arrow, or likely well before that. They declined to renew it and didn't look back.

As for content, you might as well extend the graph out 12 more years and put "... and counting" at the end of it, the way Discovery is looking.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That viewership graph wouldn't be unusual even for a good show, but they should have panicked before the ratings moved below 3 because they were clearly headed there by the ebbs of season 2.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think it was Braga who admitted that he was super burned out on ST but took the showrunner job anyway.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I'm catching up with the Twin Peaks revival, and noticed John Billingsley playing a doctor again in one of the episodes. Phlox was one of my favorite parts of Enterprise.

David Lynch seems to have an awful lot of Star Trek actors in his stuff

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'm excited to watch Data's Day because it's the most promising episode title ever.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm excited to watch Data's Day because it's the most promising episode title ever.

It's a good one

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Jeb! Repetition posted:

tell us what you think itll be about

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It's really fun, in my opinion.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

tell us what you think itll be about

I'm imagining it'll start with Data "waking up" from a power charge or some kind of short deactivation, then it'll go through an ordinary day shown completely from his perspective. It'll be cool if what he observes implies stories that are happening to other characters or the enterprise itself but you have to piece it together. Also I think someone in the thread said the "Enterprise must be threatened" rule only held through season 3 so maybe it'll really be a mundane day, but if not it would be cool if Data discovers something and singlehandedly saves the Enterprise and no one else even realizes it, and at the end it has the classic ironic "just another day" moment.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm imagining it'll start with Data "waking up" from a power charge or some kind of short deactivation, then it'll go through an ordinary day shown completely from his perspective. It'll be cool if what he observes implies stories that are happening to other characters or the enterprise itself but you have to piece it together. Also I think someone in the thread said the "Enterprise must be threatened" rule only held through season 3 so maybe it'll really be a mundane day, but if not it would be cool if Data discovers something and singlehandedly saves the Enterprise and no one else even realizes it, and at the end it has the classic ironic "just another day" moment.

You're way more right than you think, except for Data doesn't sleep at all, so it does not begin with him waking up.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

You're way more right than you think, except for Data doesn't sleep at all, so it does not begin with him waking up.

That's an interesting thought, actually. How is Data powered?

I know he's said something about drinking lubricant as a social thing, but he obviously doesn't need to eat. Does he have another hatch on his skull with a solar panel inside or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Data's Day is a real gem of an episode. And it features the best recurring TNG character, Spot.