Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Arivia posted:

Who? Also that's not a link to goddamn Zak.
https://twitter.com/a_man_in_black/status/897993256734048256

When poo poo like this keeps happening the statement "there are no gatekeepers" is at best notably ignorant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

https://twitter.com/a_man_in_black/status/897993256734048256

When poo poo like this keeps happening the statement "there are no gatekeepers" is at best notably ignorant.

That's fair, and Zak doing that sucks poo poo.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Cease to Hope posted:

it's celebrating the fact that nobody gives a poo poo that he wrote a creepy fetish book. "there are no gatekeepers"

It's ironic for him to say there's no gatekeepers, as a white man writing an adventure for a very popular (by indie rpg standards) old-school rpg series. Keep in mind that the Ennies are awarded based on public voting, so a nominated game being able to leverage an established community through kickstarter, social media, or forum groups, gives it a huge edge.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
It's also super great to see the author claiming anyone turned off by the piss wizard poo poo is just a conservative prude, nice to see that aspect of Zak S brand nonsense showing around.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
There will always be gatekeepers. There is no cure, but we can always try and treat it when we see the symptoms.

Anybody who claims otherwise is wrong or a liar, in my opinion.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There will always be gatekeepers. There is no cure, but we can always try and treat it when we see the symptoms.

Anybody who claims otherwise is wrong or a liar, in my opinion.
So what you're saying is we should all try to be keymasters?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Sure, why not?

A lot of us are more Rick Moranises than Sigourney Weavers, anyway.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Arivia posted:

Sorry, I should have said heart. And I don't like Zak but that's still a good post.
The idea that you should pursue your own vision and gently caress the haters and people will respond is awesome. It's really weird that he almost exclusively talks about doing that in terms of writing D&D modules though.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
modules where African pygmy stereotypes rape people to death as a joke about Willy Wonka

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ewen Cluney posted:

The idea that you should pursue your own vision and gently caress the haters and people will respond is awesome. It's really weird that he almost exclusively talks about doing that in terms of writing D&D modules though.

Considering it's about winning an RPG award, it does make some sense.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

That and all of the modules are just hardcore "this is my fetish, but it totally isn't, teehee, I'm using subtext to say this so you can't call me a pervert". Sometimes writers, all strips of writers, get horny. That happens/that's unavoidable. Just as long as they don't grip the pen with their genitals and start scribbling away. All of that dude's modules I've seen have weight gain fetishism and eroguro fetishism and his other main work (a module that forces Christianity into D&D so your characters can fight Satan in an abandoned spookhouse) has age regression, more weight gain and the fact that he draws all of his own art for the module has resulted in him paying particular attention to detail to the things inflicted on characters in the setting like a prostitute who was flayed before death and now exists as a sexy skinless corpse with unsettling detail paid to the musculature and fat of a body without skin.

And yes, mostly good reviews for his work despite being offensive at worst and at best deeply, deeply uninspired and so entrenched in referencing pop culture that you can still hear him jerking off through the references. If Ernest Cline was a relatively unknown indie game designer and actively writing while horny, you would have these works. The fact of the matter is that the dude is unknown and most people would just pass these mature modules with a "no, I don't want something rated mature for my players" and everyone who gave it a good review is probably going to anyway because they're the sort of person who saw a mature module based on Willy Wonka and said "I am willingly consuming this product because I want this product".

This is a circuitous route of saying do not engage further in his works, you'll only make yourself unhappy, and be the change you want to see in the world.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Arivia posted:

Considering it's about winning an RPG award, it does make some sense.

Its okay because they're actually Peruvian.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I can see the appeal of "dark willy wonka"(and honestly i'd bet that most people never looked past that elevator pitch when voting for it.) but blood in the chocolate isn't even that it's just gross and full of rape.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Man, Willy Wonka already dark, he disfigures a bunch of kids in custom made traps designed to both appeal to and punish their misbehaviors. The only way to make it darker is to show the kids dying or something.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Right but i mean dark aesthetically not just thematically

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It looks like the Warhammer 40k books are back in drivethrurpg as PDFs:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/65872/Dark-Heresy-Core-Rulebook

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/84793/Deathwatch-Core-Rulebook

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/65991/Rogue-Trader-Core-Rulebook

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/96085/Black-Crusade-Core-Rulebook

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
So did BitC get Sad Puppied into first place then?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Does it count as "sad puppy"-ing if you're asking your internet friends/game design peers to vote in a popularity contest for you?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
No, because the direct voting isn't based on a wide-based membership vote; it's by a panel of judges.

I guess a lot of people liked the concept, either despite or because of it's, uh, Magical Realm?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

And far more affordable now. Neat

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Wait, Ulisses Spiele? I thought C7 had Warhammer now. Or do they just have Fantasy?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Everybody who voted for it now has to play through it. Nerd law.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

That Old Tree posted:

Wait, Ulisses Spiele? I thought C7 had Warhammer now. Or do they just have Fantasy?

Spiele has 40K, (and is doing a new game with no relation to previous rules, apparently?) C7 has Fantasy and Age of Sigmar.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The ENnies have always been hilariously corrupt. Previously, it was just D&D winning everything every time. Then 4e came out, and it became Pathfinder winning everything. Near the end of 4e's era, the OSR all but took over EN World, and since then, you get a few good awards...and then the inevitable OSR shitshow.

Anyways, Blood and Chocolate didn't win because it was good, it won because EN World, perhaps hilariously, has been more or less crippled by 5e and the OSR is kinda all they have left. Everyone there loved 3e with a passion (after all, it started as a 3e fansite), and everyone there hated 4e with a passion, but...loving nobody is actually passionate about 5e, especially nowadays. The fact that there were no Paizo products at all should be a real big warning sign that the ENnies are if anything only getting worse.

Reminder, WotC won "best publisher of the year" award. They didn't actually publish anything.

Also yeah no there is absolutely still nonstop gatekeeping in the hobby, some OSR fuckhead got through out of sheer nepotism and is now pronouncing Everything Is Cool Forever, which mimics, uh, basically every pop culture everything that has ever existed. In fact, I can't think of a better example of trad games gatekeeping still existing then their adventure with the racist rape gangs getting the award.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah we need a real community award that won't just suckle at the teat of the Wizards/Paizo. The problem is there aren't any groups willing to take the job up who could do a good job and manage to be widespread enough to matter. (I could start an awards ceremony tomorrow but without a convention presence i might as well not exist.)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

It's probably not that difficult to get a table at Dragonmeet if some UK goons front an award ceremony (might be too late for this year, but not next year)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
On RPG.Net I can't even find a thread about the Ennie winners. It's not a representative sample, but I really wonder how many people are paying attention.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Well, as someone who actually bought "Maze of the Blue Medusa" based on hearsay only to find out how bad it is later on while reading through it, I can safely say that a lot of people donīt read the stuff they vote or buy, and mostly ignore any reviews for it, not because of ignorance but selection bias. "This thing Iīve chosen to acquire, surely it canīt be as bad as this person describes? Iīll have to see for myself!". And Zak is winning again, because of nerd fallacies.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Maxwell Lord posted:

On RPG.Net I can't even find a thread about the Ennie winners. It's not a representative sample, but I really wonder how many people are paying attention.

As the internet increasingly divides itself into social media, forums like EN World (or, well, here, obviously) have stopped getting new blood almost entirely. SA may be a dead and dying, but so is everything else. The ENnies never mattered, but they've been growing increasingly irrelevant as NOBODY new is being introduced to the awards, and fewer and fewer people who did know about it care. At one point, it was little more then a sad contest to see if WotC or Paizo had more fans who paid attention (Paizo typically won). With WotC just...not releasing anything anymore, and Pathfinder growing longer and longer in the tooth, that isn't really happening.

Also everything OSR is terrible and gets rave reviews because the OSR itself is an increasingly insulated group that only really ventures into the public to harass people, typically women. At one point there were tons of OSR kickstarters...except it was the same group of people donating to every single one AND starting them. Just the same pool of money, moving back and forth between, never actually adding more, never actually growing.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

ProfessorCirno posted:

As the internet increasingly divides itself into social media, forums like EN World (or, well, here, obviously) have stopped getting new blood almost entirely. SA may be a dead and dying, but so is everything else. The ENnies never mattered, but they've been growing increasingly irrelevant as NOBODY new is being introduced to the awards, and fewer and fewer people who did know about it care. At one point, it was little more then a sad contest to see if WotC or Paizo had more fans who paid attention (Paizo typically won). With WotC just...not releasing anything anymore, and Pathfinder growing longer and longer in the tooth, that isn't really happening.

Wasnīt there some sorta thread or something about how many members and growth different internet resources have compared to each other? From...like 2015 or somewhere around that date, that showcased that most internet action is actually beyond the circles of SA and rpg.NET and instead goes on at pages like...I donīt know storyteller-games.com or something like that?

Wouldnīt that imply that the hobby is both alive and well, but our own sight of it has grown so dim in the light of the small part of this hobby we are illuminating ourselves, that we lost sight of the rest (which in turn would be correct for every part only looking at itself?)? A sort of internet navel gazing, if you will?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Yeah, GenCon attendance holds steady or grows every year, so I don't think things are quite as dire as all that.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I'm not saying the hobby or industry is faring poorly, I'm saying forums and their (bad) award shows are.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Maxwell Lord posted:

As far as I can tell, there is no way to discuss the Ennie winners on RPG.net without most of the thread coping bans of varying sorts.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ProfessorCirno posted:

Also everything OSR is terrible and gets rave reviews because the OSR itself is an increasingly insulated group that only really ventures into the public to harass people, typically women. At one point there were tons of OSR kickstarters...except it was the same group of people donating to every single one AND starting them. Just the same pool of money, moving back and forth between, never actually adding more, never actually growing.

gently caress you(not to say there aren't douches and/or morons in the OSR movement, but to dismiss an entire subgenre like that is just an rear end in a top hat thing to do)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

drrockso20 posted:

gently caress you(not to say there aren't douches and/or morons in the OSR movement, but to dismiss an entire subgenre like that is just an rear end in a top hat thing to do)

Oh no I dismissed the "movement" that isn't moving and is built around defending the likes of zak, Raggi, that Frog Gods dude who goes to cons to sexually harass women, RPG Pundit, and what the gently caress ever even happened to that loving one other dude, you know the one?

Now where will I get my adventures that aren't actually well built but hey if I roll bad a group of disgusting stereotypes run out and rape me? Guess I'll have to make do without...

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

Oh no I dismissed the "movement" that isn't moving and is built around defending the likes of zak, Raggi, that Frog Gods dude who goes to cons to sexually harass women, RPG Pundit, and what the gently caress ever even happened to that loving one other dude, you know the one?

Now where will I get my adventures that aren't actually well built but hey if I roll bad a group of disgusting stereotypes run out and rape me? Guess I'll have to make do without...

Godbound is good

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

Wait, what? I like Frog God's products :(

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Arivia posted:

Wait, what? I like Frog God's products :(

Same. :(

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Bill Webb literally injured a Paizo employee at their con because they were trying to stop him from harassing someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Angrymog posted:

As far as I can tell, there is no way to discuss the Ennie winners on RPG.net without most of the thread coping bans of varying sorts.

Yeah, if nothing else it would probably fall under the site rule against "importing cross-forum drama" since it's a dedicated enworld award.

• Locked thread