Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Murderist posted:

Windswept is incredible and I've had multiple workdays spent listening to it on repeat.. If I'm not wrong that was the music playing in that end-of-episode scene where Coop is sadly admiring the lawman statue's shoes?

Yes, that's the one. "Windswept" is pretty much Dougie's leitmotif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

tbh a fan edit with the extended Jeffries scene + the fan stare added in would be kind of perfect.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure I've mentioned this before but the one Missing Pieces scene I think shoulda made it into the movie for sure is the one where Leland teaches Sarah and Laura some Norwegian or the song in Norwegian or whatever it is.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

I'm sure I've mentioned this before but the one Missing Pieces scene I think shoulda made it into the movie for sure is the one where Leland teaches Sarah and Laura some Norwegian or the song in Norwegian or whatever it is.

Is that the cut dinner scene? Because I would definitely want that back in, too. It works so well to see two very different family meals in the Palmer household.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

This show has made me into a huge fan of the Chromatics and Johnny Jewel. I loved "Shadow" and "Windswept," and that led me deeper into their back catalogue (since Jewel is a member of the Chromatics too). His label, Italians Do It Better, has tons of great music, mostly involving him, and the vast majority is REALLY cheap. I'm talking $1 album downloads and $3 CDs. I suspect it would appeal to most of you.

http://italiansdoitbetter.bigcartel.com/

And I'm sure this link has already been posted several dozens of pages back, but I doubt everyone saw it the first time.
Thanks for posting this, I'm buying the Cherry and Windswept albums for sure, I've just been listening to the stuff on youtube.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

Is that the cut dinner scene? Because I would definitely want that back in, too. It works so well to see two very different family meals in the Palmer household.

Yep, that's the one. And yeah the contrast between the other one is great, and kind of this one moment of calm showing that they were able to be a family, even for just a brief moment, is very powerful to me.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
The most impactful scene in Missing Pieces to me is the scene between Sarah and Laura where it implies that Sarah knows about the abuse and that it's "happening again" and breaks down. That changes so much about the show for me.

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

RBX posted:

I love this man. He also has the perfect weird voice that matches the type of poo poo he makes.

I've put together a series of videos on twitter about the references to Pascal in the new series. Kind of goes hand in hand with the account posting similarities between his art and The Return.https://twitter.com/Rappin4Safety/status/893636822592389121

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

zelah posted:

The most impactful scene in Missing Pieces to me is the scene between Sarah and Laura where it implies that Sarah knows about the abuse and that it's "happening again" and breaks down. That changes so much about the show for me.

This comes directly after the "Fan scene", to the extent that it's the same scene. Also, what seems to precipitate the "it's happening again" and Sarah breaking down is her looking for her blue sweater while she was already wearing it. I never understood why that would set Sarah Palmer off, exactly.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

kaworu posted:

I actually would love it if season 3 doubled back on this somehow. We know Laura is important and that has been underscored, but the tragedy that was her life remains something largely silent this season, for whatever reason. I would like it if Lynch tied it all together some classic free-associative Lynchian fashion, I'm sure he will :cool:

Basically, I'm saying that Ray Wise and Sheryl Lee ARE a part of the cast and I'm fairly certain he didn't bring each of them back for that one scene in the second episode. At least, I hope not - it would be a criminal waste of two very good actors, on a basic level.

Yeah, this is basically the only major thing I have found "missing" this season, but like you I have confidence it/they will be featured.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Maybe Sarah acted the way she did in those scenes because she has a literal monster inside of her?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

kaworu posted:

This comes directly after the "Fan scene", to the extent that it's the same scene. Also, what seems to precipitate the "it's happening again" and Sarah breaking down is her looking for her blue sweater while she was already wearing it. I never understood why that would set Sarah Palmer off, exactly.

I think it was that she realized she was mentally foggy and maybe that knew it came from being drugged by Leland, and that he did that when he was abusing Laura.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

cis autodrag posted:

A lot of my friends have experienced sexual assault and having listened to and supported them through their own stories, FWWM is an intensely powerful movie. Maybe it's not Lynch's best work, but it's about the most emotional true depiction of domestic abuse ever put on screen and some of my friends have said they watching it was like a year of therapy.

Watching it with the cut stuff added back on really dilutes that impact and I think it's important they FWWM is separate, a story about Laura and only Laura.

I agree pretty much. Not that I think the film is perfect, but that it's weakest parts are kind of the extraneous parts separate from Laura's story which were either hampered by production issues (like Kyle MacLachlan barely wanting anything to do with it at the time) or because it never ended up being made into the trilogy Lynch wanted it to be to fill in additional details (one can only guess but I imagine a lot of what we're seeing in season 3 is an evolution of those ideas), but everything as related to Laura is really well done and gives her character a lot of humanity that quite possibly wasn't an option on television at that time, let alone done in the way FWWM did.

Also FWWM doesnt really let Leland off the hook, it definitely introduces enough ambiguity just how much agency he really had which furthers into the original show asking how much is BOB just a evil macguffin making people doing bad things or some kind of thing we sum up as the kind of evil we metaphorically sum up what people do to make it more palatable.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Berke Negri posted:

Also FWWM doesnt really let Leland off the hook, it definitely introduces enough ambiguity just how much agency he really had which furthers into the original show asking how much is BOB just a evil macguffin making people doing bad things or some kind of thing we sum up as the kind of evil we metaphorically sum up what people do to make it more palatable.
Yeah that thing about BOB just being an evil macguffin in certain episodes is honestly the worst part of the original show, and bothers me way more than a goofy James plotline or whatever. The episodes Lynch actually directs + FWWM keeps things from going too far into that direction, but the episodes made by the b-team directors/writers really play up the wrong aspects about Leland and BOB. Cooper even has some absurd line that's played completely straight at some point about how literal evil ghosts are the only believable explanation for why incestuous abuse might occur.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 20, 2017

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Well plenty of posters think Richard just has to be the by-product of Booper cause he's a real bad dude because no one is ever a bad dude when they're a born rich poo poo on super coke in a one Norma's Diner Town, especially from a upstanding line like the Horne family that were only involved with sex trafficking and murder and drugs in the original series.

But maybe that'll prove true, we'll all know in three weeks at the most.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This season opens up the possibility that Mr. C raped Audrey when he supposedly "visited" her shortly after season 2's ending according to Doc Hayward (Which carries plenty of weird implications on its own), but I agree with your general point that it could end up being another example of how the supernatural aspect of the show might be softening the blow too much.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

zelah posted:

I think it was that she realized she was mentally foggy and maybe that knew it came from being drugged by Leland, and that he did that when he was abusing Laura.

I never understood why in FWWM Sarah so willingly drinks the milk with the drug in it

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Like Ben and Jerry Horne set up a system to funnel girls barely out of high school into a literal borderline illegal brothel for at least how many years? And also claimed "first dibs" on new girls many of which were their employees in a town where working the department store or receptionist desk at great northern is your solid gig if you're a woman. Also hired contract killers to kill people, arsonist to burn down the lumber yard that employed half the town, etc

Richard ran over a kid while on drugs though so yeah that's probably booper

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

eleven extra elephants posted:

I never understood why in FWWM Sarah so willingly drinks the milk with the drug in it

I'm gonna say it's probably because she would rather be unconscious than having to actually confront what Leland is doing.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

Like Ben and Jerry Horne set up a system to funnel girls barely out of high school into a literal borderline illegal brothel for at least how many years? And also claimed "first dibs" on new girls many of which were their employees in a town where working the department store or receptionist desk at great northern is your solid gig if you're a woman. Also hired contract killers to kill people, arsonist to burn down the lumber yard that employed half the town, etc

Regardless I think Booper really is his dad. Maybe we'll find out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Berke Negri posted:

You definitely haven't been paying attention if you think "does bad things too" is the only reason people think Richard is Booper's kid

edit: And yes, you're right that people can be evil on their own without having an evil spirit possessing them in Twin Peaks, but being born from a literal walking representation of evil probably would instill some evil in you

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 20, 2017

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Bummer to see people who haven't even seen FWWM proper talk about how it's improved with a bunch of stuff edited into it by internet randos. I just don't get it, it's like people advocating for the Alan Smithee cut of Dune.

The Missing Pieces are cool, they are amazing to have, and it took decades of fans begging and Lynch fighting with rights owners to get them out there. The fact that he got them all color corrected and edited them together into a nice 90-minute package is awesome. He's done that with Blue Velvet and Inland Empire as well, and these featurettes are great compliments to the films themselves. I would advocate that people just let them be what they are, instead of pretending that there are two versions of FWWM.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Had no idea Blue Velvet had one huh.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Blue Velvet one is really good. There's an excellent scene where they're sitting around in Sandy's basement watching a tv show about prom queens dragging armchairs on a racetrack.

eleven extra elephants posted:

the scary finger was thirsty

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

chime_on posted:

Bummer to see people who haven't even seen FWWM proper talk about how it's improved with a bunch of stuff edited into it by internet randos. I just don't get it, it's like people advocating for the Alan Smithee cut of Dune.

Yeah, bummer how I like the version that has some of my favourite scenes in it :jerkbag:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Is the 2x4 scene available online anywhere? It sounds amazing.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, bummer how I like the version that has some of my favourite scenes in it :jerkbag:

It's a bummer to me, yes. FWWM is one of the best films of the 90s, and there are people in this thread thinking that they're talking about it, but they're talking about things that are not actually a part of the film. It confuses and obscures the actual art that Lynch created, both with FWWM and TMP.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

eSporks posted:

Is the 2x4 scene available online anywhere? It sounds amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txPcLOtbG3s

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like Twin Peaks but let's not pretend FWWM is anywheres close to top films of the 90s

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Empress Brosephine posted:

I like Twin Peaks but let's not pretend FWWM is anywheres close to top films of the 90s

Yeah that's hyperbolic. It's not even the top Lynch film of the 90s.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

This should be used as evidence in that lawsuit against Home Depot because their 2x4s aren't actually 2"x4".

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

hanales posted:

Yeah that's hyperbolic. It's not even the top Lynch film of the 90s.

I love all of Lynch's films with the exception of The Elephant Man, which still has plenty to like about it. FWWM to me is neck and neck with Eraserhead for his best film, full stop.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Hot take: FWWM fan edit with the Missing Pieces is the superior version and is the only one you should watch (has the convenience store scene, the Philip scene, the normal family dinner scene, Big Ed)

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CJacobs posted:

You definitely haven't been paying attention if you think "does bad things too" is the only reason people think Richard is Booper's kid

edit: And yes, you're right that people can be evil on their own without having an evil spirit possessing them in Twin Peaks, but being born from a literal walking representation of evil probably would instill some evil in you

Laura wasn't evil just because BOB was in Leland when she was conceived. I think the show wants you to believe that this is what's going on, and I hope that it's actually something else. Richard Horne being evil because his father is evil (and not because of upbringing, just biology) sounds really Eugenics-y to me.

Alan_Shore posted:

Hot take: FWWM fan edit with the Missing Pieces is the superior version and is the only one you should watch (has the convenience store scene, the Philip scene, the normal family dinner scene, Big Ed)

Watching all of season two might bore you, but watching all of FWWM actively angers some folks. Roger Ebert called it "simpleminded and scornful of its audience", and that's certainly how it can feel because it strips Twin Peaks of most things people enjoy. I think it's an interesting film, but it's still a tough sit, no matter how you slice it. Adding the missing pieces can make it more bearable, at least.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

The only part of FWWM that I can remember not caring about is the Donna party stuff.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I watched FWWM before I started S3 (I had just watched the original series as well) but skipped TMP. Sounds like it has some good stuff though, guess I’ll check it out!

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Breadallelogram posted:

The only part of FWWM that I can remember not caring about is the Donna party stuff.

The Pink Room? That's got one of Lynch's best tracks (both musically and visually).

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

If you take anything in twin peaks as an argument on eugenics I would probably read less into things

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Tolkien minority posted:

If you take anything in twin peaks as an argument on eugenics I would probably read less into things

One of the "traits" that the use of eugenics was intended to remove from the gene pool was a lack of moral fiber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

oneforthevine posted:

The Pink Room? That's got one of Lynch's best tracks (both musically and visually).

Yeah this is probably the most creative scene in the entire film even if it's not my favourite.