Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

roffels posted:

Would it have been too hard to use Aquaman's 'a'?

I just thought their logos looked like they spelled out "SAW" and made the connection after the fact :shrug:

Also I'm using MSpaint sooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If you crop Aquaman just right, you could probably make it seem like he's taking a poo poo.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The MSJ posted:

It's one of those things where it takes a while to see the big, gaping picture. It is art.

aquaman's seriously doing the trident poke button mash that won evo there

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I can't help but feel that Marvel took the note that their movies are bit drab visually and made Thor a psychedelic mess out of spite.

YOU WAN'T COLOURS? HAVE EVERY COLOUR THERE EVER WAS MOTHERFUCKERS!

It's like when videogames were first able to do coloured lighting and just went bonkers with it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

joedevola posted:

I can't help but feel that Marvel took the note that their movies are bit drab visually and made Thor a psychedelic mess out of spite.

It's like when videogames were first able to do coloured lighting and just went bonkers with it.

It's only the posters. The trailers have nothing like that going on

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

joedevola posted:

So, there actually is something going on there. I read that they generally want the same sort of feel across all of their movies, so they use the same cameras for every movie. But going forward things will be more colorful, as they switched to a new camera starting with Guardians of the Galaxy 2, which was also very colorful. So yeah, the movies are going to be more Thor: Ragnarok than Captain America: The First Avenger.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

joedevola posted:

What does visually drab even mean? It's not exactly Batman V. Superman levels of colour being drained out of every image, is it?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

So, there actually is something going on there. I read that they generally want the same sort of feel across all of their movies, so they use the same cameras for every movie. But going forward things will be more colorful, as they switched to a new camera starting with Guardians of the Galaxy 2, which was also very colorful. So yeah, the movies are going to be more Thor: Ragnarok than Captain America: The First Avenger.

Are u referring to this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpWYtXtmEFQ

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Nihonniboku posted:

I think their cosmic stuff is a bit more colorful in general because it is goofy space stuff and they want to have one feel to the cosmic and another for the more earthbound stuff.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Actually, yeah. That's where I heard that information.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't remember Homecoming looking particularly drab, so I don't think it's a separation of earth and cosmic.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

And More posted:

What does visually drab even mean?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Has DC been stealing Marvel's black paint buckets?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Brown is drab, black is stylistic.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

I just thought their logos looked like they spelled out "SAW" and made the connection after the fact :shrug:

Also I'm using MSpaint sooooo

"Are you seriously SAWing the justice league, Rick!?"

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

A SAW-like superhero movie would loving own. Have some super-villain prepare torture chambers with devices designed with the heroes' weaknesses in mind where they have to solve puzzles not to kill one another BAM, that's a hit.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I have no idea what the word "drab" means, but like hell if I'm going to let someone criticize my brand.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Schwarzwald posted:

I have no idea what the word "drab" means, but like hell if I'm going to let someone criticize my brand.

Nice strawman you've got there. :)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Palpek posted:

A SAW-like superhero movie would loving own. Have some super-villain prepare torture chambers with devices designed with the heroes' weaknesses in mind where they have to solve puzzles not to kill one another BAM, that's a hit.

Will it be resolved by the end of the movie or would we have to wait until next week, same Bat-Time, same Bat-Channel?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Palpek posted:

Literally watch the latest Rick and Morty, it's this exactly

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

And More posted:

What does visually drab even mean? It's not exactly Batman V. Superman levels of colour being drained out of every image, is it?

Batman v Superman is not desaturated or color-drained. Indeed, there is very overt and deliberate use of color. But also, remember, that white and black are part of the color spectrum, and they inform the imagery just as much as red, white, and blue. These color patterns actually overlap considerably, suggesting the osmosis of Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne's own worlds, their own subjectives, which colors and what symbols consume their experience and what they reflect about themselves.

What is attributed to desaturation is actually just the prevalence of stark contrast in the film's lighting and Fong/Snyder's decision to "crush the blacks," to deliberately underexpose the film just enough to emphasize shadows even in scenes which are actually rather thoroughly lit, in broad daylight, in order to create a sense of palpable, even uncomfortable texture.

The 'desaturation'/'color-drained' meme is a misinterpretation of what the filmmakers choose to portray. Clark Kent is buried on a solemn and overcast autumn day. MAN WHERE'S THE COLOR?!?!?!

Here's the kicker. If you actually do even a clumsy desaturation of Beavis - IT LOOKS FANTASTIC, AND LIKE THE EXACT POLAR OPPOSITE OF 'DRAB'

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

All DC movies should just be black and white.

Much like the new Batman's moral compass.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

These two scenes in particular were pretty arresting when I watched it in the theatre.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The sequel to everyone's favorite discount store.

Six Below: Inflation

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

K. Waste posted:

The 'desaturation'/'color-drained' meme is a misinterpretation of what the filmmakers choose to portray. Clark Kent is buried on a solemn and overcast autumn day. MAN WHERE'S THE COLOR?!?!?!

Here's the kicker. If you actually do even a clumsy desaturation of Beavis - IT LOOKS FANTASTIC, AND LIKE THE EXACT POLAR OPPOSITE OF 'DRAB'

Just to get back to the Avengers looking drab, though, the central fight scenes are so dark and cluttered with rain and dust in BVS. It's often difficult to tell what colour things (like Wonder Woman's armour) are supposed to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VxQHdDDCO4

The Avengers may not necessarily pop as much as people would like, but it's surely easier to determine different colours in this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udKE1ksKWDE

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Why is that important?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you couldn't see the green you might confuse Hulk and Black Widow.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Like, why isn't Hulk as green as he is in Hulk (2003)? He literally leaps off the screen in that one, yet it's a far more seriousminded film than Avengers.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

And More posted:

Just to get back to the Avengers looking drab, though, the central fight scenes are so dark and cluttered with rain and dust in BVS. It's often difficult to tell what colour things (like Wonder Woman's armour) are supposed to be:

The Avengers may not necessarily pop as much as people would like, but it's surely easier to determine different colours in this scene:

Why is the color of Wonder Woman's chestplate pertinent to the conflict?

Again, let's see the film with no color at all:

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

And More posted:

if those videos prove anything it's that BvS looks way better in 60fps than The Avengers does.

also you can skip anywhere in that BvS vid and find an awesome shot.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

SleepCousinDeath posted:

if those videos prove anything it's that BvS looks way better in 60fps than The Avengers does.

also you can skip anywhere in that BvS vid and find an awesome shot.

I think the issue with DC movies is that many single frames looks very cool but are a confused mess in motion.

There has yet to be a Marvel action scene that I couldn't follow. However I'm lost right away in DC stuff aside from the Batman warehouse fight in BVS.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Inzombiac posted:

There has yet to be a Marvel action scene that I couldn't follow.

That cafeteria fight in Civil War was a mess.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well you see Diana wants to get from the one side to the other.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I think the issue with DC movies is that many single frames looks very cool but are a confused mess in motion.

There has yet to be a Marvel action scene that I couldn't follow. However I'm lost right away in DC stuff aside from the Batman warehouse fight in BVS.

Sounds like a personal problem.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

K. Waste posted:

Batman v Superman is not desaturated or color-drained. Indeed, there is very overt and deliberate use of color. But also, remember, that white and black are part of the color spectrum, and they inform the imagery just as much as red, white, and blue. These color patterns actually overlap considerably, suggesting the osmosis of Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne's own worlds, their own subjectives, which colors and what symbols consume their experience and what they reflect about themselves.

What is attributed to desaturation is actually just the prevalence of stark contrast in the film's lighting and Fong/Snyder's decision to "crush the blacks," to deliberately underexpose the film just enough to emphasize shadows even in scenes which are actually rather thoroughly lit, in broad daylight, in order to create a sense of palpable, even uncomfortable texture.

Nah.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

You present some strong counter-points, Magic Hate Ball, but I agree with K. Waste and think they made a really good post.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

LesterGroans posted:

That cafeteria fight in Civil War was a mess.

I've seen it less than 10 days ago.
It's not hard to follow, it's just not that interesting.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Inzombiac posted:

I've seen it less than 10 days ago.
It's not hard to follow, it's just not that interesting.

I'd say it's both. The whole geography and weight is completely off during the Black Widow and Black Panther parts. It's just edited so choppily.

There are a couple okay action beats in Civil War (I like the Giant Man stuff) but I remember hearing one of the John Wick guys choreographed it and then being incredibly disappointed with all the hand-to-hand stuff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The stealth infiltration at the beginning of Winter Soldier has a lot of really terrible cuts but the progress isn't hard to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Of all the many complaints one could level against BvS, 'It isn't visually striking' feels kinda bizarre and nonsensical. There's plenty I dislike about the editing, scriptwriting, performances and themes of that movie, but it's certainly a stylishly composed sequence of images.