Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
https://goatkcd.com/936/

sadly this isn't nearly as amusing as id hoped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mo_Steel posted:

Can't wait to have a password manager implanted in a chip in my arm that I unlock with a specific set of hand gestures along with a voice password and then find some way to get it to autotype using my nerve endings, let's get this techno future going already.

Make the wrong gesture or give the wrong voice password and the chip fries itself. :black101:

*jerking off motion*

"i'm in"

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

https://goatkcd.com/936/

sadly this isn't nearly as amusing as id hoped

1875 is slightly better. Yet sadly far less security related.

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now

maskenfreiheit posted:

that's fine tbh... the big thing is i have it in place and if they give away my $ without it they're 100% liable and possibly getting slapped by the ftc for deceptive practices.

(esp. important for retirement accts)

This happened to the chief technologist of the FTC and.... nothing happened. I cant find an article confirming that she did not have a pin or passphrase associated with the account, but it happened to Krebs as well

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blogs/techftc/2016/06/your-mobile-phone-account-could-be-hijacked-identity-thief

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Can you point to some past FTC enforcement actions against companies who customer service reps allow account changes without suffient authorization?

not specifically.

but at the higher level, if you make a representatiom about your product, if you don't follow through that's a deceptive trade practice.

so if you say "we offer verbal passwords to ensure no unauthorized persons can use your brokerage account" (which several companies do) then authorize a trade w/o it, that's a deceptive trade practice, which triggers section 5 authority

(The SEC probably has some stuff that applies too but nothing I can rattle off the top of my head)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

maskenfreiheit posted:

not specifically.

but at the higher level, if you make a representatiom about your product, if you don't follow through that's a deceptive trade practice.

so if you say "we offer verbal passwords to ensure no unauthorized persons can use your brokerage account" (which several companies do) then authorize a trade w/o it, that's a deceptive trade practice, which triggers section 5 authority

(The SEC probably has some stuff that applies too but nothing I can rattle off the top of my head)

I don't think it counts as deceptive trade practices if they have the official policy of "mandatory verbal passwords" and then just incentivize the gently caress out of breaking that rule with inane call center evaluation metrics. right?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't think it counts as deceptive trade practices if they have the official policy of "mandatory verbal passwords" and then just incentivize the gently caress out of breaking that rule with inane call center evaluation metrics. right?

if you market a feature/policy then don't follow it, that's deceptive. the entirety of the ftc's privacy authority, for example, comes from the fact that if you publish a privacy policy then don't follow it, that is a deceptive trade practice.

similarly, making security claims of ways you protect a user's data then not following through are also deceptive.

now, if they discipline the rep and make the customer whole, nothing would come of it, and i suspect someone who's account was drained w/o the verbal PW would almost certainly be made whole.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
https://twitter.com/coderobe/status/899338754690883584

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

maskenfreiheit posted:

that's fine tbh... the big thing is i have it in place and if they give away my $ without it they're 100% liable and possibly getting slapped by the ftc for deceptive practices.

(esp. important for retirement accts)

maskenfreiheit posted:

if you market a feature/policy then don't follow it, that's deceptive. the entirety of the ftc's privacy authority, for example, comes from the fact that if you publish a privacy policy then don't follow it, that is a deceptive trade practice.

similarly, making security claims of ways you protect a user's data then not following through are also deceptive.

now, if they discipline the rep and make the customer whole, nothing would come of it, and i suspect someone who's account was drained w/o the verbal PW would almost certainly be made whole.

My bank account is protected by a SMS, because actual two factor is too hard for banks. Hackers take 5 figures from me. Who, pray tell, ACTUALLY makes me whole here, in reality?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Volmarias posted:

My bank account is protected by a SMS, because actual two factor is too hard for banks. Hackers take 5 figures from me. Who, pray tell, ACTUALLY makes me whole here, in reality?

it's my understanding you're not responsible for fraud, you should file a police report and threaten to contact CFPB.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
my credit union has supported 2fa via totp for years.

suck it up nationwide bank customers

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

maskenfreiheit posted:

it's my understanding you're not responsible for fraud, you should file a police report and threaten to contact CFPB.

that's almost definitely the case but given what i know about banks i can't imagine getting the money back will be an easy or painless process

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

vOv posted:

that's almost definitely the case but given what i know about banks i can't imagine getting the money back will be an easy or painless process

yeah, this is why i have two checking accounts

one is direct deposit, and pays out to rent, ccs, etc.

the other i keep a couple k in and use at atms to get walking around money

worst case if someone skims my atm pin it's not as huge an issue

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

i have only debt so if someone steals my atm pin lol jokes on them

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

maskenfreiheit posted:

literally everything you post gives more evidence to the idea that you're participating in some kind of criminal enterprise

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

CommunistPancake posted:

literally everything you post gives more evidence to the idea that you're participating in some kind of criminal enterprise

don't dox me

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

maskenfreiheit posted:

poo poo that's not a bad idea

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

poo poo that's not a bad idea

yeah the problem is if someone drains your account they can keep the funds frozen while they investigate, and then your rent/cc bills go unpaid.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

CommunistPancake posted:

lol if you arent gently caress the law

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CommunistPancake posted:

i have three checking accounts do i look like a criminal :ohdear:

(it's so I can physically separate my "fun money", my wife's "fun money" and the "don't touch this it pays the bills" money because i can't logically separate them because i am bad)

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

ate all the Oreos posted:

i have three checking accounts do i look like a criminal :ohdear:

(it's so I can physically separate my "fun money", my wife's "fun money" and the "don't touch this it pays the bills" money because i can't logically separate them because i am bad)

so which dark net market do you run?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

maskenfreiheit posted:

so which dark net market do you run?

criminalfloweroutlet (dot) org

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I really really hope that multiple accounts doesn't flag anything

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

at one point i was doing what flyertalk calls "manufactured spending".

this involves artifically generating charges on a credit card to meet a minimum spending requirement and receive sweet, sweet airline points.

the general idea was to purchase generic visa gift cards. they passed a law that these cards have to be able to be run as debit cards. you can use debit cards to buy money orders.

so you buy a bunch of $500 gift cards at kroger (2.99 per 500), use them to buy money orders at like 25¢ per 1k, then deposit the money order at your bank - funds immediately become available because it's a MO, and then you can pay down the couple thousand on your CC immediately so you're not at your CL limit.

i did this with two different credit cards, generating enough points to fly to prague and back first class, and nobody batted an eye

it takes a lot to weird out banks, they have godview and people are weird

the main thing they're worried about is withdrawals or transfers over 10k, or people doing a series of transactions that are under 10k.

so as long as you don't withdraw 9999k from both accounts in one day nobody cares.

now that internet banks are a thing it's incredibly common to have a local bank to get a good rate on a mortgage and be able to deposit cash, and an internet bank that refunds atm fees so you don't have to hunt

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

i mean i have all the accounts linked to each other so i can do transfers and they're all set up with direct deposit so like they're about as un-hidden as possible

... i'm on a terrorist watch list aren't I :sigh:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i bet now you'll think twice before committing a terror

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/raulmarcosl/status/899572749768773632

Half a million stolen and counting.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
edit: someone posted this before me i am bad

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

it just works!

and works
and works
and works
and works
and works
and works

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

maskenfreiheit posted:

You can set up a verbal password on your cell provider so any changes require that password (or going into a store and presenting a physical ID).

I have this set up on all my bank accounts too.

doesn't matter much when the helpful Verizon CSR just waves you through without it and lets your account get hijacked 4 times in a week. Happened to my coworker in the next office and the walls were really thin so I got to hear all his fun conversations with their lovely support

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

doesn't matter much when the helpful Verizon CSR just waves you through without it and lets your account get hijacked 4 times in a week. Happened to my coworker in the next office and the walls were really thin so I got to hear all his fun conversations with their lovely support

i'm sure someone's done the math and they lose less money just letting people get hacked than they'd lose from people forgetting their password and consuming way more customer service time

see, the free market works!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
That's actually the funny thing, from a friend who remained at Sarnsung for far too long. Carriers don't care about users rooting their phones to get around whatever garbage is there, which is what you'd think. They care about users rooting their phones because of the support costs of these people inevitably loving it up and the front line CSRs and phone sales people not knowing what to do with it.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Volmarias posted:

That's actually the funny thing, from a friend who remained at Sarnsung for far too long. Carriers don't care about users rooting their phones to get around whatever garbage is there, which is what you'd think. They care about users rooting their phones because of the support costs of these people inevitably loving it up and the front line CSRs and phone sales people not knowing what to do with it.

it seems like "you hosed up your phone and voided the warranty and we're (seriously) not responsible for it so hey, buy a new phone" wouldn't be such a bad deal

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it seems like "you hosed up your phone and voided the warranty and we're (seriously) not responsible for it so hey, buy a new phone" wouldn't be such a bad deal

i guarantee you people don't start out by saying "oh by the way i rooted it," they just go "it broke fix it"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ate all the Oreos posted:

i'm sure someone's done the math and they lose less money just letting people get hacked than they'd lose from people forgetting their password and consuming way more customer service time

see, the free market works!

that's basically it

cost benefit analysis means the consumer loses every time

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

thing is that the customer that shows up either; 1) obnoxiously ties up your customer service for ages, demanding to talk to ever-higher-up managers, and referring to random forum posts by people claiming to work for the carrier making strange promises; or; 2) pays a $300 monthly bill streaming 10 bpc anime from home around the clock and paying for every extra imaginable

in both cases they are far better off if they can keep them from messing up their phone to start with

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

thing is that the customer that shows up either; 1) obnoxiously ties up your customer service for ages, demanding to talk to ever-higher-up managers, and referring to random forum posts by people claiming to work for the carrier making strange promises; or; 2) pays a $300 monthly bill streaming 10 bpc anime from home around the clock and paying for every extra imaginable

in both cases they are far better off if they can keep them from messing up their phone to start with

yeah that makes sense.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

speaking of usernames, it appears that if you work for SHI (samsung heavy industries) you can just pick whatever the gently caress you want for your @samsung.com e-mail address so if you deal with them on the reg then you will see some weird poo poo in your SMTP transport logs. based on a bunch of internal systems doco i found for their internal stuff a while back their e-mail addys match their UPNs so their e-mail is effectively their username for most SSO stuff.

i think DSME (daewoo shipbuilding & marine engineering) does this as well, maybe it's a SK thing...

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

has there ever been anything butt related that wasn't a hilarious clusterfuck of stupidity and bad life decisions?

the only thing I can think of is satoshi loving off into the sunset before the lolbertarians showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Harik posted:

has there ever been anything butt related that wasn't a hilarious clusterfuck of stupidity and bad life decisions?

the only thing I can think of is satoshi loving off into the sunset before the lolbertarians showed up.
maybe you should tell your doctor about your butt problems

• Locked thread