Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

Bill Webb literally injured a Paizo employee at their con because they were trying to stop him from harassing someone.

That's incredibly lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

I'm not saying the hobby or industry is faring poorly, I'm saying forums and their (bad) award shows are.

Then they are not gatekeeping the community.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In fact why do you guys even care if an imbecilic Charlie and the Chocolate Factory pastiche won an award if the only people who may be aware of it are the inhabitants of a dying forum centered on North America instead of the global TTRPG community as a whole, who is moving towards another directions.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
You sort of answered your own question there.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ProfessorCirno posted:

The ENnies have always been hilariously corrupt. Previously, it was just D&D winning everything every time. Then 4e came out, and it became Pathfinder winning everything. Near the end of 4e's era, the OSR all but took over EN World, and since then, you get a few good awards...and then the inevitable OSR shitshow.

Anyways, Blood and Chocolate didn't win because it was good, it won because EN World, perhaps hilariously, has been more or less crippled by 5e and the OSR is kinda all they have left. Everyone there loved 3e with a passion (after all, it started as a 3e fansite), and everyone there hated 4e with a passion, but...loving nobody is actually passionate about 5e, especially nowadays. The fact that there were no Paizo products at all should be a real big warning sign that the ENnies are if anything only getting worse.

Reminder, WotC won "best publisher of the year" award. They didn't actually publish anything.

They put out Tales of the Yawning Portal this year. I guess that was enough to get the Fan's Choice for Best Publisher and for the book to win a Judge's spotlight. :shrug:

They have a couple of other books scheduled to come out in September and November, too, but lol. One Paizo product was nominated but didn't win (Pathfinder Pawns: Villain Codex Box).

I think that there are a lot of decent products put out with old-school rules and made by decent people, but I have no idea how connected they are to the clique within the OSR community that includes toxic people. Absolutely more should be done to expunge toxic elements from an industry, but there's plenty of people across internet groups that are willing to ignore or dismiss it to avoid drama/appear "professional"/they don't like the "tone" of the conversation or whatever. I don't know what can be done besides continuing to call it out every time it happens and hope more people listen until it hits critical mass?

Plutonis posted:

In fact why do you guys even care if an imbecilic Charlie and the Chocolate Factory pastiche won an award if the only people who may be aware of it are the inhabitants of a dying forum centered on North America instead of the global TTRPG community as a whole, who is moving towards another directions.

it's a poorly designed adventure even if you put all the bad fluff aside, but it's true that the awards are pretty irrelevant.

What are the global trends in ttrpg communities?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Yeah, if nothing else it would probably fall under the site rule against "importing cross-forum drama" since it's a dedicated enworld award.

FWIW, the cross-forum drama thing doesn't apply if there's no drama. You could talk about the ENies (probably even the inflation adventure) as long as it didn't turn into boy, those ENWorld posters are a bunch of silly fellows aren't they or something.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Also, it looks like the Industry Thread is also having ENnies chat, so you should probably take it there.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nuns with Guns posted:

What are the global trends in ttrpg communities?

based on the samples I've spoken to, free-form anime and game of thrones roleplay threads

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mr.Misfit posted:

Wasnīt there some sorta thread or something about how many members and growth different internet resources have compared to each other? From...like 2015 or somewhere around that date, that showcased that most internet action is actually beyond the circles of SA and rpg.NET and instead goes on at pages like...I donīt know storyteller-games.com or something like that?

Wouldnīt that imply that the hobby is both alive and well, but our own sight of it has grown so dim in the light of the small part of this hobby we are illuminating ourselves, that we lost sight of the rest (which in turn would be correct for every part only looking at itself?)? A sort of internet navel gazing, if you will?

Are you sure? I checked story-games.com and it seemed pretty dead.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

based on the samples I've spoken to, free-form anime and game of thrones roleplay threads

Same as it ever was.

Same as it ever was.

Same as it ever was.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Countblanc posted:

Freeform/fandom RPing has always been a thing, but separated from tabletop RPGs. Have there been more attempts at integration or adapting RPGs into freeform spaces?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Nuns with Guns posted:

Freeform/fandom RPing has always been a thing, but separated from tabletop RPGs. Have there been more attempts at integration or adapting RPGs into freeform spaces?

I've never understood those. 90% of them seem to break down within a few posts or weeks at most, yet people hammer away at them.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hyphz posted:

I've never understood those. 90% of them seem to break down within a few posts or weeks at most, yet people hammer away at them.

Sounds like a typical pbp experience to me

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

hyphz posted:

Back in the usenet days there were a few free form RP threads that went on for literally years

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Covok posted:

Are you sure? I checked story-games.com and it seemed pretty dead.

Thatīs the problem with memory. Iīm sure it was some sorta page named like that, but I donīt exactly remember. Iīll have to hunt down the article in question again I suppose, because it was a really fascinating look at some numbers which you usually donīt get because people donīt like to be reminded of their diminishing importance, especially on trpg-forums.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Andrast posted:

Sounds like a typical pbp experience to me

That's what's so odd. There's whole fora of freeform RPs that never get beyond intros with anime pictures or starters, yet the same people start them over and over. Nobody ever says "hey guys, this isn't working".

What are they looking for/hoping for?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

hyphz posted:

They want to RP their mary sue being the extra special awesome main character of the universe and have everyone else fawn over how amazing and wonderful they are

Problem is that they all want to be the extra special main character of the universe so anyone not playing into that is an rear end in a top hat godmoding funhater

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

hyphz posted:

I've never done freeform stuff either, but friends who have make it sound like the motivation to do it is the same as lot of RPG players: wish fulfillment/power fantasies. Except with no rules, or at most some basic stats and a few dice rolls to adjudicate fights that break out. And it's usually set in a specific fandom's universe where people play their favorite characters or self-inserts.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

I've never done freeform stuff either, but friends who have make it sound like the motivation to do it is the same as lot of RPG players: wish fulfillment/power fantasies. Except with no rules, or at most some basic stats and a few dice rolls to adjudicate fights that break out. And it's usually set in a specific fandom's universe where people play their favorite characters or self-inserts.

I mean, it's as good a use of your time as "serious" RPing.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Yawgmoth posted:

They want to RP their mary sue being the extra special awesome main character of the universe and have everyone else fawn over how amazing and wonderful they are

Problem is that they all want to be the extra special main character of the universe so anyone not playing into that is an rear end in a top hat godmoding funhater

Oh god, memories of Second Life freeform role players. Which is exactly the same except one or all of the people involved are paying $195/month for hosting the zone. GOMO and drama everywhere.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Plutonis posted:

I mean, it's as good a use of your time as "serious" RPing.

No, I agree. There's not much difference in freeform RPing online vs playing an RPG.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

hyphz posted:

Oh god, memories of Second Life freeform role players. Which is exactly the same except one or all of the people involved are paying $195/month for hosting the zone. GOMO and drama everywhere.
Ahahahaha that reminds me of a woman in one of my graduate classes who did a huge presentation on Second Life being the future of online business and talking up how great it was for this that and the other thing, then when she went to demonstrate it a dude with a zebra head wielding a giant dildo came running through and smacking everyone & everything he could. I don't think I've ever seen someone yank a cord out of their laptop as fast as she did.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

hyphz posted:

Speaking as a terminal PBP flake, I want to do more gaming than I even remotely have time for. The idea of a game I can post in in my free time here and there (or at work) is great but inevitably I hit a part where life goes crazy or I run out of ideas and don't post for a week, and once the momentum's gone that's it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gradenko_2000 posted:

It looks like the Warhammer 40k books are back in drivethrurpg as PDFs:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/65872/Dark-Heresy-Core-Rulebook

A half-gigabyte rulebook is certainly something.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mr.Misfit posted:

Thatīs the problem with memory. Iīm sure it was some sorta page named like that, but I donīt exactly remember. Iīll have to hunt down the article in question again I suppose, because it was a really fascinating look at some numbers which you usually donīt get because people donīt like to be reminded of their diminishing importance, especially on trpg-forums.

If you can find it, that'd be useful. It'd be cool to get in on this hip-new TRPG scene and talk some brass tacks with hip young people.

I'm not old.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

ProfessorCirno posted:

Bill Webb literally injured a Paizo employee at their con because they were trying to stop him from harassing someone.

I'd like to hear more about this if you have anything you can point me to because this is in fact incredibly lovely and the first I've heard of it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Reene posted:

I'd like to hear more about this if you have anything you can point me to because this is in fact incredibly lovely and the first I've heard of it.

https://twitter.com/Sphynxian/status/882439561237995520

Freelancer who works with Paizo. Some people from other cons in the thread that it's really not out of character for Webb at all.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Thanks for the info. Fortunately my group doesn't own anything he's made but it's good to be aware.

Covok
May 27, 2013

So, some of you may know I run a Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game on Saturday. Some of you may also know that I recently recruiter 3 SA posters because two of the players...well, let's go into it.

It's after Charolettesville's Nazi march. A political discussion impromtu starts in the discord. It is mostly civil with everyone condeming the Nazis.

Flashforward, a few days later. Trump walks back his condemnation of the Nazis. This leads to some players bringing it up in the discord and..chaos reigns. It goes from "republicans have no voice in government and constantly under attack: we are the real minority" to "I'm afraid to come out as republican" to "the google guy was fired for wrong reasons: men and women are biologically different and that's why women choose not to work in tech" to "parents are forcing their kids to come out as transgender to be trendy" to "kids shouldn't be thinking of gender identity or sexual orientation: they're kids, their innocent, they're not perverts!" to "well, I identify as a ghostpiraterobot and if you disagree with me, I'll throw a tantrum, triggered yet?" and, that's when I kicked and banned the two players spouting all this bullshit. Should have done it sooner, but I got wrapped up in arguing with them.

One of them quietly left and has said nothing.

The other has begun to harass my players into to talking to me on his behalf, which I ignored doing and told them to block him. Not once, but twice. First time was the next day and then, again, the day of the next session. Used the fact I forgot to kick him on roll20 to try to join the game as if he wasn't banned from it and started trying to play: I kicked him from the roll20. And, now, a day later from kicking him from the roll20, I'm starting to get private messages on Roll20.

And, it was...comical.

His new avatar looked weird so, when I went to block him, I noticed something:

If you can't see, outside the context and substance of the comic itself, it also seems to be from something called "AntiFemComics."

Really loving "Shot and chaser" there with the "no you are a bigot" and a MRA comic as your avatar.

Edit: For the record, I was already considering kicking this guy because he was pulling some poo poo already. He was kind of whiny in the game itself -- I spend a plot point to have the Doom Pool succeed on the roll and got "oh, come on, please: this is bullshit! Come on, don't do this! I want to win! Come on" till I relented --, brought up bullshit mid-game like "wow, all those people who love diversity in comics seem to forget we had a black Captain Marvel in the 70s" which happened the session before Charolettesville, and refused to work within the constraints of the system like "but, why can't I just increase my stats forever? Yeah, I get that MHR isn't that kind of game and it's not about vertical advancement but I want to advance all my stats to d12s, come on, come on, let me do it, come on, come on!"

Edit Edit: I'm also laughing a bit to myself because I bet his "you are a bigot, not me" line is trying to say that I banned him for being white or male or Christians or whatever and not because he was a whiny brat who caused problems in the game and has poo poo views that demonize people for existing.

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 20, 2017

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Andrast posted:

Godbound is good

I kickstarted it and I have played four sessions of it so far and I can already see quite a few flaws. The main problem is the same with other games that explicitly model powerful characters - it becomes incredibly hard to properly gauge the opposition without accidentally having battles become totally one sided for or against the characters. Combat ended up kind of rocket tag-gy for my players in that the battles ended almost instantly or turned into a slog that they might never win.

The words have some balance issues that could probably get ironed out with some careful rewriting, but as of now things like Sword are explicitly less powerful than Bow, and both are basically inferior to several non-combat words that can sidestep fights entirely.

There are other problems that I've read about but have not yet experienced about higher level fights and how many statblocks for 'mundane' enemies make no sense and are absurdly powerful in comparison to your godbound.

My point is that as much as I want to like the game, using OSR mechanics would maybe work for one on one play or, perhaps, two godbound at most. Once you get a party of four or five players with three words each going the possibilities and interactions are basically limitless and make it impossible for a GM to quickly react while also reacting with proper threats. I will be perfectly honest in saying that I am not a good enough GM to react on the fly to some of these things in a way that was still entertaining and I doubt that too many GMs are. I feel that something more rules light is probably the only way to go in a game like this, Exalted be damned.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Covok,

Don't play with teenagers. If these dudes weren't teenagers, then that's just repulsive. Teenagers can sort of be forgiven for having idiot views temporarily because they are sheltered and ignorant. Adults have no excuse.

Good job on how you handled it. Let them find another game - you don't need to tolerate that poo poo.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Posted on my blog for The Next Project again, finally.

Some mechanical upgrades are needed for the d4 classes, so that's the topic of today's post.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Crawford's work seems to be good in spite of being OSR rather than being because of it. Like, he has a lot of GM support and random generators and setting material, but honestly Silent Legions could have been written as a PBTA game or a d20 game and be just as good, and while I leaned heavily on Stars Without Numbers's generators for plot, I still ran it with Classic Traveller.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Jimbozig posted:

Covok,

Don't play with teenagers. If these dudes weren't teenagers, then that's just repulsive. Teenagers can sort of be forgiven for having idiot views temporarily because they are sheltered and ignorant. Adults have no excuse.

Good job on how you handled it. Let them find another game - you don't need to tolerate that poo poo.

His voice was one of those weird nerd voices where it's hard to say with confidence if he was 15 or 45. I'd say likely 20-something. The other guy, not "T", was definitely mid-twenties to early thirties, though, and a Canadian conservative.

And, yeah, ever since a very bad game of 5e D&D I have got 0 tolerance for this bullshit. Maybe it was that game or maybe it was because I was turning 22 and out-of-college and had finally realized my friends in college were dirtbags, but I have lost all my tolerance for putting up with this kind of bullshit. If someone acts this way, I just sever ties and move on: no point in dealing with crap like that anymore.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

hyphz posted:

Freeform RP groups is this iceberg of enormous ongoing groups and a visible set of new ones and failures. I know someone who ran a random one about wild pokemon that had hundreds of players and like 50,000 game posts on a yahoo group of all things.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

xiw posted:

Freeform RP groups is this iceberg of enormous ongoing groups and a visible set of new ones and failures. I know someone who ran a random one about wild pokemon that had hundreds of players and like 50,000 game posts on a yahoo group of all things.

I remember going to one as a teenager and left a few months later and went on to look at it again ten years later and while it ended, it ended... After half a decade.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

P.d0t posted:

Posted on my blog for The Next Project again, finally.

Some mechanical upgrades are needed for the d4 classes, so that's the topic of today's post.

This is some interesting stuff, I've been following this project loosely for a while and wish you good luck with hashing all this out. I'll definitely try to join in on the next playtest.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah we need a real community award that won't just suckle at the teat of the Wizards/Paizo. The problem is there aren't any groups willing to take the job up who could do a good job and manage to be widespread enough to matter. (I could start an awards ceremony tomorrow but without a convention presence i might as well not exist.)

I eagerly await the 2017 Kwyndig TG Awards.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Hey goonfriends,

Anyone had a chance to try out the TORG Eternity rules that came out from the Kickstarter yet?

I've got them myself, but I really want to play it and not run it.

I might need to run a one shot for my group in attempt to convince them that TORG is supreme and they should let me be a dick head wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

kaffo posted:

Hey goonfriends,

Anyone had a chance to try out the TORG Eternity rules that came out from the Kickstarter yet?

I've got them myself, but I really want to play it and not run it.

I might need to run a one shot for my group in attempt to convince them that TORG is supreme and they should let me be a dick head wizard.
I haven't seen the rules from the KS since I didn't back it, but I did late pledge (which, sadly, doesn't give me the backer release). From what I've heard, through, it's an improvement over the original rules.

• Locked thread